Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sneakster posted:

Stolen from Trump thread:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/899316126454349824
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/899278402133295105

Starting to think that the violently anti-integration anti-racist liberal ally bourgeois considering the only options as minimum wage 39 hours/wk retail being reasonable for everyone might make them actually worse than the nazis who are at least honest about preferring segregation without hiding behind a government subsidized half a million dollar house in an all white neighborhood complaining that racism is the ugliest part of all of this.

They really aren't but they also aren't helping the situation by behaving the way they are. Trying to lump Trump, all his supporters and the alt-right into the white supremacist category is only going to embolden the latter and potentially normalize them the same way that Breitbart/Infowars is now approaching the mainstream instead of being the niche outliers they were.

Also that second tweet is quoting the WaPo story I linked earlier. It's worth a full read, although it has some flaws. I don't get how anybody could read the profile of how those six losers (and that's what they are, complete losers with nothing meaningful in their lives) became radicalized enough to travel to a white supremacist rally and think the solution to the problem is physical violence against them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...767b_story.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Call Me Charlie posted:

They really aren't but they also aren't helping the situation by behaving the way they are. Trying to lump Trump, all his supporters and the alt-right into the white supremacist category is only going to embolden the latter and potentially normalize them the same way that Breitbart/Infowars is now approaching the mainstream instead of being the niche outliers they were.

Also that second tweet is quoting the WaPo story I linked earlier. It's worth a full read, although it has some flaws. I don't get how anybody could read the profile of how those six losers (and that's what they are, complete losers with nothing meaningful in their lives) became radicalized enough to travel to a white supremacist rally and think the solution to the problem is physical violence against them.

Hahaha

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

To steal a post from your beloved Trump thread

Brony Car posted:

The Failing New York Times came out with another article to depress me:

A Deal Breaker for Trump’s Supporters? Nope. Not This Time, Either.

I despair a lot.

Yup, no normalization is going on. Any day Trump is going to resign and the nation will realize he's on par with Vanguard America....right, guys?....right? :ohdear:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Call Me Charlie posted:

Many people have traveled hundreds of miles for concerts, so the distance for spectacle isn't the dumbest thing.

You're kind of a piece of poo poo. They're losers because they're poor, the rest of its filled with embarrassing stupidity, but fundamentally their story is the same for most poor people. They're proving their point that violence becoming increasingly necessary for any kind of reform will only come through them embracing tribalism when social liberalism is tolerated in so far as it facilitates market liberalism. The people tweeting that are infinitely worse, because they're normalizing a status quo that needs to be violently torn down that's precluded by a lack of social cohesion via tribalism.

Poor people, black poor people, white poor people, even racist poor people, are in fact the victims of the system. If they had any systemic power, they wouldn't be poor. White privilege is a bizarre rhetorical contradiction where middle class white people believing in it are enlightened, and poor white people who believe it are deluded. Those people have every reason to support violence, the system is broken and their suffering is entertainment to the people responsible. Until you start seeing people getting killed in riots over UBI, the nazi spectacle is the closest thing you're going to get to non-sports related violent riots white people will organize, and liberals and conservatives relegating poverty to a minority thing has made this inevitable.

Liberals accepted the same racist rationalizations for the sake of capitalism to otherize poverty. This is just as much their fault and their unwillingness to address this makes them as bad as Trump and the Republicans, worse if you consider they're supposed to be the ones to address it.

If the nazis and antifa came to a truce and agreed capitalism had to be dismantled and rioted in the white people part of cities, it would be a glorious day.

Edit:

Jesus Christ, read the comments on the article. Its amazing how impotent racism gives leftists permission to tack far right. Just like the black guys blaming everything, not on white people, but loving jews, its their racism thats the real problem, not the system itself.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 21, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sneakster posted:

If the nazis and antifa came to a truce and agreed capitalism had to be dismantled and rioted in the white people part of cities, it would be a glorious day.

Yeah, that isn't going to happen, Antifa has good reasons to well be...anti-fascist.

