Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
I don't see what's so hard about this: if you did something Really Bad™ then it becomes okay to fabricate evidence for the sentencing hearing to make sure you get the maximum penalty.

How do we know if what you did is Really Bad™ and it's time to sentence you with fake evidence? Easy that's up to the DA to decide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Duckbag posted:

Come on guys let's not make this bigger than it is. All Dead Reckoning is saying is what if the Bill of Rights... is wrong?

I'm just baffled by this. How did the founding fathers know that California would enter the union, much less that it would one day employ an attorney they wanted to punish?? :tinfoil:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see what's so hard about this: if you did something Really Bad™ then it becomes okay to fabricate evidence for the sentencing hearing to make sure you get the maximum penalty.

How do we know if what you did is Really Bad™ and it's time to sentence you with fake evidence? Easy that's up to the DA to decide!

*This is what Americans actually believe

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

You realize that the entire conversation was about evidence which was not disputed to be true, merely improperly collected, yes? You can't alter the terms under discussion and assume that people hold the same arguments and positions.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

You realize that the entire conversation was about evidence which was not disputed to be true, merely improperly collected, yes? You can't alter the terms under discussion and assume that people hold the same arguments and positions.

antonin "dead reckoning" scalia

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why does the right to counsel exist, Dead Reckoning?

Why do we need it, if we consider information obtained by interrogation without the benefit of counsel to be equally true and reliable as information obtained from the defendant with counsel?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 22, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Why does the right to counsel exist, Dead Reckoning?

Why do we need it, if we consider information obtained by interrogation without the benefit of counsel to be equally true and reliable as information obtained from the defendant with counsel?
Information obtained from a suspect who waives or never invokes his right to counsel is admissible though. The right to counsel has nothing to do with the factual accuracy of evidence.

You're throwing up smoke. I've been reasonable about not answering your question with a question in turn. Now answer mine: How does suppressing true evidence serve the interests of justice?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't even know what you think is "justice."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Information obtained from a suspect who waives or never invokes his right to counsel is admissible though. The right to counsel has nothing to do with the factual accuracy of evidence.

You're throwing up smoke. I've been reasonable about not answering your question with a question in turn. Now answer mine: How does suppressing true evidence serve the interests of justice?

Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States posted:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but I don't need to be to read plain English. He can't be "held to answer" without "due process of law." Due process was violated and the double jeopardy clause prevents them from going back and "finding" more evidence after the fact. Since the evidence that would have allowed them to pursue a death sentence is illegal to even take into consideration and the period to submit new evidence had passed, this was the only possible outcome allowable by law.

If you're wondering how due process was violated, please consider that scheming to have him "confess" to a prison snitch appears to be a violation of the self incrimination clause and also raises a whole other slew of issues related to the Fourth Amendment privacy rights and Sixth Amendment rights to have an unbiased trial and be confronted by the witnesses against him.

Either those rules exist for a reason and flagrantly ignoring them would undermine our whole legal system or Madison and co. just didn't care about justice. Which is it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Information obtained from a suspect who waives or never invokes his right to counsel is admissible though.
That's not what happened here. There's a difference between the accused volunteering information of his own free will versus one who exercised that right but was denied counsel or tricked by an interrogator.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The right to counsel has nothing to do with the factual accuracy of evidence.

Is it true evidence? Are statements made under interrogation while the accused is deprived of counsel and therefore of impartial observers to guard against intimidation or trickery necessarily true statements? How do we know that?

Miranda v Arizone posted:

From these representative samples of interrogation techniques, the setting prescribed by the manuals and observed in practice becomes clear. In essence, it is this: to be alone with the subject is essential to prevent distraction and to deprive him of any outside support. The aura of confidence in his guilt undermines his will to resist. He merely confirms the preconceived story the police seek to have him describe. Patience and persistence, at times relentless questioning, are employed. To obtain a confession, the interrogator must "patiently maneuver himself or his quarry into a position from which the desired objective may be attained." When normal procedures fail to produce the needed result, the police may resort to deceptive stratagems such as giving false legal advice. It is important to keep the subject off balance, for example, by trading on his insecurity about himself or his surroundings. The police then persuade, trick, or cajole him out of exercising his constitutional rights.

