Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I guess they don't think it's a big deal because he "is allowed to keep his scholarship and will receive all other student-athlete support" while not having the huge time commitment of practices. That would be a pretty great way to start college if it didn't mean having your dreams and expectations abruptly crushed.

And :lol:
https://twitter.com/ChronicHoosier/status/898943801217216514

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I would b shocked if Florida won either of those games.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

I would b shocked if Florida won either of those games.

Hell, same.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Ehud posted:

I would b shocked if Florida scores 10 points in either of those games.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

I would b shocked if Florida doesn't have a coaching change after this year.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol what?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
MacElwain's ceiling is lower than that of a guy named Jimbo. Maybe in a great year he sneaks out with an SEC CG win and into some BCS bowl.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLCoolJD posted:

MacElwain's ceiling is lower than that of a guy named Jimbo. Maybe in a great year he sneaks out with an SEC CG win and into some BCS bowl.

I imagine he'll be gone if they don't make the SEC championship game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Randaconda posted:

if we get rid of him for losing the east 1 out of 3 times and right before he brings in a top 3-5 recruiting class then we deserve whatever comes next

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I know I'm late to Stadium Chat. But the Tropicana Dome is definitely the worst sports venue I've ever been in. And I've visited probably over 60 venues.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Jabar Gaffney non-catch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an adult beverage posted:

I know I'm late to Stadium Chat. But the Tropicana Dome is definitely the worst sports venue I've ever been in. And I've visited probably over 60 venues.

Worse than the Oakland stadium?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the thing that needs to be pointed out about Tropicana Field is that it was built in 1990.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

I mean, I'm hard on him bc the offense has continued to be awful but he's done a pretty good job rebuilding the lines and I'm not sure we have any idea what his ceiling is.

Let's not forget that once upon a time Jimbo was shat upon as an OC for underachieving in big games w LSUs talent.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Burns wins are almost all over modern FCS teams and a lot of them were DII back then. He played UT once and Bama twice, all losses. They didn't regularly start scheduling major programs until later in his tenure, at which point they coincidentally were also pretty bad.

Winning percentage of Rutgers coaches between Burns and Schiano:

.446, .447, .200. That's a weird definition of mediocre, my dude.

Schiano got them to a relatively consistent 6-8 wins and Flood coasted on that for a couple years, otherwise they have sucked rear end since they started regularly playing major conference opponents instead of Princeton and Bucknell

Dick Anderson and Doug Graber played legit schedules. If you want to say that's the norm, that's fine. Flood and Shea aren't the norm. You lose your poo poo when anyone implies that the norm for Iowa hoops isn't Tom Davis so stop being a hypocrite.

Randaconda posted:

Enlighten me about Rutgers run of dominance against good teams.

Not what I've said. They've been consistently mediocre. Not consistently bad. The Big Ten is pretty lovely, so they'll soon enough be mediocre again.

Crotch Bat posted:

And one could argue, quite successfully, that those win numbers under Schiano were greatly increased with VT, Miami, and BC no longer in the ACC.

LOL no one misses BC. That's like saying the Big Ten is good because of Michigan, OSU, and I guess Illinois had that Kurt Kittner season so let's count them equally. The "New Big East" was actually pretty good relatively compared to trash conferences like the Big Ten. The real reason Schiano's record wasn't that impressive was due to bad OOC scheduling

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Rutgers would probably have beaten Miami more from 2004-2011 than they would BC. Don't know how you could look at BC during those years and go "what a lovely program glad they're gone".

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I mean, I'm hard on him bc the offense has continued to be awful but he's done a pretty good job rebuilding the lines and I'm not sure we have any idea what his ceiling is.

Let's not forget that once upon a time Jimbo was shat upon as an OC for underachieving in big games w LSUs talent.

I was mostly just trolling Gator fans, because... well, why is water wet? But we all learned Jimbo wasn't the problem at LSU, I think.

Fake edit: All those "TOP TEN COLLEGE RIVALRIES!!!one!" never includes FSU/UF, and that's a fun rivalry. :smith: The Gators also have the Bulldogs, and we have Miami, but we've been each other's most hated rivalries for most people I know since the 90s, at least.

Even if it's divided my family and friends. :ohdear:

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 20, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not what I've said. They've been consistently mediocre. Not consistently bad. The Big Ten is pretty lovely, so they'll soon enough be mediocre again.

The B1G is poo poo and Rutgers is on the bottom of it next to Purdue. The entire reason for your inclusion to the conference was to get BTN a giant TV market and ability for OSU and Penn State to replace cakewalk wins against FCS teams with a cakewalk win against a conference opponent. Rutgers was never going to raise the level of play by anyone's measure.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Get the scientists working on the non-shark titled non-offseason N/V thread. Getting near that time.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Crotch Bat posted:

Rutgers would probably have beaten Miami more from 2004-2011 than they would BC. Don't know how you could look at BC during those years and go "what a lovely program glad they're gone".

To be fair, Rutgers has never beaten Miami ever. I'm sure they would have won against golden though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rutgers have been to less bowls than Tulane. Lol.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Like just for the sake of argument, these are the teams from 2004-2011 (when they chose to leave for the ACC and when Schiano finished at Rutgers).