That said, I do notice there is a desperate attempt to try to pretend class and inequality has nothing to do with what is going on. It is because those arguing against it don't want to "humanize" the far-right or that they simply don't want to admit economic inequality is a powerful force? Either way, the circus the situation has become hides the growing economic divide that is occurring that in many ways has cut across both race and sex.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that isn't going to happen, Antifa has good reasons to well be...anti-fascist.

That said, I do notice there is a desperate attempt to try to pretend class and inequality has nothing to do with what is going on. It is because those arguing against it don't want to "humanize" the far-right or that they simply don't want to admit economic inequality is a powerful force? Either way, the circus the situation has become hides the growing economic divide that is occurring that in many ways has cut across both race and sex.
The KKK was hired for union busting, luckily liberals picked up the slack when they found out its political correct to gently caress unions. Police brutality is a threat to white people too, bunch of those guys have criminal records, BLM is more of their natural ally than police unions and the filth that make up the court system. Does it really matter that barely employed white people alienated from society are racist any more than black people barely employed and alienated from society are racist? (anti-semitism is almost non-existent in every demographic except black people statistically).

If they were really dedicated to racism, they should have stayed in college. Black people used to call me white trash, now they beg me for change, and soon I'll be able to afford to live in an all white neighborhood. I'm not racist, I'm just capitalist, like JeffersonClay, minus his notorious scat fetish. Fiscally conservative, socially inclusive, except in housing and economic policy, its cool, I vote Democrat, not Berniecrat, lol.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sneakster posted:

If they were really dedicated to racism, they should have stayed in college. Black people used to call me white trash, now they beg me for change, and soon I'll be able to afford to live in an all white neighborhood. I'm not racist, I'm just capitalist, like JeffersonClay, minus his notorious scat fetish. Fiscally conservative, socially inclusive, except in housing and economic policy, its cool, I vote Democrat, not Berniecrat, lol.

:chloe:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, see, this is why people think you're MIGF, Sneakster.:catstare:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sneakster posted:

Many people have traveled hundreds of miles for concerts, so the distance for spectacle isn't the dumbest thing.

You're kind of a piece of poo poo. They're losers because they're poor, the rest of its filled with embarrassing stupidity, but fundamentally their story is the same for most poor people. They're proving their point that violence becoming increasingly necessary for any kind of reform will only come through them embracing tribalism when social liberalism is tolerated in so far as it facilitates market liberalism. The people tweeting that are infinitely worse, because they're normalizing a status quo that needs to be violently torn down that's precluded by a lack of social cohesion via tribalism.

Ehhhhhhh, being poor doesn't excuse people for falling in with white supremacist groups. It's a tragedy that they fell through the cracks of society and they don't deserve to get pummeled every time they walk outdoors or attempt to speak but that doesn't change the fact it takes a specific sort of person to transform into one of those extremists.

I have trouble feeling much sympathy for them despite having elements of it in my family. (My brother briefly flirted with it when he was in high school and one of my dad's best friends is a very wealthy, yet crazy, 'patriot')

The people featured in the WaPo article weren't doing it for the spectacle, they were doing it to make a statement. It's important to call them out for their behavior while also looking at the symptoms that created them. Thinking that it's possible to Captain America punch them back into the darkness is doing neither.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 21, 2017

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Should stick to posting about good(bad) chicago food IMO.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Which one was he? I recognize the name, but I can't remember anything specific.

To be clear, the things I say that induce a sense of revulsion are intentional. Society is a horrible place, and most people should be ashamed of themselves for participating. Why the hell am I supposed to be offended by white trash seeing a problem with a system when their racism is the natural reaction to the idpoll pushed by liberals who engineered the situation. Poor white people aren't the ones that cut AFDC, they aren't the ones that ramped up the drug war, but the people that did are certain poor white people are the real problem in a system they have no power in, unless not being a minority is of such a value that it justifies defending the white supremacist power structure.

Bourgeois white people are the villain, by reducing the flaws of capitalism to racism, and lumping in alienated poor people with the people who have actual power, the people who need to be threatened are inculcated from direct criticism and social violence.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ehhhhhhh, being poor doesn't excuse people for falling in with white supremacist groups. It's a tragedy that they fell through the cracks of society and they don't deserve to get pummeled every time they walk outdoors or attempt to speak but that doesn't change the fact it takes a specific sort of person to transform into one of those extremists.

