Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A:"I believe non-white subhumans are trying to replace proper Americans"

B: "Well -- You just don't understand the nuance of my ally's statemenst!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Al! posted:

its so fuckin easy not to be a nazi. its like one of the top 5 easiest things to do

like mitt romney and ted cruz managed to do it. gently caress, they did it better than many democrats.

i feel like i'm not asking much when i say people should rise to the level of ted 'slime man' cruz

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So far today I have spent a full 11 hours not even slightly being a Nazi. Where's my parade?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crane Fist posted:

So far today I have spent a full 11 hours not even slightly being a Nazi. Where's my parade?

Obviously you are a perfidious JEW

And I'm not a Nazi for calling you out. I'm merely Nazi adjacent.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What no I'm a (((regular person))) what are you talking about

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

People who carry water for Nazis, attend their events, speak with them, and signal boost them within the same grifting circuits, deserve to be punched just as much if not more so than capital-N actual factual Nazis. You're just going to have to make peace with the fact that being a shithead is going to have real world consequences, and all of these years of constantly pushing boundaries too see how far you could take free speech absolutism reached its breaking point when some gamer fascist ran over 20 people and killed one of them. Nobody is interested in these semantical games anymore.

It's not a semantic game to expect a coherent definition of "nazi" to materialize in conjunction with the new standard of violence, particularly when "nazi" and all its ugly connotations is still used as a casual insult against political opponents. I don't know why this is controversial.

If you're concerned about semantic games then go ahead and define "nazi" as used in the punchable sense.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
a fun read on the topic

https://www.aclu.org/other/speech-campus

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The elegant solution is to expand the list of people who should be punched to nazis and also this dumbass

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the trump tutelage posted:

It's not a semantic game to expect a coherent definition of "nazi" to materialize in conjunction with the new standard of violence, particularly when "nazi" and all its ugly connotations is still used as a casual insult against political opponents. I don't know why this is controversial.

If you're concerned about semantic games then go ahead and define "nazi" as used in the punchable sense.

a "nazi": anybody who -

1) wants their own ethnostate, typically for "white" people only
2) thinks it's ok to "joke" around about murdering leftists
3) believes that they are being repressed by some massive Jewish conspiracy
4) believes in "white genocide"
5) believes black people are naturally disposed to criminality and should therefore be oppressed
6) displays a paranoiac obsession with the idea of cuckoldry
7) associates with people who unironically believe any or all of the above

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Neonazis are marching and murdering people in America right now and these sniveling little shits are still pretending it's just unwarranted hyperbole

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it is u, u were the nazi all along

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

zen death robot posted:

worried you're gonna get punched are you?

Yes, in the abstract, which is weird because I'm not a nazi, nor do I associate with them or signal boost them.

But then again I've been called a nazi here for being uncomfortable with how casual people are about normalizing political violence. It's unclear.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the elite-sjw turned me into a nazi with the magical power words, "d̴̬̣̖̙̳̠͂̊́̂̾́̓̿̓́̿̅͒̚̕ơ̵̟̳̠͌̃̔n̸̨̧̧̟̭̣͈̠̠̦͈͕̈́̌́̈̂̉̂͂͜͠t̴̨̞͔̯̫̩͇̝͓̼͗͌̔̾͌͋̈͐̆͊̈́̑͂͘ ̴̢̀̏̃͛͊̀͝b̴̛̞̯̖̞̼͙͎̜̥͇̂͊̇è̵̝̟̬̝͂̓̃ ̴̧̲̻͙̗͙͓͎͔̟͍̜̤̽̌̿̀r̷̺̼̫̠̖̖͉͎̥͓̻͒͆͋a̸̢̛͔͉̩͚͔̼̦̼̘̮̳̿͌͊̀̓̀́͘̕ͅͅc̷̢̧̪͖̮͓̭̭̪̈́̀̓̆̆̄̑͛͑͒́̈́̀͠ǐ̵̢̡͔͓̝͉̼͛̑̓͂̌͂̚͝s̸̛̖̦̙̳̦͔̀͗̄͜͜͜ţ̷̨͖̲̥̣̲̖̟͓̭̮̫̲͗̉͌̀"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yes, in the abstract, which is weird because I'm not a nazi, nor do I associate with them or signal boost them.

