Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HolyKrap posted:

If there is it's news to me. I got a Sound Blaster Audigy in windows 10 running EAX by using Creative Alchemy. Pretty sure that requires a creative soundcard. Depending on what card you get, getting the official drivers working may or may not be a nightmare. I had to use daniel_k's unofficial drivers to not get BSODs

There's the Alchemy software Creative makes for certain motherboard manufacturers and their customers that uses standard on board audio to handle EAX stuff. The catch is its very hard to get a legit license for it without the proper mobos even though it runs on most on board audio fine when those mobo checks are patched out. There were also some older releases that ran on any sound card without patching, but would need patches on modern windows.

It works by running the EAX stuff through OpenAL which should be no issue on any recent onboard audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
ROTT '13 is a bad game not worth any dollars, do not buy it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played ROTT2013 on release and loved it except for the annoyingly hard boss fights.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

There's the Alchemy software Creative makes for certain motherboard manufacturers and their customers that uses standard on board audio to handle EAX stuff. The catch is its very hard to get a legit license for it without the proper mobos even though it runs on most on board audio fine when those mobo checks are patched out. There were also some older releases that ran on any sound card without patching, but would need patches on modern windows.

It works by running the EAX stuff through OpenAL which should be no issue on any recent onboard audio.

Interesting, I wasn't aware certain mobos supported it. I was just going by what cards they listed in their FAQ

I do know you can run EAX in Thief 1, 2 and Unreal through OpenAL without using Alchemy if you install a fan patch. Tafferpatcher for Thief, Oldunreal for Unreal. It sounds pretty great, especially if you set up HRTF with OpenAL Soft

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ETPC posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a sound card so i can use EAX/A3D in old games

Get a Sound Blaster Audigy 128. I still use one (PCI slot) wich works with old rear end DOS games as a SB AWE32 and even SB 16 on their setup. And well, it still sounds better than the one on the motherboard.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I enjoyed ROTT 2013 but can't in good conscience recommend it. It's weird and buggy and has bad bosses. I can't hate it too much because of the fact that the game has a reload button even though reloading guns does absolutely nothing. Then again Dusk does that too so maybe just play Dusk

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This is toeing the line of Early FPS, but there was a mod released recently for Halo 1 on PC that serves as a remake/reworking. It's called SPV3 (Single Player Version 3)

The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UQovgY3Cs

Reddit Page with download links: https://www.reddit.com/r/halospv3/comments/6umz3f/spv31_released_all_new_install_method_11_missions/

I haven't played the original Halo yet, so I was wondering anybody's tried this yet and know if it's worth checking out.

quote:

ROTT 2013

Like everyone else had said, the first episode is pretty good, but everything drops off in quality after that, and the last 2-3 boss fights are frustrating and poorly done. Then again, the same could be said of ROTT '94. One way I've thought of ROTT 2013 is that it's a 'warts and all' remake (I think some review described it like that, which might be what I'm thinking of). It does it's best to translate most everything from the original game, and in turn, it carries over some of it's issues. I'm not trying to defend the issues with the game or say that they were intentional; it's just interesting to look at it as as flawed-yet-creative remake of a flawed-yet-creative game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Get a Sound Blaster Audigy 128. I still use one (PCI slot) wich works with old rear end DOS games as a SB AWE32 and even SB 16 on their setup. And well, it still sounds better than the one on the motherboard.

Is this the Audigy SE or the SB PCI 128? Also would it still be compatible with modern motherboards? I'm not a genius when it comes to system building but this sounds interesting :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Is this the Audigy SE or the SB PCI 128? Also would it still be compatible with modern motherboards? I'm not a genius when it comes to system building but this sounds interesting :)

The SB PCI 128 is a rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI, it doesn't do EAX but it does have SB 16 emulation in software, and sample-based MIDI synth using sf2 soundfonts.. You need at least an SB Live card to get EAX. I remember that at least some models of Live and/or Audigy have issues with putting noise or contention on the PCI bus, which can affect system stability or access speed to other PCI devices.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Sorry, my mistake. I actually have a 128 in a box, the on I'm using since like 2003 or so is an Audigy SE. I just checked it and has all the EAX settings and stuff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Sorry, my mistake. I actually have a 128 in a box, the on I'm using since like 2003 or so is an Audigy SE. I just checked it and has all the EAX settings and stuff.

Thanks! Might look into one for my old XP / DOS machine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG are running a 75%-off sale on Id stuff this week, if you're missing a few things or don't already have them on Steam. Each game includes all the expansions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

This is toeing the line of Early FPS, but there was a mod released recently for Halo 1 on PC that serves as a remake/reworking. It's called SPV3 (Single Player Version 3)

The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UQovgY3Cs

Reddit Page with download links: https://www.reddit.com/r/halospv3/comments/6umz3f/spv31_released_all_new_install_method_11_missions/

I haven't played the original Halo yet, so I was wondering anybody's tried this yet and know if it's worth checking out.