I have trouble feeling much sympathy for them despite having elements of it in my family. (My brother briefly flirted with it when he was in high school and one of my dad's best friends is a very wealthy, yet crazy, 'patriot')

The people featured in the WaPo article weren't doing it for the spectacle, they were doing it to make a statement. It's important to call them out for their behavior while also looking at the symptoms that created them. Thinking that it's possible to Captain America punch them back into the darkness is doing neither.
The system is broken, and its becoming clear it can only be reformed through violence. Their ethnic-sectarian violence is going to do far more to start a necessary fire than me chasing middle class employment because I held on long enough to not have to do what needs to be done.

I've been to frat parties, they're basically white power rallies with more drugs and date rape. Those people actually have power though, but their lack of humiliation makes them less viscerally offensive.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sneakster posted:

I've been to frat parties, they're basically white power rallies with more drugs and date rape. Those people actually have power though, but their lack of humiliation makes them less viscerally offensive.

Oh, definitely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So apparently the DNC is going broke, while Republicans are swimming in donations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inescapable Duck posted:

So apparently the DNC is going broke, while Republicans are swimming in donations.

“For every blue-collar donor we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republican donors in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Oh wait, they already have a political party that caters to them... :newlol:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

If you're going to post this, at least provide the supplementary viewing material.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/899282198456655875

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/346680-post-election-chaos-leaves-dnc-far-behind-in-fundraising

quote:

Months of post-election malaise hamstrung the Democratic National Committee’s (DNC) fundraising over the first six months of 2017, creating a serious money gap with Republicans and raising questions about Democrats’ ability to take advantage of opportunities in the 2018 midterm elections.

The DNC raised $38.2 million in the first half of the year, compared with the Republican National Committee's (RNC) $75.4 million haul during that period — a $37.2 million difference. As of June 30, the RNC has almost $45 million in the bank, while the DNC has just under $7.5 million, along with $3 million in debt.

quote:

Perez noted that the party is still in the process of staffing up in a statement to The Hill.

“At the DNC, we are still building up our team, including hiring fundraising staff, and making sure every aspect of our organization is moving in lockstep,” he said.

“We’re confident that our team will raise the resources needed as we head into 2018 and beyond.”

That’s why one longtime Democratic fundraiser told The Hill that he was “shocked” the party managed to raise even as much as it has — more than it had at this point in each of the past two cycles — with such a shoestring staff.

quote:

The concerns extend beyond staffing and affect both high-dollar and low-dollar donors.

After a full-court press meant to raise hundreds of millions for Hillary Clinton’s campaign and allied groups — an effort most Democrats expected would end with her in the White House — major donors admit that they are tired.

And those donors who are used to being wooed by fundraisers featuring the president of the United States and other party luminaries in former President Barack Obama’s administration have to get used to the party’s new, diminished position, where many of the party’s old standbys are sitting on the sidelines.

On the other end of the spectrum, many progressive supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) presidential bid are still smarting from the revelation that top DNC figures were biased against Sanders throughout the primary.

Then there’s the question of a unified message, a battle still being waged in Democratic circles even after a number of party leaders backed the “Better Deal” economic plan last month.

"You've gotta give people something to be for," Democratic strategist Jamal Simmons said.

"Democratic voters are all united in believing Donald Trump should not be in office and be contained. What they're waiting on is a direct and positive agenda that they can believe in to deal with the problems the country faces."

" 'A Better Deal' was a good start, but everyone needs to start singing from the same song book," Simmons said. "We're getting there, but it's now eight months so time for us to be there."

The DNC’s fundraising woes have not extended to party committees and candidates. On the House side, both the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee each raised about $60 million in the first six months of 2017. The Republican group has a $12 million advantage in cash on hand.

Republican House candidates have narrowly outraised Democratic House candidates, $145.4 million to $142 million.

Comparing Senate candidates is more difficult, since many more Democratic incumbents than Republicans find themselves in difficult reelection fights. But the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee outraised the National Republican Senatorial Campaign by a slim $700,000 margin.