But then again I've been called a nazi here for being uncomfortable with how casual people are about normalizing political violence. It's unclear.

How many times have you gone marching in a polo shirt & khakis "for the lols"?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Not marching with, marching next to. Adjacent, if you will

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How many times have you gone marching in a polo shirt & khakis "for the lols"?

I mean I've gone to work dressed like that but I wouldn't say the walk from the parking lot to the elevator was a march.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I mean I've gone to work dressed like that but I wouldn't say the walk from the parking lot to the elevator was a march.

Suddenly the blanks are filling in :thunk:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

zen death robot posted:

those white polos look crappy

yea they do

get a collared shirt, and a jacket ffs

then join the right to make some gotdamn money!

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

yea they do

get a collared shirt, and a jacket ffs

then join the right to make some gotdamn money!

problem: everyone in the world keeps the thermostat set like 10 degrees too hot for jackets

is this done so that you have to suffer to make money, or is it because they are all lizard people?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Irony.or.Death posted:

problem: everyone in the world keeps the thermostat set like 10 degrees too hot for jackets

is this done so that you have to suffer to make money, or is it because they are all lizard people?

both
:wink:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

Fascism may kill millions but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time so its impossible to tell if it's good or bad

v. good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

i don't know many young liberals who defend trump as often as he does

Yeah, that's what I was trying to communicate with the "left-liberal" thing, though I don't think that's the right descriptor. There's a certain faction of liberals who are also very angry with the Democratic establishment/centrism but aren't actually leftists. It can be difficult to distinguish the two when you have two groups of people who are both raging at the Democrats from the left, but their end goals are significantly different. This whole free speech thing is a good example; many liberals hold that stuff sacrosanct* regardless of the circumstances, so you can end up with a conflict in a situation like this.

*As I mentioned in my other post, I'm not necessarily saying they're wrong, but a lot of liberals just unthinkingly take it as a given that free expression is fundamentally more worthwhile than the harm it might cause. Their argument starts and ends at "we should allow free speech/expression because it's the right thing to do/the first amendment exists." I think that things aren't nearly that black/white and even the current status quo makes it clear that we already draw lines regarding speech; the only question is where they should be drawn. Not to mention the fact that there's a difference between vigilante physical censure and actually having laws against certain speech. Heck, one could even hold the position that vigilante antifa activity should remain illegal while also supporting such activity; that isn't necessarily a contradictory viewpoint to have.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Aug 22, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

People who carry water for Nazis, attend their events, speak with them, and signal boost them within the same grifting circuits, deserve to be punched just as much if not more so than capital-N actual factual Nazis. You're just going to have to make peace with the fact that being a shithead is going to have real world consequences, and all of these years of constantly pushing boundaries too see how far you could take free speech absolutism reached its breaking point when some gamer fascist ran over 20 people and killed one of them. Nobody is interested in these semantical games anymore.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zen death robot posted:

trump tutelage is still a bit dazed from the tiki torch fumes

citronella OD will replace heroin for midwest deaths if trump is reelected

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

it blows me away how freaked out people are about antifa when they're not even that well organized or armed compared to a deadly and entrenched opposition.

Hodgepodge posted:

like mitt romney and ted cruz managed to do it. gently caress, they did it better than many democrats.

i feel like i'm not asking much when i say people should rise to the level of ted 'slime man' cruz
the most dangerous fascists aren't at these rallies but in congress, decrying political violence that they own 1000% of

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

papa_november posted:

it blows me away how freaked out people are about antifa when they're not even that well organized or armed compared to a deadly and entrenched opposition.

The idea that they might be pepper sprayed or punched is the most terrifying thought to soft middle class white guys, whose greatest hardship in life was trying to decide what they wanted from the Dollar Menu before saying gently caress it and buying one of everything.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The idea that they might be pepper sprayed or punched is the most terrifying thought to soft middle class white guys, whose greatest hardship in life was trying to decide what they wanted from the Dollar Menu before saying gently caress it and buying one of everything.