Wow, that's pretty impressive-looking for Halo 1. Wonder how many years they were working on it. Not sure I'm on board with all the added content exactly since one of my favorite things about Halo 1 is that the rushed development basically led there to be no fat, every weapon and vehicle is good for something. I dare say this isn't aiming to provide a normal Halo experience but a super tricked out version for people who have already played the original to death. But regardless I'm going to check this out later today.

e: okay, as of two levels in I would say that you DEFINITELY shouldn't play this if you haven't already played Halo 1, and that if you HAVE played Halo 1 you should probably give this a shot. I'm not saying it is not good, I've had a blast so far, but it's way different than just a touched-up version of the original game. It's more like an ungodly mash-up of practically every game in the series, based more or less on the structure of the first game. Radically new areas within levels, enemies from the later games, weapons from the other games and couple of new ones, Reach styled armor powers, the visor mode from ODST, new characters with voice acting (!), wildlife running around...this was clearly a labor of love but holy poo poo, it is bonkers. I'm enjoying it a lot tbh.

Don't look at the sun though. I think they may have overdone the glare a bit.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 21, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

skasion posted:

Wow, that's pretty impressive-looking for Halo 1. Wonder how many years they were working on it. Not sure I'm on board with all the added content exactly since one of my favorite things about Halo 1 is that the rushed development basically led there to be no fat, every weapon and vehicle is good for something. I dare say this isn't aiming to provide a normal Halo experience but a super tricked out version for people who have already played the original to death. But regardless I'm going to check this out later today.

Is there anywhere to legitimately get the original Halo on PC nowadays?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there anywhere to legitimately get the original Halo on PC nowadays?

Hm, I don't think it's available digitally. Probably have to get a disc from Amazon if you really want to buy it

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So is the general consensus that ROTT 2013 is not a particularly good game, and probably not worth picking up?

It starts off very promising. Lots of jump pads and really fun gibs. Then it gets atrocious. It boils down to terrible, super precise platforming that doesn't feel good and has punishing checkpoints. Bonus levels were pure frustration. It's chock full of secrets yet it doesn't count as you finding them if you go back into levels to do so.The boss fights are a janky joke. For some reason they concentrated on what the game does worst instead of what it does best. Really head scratching decisions. It has more in common with something like Lovely Planet than a fps.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 21, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

e: okay, as of two levels in I would say that you DEFINITELY shouldn't play this if you haven't already played Halo 1, and that if you HAVE played Halo 1 you should probably give this a shot. I'm not saying it is not good, I've had a blast so far, but it's way different than just a touched-up version of the original game. It's more like an ungodly mash-up of practically every game in the series, based more or less on the structure of the first game. Radically new areas within levels, enemies from the later games, weapons from the other games and couple of new ones, Reach styled armor powers, the visor mode from ODST, new characters with voice acting (!), wildlife running around...this was clearly a labor of love but holy poo poo, it is bonkers. I'm enjoying it a lot tbh.

Don't look at the sun though. I think they may have overdone the glare a bit.

Yeah, as someone who spent too many hours playing splitscreen coop in Halo 1, this mod has been a blast to go through. I just wish it wouldn't randomly crash at times. It's awesome to be able to use the battle rifle in Halo 1, even if it does come with a weird delay in between pressing the fire button and having the shots come out.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Re: Sound Card stuff, the newest sound blasters do still have the hardware for EAX5 (and obv all EAX before it) and it can be used through ALchemy. But also, $150.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

What use even is a sound card in a modern computer these days, though? The built-in stuff on motherboards seems adequate enough now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

What use even is a sound card in a modern computer these days, though? The built-in stuff on motherboards seems adequate enough now.

Music production afaik

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've got a cheapo Asus Xonar because my built-in motherboard audio gets a teeny bit of noise from board interference, and also because the minijacks are totally shot from nine years of abuse :xd:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Music production afaik

Yep, everything related to sound can easily be done on CPU now, so hardware accelerated effects are mostly pointless. Audio production also usually has some sort of external audio interface rather than an internal card, both to get better EM shielding, and to get room for lots of large XLR and jack inputs/outputs. They exist as USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, and PCI-e with breakout-boxes.
For gaming, I can think of two reasons to get a sound card (audio interface) today, either because the onboard one has bad electronic noise on the analog outputs, or because you want to hook up prosumer audio gear for streaming/LP production.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I have this SB Audigy that still puts better quality sound than the one in the motherboard. Also Windows 7 and 10 (never used 8 myself) came with official Creative drivers wich never gave me issues with games.

I'm no audiophile and can switch between both sound cards and in lots of FPS games you can notice the difference.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I'm very interested, I liked the first half of Halo but thought it just went to poo poo when the Flood showed up and never actually finished it. But I still have a certain fondness for it (maybe because I still like to imagine it links to Marathon?), so I wouldn't mind giving this a try. Never played any of the sequels so the idea of mashing the entire series up into the first game sounds interesting.