Even without employing brutality, the "third degree" or the specific stratagems described above, the very fact of custodial interrogation exacts a heavy toll on individual liberty, and trades on the weakness of individuals.
This fact may be illustrated simply by referring to three confession cases decided by this Court in the Term immediately preceding our Escobedo decision. In Townsend v. Sain, 372 U. S. 293 (1963), the defendant was a 19-year-old heroin addict, described as a "near mental defective," id. at 307-310. The defendant in Lynumn v. Illinois, 372 U. S. 528 (1963), was a woman who confessed to the arresting officer after being importuned to "cooperate" in order to prevent her children from being taken by relief authorities. This Court, as in those cases, reversed the conviction of a defendant in Haynes v. Washington, 373 U. S. 503 (1963), whose persistent request during his interrogation was to phone his wife or attorney. [Footnote 25] In other settings, these individuals might have exercised their constitutional rights. In the incommunicado police-dominated atmosphere, they succumbed.

In the cases before us today, given this background, we concern ourselves primarily with this interrogation atmosphere and the evils it can bring. In No. 759, Miranda v. Arizona, the police arrested the defendant and took him to a special interrogation room, where they secured a confession. In No. 760, Vignera v. New York, the defendant made oral admissions to the police after interrogation in the afternoon, and then signed an inculpatory statement upon being questioned by an assistant district attorney later the same evening. In No. 761, Westover v. United States, the defendant was handed over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by local authorities after they had detained and interrogated him for a lengthy period, both at night and the following morning. After some two hours of questioning, the federal officers had obtained signed statements from the defendant. Lastly, in No. 584, California v. Stewart, the local police held the defendant five days in the station and interrogated him on nine separate occasions before they secured his inculpatory statement.

In these cases, we might not find the defendants' statements to have been involuntary in traditional terms. Our concern for adequate safeguards to protect precious Fifth Amendment rights is, of course, not lessened in the slightest. In each of the cases, the defendant was thrust into an unfamiliar atmosphere and run through menacing police interrogation procedures. The potentiality for compulsion is forcefully apparent, for example, in Miranda, where the indigent Mexican defendant was a seriously disturbed individual with pronounced sexual fantasies, and in Stewart, in which the defendant was an indigent Los Angeles Negro who had dropped out of school in the sixth grade. To be sure, the records do not evince overt physical coercion or patent psychological ploys. The fact remains that in none of these cases did the officers undertake to afford appropriate safeguards at the outset of the interrogation to insure that the statements were truly the product of free choice.

The answer is: we don't. We don't know if the statements are actually true, because the police have developed plenty of psychological (or hell straight-up physical) techniques to elicit false statements out of suspects. Without an observer present we have no way of knowing whether the police did any of that, I guess we can just trust the cops when they say the interrogation was totally above board, they just didn't want a lawyer present to confirm that for ehhhhh reasons?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Black people getting killed by the state, police or otherwise

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Have you ever seen that episode of Star Trek where Chief O'Brien is dragged before that alien court?

First the execution is scheduled for the immediate aftermath of the trial, then the trial is a public show where the prosecutor reveals how the defendant was discovered to be guilty and the defense counsel's role is to advise the defendant how to put on the best performance and to draw the prosecutor to better explain the weaker points of the case so the State's verdict can have no doubt.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

It's fitting, because it's like most people I know against the death penalty.