Or stabbed with a broken bottle or given a skull fracture with a bike lock

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Byolante posted:

collateral damage

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Byolante posted:

Maybe don't go to rallies organised by the alt-right/lite and you won't have to worry about getting hit with a bike lock.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:yeah:

TTT, I actually get what you're saying, there were a lot of "Nazi" accusations thrown around early and often toward the Trump campaign and some of its supporters, even ones who would go on to NOT actually march next to Swastikas.

But on the other hand, we were right and he actually has encouraged the Nazis to become bold enough to march openly in a violent manner. So just accept that when people say "Punch Nazis" now, that the definition has changed and doesn't include your dumb MAGA-cap wearing rear end, unless you want to march next to actual, factual Nazis.

You're stuck in the old paradigm and haven't put two and two together that poo poo has changed. That, or (more likely) you're being willfully dense so as to have a persecution complex. :jerkbag:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also, violent counter-protesting has caused the Actual Nazis to cancel a bunch of planned rallies, because right wing authoritarianism relies on projecting a united front of strength against the "other", something that's difficult if you are physically humiliated in public

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeCrotch posted:

Also, violent counter-protesting has caused the Actual Nazis to cancel a bunch of planned rallies, because right wing authoritarianism relies on projecting a united front of strength against the "other", something that's difficult if you are physically humiliated in public

ANTIFA: It Just Works

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byolante posted:

Why do you love bike locks so much

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

It's the one most recent example of "antifa" (aka one person) hitting an innocent person and not an actual Nazi.

aka :rolleyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

bike lock on a chain is the proletariat's meteor hammer

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Venom Snake posted:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/26/professor-suspected-in-berkeley-bike-lock-attack-arraigned-in-oakland-court/

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

WampaLord posted:

:yeah:

TTT, I actually get what you're saying, there were a lot of "Nazi" accusations thrown around early and often toward the Trump campaign and some of its supporters, even ones who would go on to NOT actually march next to Swastikas.

But on the other hand, we were right and he actually has encouraged the Nazis to become bold enough to march openly in a violent manner. So just accept that when people say "Punch Nazis" now, that the definition has changed and doesn't include your dumb MAGA-cap wearing rear end, unless you want to march next to actual, factual Nazis.

You're stuck in the old paradigm and haven't put two and two together that poo poo has changed. That, or (more likely) you're being willfully dense so as to have a persecution complex. :jerkbag:

I'm not and have never been a Trump supporter so let's dispense with that bullshit.

Any honest assessment of the protests that occurred prior to Charlottesville would conclude that, absent literal Nazis, colloquial "nazis" were good enough. We saw this at the Berkeley protest in February, for example, or the Charles Murray protest in March. Maybe we're in some new paradigm now, but you're using Charlottesville as a post hoc justification for the normalization of violence. It would be just as accurate to say that you helped escalate the situation to where it is today, as it would be to say you were right all along.

That aside, your argument amounts to claiming that only criminals need fear the police. The reason to be suspicious of the people who march under the ANTIFA banner (and the anti-Trump Leftist protesters generally) is precisely because of their tactics; because they reserve the right to to deplatform, employ violence, and escalate, whether or not the people they're protesting are """nazis""" or Nazis.

And all that is moot because I'm not even really reacting to ANTIFA as such -- I'm not shedding any tears over a neonazi getting punched -- but to the completely blasé attitude people have about the normalization of unprincipled (or at least vaguely principled) political violence, like it's the most unremarkable thing in the loving world; like we're not in fact playing an extremely dangerous game. We have at least three years of Trump left, or we're otherwise running a very high risk of him becoming an alt-right martyr, and it's not clear at all that the victory conditions can include a return to normalcy given the fabric of late stage capitalist society. You'll have to forgive me for not jacking it to the metanarrative.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It wasn't Antifa or anybody else on the left that normalized political violence, lmao.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm jacking it to the metanarrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I'm jacking it to the metanarrative

:same:

:fap: