Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

The average cost of tuition per year has tripled and almost quadrupled in some cases over the last 20 years. I'd call that a pretty big loving jump compared to what Gen X or Boomers paid for college.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...al-universities

And other prices have fallen to offset the rise in education.

That is why the CPI is used, it measures the cost of a basket of goods and is steady, despite the jumps in education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Another article on Sears and Lampert

The Incredible Shrinking Sears https://nyti.ms/2uOeTsH

BlueBlazer posted:

As someone else in logistics, the story of Sears must be sad to watch.

It is for me. They had their chance, could have been a much better version of Amazon and the current online incarnation of Walmart. But no. Run into the ground by a hedgefund Randoid.

The constant stream of Sears deathwatch articles are one of the unexpectedly satisfying parts of this thread. As a traditional retailer Sears was probably going to be under pressure no matter what due to competition from Walmart + online retailers and consumers generally having less disposable income. It's the know-it-all hedge fund star trying to recreate Galt's gulch and driving the company off a cliff in a highly public manner that makes it all so compelling. Too bad about all those people losing their jobs.
:capitalism:

This most recent article makes it clear Lampert understands his Randian experiment has failed and is trying to recoup as much of his investment as possible cannibalizing what remains of the company and real-estate shenanigans. A set of related quotes I thought were interesting:

quote:

In recent years, Mr. Lampert has played the role of Sears Holdings’s primary banker, collecting fees while providing loans to the operations side of the company. As a result, Mr. Lampert’s hedge fund and other entities hold a significant portion of Sears Holdings’s debt, in effect making him one of the company’s biggest lenders. The bulk of that debt is secured by property or inventory.

The debt ensures that even if Sears Holdings goes into bankruptcy, Mr. Lampert has a prominent seat at the table — and a voice in its future course — since debt-holders come before shareholders in working out a corporate restructuring through the courts.

Alternative Endings Seen for Sears and Its Hedge Fund Chief

quote:

The liabilities on its balance sheet top $13 billion, including more than $4 billion of debt or debt-like obligations and nearly $2 billion more earmarked for pensions.

I'm guessing pension holders aren't prioritized very highly during corporate restructuring.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahahaha, gently caress right off Xae with this bullshit.

$40k ain't poo poo when your rent is $1k/month or more, even in non-Tier A cities. And plenty of jobs aren't even paying that much.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if i'm not poor can you explain why i eat only eggs

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my diet is 100% eggs. does that sound like the lifestyle of a rich man? i think not

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
breakfast? eggs. lunch? eggs. dinner? i can rarely afford dinner but when i splurge you better believe it's eggs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This isn't GBS.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am debating and discussing the retail collapse of 2017, which has led me to my current sorry situation, which is that i live behind a meth lab, wear nothing but a hooded dressing gown 24/7 and eat only eggs. i have a university debt and the neighbourhood children are afraid of me. in my free time i go to a nearby reserve and build large complex arrangements of logs and branches around the nascent wattle trees

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they said when the USSR fell that you could tell the health of the various local economies by the price of eggs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You can afford eggs? It's oat porridge all-day everyday for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'm pretty sure you could tell the health of the local economy by the drastic decline in actual humans' actual health.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i have a tiny flock of japanese quail with forthright and demanding personalities

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I'm a millennial and can confirm that my former high school peers are basically split into two groups of having degrees and making good money or, like me, working service jobs and kindly asking that you mail food donations. I mean a lot of millenials are doing quite fine for themselves, all the whining about housing costs is not going to change that. The problem is he half with no degrees is hosed like never before. There are no lomger ample low skills decent paying manufacturing jobs and the service industry actually gets worse and worse as competition becomes cut throats and the few unions remaining are basically UFCW bullshit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I was in a sears yesterday and they were running at like quarter staff, i was surprised they still had the lights on full.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's still so weird the Kmart merger deal actually got done, when it really exposed the hell out of the company to Wal-Mart. I mean Kmart WAS Wal-Mart outside of the South in its heyday, it was a sitting duck.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Amused to Death posted:

I'm a millennial and can confirm that my former high school peers are basically split into two groups of having degrees and making good money or, like me, working service jobs and kindly asking that you mail food donations. I mean a lot of millenials are doing quite fine for themselves, all the whining about housing costs is not going to change that. The problem is he half with no degrees is hosed like never before. There are no lomger ample low skills decent paying manufacturing jobs and the service industry actually gets worse and worse as competition becomes cut throats and the few unions remaining are basically UFCW bullshit

Also, even the millennials with degrees and living wages middle-class-or-better incomes came of age financially around the Great Recession.

That produced a lot of people who are very, very conservative in their personal finances. While it never got to the "Grandma saves cereal boxes from 1968 in the basement, because they could come in handy" levels of the Great Depression's kids, it produced a lot of people who treat even high-paying jobs as something that could evaporate unexpectedly, who try to avoid consumer debt, who have a pretty strong tilt towards savings if they can afford it, and who don't want to pay $5 extra for name brand goods over the store brands even if their gross pay is $100k/year.

You might notice that there's a really high correlation between "Millennials are killing x" articles and what people recommend you avoid in "simple tips for saving money" articles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xae posted:

And other prices have fallen to offset the rise in education.