"I don't support the death penalty but in this case I do because it was Real Bad"

Then you don't oppose the death penalty, dipshit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckbag posted:

:words:

Either those rules exist for a reason and flagrantly ignoring them would undermine our whole legal system or Madison and co. just didn't care about justice. Which is it?
Again, I am not asking about the specifics of any particular case. I am asking about the abstract principle. How does excluding evidence which is true, and the truth of which is not in dispute, serve the interests of justice?

I am aware that the exclusionary rule is grounded on the 4th Amendment, but the 4th does not specify any particular remedy for unlawful searches, so your appeal to the authority of the Founders is rather weak. The current strong interpretation of the exclusionary rule wasn't formulated at the federal level until ~1914-1920.

None of this is relevant to the question I asked. I am not asking about the specific circumstances of any particular case.

You have an unfortunate habit of answering the question you wish had been asked, rather than what was actually asked. So far, you have gone off on a tangent about the right to counsel, and now are somehow trying to tie it into the veracity of evidence and coerced confessions. Neither of these are relevant to the question I asked, where I was very careful to make clear I was only addressing the case of evidence whose truth is not disputed. So:

How, in principle, does excluding evidence which is true, and the truth of which is not in dispute, serve the interests of justice?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, I am not asking about the specifics of any particular case. I am asking about the abstract principle. How does excluding evidence which is true, and the truth of which is not in dispute, serve the interests of justice?

Your idea of instead punishing the individual cops responsible for illegal searches and seizures would amount to suspension with pay and a handshake from the DA because "tough on crime"

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dead Reckoning posted:

How, in principle, does excluding evidence which is true, and the truth of which is not in dispute, serve the interests of justice?

Other way around. Exhibits and testimony generally have to justify their inclusion into evidence. Not only that it hasn't been tampered, manufactured, or left somewhere it can be tampered with, but that it's actually relevant to an element of one of the charges. If an exhibit or testimony gets excluded it's nothing personal, unless the officer or prosecutor wants to make it personal (but with quotas and conviction rates and professional pride being what they are, welp;).

In this case (gently caress your moving goalposts), the validity of the testimony IS in dispute, because it's hearsay. PRISON hearsay. Delivered by victims of unimaginable push-pull leverage in warehouses designed to turn people into an even more permanent underclass than us idiots. I'm absolutely sure there's nothing that's convincing jailhouse informants to deliver whatever information the prosecution wants to hear. Pinky swear.

It's a grave miscarriage of justice that it's admissible at all, but as long as juries decide that the state of mind of anyone giving testimony is whatever transfers the most power from the witness to the prosecution, that poo poo isn't going to change. And it's Orange County, so grab a Snickers.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dead Reckoning posted:

None of this is relevant to the question I asked. I am not asking about the specific circumstances of any particular case.
Whoa, don't get the California Politics Thread confused with actual California legal cases that affect our politics! Way better to talk jurisprudence in the abstract.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

In this case (gently caress your moving goalposts), the validity of the testimony IS in dispute, because it's hearsay. PRISON hearsay. Delivered by victims of unimaginable push-pull leverage in warehouses designed to turn people into an even more permanent underclass than us idiots. I'm absolutely sure there's nothing that's convincing jailhouse informants to deliver whatever information the prosecution wants to hear. Pinky swear.

Weird, that's exactly the "evidence" use to convict that proven-innocent guy Missouri is executing today.

Woah, wait, we're getting reports that this is a systemic problem across the country as police and prosecutors do their part to enforce and perpetuate our racialized caste system?! I keep hearing about these stories, is there anyone we can punish to make that stop?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doc Hawkins posted:

Weird, that's exactly the "evidence" use to convict that proven-innocent guy Missouri is executing today.

Woah, wait, we're getting reports that this is a systemic problem across the country as police and prosecutors do their part to enforce and perpetuate our racialized caste system?! I keep hearing about these stories, is there anyone we can punish to make that stop?