How does Rutgers not benefit massively from those schools no longer playing them?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

They accomplished nothing in the ACC outside of the Matt Ryan year. The old, 1991-2003 Big East was stronger than the post-2003 ACC. Clearly the loss was VT, you don't have to be modest. If anything the schedule got harder by replacing BC with former C-USA teams. Losing the team that finished 5th in the Big East every single year was not a loss.

DJExile posted:

The B1G is poo poo and Rutgers is on the bottom of it next to Purdue. The entire reason for your inclusion to the conference was to get BTN a giant TV market and ability for OSU and Penn State to replace cakewalk wins against FCS teams with a cakewalk win against a conference opponent. Rutgers was never going to raise the level of play by anyone's measure.

Rutgers has been more successful over recent memory than Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue. The Kyle Flood era is a blip that will soon be forgotten, but the Big Ten will always be trash. In fact, its poor quality is going to precisely why this won't be a long rebuilding job.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Randaconda posted:

You have really bad insights.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

You have really bad insights.

I suck at hot takes. :smithcloud:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Gosh, is this the most people have cared about Rutgers ever?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I had to check your regdate before I responded: no. Not by a long shot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers has been more successful over recent memory than Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue. The Kyle Flood era is a blip that will soon be forgotten, but the Big Ten will always be trash. In fact, its poor quality is going to precisely why this won't be a long rebuilding job.

since 2000 Rutgers has had 100 wins. Fewer than Maryland (109) and Minnesota (105) in the same timeframe, and only 7 more than sad sack Purdue. Congrats on being better than Indiana and Illinois, schools that have almost never cared about football and only showed signs of life when their coaches started abusing their players.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

all-Rush mixtape posted:

E: Beaten. Hard to believe it's been 10 years since some goon stalked a cheerleader

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Name Grover posted:

E: Beaten. Hard to believe it's been 10 years since some goon stalked a cheerleader

Wait, what?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

I haven't heard this one but am not at all surprised

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Nah Ray Rice was a thing

DJExile posted:

since 2000 Rutgers has had 100 wins. Fewer than Maryland (109) and Minnesota (105) in the same timeframe, and only 7 more than sad sack Purdue. Congrats on being better than Indiana and Illinois, schools that have almost never cared about football and only showed signs of life when their coaches started abusing their players.

I'm always amused to point out that Maryland has won a national championship in football

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Here's BTN's president when Rutgers was added

quote:

“This is a great opportunity for the Big Ten to really become the anchor league conference on the East coast,” he said. “When ACC raided Big East a second time, taking Syracuse and Pitt from the old Big East, it really created an opening for us…to become the network fans in the New York metro area gravitate to.”

Adding Rutgers was always 100% about the money. It was never about any potential strengthening of the conference in terms of play.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Ah but you see Minnesota only had to beat Big Ten teams and not the gauntlet of a conference that sent Cincinnati to a BCS game

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kim Jong Il posted:

Illinois and Purdue have been to major bowls in recent memory, unlike Rutgers

Rutgers is in the east which means they will always be behind

OSU
Michigan
PSU
Sparty
Maryland (if Durkin's recruiting pans out)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Dick Anderson and Doug Graber played legit schedules. If you want to say that's the norm, that's fine. Flood and Shea aren't the norm. You lose your poo poo when anyone implies that the norm for Iowa hoops isn't Tom Davis so stop being a hypocrite.

Anderson and Graber both had below .500 records at Rutgers, I can't tell if you're trying to make my argument for me or not. The norm is that they're a below .500 team when the play real teams. Not as bad as Shea but that's still bad.

Pre-Alford (and even Alford was ok overall he was just terrible in conference play) Iowa basketball had, outside of a few bad coaches, generally been pretty good since like the 40s and it's at about that same level now as it was under Davis if you throw out the first couple Davis years where he had Raveling recruits.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 20, 2017

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Illinois and Purdue have been to major bowls in recent memory, unlike Rutgers

Rutgers is in the east which means they will always be behind

OSU
Michigan
PSU
Sparty
Maryland (if Durkin's recruiting pans out)

Rutgers did beat Michigan that one time and it was hilarious.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

It's not that he's doing badly, it's just that I have to compare him to Meyer and Spurrier. I really hope the offense gels this season because I don't know for how long the defense is going to be as good as it's been the past two seasons.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

It's not that he's doing badly, it's just that I have to compare him to Meyer and Spurrier. I really hope the offense gels this season because I don't know for how long the defense is going to be as good as it's been the past two seasons.

Yeah I'm definitely not saying he's as good as either of those guys--but particularly Meyer had an incredible base to work with and win immediately.

Muschamp destroyed any depth Meyer may have accumulated and Mac is really only now recovering from that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently Mark Richt tweeted good luck for the season to UGA, and some Dawg fans have lost their mind because he was apparently the worst coach, pissed in their cheerios, and shot their dog all in the same day. Can't a dude just be nice about a program he clearly cared about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently Mark Richt tweeted good luck for the season to UGA, and some Dawg fans have lost their mind because he was apparently the worst coach, pissed in their cheerios, and shot their dog all in the same day. Can't a dude just be nice about a program he clearly cared about?

Don't worry, UGA isn't the only school with an intolerably reprehensible segment of the fanbase.

• Locked thread