Of course, my computer doesn't have a disc drive, so that'll be interesting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rott2013 is exactly as terrible as rott the original

i really never understood the appeal of that game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

catlord posted:

I'm very interested, I liked the first half of Halo but thought it just went to poo poo when the Flood showed up and never actually finished it. But I still have a certain fondness for it (maybe because I still like to imagine it links to Marathon?), so I wouldn't mind giving this a try. Never played any of the sequels so the idea of mashing the entire series up into the first game sounds interesting.

Of course, my computer doesn't have a disc drive, so that'll be interesting.

You don't need a disc drive for the mod, the download includes Halo Custom Edition. As long as you have a CD key you're all set.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Does SPV have widescreen support? That was the one thing lacking from the Halo PC original.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Does SPV have widescreen support? That was the one thing lacking from the Halo PC original.

I didn't check but patched Custom Edition had widescreen iirc, so I would expect this does too.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I have an SB Audigy for the extra ASIO channel for music production, EAX in older games, and CMSS-3D is sometimes nice.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah it does, even has something to smooth out animations for 60+ FPS

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

juggalo baby coffin posted:

rott2013 is exactly as terrible as rott the original

i really never understood the appeal of that game
I thought that ZDoom mod (Return of the Triad?) was better than ROTT itself. The only issue with it is I don't think enemies could use the jump pads.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skasion posted:

You don't need a disc drive for the mod, the download includes Halo Custom Edition. As long as you have a CD key you're all set.

That's awesome.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

david_a posted:

I thought that ZDoom mod (Return of the Triad?) was better than ROTT itself. The only issue with it is I don't think enemies could use the jump pads.
Personally my issue with that mod was that enemies would shoot and destroy all the collectibles in the level in their attempt to hit you, well before you had any chance of reaching them to grab 'em, preventing you from getting 100% completion (because pickups destroyed by enemies don't count as collected, but aren't subtracted from the max total either).

I mean, I guess that's faithful to the original game, but I swear they were more durable in that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Well a lot of mobos end up with poor routing of the leads, so you get terrible interference, or your audio ports just plain break. Then you need to slap a cheap soundcard in to replace it.

One desktop I had not too long ago, the onboard audio ports had a terrible hum you just couldn't get rid of for instance.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Seven Portals has sapped my will to live once more.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maybe you guys can help me with some mod for doom I guess? I saw some footage on this thread or somewhere else from a mod that looked wolfenstein but in a mission you walked around in a scientist's lab coat and had some kind of detection meter for nazi soldiers. Was it wolfendoom by any chance? It looked fun and I kind of want to play something like wolfenstein but I hated it not having automap and well, its level design never was for me so something more in the line of doom but with nazis will be nice.

I'm again on a doom mod spree after replaying Pirate Doom and High Noon Drifter on Strange Aeons wad. There was a 'Nazis!' mod or something like that but I don't know much about it, like if it's any good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

^ I haven't played WolfenDoom yet, can't confirm if that's the thingy, looks cool though.

Dusk looks like a good time, good to see positive impressions on here. Also enjoy the Duke talk, also cool that Doom Slayer is in Quake Champions (I dig that game, see potential for it). I also enjoy a nice bottle of blue health potion and whatnot. The Doom one, not the Final Fantasy one, that wouldn't be thematically appropriate to this post!

By the way, third person as it may be, if anybody in this thread hasn't played Max Payne, please, for the love of all that is hard boiled, play Max Payne. (requires a couple fixes for Windows 10, a sound patch especially, and should be capped at 60 FPS apparently - I did it with RivaTuner Statistics Server)

Max Payne and Dusk are both games with flushable toilets, which means they're good.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 22, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Guillermus posted:

Maybe you guys can help me with some mod for doom I guess? I saw some footage on this thread or somewhere else from a mod that looked wolfenstein but in a mission you walked around in a scientist's lab coat and had some kind of detection meter for nazi soldiers. Was it wolfendoom by any chance? It looked fun and I kind of want to play something like wolfenstein but I hated it not having automap and well, its level design never was for me so something more in the line of doom but with nazis will be nice.

I'm again on a doom mod spree after replaying Pirate Doom and High Noon Drifter on Strange Aeons wad. There was a 'Nazis!' mod or something like that but I don't know much about it, like if it's any good.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of some "big" mod that was released fairly recently involving Tormentor and some other dudes. It got a lot of flak for running incredibly slowly from what I remember. I'll try to dig up the name.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
WolfenDoom Blade of Agony?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, that's the thing I was thinking of: http://realm667.com/index.php/en/projects-mainmenu-50/34-projects/currently-in-development-projects/1856-blade-of-agony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hank Morgan posted:

Seven Portals has sapped my will to live once more.

Seven Portals is really simple though? You barely need to do any of it to open the big doors.