Your gang tag says you're closer to a solution for arbitrary nominally-legalized statemurder than I am.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the phrase true evidence is really hilarious

also dr, housing scalia's accidental horcrux is gonna contaminate your metaphysical goo

namaste

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Your idea of instead punishing the individual cops responsible for illegal searches and seizures would amount to suspension with pay and a handshake from the DA because "tough on crime"
So your big takeaway is that, since we/our government is apparently incapable of disciplining its police forces according to uniform standards, the best solution is to make it harder to convict criminals? Does that not strike you as a strange conclusion? Doesn't it say really lovely things about us as people and this whole representative government experiment we have going on?

Other way around. Exhibits and testimony generally have to justify their inclusion into evidence. Not only that it hasn't been tampered, manufactured, or left somewhere it can be tampered with, but that it's actually relevant to an element of one of the charges. If an exhibit or testimony gets excluded it's nothing personal, unless the officer or prosecutor wants to make it personal (but with quotas and conviction rates and professional pride being what they are, welp;)
Again, you're focusing on whether or not the evidence is true or how its validity can be assured. That is not the purpose of the exclusionary rule.

If you really can't think about this question without a concrete example, consider Herring v. United States (2009) and Utah v. Strife (2016). Both cases were variations on the theme of, "the police searched my car and found contraband." In both cases, the defendant never disputed that they had drugs in their vehicle, their only defense was that the police should not have been allowed to conduct the search in the first place. In both cases, the Supreme Court allowed the evidence in under the good faith exemption. Do you think those cases were wrongly decided?

stone cold posted:

the phrase true evidence is really hilarious
I've posted here long enough to know that, if I don't include that caveat every single time, some wag will chime in with, "well what about falsified evidence and coerced confessions? :smug:" Hell, VitalSigns still tried to drag that irrelevancy into the discussion despite the fact that my question was explicitly structured to exclude those situations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So your big takeaway is that, since we/our government is apparently incapable of disciplining its police forces according to uniform standards, the best solution is to make it harder to convict criminals? Does that not strike you as a strange conclusion? Doesn't it say really lovely things about us as people and this whole representative government experiment we have going on?
It says really lovely things about us that we don't hold our law enforcement accountable and have a ridiculously high incarceration rate. So it doesn't seem to be that big of a burden on getting convictions.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

The discussion is about a specific case. In fact you were bringing up the specific circumstances of the case to support your position with an emotional argument: this guy is Really Bad, why does he need a fair sentencing hearing. Remember?

Dead Reckoning posted:

This isn't some game where both sides have equal standing and a legitimate interest in a favorable outcome for them. On one side, you have the people of the State, and on the other, a guy who more or less indisputably killed eight people in cold blood over a child custody dispute. The fact that some of the evidence against him was obtained in an improper manner doesn't really change the fact that he loving did it.
Here's the thing though: in the specific case we're talking about, the truth of the evidence is in question because statements obtained from a suspect during an illegal interrogation are not reliable. That's why they are excluded, that's why we got the Miranda opinion in the first place.

But since that's inconvenient for your argument, you want to move the goalposts and bring up hypothetical evidence that was only obtained improperly (say by an illegal search). Well, I actually don't disagree with that in the abstract, there are alternate methods of securing our rights that theoretically could work just as well. Although again, doesn't apply to the Dekraai sentencing because we can't assume the truth of statements obtained from an illegal interrogation.

But practically speaking securing our rights against illegal searches without excluding evidence would require holding police accountable for breaking the law and lol. Prosecutors already get up and play defense attorney for the grand jury when cops murder people, there's no way cops will be reliably prosecuted for illegal searches, they know they can count on people like you to go "This guy was Really Bad! That policeman who broke into his house without a warrant is a hero, he shouldn't serve a day in jail" and any DA who prosecutes will go down in flames in the next election.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Your gang tag says you're closer to a solution for arbitrary nominally-legalized statemurder than I am.

Well, sure, if we're serious-posting, the bizarre rate and persistence of state executions in the US is clearly due to the role they play in perpetuating our racialized caste system, as part of the wider program of mass criminalization and incarceration, the abolishment of which is now part of the DSA's platform.