While the DNC struggles to catch up, the RNC’s fundraising operation is steaming ahead. The $75.4 million haul in the first six months of 2017 represents the most the party has ever raised in the first six months of a non-presidential election year and is far more than Democrats raised in the first six months of 2009 after Obama took office.

Trump has also been a boon for RNC fundraising. A June fundraiser at his D.C. hotel raised $10 million for his reelection and the party, according to The Associated Press.

With Trump’s help, the RNC continues to pull big money from small donors, raising $33 million in donations under $200. Through the first six months of 2017, the RNC has raised more online than it has in an entire year, with the exception of 2008.

While the DNC raised from small donors in 2017 more than it did in the first six months of any year since 2014, it still fell $11 million behind the RNC’s total.

Democratic fundraisers and donors agree that they aren’t ready to sound the alarm just yet. But they say they’ll be looking to the DNC to evaluate its path forward and make sure it has a sound strategy to move in the right direction and make sure the party has every resource it needs.

“There’s less concern about whether we have the donor base that has the resources and the checkbook to support the effort we need. It’s more about how do we come up with the strategies and the tools to really inspire our donors to give consistently,” a top Democratic fundraiser said.

"The goal should be: How do we have a fundraising strategy and infrastructure that doesn’t have to rebuild and reinvent themselves after every cycle and every loss?”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sneakster posted:

(anti-semitism is almost non-existent in every demographic except black people statistically).

lmao all of these posts were dumb but in a era with literal Nazi demonstrations, "black people are the real racists against Jews" is a special kind of asinine.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao all of these posts were dumb but in a era with literal Nazi demonstrations, "black people are the real racists against Jews" is a special kind of asinine.
It turns out that human beings are flawed. People harbor irrational tribalistic views to assert some kind of racial-conspiracy agency over society cause pissing on somebody else for existing is simpler than addressing society as a whole.

Thug Lessons posted:

Oh, definitely.
I've never really interacted with the middle class til university, and one thing I've noticed that's been bothering me is that the upper crusty frat/sorority people have an incredibly conservative culture thats extremely implicitly racist and sexist, even though they're basically endorsed by the university that's also endorsing the standard "please don't be a piece of poo poo" PC liberal jargon.

It's incredibly alien. Pretty much every authority and uh, "role model" I've interacted with has been female, to the point that interacting with sober older men who have any mathematical/technical knowledge is actually a huge novelty. I'm pretty sure middle class parts of society have a much more explicitly masculine power structure considering all the fratboys have so many daddy issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole point of class structure is that depending on how much money your parents have and where you were born, you were brought up in a completely different world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sneakster posted:

It turns out that human beings are flawed. People harbor irrational tribalistic views to assert some kind of racial-conspiracy agency over society cause pissing on somebody else for existing is simpler than addressing society as a whole.

This is stupid because black people aren't the ones staging mass rallies with "Jews will not replace us" as their primary slogan and didn't support the President that has happily thrown in with fascist anti-Semites. Black people have no power to hurt Jewish people systemically.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

readingatwork posted:

Honestly I think people are being a bit too hard on Tina Fey right now. The bit was actually pretty funny and had some great zingers in it. I'll agree that the central thesis is problematic but there IS a legitimate debate to be had on the merits of engaging vs ignoring racist rallies considering the way they thrive on conflict.
I can understand disliking the hopelessness of it, and agree that encouraging people to ignore them is completely the wrong message. I do think many people missed the part where the cake was an American flag and she was angrily tearing it apart with her fork throughout the bit. So there was a bit of a subversive tone to it. Not enough, though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kilroy posted:

I can understand disliking the hopelessness of it, and agree that encouraging people to ignore them is completely the wrong message. I do think many people missed the part where the cake was an American flag and she was angrily tearing it apart with her fork throughout the bit. So there was a bit of a subversive tone to it. Not enough, though.

tbh unless someone gets up and says "go kill the bourgeoisie today" it won't be enough

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

Trying to lump Trump, all his supporters and the alt-right into the white supremacist category is only going to embolden the latter and potentially normalize them the same way that Breitbart/Infowars is now approaching the mainstream instead of being the niche outliers they were.

it worked very well with the 'basket of deplorables' thing, which absolutely didn't backfire at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a winning strategy can be summed up in one sentence: Stop making it all about Trump.

