Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maskenfreiheit posted:

frankly i think a large source of ennui among redditors is having higher standards for their partner than themselves. every relationship will have issues. the inability to go "well, he forgot my birthday but he has a great job, genuinely loves me, is supportive of my career, and eats rear end... but after harping at him for four hours about forgetting a date, he raised his voice. very abusive. SEVERED!"

Obviously didn't eat enough rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Outrail posted:

Obviously didn't eat enough rear end.

loving prudes

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
maybe he just is a ugly crier and is aware

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Anyway I think it's messed up he thinks tearing up at the birth of his child is shameful but also I think he kinda gets to decide if the photo gets displayed, as the subject of the photo. People can dislike a photo of themselves for all sorts of dumb reasons.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
He should at least let her put it in their photo album, I mean come on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You earn double bonus man miles if you cry at your dogs death but held it together for your parents/spouse/children/other immediate family members funeral.

Modus Pwnens posted:

...nah?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Modus Pwnens posted:

He needs to get over this hang up but she needs to not put the photo in the album until he does.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As a man you're upposed to crack open a bullet and cauterize your tear ducts with the gun powder it if you feel a cry coming on.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

cumshitter posted:

As a man you're upposed to crack open a bullet and cauterize your tear ducts with the gun powder it if you feel a cry coming on.

Just lol if you didn't do this in the 5th grade

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guess you can also cry if you're a barbarian king and you realize that all have been subjugated before you and there are no lands or peoples left to conquer. I'd still call you a pussy, but some guys are cool with it.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

its nice to hear about your dad tearing up as he held you as a baby, its not nice to be shown a picture of uggo dad shriveling up in a wet death-face

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

cumshitter posted:

I guess you can also cry if you're a barbarian king and you realize that all have been subjugated before you and there are no lands or peoples left to conquer. I'd still call you a pussy, but some guys are cool with it.

I think it's ok to weep for your father, cut down in his prime, stabbed in the back by your treasonous uncle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Boy the mental leap of logic to put the blame on the wife here is something else.

It HAS to be the women's fault when she has FEELINGS about something I don't care about!!!!!!!

*perennially single????*

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Look, I know I'm a little late, but cucked by ants made me laugh really unreasonably hard. If I can't have that as a username, I'm at least reserving it for the title of an EP by my completely imaginary band, The Cotton Casualties.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
poor freckles, learned his wife had an affair with ants and died

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

It HAS to be the women's fault when she has FEELINGS about something I don't care about!!!!!!!

*perennially single????*

Healthily expressed feelings don't fend off sabretooth tigers. But unpredictable aggression and violence borne of unhealthy repression? You bet your prehistoric rear end.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pick posted:

poor freckles, learned his wife had an affair with ants and died

Aaaand now we have some lyrics started. Actually maybe just somebody should be saying it and laughing before the track really starts. My fake band is serious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

Healthily expressed feelings don't fend off sabretooth tigers. But unpredictable aggression and violence borne of unhealthy repression? You bet your prehistoric rear end.

Geez except not really because we're just apes with no claws, we gotta be friends to get poo poo done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i hate grimdark poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Geez except not really because we're just apes with no claws, we gotta be friends to get poo poo done.

Are there apes that are basically goons and fail to form attachments with their pack like normal, or is that an entirely man made problem?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Are there apes that are basically goons and fail to form attachments with their pack like normal, or is that an entirely man made problem?

Actually yes, and the oft-mentioned Harry Harlowe investigated this in the lab; similar situations were observed by Goodall and her proteges in Gombe.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I never accepted the retcon of Dinosaurs as canon.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fred and Wilma didn't even sleep in the same bed so let's not go looking at them for relationship advice.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
drat....

My [27M] "wife" [28F] cheated on me on our wedding day with one of her bridesmaids [27F]

quote:

u/[deleted]
Over a month ago, my "wife" and I got married, we have known each other since I was 18 and she was 19. We met at university and we've been the best of friends until this very day! it was a small ceremony with all of our family and friends. During the latter part of the day where we were all gathered at a small hall near the house my "wife" and I rented for the weekend, we had our speeches and we began the after party.

The after party lasted for about five hours and during the last two hours, my "wife" was gone and I couldn't find her and just after the party finished, I discovered her making out with one of her bridesmaids and was told later that they went into our rented house and had sex!