In summary, if elected DA, I will see to it that "Batman" is finally exposed as a convenient hoax used by my predecessor and certain elements within our police forces to boost conviction rates with illegally obtained evidence.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

No it doesn't. Popularly elected officials are notoriously bad at respecting the rights of very unpopular people like suspected criminals. The Constitution even recognizes this with its ban on bills of attainder: barring the representative part of the government from making judgments in criminal cases. And it's also why elected judges are such a shitshow. Maybe that says bad things about human rationality in general, but just because we don't put criminal guilt up to a popular vote that doesn't mean democracy is worthless, it just means democracy needs safeguards in order to protect our human rights.

Because the popular will to hold police accountable for breaking the law doesn't exist, I'm not sure there's any practical way to ensure the rights of the accused are protected in our system other than by an independent judiciary with the power to exclude illegally obtained evidence. Judges can't force the DA to bring a case against the cops, they can't force the police department to administratively discipline anyone, etc. So if judges aren't allowed to protect the rights of the accused, and the voters don't want to, then what good is the Bill of Rights as a check against mob justice?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 23, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'd only like to note that democracy is more than just voting/elections, and it does play a central role in our criminal justice system in the form of a jury of randomly-selected citizens.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Yeah that's true, but we also build in safeguards there. Juries aren't supposed to be a representative sample of the voting public: they're screened for biases and prior knowledge about the case so there's at least an attempt to ensure they're impartial finders of facts based on evidence at trial and not a reflection of public opinion regarding the case. They aren't publicly elected representatives who are held accountable to the voters for their decisions. They also aren't allowed to decide what evidence gets admitted, the judge does that, etc.

Juries are also one of the big reasons it's so difficult to hold cops accountable for crimes so they're not exactly an argument that even more democracy in the courtroom would lead to more just outcomes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think I should resolve to hold my (Republican) Assemblyperson's feet to the fire at every opportunity until I can vote against him. He recently posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/AsmCunningham/photos/a.446785175709388.1073741829.442329722821600/618701895184381/?type=3&theater

I checked on the bill, which is here:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB866

It passed the Assembly unanimously, because who would vote against it? So, neat, a cupcake bill passed. Way to pat yourself on the back, Mr. Cunningham! Then I happened to check out the bill analysis:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB866

It's got this great bit:

quote:

The Judiciary Committee has been unable to confirm the author's claim that the Ninth Circuit ruling caused the Department of Transportation to prohibit any flags on any state right-of-way.

So it was a cupcake bill that "fixed" a problem that may not have existed. Whee! I need to keep close track of when Cunningham actually does anything meaningful, so I'm ready to go, "Actually..." when his campaign flyers start showing up in my mailbox.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

CPColin posted:

I think I should resolve to hold my (Republican) Assemblyperson's feet to the fire at every opportunity until I can vote against him. He recently posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/AsmCunningham/photos/a.446785175709388.1073741829.442329722821600/618701895184381/?type=3&theater

I checked on the bill, which is here:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB866

It passed the Assembly unanimously, because who would vote against it? So, neat, a cupcake bill passed. Way to pat yourself on the back, Mr. Cunningham! Then I happened to check out the bill analysis:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB866

It's got this great bit:

So it was a cupcake bill that "fixed" a problem that may not have existed. Whee! I need to keep close track of when Cunningham actually does anything meaningful, so I'm ready to go, "Actually..." when his campaign flyers start showing up in my mailbox.

I remember those Cunningham flyers that just said something to the effect "fix education" and nothing else. No urls or quote from him. Term limits, the worst. They all toe the Republican state party line and wait for their turn to rise up to state senators. Try to run for US Senate or Governor, lose and end up working in lobbying in Sacramento. It's like fourth rate lawyer welfare. My crazy "Trump is King" cousin is going to run for Cunningham's district when he vacates it. Gonna be glorious.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CA DOT says:

quote:

Proposed Gateway Monuments shall not... Contain any displays of any sort, advertising, decorative banners, flags, or flag poles.