That is why the CPI is used, it measures the cost of a basket of goods and is steady, despite the jumps in education.

by excluding the areas that have increased the most (education, housing, healthcare) it's quite easy to prove that inflation hasn't happened. wow!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

by excluding the areas that have increased the most (education, housing, healthcare) it's quite easy to prove that inflation hasn't happened. wow!

Are you too lazy or too dumb to Google an answer to something? Or both?

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/questions-and-answers.htm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the thing about millenial housing is that we're not satisfied with cheap tract housing so even though housing is arguably cheap in some areas it's nowhere that the bulk of millenials want to live, who are instead contributing to soaring intown prices

i would have already bought a starter house out in the burbs if that was remotely the lifestyle i wanted to live

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The CPI does include housing, education, child care, and health care costs. Nonetheless, the median household income is lower than it was in 1999.

And even that measure doesn't take into account the casualization of labour, dismantling of unions and worker protections, and the doubling of extreme poverty with a five-year period. It also doesn't take into account the vast gap between anemic wage increases and skyrocketing productivity increases, nor does it account for income inequality in any way.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xae posted:

Are you too lazy or too dumb to Google an answer to something? Or both?

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/questions-and-answers.htm

both, yes
i'm guessing I mixed up some other inflation index and CPI or something but again, im too dumb and lazy to figure out where i went so wrong

edit: upon quick googling it seems CPI 'weights' different sectors and if i'd used a word different than excluded i'd have been correct! booya

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 22, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Postmodern architecture must be stopped. It always results in ugly, space-wasting death traps. gently caress, look at Grenfell.

On another note, a lot of companies suffering downturns seem to be from chasing the same unicorn: the millennial with money.

Grenfell's not postmodern, nor was its facade. Postmodernists include a number of architects, James Stirling being a great example, who prioritized the effectiveness of the building in their use of postmodern methods.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xae posted:

Median salary for 25-35 year old is 40k/yr. Which means half of them are making more than that.

Sorry if you're dumb enough to believe that an entire generation is poor, but reality says otherwise.

Reality says that an entire generation is, statistically, doing worse than their parents:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/13/millennials-falling-behind-boomer-parents/96530338/

quote:

With a median household income of $40,581, millennials earn 20 percent less than boomers did at the same stage of life, despite being better educated, according to a new analysis of Federal Reserve data by the advocacy group Young Invincibles.

The analysis being released Friday gives concrete details about a troubling generational divide that helps to explain much of the anxiety that defined the 2016 election. Millennials have half the net worth of boomers. Their home ownership rate is lower, while their student debt is drastically higher.

This isn't some fringe bit of research, it's literally just an analysis of Federal Reserve data. Stop whining because you're afraid of being associated with a generation of people who are legitimately worse off than the people who raised them. Millennials also have lower net worth than their parents did at equivalent life stages, which is actually even more troubling. All of this has pretty real implications for the future, but go ahead and pretend it's not happening because it makes you uncomfortable.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't some fringe bit of research, it's literally just an analysis of Federal Reserve data. Stop whining because you're afraid of being associated with a generation of people who are legitimately worse off than the people who raised them. Millennials also have lower net worth than their parents did at equivalent life stages, which is actually even more troubling. All of this has pretty real implications for the future, but go ahead and pretend it's not happening because it makes you uncomfortable.

he's technically not wrong, neither are you, you're just arguing different definitions of poor

if half of millennial households are making more than 40k a year then that's not bad and not necessarily 'poor' even if they're relatively worse off than boomers were. a significant factor here is age, as younger people just tend to make less money anyway, as well as the racial link to SES where millennials are the least white generation broadly participating in the economy so far

i'm a white male millenial in my thirties and things are going fine for me, i'm sure this likely the case for most other d&d goons since this forum skews towards white male geeks approaching middle age

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Reality says that an entire generation is, statistically, doing worse than their parents:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/13/millennials-falling-behind-boomer-parents/96530338/

When you strawman that hard you can't help but project.

So the question is why does stating that all Millenials aren't poor make you so uncomfortable?

Why does a simple, correct and obvious statement like "not everyone born in between 1980 and 2000 is poor" trigger such a visceral response from people?

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 22, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Xae posted:

The number just don't support the poverty circlejerk that people engage in.

It is just fashionable to pretend to be poor on the internet.
"How could this possibly offend anyone," said the Extremely Smart Online Person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

i'm a white male millenial in my thirties and things are going fine for me

Liberalism.txt

Xae posted:

So the question is why does stating that all Millenials aren't poor make you so uncomfortable?

Why does a simple, correct and obvious statement like "not everyone born in between 1980 and 2000 is poor" trigger such a visceral response from people?