Of course, I was shocked, I was hurt, but I kept my pain quiet because I didn't want to spoil the end of the night. So, afterwards, I had sex with her, very angry sex of course, and after that, we just sat in silence, I was disgusted by her and we didn't do anything else that night.

It's been over a month now and I'm still trying to process what is going on. We had a few long talks about this and she confessed to me that she has been having feeling for her friend for many years as they have grown close and my "wife" has been questioning her sexuality. They have had sex in the past behind my back and I'm just disgusted by it.

We have spoken to her bridesmaid and she has said the same thing, that they have been having sex behind my back and they have been close ever since. My "wife" is going through a confused phase and I want to help her as she is my best friend, but I know what she did was unquestionable and she is a horrible person for doing this.

Any advice guys?

tl;dr: My [27M] "wife" [28F] cheated on me on our wedding day with one of her bridesmaids [27F]

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milotic posted:

drat....

My [27M] "wife" [28F] cheated on me on our wedding day with one of her bridesmaids [27F]

Lol loving :sever: and get an annulment you moron. Either that or open the relationship with the stipulation that you have to gently caress dudes and she has to gently caress chicks.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

dudeness posted:

Fred and Wilma didn't even sleep in the same bed so let's not go looking at them for relationship advice.

Then where did Pebbles come from?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Milotic posted:

drat....

There is only one thing to do. Demand a poly relationship with the ultimatum of being able to bang them both. Ride this out until it inevitably collapses into a rage fuled dumpster fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There is only one thing to do. Demand a poly relationship with the ultimatum of being able to bang them both. Ride this out until it inevitably collapses into a rage fuled dumpster fire.

This is the way to play. You hosed up when you married crazy, get all the payback sex you can. Then choose your moment and bail just as things get weird.

Go pro and get out with a win or ride it down in flames. Either way, you get some stories out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Leave her at the altar with instructions to marry the bridesmaid.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My [32M] Wife [27F] is boring!

quote:

Not so much boring per say, but nobody listens to her when she speaks.

I should add, she is gorgeous. Stunning. A legit 9/10. But when she speaks nobody listens to her or she is interrupted immediately. Every. single. time. No matter who it is. She is incredibly intelligent and kind, but there's just something about her speaking voice...

She has a bit of a deeper, monotone voice with an ever so slight southern drawl. I used to think it was the uuuhhhhm's she added every few seconds but after gently discussing it with her, she tried to do the ol' pause in replace of uhhhm technique but people just interjected even more.

It's weird because I can see people drawn to her because of her beauty but once she starts talking they glaze over and interrupt almost immediately. No matter who it is -- young, old, extroverted, introverted. It's like her voice drops her from a 9 to a 3.

I've ever so delicately tried to talk to her about it but she became really really defensive. I've tried acting wildly entertained when she talks, asking her follow-up questions to pull other people in, but inevitably they end up talking among themselves every time she answers.

I have no idea what to do. She is an amazing listener, which works really well for us since I love to talk and tell stories, but I just can't shake the disappointment when we are around other people and she is flat out ignored. Sure it was great for the first year+ of our relationship when I felt like I had VIP access to the "real" her. But as time has trudged forward I want, more than anything, to see her grow and find her voice and learn to speak with passion.

I should add too, she isn't the least bit introverted. She loves social situations and meeting new people but it's 99% her asking questions and 1% her trying to talk and being ignored/interrupted.

Even when we are talking at home I find myself drifting off. It's like the intonation of her voice becomes white noise -- it just melds into the background. The act of concentrating and focusing on what she is saying is mentally fatiguing bordering on frustration.

Any tips on: 1. How to talk to her about this so it doesn't hurt her feelings? 2. Any tried and tested resources to diagnose and overcome something like this -- speaking lessons/therapy? (if such a thing exists)

TL;DR My wife's voice repels people and her storytelling is rote and unimaginative

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Milotic posted:

drat....

I once played at a friend's wedding and looked down mid-song to see the Bride making out with the Best (wo)Man. Apparently it was a regular occurrence and nobody seemed to care, but of all the moments to pick...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Danaru posted:

My [32M] Wife [27F] is boring!

Voice coaching and speech therapy are things that exist, my aunt is one, so there's hope.