As much as it's basically some Attention Economy silicon valley silliness, the candidate everyone's talking about tends to be the one who wins. The media and the Clinton campaign (almost the same drat thing at that point) wouldn't ever shut up about Trump and poured gasoline on that fire at every opportunity, because god knows they had fuckall of their own to actually talk about. ('read my web site') You win campaigns by making your opponent irrelevant.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

This is stupid because black people aren't the ones staging mass rallies with "Jews will not replace us" as their primary slogan and didn't support the President that has happily thrown in with fascist anti-Semites. Black people have no power to hurt Jewish people systemically.
Considering the number of anti-semitic slurs I heard when canvassing in the primary, I'm going to politely disagree. Black anti-semitism cost Sanders the DNC primary the same way wasp anti-miscegenation...ism cost !Jeb! the RNC primary.

Was it the only factor, or even the largest factor? No. Was it a relevant factor? Yes, more than people are comfortable with.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The whole point of class structure is that depending on how much money your parents have and where you were born, you were brought up in a completely different world.
Indeed. The bourgeois are much more about keeping up appearances, so there's this weird rear end 1950s-esque Americana contrasting with socially responsible modern liberal rhetoric.

I'm seeing feminist rally's and stuff for the first time, while at the same time I'm meeting guys who tell me that women have to be "trained like a dog", another guy degrading some girl mutually known by people in that group declaring having to "gently caress start her mouth", guys pouring beer on girls if they're not interested, Steve Holt looking dude saying girls dressing slutty is a cause of rape in health classes. The Greek organizations are a flat out breeding program, what the gently caress is wrong with these people. Its surreal.

This is where college educated good white middle class liberals come from.

No wonder the bourgeois have contempt for the poor, who have to be even worse than them since they're poor, when the bourgeois are already this disgusting.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

tbh unless someone gets up and says "go kill the bourgeoisie today" it won't be enough
I get drunk at parties and do exactly this. Now my social life is tinder, professors, and you fine people.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sneakster posted:

Considering the number of anti-semitic slurs I heard when canvassing in the primary, I'm going to politely disagree. Black anti-semitism cost Sanders the DNC primary the same way wasp anti-miscegenation...ism cost !Jeb! the RNC primary.

Was it the only factor, or even the largest factor? No. Was it a relevant factor? Yes, more than people are comfortable with.

There's something delightfully absurd about "a major factor in black people not supporting Bernie Sanders as a group was because they are racist against Jewish people" as a premise by a nominally left-wing person in 2017 and yet here we are.

You also unironically wrote this:

quote:

So I'm not sure why I expect any different.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think a winning strategy can be summed up in one sentence: Stop making it all about Trump.

As much as it's basically some Attention Economy silicon valley silliness, the candidate everyone's talking about tends to be the one who wins. The media and the Clinton campaign (almost the same drat thing at that point) wouldn't ever shut up about Trump and poured gasoline on that fire at every opportunity, because god knows they had fuckall of their own to actually talk about. ('read my web site') You win campaigns by making your opponent irrelevant.

The problem is both too terrible to ignore, and too easy a cover.The Martha set despises him almost much as everyone else, and in all honesty, I think his card to play at this point is corporate tax cuts.

Of course if 80% of your coverage is related to Trump, it is easy to ignore other growing issues or punch left in an editorial.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, Trump is literally the opponent the Clinton campaign wanted, because they wouldn't have to actually compete with policies.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

There's something delightfully absurd about "a major factor in black people not supporting Bernie Sanders as a group was because they are racist against Jewish people" as a premise by a nominally left-wing person in 2017 and yet here we are.

The only other people who I've ever seen argue that black people don't like Bernie are unreconstructed hillfolk lol

But I suppose it's possible that black people as a whole are lying in all those opinions polls that show that 70+% of African-Americans like Bernie just need some unskewing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cerebral Bore posted:

The only other people who I've ever seen argue that black people don't like Bernie are unreconstructed hillfolk lol

But I suppose it's possible that black people as a whole are lying in all those opinions polls that show that 70+% of African-Americans like Bernie just need some unskewing.

I mean, I don't really think the problem was ever that black people "don't like" Bernie, so much as that he was an unknown perceived as either disinterested in or poorly articulated on issues specific to the black community, while Hillary was a known quantity with a reputation with the black community that they, on balance, felt was positive. Most interviews I've seen with black Hillary supporters from the 2016 primary boiled down to "Bernie is ok, I just wanted Hillary more." I don't really think that this is entirely Bernie's fault, insofar as he only had a one-note set of talking points and didn't do any groundwork because he didn't plan to win, but a hypothetical world where Bernie started making inroads with the black community and speaking to them about issues important to them in say, 2013, probably looks very different to our own. What I do know is that black people vote disproportionately in Democratic primaries, especially the presidential primary, so having the support of the black community is important if you intend to run for office as a Democrat in many places.

The notion that they voted for Hillary out of some protofascist anti-Semitic beliefs is frankly bizarre and more than a little conspiratorial.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 21, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, Trump is literally the opponent the Clinton campaign wanted, because they wouldn't have to actually compete with policies.

Yeah, Trump had a policy of a Wall, and Hillary had no policies at all (except those provided by Goldman Sachs).

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

The notion that they voted for Hillary out of some protofascist anti-Semitic beliefs is frankly bizarre and more than a little conspiratorial.
Are you retarded? Seriously? I just showed you a Wapo article on documented exceptionally high rates of antisemitism. It exists. Victims of oppression can hold awful views too, often born out of irrational reaction to lived material conditions. I didn't say fascist, just, not big on jews. Nation of Islam dude? This isn't exactly a huge loving revelation unless your exposure to diversity starts and ends with Will Smith.

When I campaigned for Obama rednecks called him a muslim, and then said they're just not gonna vote for a black guy. Pretty sure they're racist, for irrational reasons. When I campaigned for Sanders and black dudes drunk in the middle of the afternoon started telling me about how the Jews ran the slave trade, pretty sure those guys were racist against Jewish people, for irrational reasons.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, Trump had a policy of a Wall, and Hillary had no policies at all (except those provided by Goldman Sachs).
Hmm

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 21, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yudo posted:

I agree with you; however temper your expectations: no one can or will do that. To crush a revolutionary or counterrevolutionary movement it takes way more than counter protesting. Perhaps they will go more underground, but not away.

Until we live in the anarchocommunist utopia they're going to be around. The idea isn't to remove them entirely, it's to shut them up, stop them from shouting their poo poo or being heard when they so shout it, and failing that make sure they face consequences for it. Forcing them into obscurity isn't ideal but it's good enough for now

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/899301915447709696

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

You also unironically wrote this:

So I'm not sure why I expect any different.

I'm the repeated implication that antifa are a monolith of ideology beyond "gently caress fascism"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sneakster posted:

Are you retarded? Seriously? I just showed you a Wapo article on documented exceptionally high rates of antisemitism. It exists. Victims of oppression can hold awful views too, often born out of irrational reaction to lived material conditions. I didn't say fascist, just, not big on jews. Nation of Islam dude? This isn't exactly a huge loving revelation unless your exposure to diversity starts and ends with Will Smith.

When I campaigned for Obama rednecks called him a muslim, and then said they're just not gonna vote for a black guy. Pretty sure they're racist, for irrational reasons. When I campaigned for Sanders and black dudes drunk in the middle of the afternoon started telling me about how the Jews ran the slave trade, pretty sure those guys were racist against Jewish people, for irrational reasons.

your dumb article posted:

A reader points me to the most recent ADL survey, from 2013, which shows a lower rate of black (22%) and Latino (36% foreign-born, 14% native-born) anti-Semitism than the article states. The 2011 data comes closer to matching the author’s assertion, but the overall figure there was not 12% but 15% overall, and 29% (not over 30%) for African Americans and 42 and 20% for foreign and native-born Latinos, respectively. The rates for whites were 8% and 9% in 2013 and 2011. So I’m not sure if the author is looking at different data, or just got his facts wrong. Nevertheless, the basic point, that “entrenched anti-Semitic views” are far more common among African Americans and Latinos than among others, still holds.