... but the law says:

quote:

The Flag of the United States of America and the Flag of the State of California may be displayed on a sidewalk located in or abutting on a state highway situated within a city, if the type of flagholder and the method of its installation and maintenance are not in violation of the department’s rules.

Yay! A law that says you can have a flag if the people telling you you can't have a flag say you can have a flag.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sounds like there's been some good housing news: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/14/california-affordable-housing-bills-are-finally-getting-a-vote/

In particular from everyone's favorite freshman senator:

quote:

Senate Bill 35, by Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, would try to tackle the state’s housing-supply shortage. Currently, cities are told every eight years how many units they need to build to meet their share of regional demand — but they are not required to build them. This bill would make it harder to ignore those goals. It targets cities that fall short, requiring them to approve more housing developments that fit the bill’s criteria until they are back on track.
Thank god.

This one also sounds good:

quote:

Senate Bill 167, also by Skinner, would strengthen the state’s 35-year-old Housing Accountability Act, known colloquially as the “anti-NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) Act.” Cities that don’t comply with a court order to allow development would be hit with automatic fines of $10,000 per housing unit.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 17, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

This sounds good, but I wonder how the environmental groups will react. A lot of California politicians are beholden to developers and I could see them saying this new law "forces" them to pave over those wetlands.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean maybe but in practice Californians and their city councils/mayors are pretty pro-environment and so to the extent that development is required to happen it'll probably be infill.

Perhaps this is less the case in inland areas but those areas have fewer problems with housing supply.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I see so much potential for mixed use development in the San Jose burbs but they keep putting up single story tan stucco big box monstrosities.

Pressure to develop leads to some idiotic planning decisions such as building on the floodplain of Coyote Creek. Do those bills do anything to encourage building up instead of out?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I see so much potential for mixed use development in the San Jose burbs but they keep putting up single story tan stucco big box monstrosities.

Pressure to develop leads to some idiotic planning decisions such as building on the floodplain of Coyote Creek. Do those bills do anything to encourage building up instead of out?

An urban growth boundary would help with this but I don't think it's in there. It always surprised me that California doesn't have urban growth boundaries like Oregon or Washington (or Tennessee, weirdly). With all the extremely stringent environmental laws y'all have it seems like that would be another one to put on the pile but it never happened for some reason.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Badger of Basra posted:

An urban growth boundary would help with this but I don't think it's in there. It always surprised me that California doesn't have urban growth boundaries like Oregon or Washington (or Tennessee, weirdly). With all the extremely stringent environmental laws y'all have it seems like that would be another one to put on the pile but it never happened for some reason.

How would anyone NIMBY with growth boundaries?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There's some fun NIMBY going on in Gilroy. There's currently a 4 or 5 story apartment complex going in on the site of the old Indian motorcycle factory. The apartments are going to be low income and the rumors are rampant about how "those people" are coming, literally that they're going to bus people in from Oakland. Going onto nextdoor or the local facebook comments is a dive as dark as the freep threads. Another proposal is to build a Great Wolf lodge near the current site of Gilroy Gardens and folks are up in arms about traffic impact and such.

I mostly like the direction Morgan Hill has taken in building dense-ish construction next to the Caltrain station. I don't know how usable Caltrain is with only three trains a day, but it's a move in the right direction.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ah yes, the town that always smells like garlic definitely has to worry about those people lowering it's probably values.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Duckbox posted:

Ah yes, the town that always smells like garlic definitely has to worry about those people lowering it's probably values.

Better than living in Morgan Hill, the town that smells like poo poo every evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Better than living in Morgan Hill, the town that smells like poo poo every evening.

Nobody out stinks Milpitas though.