At least we have a guy who does say he wants to help his wife grow as a person and be able to assert herself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cumshitter posted:

Alexander the Great was very definitely not one of the barbaroi hth :hist101:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I (34F) resent and blame my husband for causing an accident that left me paralyzed... not sure what to do

quote:

Throwaway because my husband knows about my reddit account.

For a bit of backstory, me and my husband started out just about how every couple does. We met in college, got engaged our junior year and got married about a year after graduating and starting our careers. We decided very early in our marriage we wanted to live the DINK lifestyle and because of that we were pretty well off. I brought in most of our income as my husband was still working his way up in his career. Our marriage was absolutely wonderful, we had a perfect life. We traveled, lived in a beautiful home, had our dream jobs and were madly in love.

About two years ago I had come home to discover a nail in my tire that was causing a slow leak. I had a super busy work week that week so my husband offered to patch it temporarily till I could get into the shop the following week. I said no problem as my husband worked as a mechanic from 18 all the way through college. He patched the tire and that was that. About two days later I was driving to work when I had what I thought at the time was a blowout, I lost control of my vehicle and was hit by another car. Next thing I remember I'm in the hospital and finding out that I'm paralyzed from the waist down. A few months later it was concluded what caused my accident was that my husband did not properly tighten my lug nuts and it caused my tire to quite literally fall off while driving.

The next two years were grueling, intensive recovery. Me and my husband both lost our jobs, I racked up extraordinary amounts of medical bills, maxed out all our credit cards, had one car repossessed and we are currently extremely close to a foreclosure. My husband has been an amazing support this entire time, he's been by my side constantly, and has handled this entire thing perfectly. I know that he's wracked with guilt, I know that he feels terrible and yet he never let it show because he was so focused on me. He's even currently working a job he absolutely hates just to pay the bills. And despite all this I still blame him for everything and I resent him.

We had a picture perfect, story book kind of life. And because of a dumb, stupid mistake he made it's all ruined. Because of him, I will never walk again. I feel absolutely awful that I feel this way but I can't help it. Just looking at him makes me angry, him doing things for me makes me angry, everything about him makes me angry. And I just don't know what to do. Divorce? How could I divorce him when he's done so much? Who will help me? I do still love him as well. Marriage counseling? Then I'd have to admit that I resent him, that I blame him and I know how awful he already feels. I really just don't know what to do at this point. And the resentment, bitterness and all that isn't good for me and I know it.

So here I am, asking what the hell to do? What can I do? How can I fix this? I just don't know.

tl;dr Husband made a mistake that caused a horrific car accident that left me paralyzed. We went from being extremely well off with no kids to barely keeping a roof over our heads. I can't do anything I once loved and I blame him for all of it. Unsure of what to do about the relationship at this point.

Holy crap. And of course, a bunch of comments I skimmed are saying 'blame yourself, not your husband.'

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

I (34F) resent and blame my husband for causing an accident that left me paralyzed... not sure what to do

Holy crap. And of course, a bunch of comments I skimmed are saying 'blame yourself, not your husband.'
Did he take the tire off to patch it? If not,,, I got news for her. It's not his dang fault.

A lot of things don't line up in that story. Mostly, I think she is devastated by being paralyzed and is romanticizing what they had before. If the "before" was true the after wouldn't be as it is at 34.

The good news is she should eventually be much happier as she comes to accept reality. :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm going to hazard a guess and say the guy who's wracked with guilt probably took the tyre off two days ago, and it wasn't the last time the tyre was changed however many months/a year ago, duh.

Edit: Counseling, marriage or personal, seems to be the right thing here.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
She resents that she can no longer enjoy her idyllic DINK life yet doesn't realize that it was that previous life that allowed her to recover and for her husband to be able to provide emotional support.

Though based on the fact that she mentioned they had a car get repoed and are near foreclosure, I also wonder if perhaps they weren't nearly as well off as she thought; better to sell than to have something taken away.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DINK? Democrats In North Korea?

EDIT: Dual income, no kids. Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

If you stub your toe and cry then that's weakness but crying at the birth of your child? I don't think that violates his masculinity.

men don't cry. men don't cry. Men don't cry. MEN don't cry. MEN DON'T CRY. MEN, DON'T CRY! DON'T CRY, MEN! IF MEN START CRYING THEN. . . . THEN. . . .

ABLOOBLOOBLOO