Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Felicity :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is this episode not showing up on HBO GO for anyone else? They still have last week's listed as the most recent one.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, it was just weird that I had to hunt it down in a different place than normal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully next week they follow up their montage of "don't look at the sun" with this:
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/899709604963266560

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MegaZeroX posted:

John Oliver has really been hitting home runs with the humor this season compared to the previous ones. I actually laugh quite frequently now.
Most didn't actually think they were bad enough to do anything much about them proactively.

Re. nuclear waste, what a great way to create a huge issue out of nothing. Just loving dump it in the hole in the desert and be done with it, but no. Even better, recycle the spent fuel to reduce it first.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

muscles like this! posted:

Hopefully next week they follow up their montage of "don't look at the sun" with this:
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/899709604963266560

"Everyone told me not to so that's how I know it was the right thing to do. If I suffer eye damage I'll just declare war on the sun since it and only it is responsible for global warming. I bet Obama didn't have the balls to look right at the sun."

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Re. nuclear waste, what a great way to create a huge issue out of nothing. Just loving dump it in the hole in the desert and be done with it, but no. Even better, recycle the spent fuel to reduce it first.

Why don't we just reuse it!!! How has nobody ever thought of this??? Buncha dummies!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm surprised they didn't mention the fact that a big reason it's sitting around 'like bags of poo poo on the floor' at the plants that produced it is because moving it is a logistics nightmare because counties and municipalities are all "I agree it needs to be moved to be stored but if you try moving it through my area I WILL KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND FIGHT YOU FOREVER NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY!!!"

So to move nuclear waste to a central site, you'd have to take a more dangerous and exposed route that'd look like letting Jeffy wander around in a Family Circus cartoon strip, closing hundreds of miles of stretches of road at a time, and if there's a single accident, threatening to turn any one of them, from a no-name back road to an interstate, into a new Superfund site.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 22, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm surprised they didn't mention the fact that a big reason it's sitting around 'like bags of poo poo on the floor' at the plants that produced it is because moving it is a logistics nightmare because counties and municipalities are all "I agree it needs to be moved to be stored but if you try moving it through my area I WILL KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND FIGHT YOU FOREVER NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY!!!"

So to move nuclear waste to a central site, you'd have to take a more dangerous and exposed route that'd look like letting Jeffy wander around in a Family Circus cartoon strip, closing hundreds of miles of stretches of road at a time, and if there's a single accident, threatening to turn any one of them, from a no-name back road to an interstate, into a new Superfund site.

Probably 20 years ago or so, I read a great article somewhere dealing with this. They talked to the engineers who created the casks meant to transport this stuff. These are crazy-strong casks--they tested them by running big rigs into them and poo poo. The safest casks anyone could imagine... but no one wanted the stuff to be driven through their neighborhood. And this, keep in mind, was way before anyone (any layman, rather) considered that nuclear waste could possibly be something that bad guys would want to steal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Everyone told me not to so that's how I know it was the right thing to do. If I suffer eye damage I'll just declare war on the sun since it and only it is responsible for global warming. I bet Obama didn't have the balls to look right at the sun."

Tucker Carlson declared it the most impressive thing that a president has ever done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Tucker Carlson declared it the most impressive thing that a president has ever done.

Oh good god I thought you were kidding. What a loving sycophantic piece of poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Probably 20 years ago or so, I read a great article somewhere dealing with this. They talked to the engineers who created the casks meant to transport this stuff. These are crazy-strong casks--they tested them by running big rigs into them and poo poo. The safest casks anyone could imagine... but no one wanted the stuff to be driven through their neighborhood. And this, keep in mind, was way before anyone (any layman, rather) considered that nuclear waste could possibly be something that bad guys would want to steal.

Just like how the attempt to close down Guantanamo went. There's no real danger posed, but since it's a weird issue local governments feel like they can put up a fight about it, and the federal government doesn't care enough to muscle them into compliance.

And of course the same local governments will flop over themselves or even trample over local rights to accommodate fracking or oil pipelines, because corporations can bribe individuals, the federal government is limited to just actually giving out funding.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A random thought - would the federal government be able to get around the stonewalling from local governments by having the military handle the transportation? I can't imagine that local governments have the power to say "no, you can't send a military convoy through my jurisdiction", regardless of what that convoy happens to be transporting. I'm pretty sure a convincing argument could be made that nuclear waste is a national security issue, too.

Plus so much money goes into the military that they'd have to have the budget for it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm actually currently building a spent fuel containment and storage system at one of the locations referenced in the episode. There is already a dry cask system on site, but the pools have been filled to capacity for some time now, and the plant is going through decommissioning. We are building 75 vertical storage casks on-site and the required infrastructure to allow for handling of the material from the pools to the new facility (about 500' away). It's a pretty neat, albeit simple system, to be honest.

Here's the system that we're building:
https://holtecinternational.com/productsandservices/wasteandfuelmanagement/dry-cask-and-storage-transport/hi-storm/hi-storm-umax/

Also, a fun fact I learned about the site:

One of the original reactors was decommissioned and dismantled decades ago. The hi rad reactor components were placed in a steel tank, about 15' D x 30' L which was welded shut. On the day a ship was to dock to be loaded up with the reactor parts for transport to another site, the ship was delayed 2 hours. Because of permitting and NRC requirements, they had to leave the tank on-site. So, there's been a big steel tank sitting on struts in the middle of a nuclear power plant, filled with old parts, because a boat was late. Every time I walk by that thing I can't help but giggle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A random thought - would the federal government be able to get around the stonewalling from local governments by having the military handle the transportation? I can't imagine that local governments have the power to say "no, you can't send a military convoy through my jurisdiction", regardless of what that convoy happens to be transporting. I'm pretty sure a convincing argument could be made that nuclear waste is a national security issue, too.

Plus so much money goes into the military that they'd have to have the budget for it.

It would simply be tied up in lawsuits forever.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

recycle the spent fuel to reduce it first.

I kept saying this through the whole segment. One of the many things I've learned on a dead gay website.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Solvent posted:

I kept saying this through the whole segment. One of the many things I've learned on a dead gay website.

Isn't it some kind of non-proliferation treaty thing?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

IRQ posted:

Isn't it some kind of non-proliferation treaty thing?

My understanding of it is that we don't really have the infrastructure for Breeder reactors that would be able to do this. And we aren't building it because no one is building more nuclear power, because natural gas extraction is high for the time being and solar / wind / green are dropping in price every year. But I could be way off base there, so grain of salt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Basically, we don't have the infrastructure (yet). It was cheaper and easier to just throw it away, just like glass, plastic, paper...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nuclear power always gets left out when people talk about alternative energy. Radiation spooks people out more than it should. I mean a good example is John Oliver freaking out about that radioactive alligator, it's a real bad thing that the radioactive contaminants are out in the environment and getting caught up in the food chain, but so long as nobody eats the alligator, the alligator's radiation is really only the alligator's problem. It's not going to transmute into godzilla and destroy a major metropolitan area, it's going to die a painful death to radiation sickness.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well, considering how they all freaked out about Jade Helm, I don't think that would've worked too well. Don't mistake all that bluster about supporting the troops as actual deference to the military. There's also a certain stigma to calling in the military for a non-military issue on US soil.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's kind of the age old problem of "if we start doing it now, it will be better in 30 years time than any of the alternatives. But we already have those alternatives now so :shrug:"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, considering how they all freaked out about Jade Helm, I don't think that would've worked too well. Don't mistake all that bluster about supporting the troops as actual deference to the military. There's also a certain stigma to calling in the military for a non-military issue on US soil.

See this is just dumb to me - if you're going to dump SO MUCH into your military, surely you'd want them to be doing as much as possible. Especially since it's not like the only thing they know how to do is blow things up - the army corps of engineers is better suited to solving all sorts of domestic issues than the private sector that routinely gets left to handle them and then totally loving up.

Like I wouldn't want the army coming in and acting as police (although given the state of US policing the army would probably be LESS heavy handed - but that's a whole other topic), but building infrastructure or handling hazardous materials? They're more than equipped to handle it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 22, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nuclear power always gets left out when people talk about alternative energy. Radiation spooks people out more than it should. I mean a good example is John Oliver freaking out about that radioactive alligator, it's a real bad thing that the radioactive contaminants are out in the environment and getting caught up in the food chain, but so long as nobody eats the alligator, the alligator's radiation is really only the alligator's problem. It's not going to transmute into godzilla and destroy a major metropolitan area, it's going to die a painful death to radiation sickness.

It isn't even necessarily a problem for the wildlife. The chernobyl exclusion zone has become a game preserve of sorts by accident. Species are flourishing that were previously in trouble because most humans are scared shitless of going there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SlothfulCobra posted:

Until it dies and the radiation gets into the foodchain of whatever eats its corpse, and so on and so forth.

It's true that people are disproportionately afraid of radiation, but it's also true that even small amounts of certain types of radiation can gently caress everything up if improperly handled. And no one's handling this poo poo right at the moment. We've basically got several massive, rusty barrels hidden around the country in the form of lovely broken down facilities and dump sites and everyone's just standing around going "Well, they haven't leaked the death goo yet. What's a few more decades?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The overwhelming majority of "nuclear waste" is super low level poo poo like the ppe suits people wore in the plant that barely registers. The spent fuel rod and other highly radioactive poo poo that would constitute a disaster are comparatively few in quantity.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I'm surprised he was able to vocalize those words with Trumpski's cock in his mouth simultaneously.

On second thought, never mind, I remembered how tiny Trumpler's cock is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I hate to get in the middle of the circle jerk and I hate Tucker Carlson as much as the next guy but it's pretty obvious he was being sarcastic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

I hate to get in the middle of the circle jerk and I hate Tucker Carlson as much as the next guy but it's pretty obvious he was being sarcastic.

Do you also give kindergarten teachers a pass with the sarcasm in classrooms full of the impressionable, innocent, and trusting?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
... what?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
You must always hate the Other, never compromise

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The train route to Yucca Mountain is literally the one that parallels the Las Vegas Strip. Like if you've ever stayed on the left side of the Strip and gotten the backside view of the freeway instead of the nice view with the fountains and drunks throwing up on the street, you've probably watched the long freight trains go by. It's that railway.

And in the 12 years I've lived here, we've had all sorts of completely irresponsible rail related incident including at least one runaway freighter where a guy had to jump onto it from a moving car and apply the brakes. Like a real runaway train movie, probably one with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Old timers hate the project because the burden was supposed to be shared with a site in rural Texas which was quickly erased in the last hour, leading to the vote being called "the Screw Nevada bill" since we'd be the one sole source for all this waste we didn't create since we don't have any plants. We are, to use Oliver's analogy, the house with a giant toilet and no kitchen. Anyone old and new hates it because our state has only a fledgling industrial economy, we produce jack poo poo except for reasons for people from other states to arrive and dump money into our tax base, and you want to run radioactive waste 1.5 miles away from those reasons.

I realize from having listened to Oliver's comedy enough that he takes the George Carlin view that Vegas is a pimple on America's rear end and a huge pile of nuclear poo poo spilling onto Tropicana would cause nothing of value to be lost. I don't understand why it's so affordable to build a repository meant to last for millennia but not a transportation route that goes through the bumblefuck territory (much of which is owned by the Feds, marked as natural preserves, etc) and that it must go through the heart of a 2,000,000 resident metro.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 23, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Craptacular! posted:

We are, to use Oliver's analogy, the house with a giant toilet and no kitchen. Anyone old and new hates it because our state has only a fledgling industrial economy, we produce jack poo poo except for reasons for people from other states to arrive and dump money into our tax base

So this makes Nevada America's lovely dive motel, in this analogy?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

The train route to Yucca Mountain is literally the one that parallels the Las Vegas Strip. Like if you've ever stayed on the left side of the Strip and gotten the backside view of the freeway instead of the nice view with the fountains and drunks throwing up on the street, you've probably watched the long freight trains go by. It's that railway.

And in the 12 years I've lived here, we've had all sorts of completely irresponsible rail related incident including at least one runaway freighter where a guy had to jump onto it from a moving car and apply the brakes. Like a real runaway train movie, probably one with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Luckily they actually though about this sort of poo poo:

http://i.imgur.com/dHoshAJ.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/V1SmVfF.mp4

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GutBomb posted:

... what?

They're saying that Tucker's audience has the intellectual level of five-year-olds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also the Military also transports litteral tons of high level nuclear waste across the country every year. From shipyards to Idaho (The stuff in Idaho is supposed to eventually go to Yucca mountain)

NIMBYs probably cry about those shipments through their states too but it's more low key and they're not going to stop anyway

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

... what?
Well, if its pretty obvious the teacher was being sarcastic, thatd be cool with you i guess?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

Well, if its pretty obvious the teacher was being sarcastic, thatd be cool with you i guess?

I feel that you're being very insulting to kindergarteners, comparing their intelligence and critical thinking skills to that of the average Fox News viewer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IRQ posted:

I feel that you're being very insulting to kindergarteners, comparing their intelligence and critical thinking skills to that of the average Fox News viewer anchor.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

coyo7e posted:

I was questioning your equivalency between an educator teaching children and a right wing dickhead preaching to the choir.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

I feel that you're being very insulting to kindergarteners, comparing their intelligence and critical thinking skills to that of the average Fox News viewer.
Not really, it's been shown in repeated studies that kids that age exhibit a very tenuous grasp between reality and Imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

M_Gargantua posted:

Also the Military also transports litteral tons of high level nuclear waste across the country every year. From shipyards to Idaho (The stuff in Idaho is supposed to eventually go to Yucca mountain)

NIMBYs probably cry about those shipments through their states too but it's more low key and they're not going to stop anyway

Those cities probably didn't build their economy and freeways that handle hundreds of cars every hour immediately on top of and around that train route.

I suspect it's not going to happen this administration simply because the tracks are within 100 feet of a (real, not licensed) Trump property, but again this "just get over it" attitude is kind of wild when you consider how much engineering the American government is capable of but apparently building a train line is a no-can-do.

• Locked thread