Your own source demonstrates that the rate appears to be falling fairly significantly, and the most recent available data is from four years ago. None of this changes the broader point, which is that you haven't demonstrated an actual causal relationship, when there are a number of other better documented reasons for why Bernie didn't do as well with the black community that aren't as sinister and asinine as your proposed one.

What I find absurd is that you're immediately jumping to the most bad faith reason you can find for why black people as a group didn't vote for Bernie, when there are plenty of good faith reasons that are well-understood.

quote:

I'm the repeated implication that antifa are a monolith of ideology beyond "gently caress fascism"

I'm fairly sure that by definition "truce with Nazis" categorically disqualifies somebody from calling themselves "antifa," just saying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sneakster posted:

Sizzling hot take for you my man: Unlike you, not all people vote strictly based on their prejudices.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I don't really think the problem was ever that black people "don't like" Bernie, so much as that he was an unknown perceived as either disinterested in or poorly articulated on issues specific to the black community, while Hillary was a known quantity with a reputation with the black community that they, on balance, felt was positive. Most interviews I've seen with black Hillary supporters from the 2016 primary boiled down to "Bernie is ok, I just wanted Hillary more." I don't really think that this is entirely Bernie's fault, insofar as he only had a one-note set of talking points and didn't do any groundwork because he didn't plan to win, but a hypothetical world where Bernie started making inroads with the black community and speaking to them about issues important to them in say, 2013, probably looks very different to our own. What I do know is that black people vote disproportionately in Democratic primaries, especially the presidential primary, so having the support of the black community is important if you intend to run for office as a Democrat in many places.

That's one take on it, but if you look at the numbers more closely I'd argue that a stronger factor is the same generational divide that we saw among all other voting blocs. It's specifically older black voters who vote disproportionately in dem primaries, after all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"This loosely organized band calls itself antifa (“anti-fascist”), and — unlike the broad coalition of activists arrayed in opposition to much of the Trump agenda — its members unapologetically embrace violence as the only sufficiently strong answer to those they see as enemies, even when those enemies are engaging in nonviolent protest."

Ok first of all loosely organized band my rear end

Second, got a whole speech ready for a meeting of leftist activist orgs this week about how antifa are willing to use violence but it's not the first resort so that I can reassure some nervous folks

Third calls for genocide aren't nonviolent shitbag

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only people who keep pointing at Sanders and yelling "He's Jewish, he's Jewish, shouldn't you be concerned?" are salty libs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

Your own source demonstrates that the rate appears to be falling fairly significantly, and the most recent available data is from four years ago. None of this changes the broader point, which is that you haven't demonstrated an actual causal relationship, when there are a number of other better documented reasons for why Bernie didn't do as well with the black community that aren't as sinister and asinine as your proposed one.

What I find absurd is that you're immediately jumping to the most bad faith reason you can find for why black people as a group didn't vote for Bernie, when there are plenty of good faith reasons that are well-understood.

I'm fairly sure that by definition "truce with Nazis" categorically disqualifies somebody from calling themselves "antifa," just saying.

I'm incredibly aware of this basic facy, I just like that migf was doing the thing I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's one take on it, but if you look at the numbers more closely I'd argue that a stronger factor is the same generational divide that we saw among all other voting blocs. It's specifically older black voters who vote disproportionately in dem primaries, after all.

I think this is true in the broad sense, but young black people also broke for Bernie in a contest against Hillary Clinton, noted old white lady famous for stuff from before most people my age were born or old enough to remember. I think a much more interesting and illustrative contest would be seeing how the demographics break for something like an Ellison/Booker match up, or Booker versus Sherrod Brown, or Ellison versus Gillibrand. Take out the name recognition and bring it back down to questions of charisma, identity, and policy positions and I think we'd be able to learn lot more about what primary voters actually look for in a candidate. Thankfully we are reaching a point where it's time for the next generation of candidates to take over.

quote:

I'm incredibly aware of this basic fact, I just like that migf was doing the thing I said

I see. I feel like I've misunderstood you. I'm sorry.

• Locked thread