It's a loving facile statement. Obviously there are non-poor millennials. The point we're trying to make is that there are many many many more poor millennials.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
blaming millenials is how boomers cope with voting themselves into poverty

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

It's a loving facile statement. Obviously there are non-poor millennials. The point we're trying to make is that there are many many many more poor millennials.

there are many poor boomers too. all groups of society under an exploitative capitalist system have their share of haves and have nots in varying proportions based on their relative properties such as age, race, geographic etc. this very forum loves to poo poo on poor old rural boomers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

there are many poor boomers too. all groups of society under an exploitative capitalist system have their share of haves and have nots in varying proportions based on their relative properties such as age, race, geographic etc. this very forum loves to poo poo on poor old rural boomers

Paradoxish posted:

Millennials are a hosed generation, stop trying to justify it because you personally are doing okay. Most of my friends are struggling to meet ends and asking for financial help constantly.

E: VVV Get hosed with your condescending attitude, you're a real loving piece of work.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 22, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i'm glad your quote button works but that has nothing to do with what i'm talking about in any way. you could choose not to post if you have nothing to say but you made the wrong choice this time, buckaroo

e: oh nice edit with anecdotal evidence that all your friends are broke. sucks for your social circle, all my friends are doing well. hey it's almost like personal experience doesn't matter unless you're looking for reasons to get mad huh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It is important to remember that plenty of boomers have been laid off and struggling over the past decade. The "cohort" of people moving back in with their parents due to economic hardship includes people in their 50s.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

It is important to remember that plenty of boomers have been laid off and struggling over the past decade. The "cohort" of people moving back in with their parents due to economic hardship includes people in their 50s.

really what a lot of people forget is that the united states is undergoing a long overdue economic stagnation as a natural consequence of massive economic boom of the postwar 20th century. while it's true that boomers did dismantle a lot of economic protections like unions and welfare there's also a structural change in the american economy that was going to happen no matter what. like unions or not it just wasn't sustainable to be able to get a job at the local broom factory straight out of high school and make a decent wage

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xae posted:

Because a normal response to a problem that's affecting a group of people is not to point out that some of that group are unaffected. It does absolutely nothing to further the discussion and is going to read to just about everyone as if you're writing off the issue entirely. This is equivalent to responding to a discussion about wealth inequality by pointing out that actually some people are rich. What's your actual goal here? Why do you feel the need to respond to people complaining about issues affecting millennials by pointing out the painfully obvious fact that some people are doing fine?

I agree entirely with BC that this is more of a symptom of a larger economic problem, but it doesn't do anyone any good to write off the concerns of people who feel as if they're being left behind by saying "actually some of your peers are doing great!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"millennials" is such a weak descriptor on a massive demographic that it's functionally useless for this argument

like i said, i'm a mid 30's white male millennial with computer touching skills who got my education out of the way before tuition started rising and the job market collapsed. economically i have very little in common with a poor nonwhite female millennial in her mid/early 20's who is priced out of college and facing down no viable job prospects. and if you swap "millennial" for "boomer" in the previous statement not a whole lot has changed in the last 50 years except more white males are on the skids comparatively

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

boner confessor posted:

really what a lot of people forget is that the united states is undergoing a long overdue economic stagnation as a natural consequence of massive economic boom of the postwar 20th century. while it's true that boomers did dismantle a lot of economic protections like unions and welfare there's also a structural change in the american economy that was going to happen no matter what. like unions or not it just wasn't sustainable to be able to get a job at the local broom factory straight out of high school and make a decent wage
This argument presumes that, as technology reduces the need for unskilled labour, those who can't obtain a job in the new economy will just have to die off. That's only happening because that vast surplus is going to the top. The signs of that are everywhere, including the retail economy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

This argument presumes that, as technology reduces the need for unskilled labour, those who can't obtain a job in the new economy will just have to die off. That's only happening because that vast surplus is going to the top. The signs of that are everywhere, including the retail economy.

i'm not presuming anything here, i'm just pointing out that we're not so much regressing as returning to the mean. less that society is being dismantled vs. the boomers won a chronological lottery and squandered it instead of leaving an inheritance for future generations. the relative wealth of the mid 20th century could have gone towards building a better society but it was instead wasted on conspicuous consumption and welp

for example there's a noticable hole in the mid 20th century where american preferences for urban development and growth skewed heavily towards autocentric modes and suburban tract housing while being actively hostile to mass transi, which artificially produced cheap rear end housing that society is now footing the bill for in various ways. meanwhile "trendy" concepts of a century ago like streetcars and adaptive urban reuse are increasingly popular because we're not going backwards, just returning to the mean of a century ago as we get away from the economic aberration of the 1950's-1980's

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Because a normal response to a problem that's affecting a group of people is not to point out that some of that group are unaffected. It does absolutely nothing to further the discussion and is going to read to just about everyone as if you're writing off the issue entirely. This is equivalent to responding to a discussion about wealth inequality by pointing out that actually some people are rich. What's your actual goal here? Why do you feel the need to respond to people complaining about issues affecting millennials by pointing out the painfully obvious fact that some people are doing fine?

I agree entirely with BC that this is more of a symptom of a larger economic problem, but it doesn't do anyone any good to write off the concerns of people who feel as if they're being left behind by saying "actually some of your peers are doing great!"
Because if a huge portion of the target population isn't effected that means the "target" is wrong.

The problem isn't Millenials, the problem is the larger economic issues and buying into the "Millennials are all X" contributes to the Sea of Bullshit distracting people from the economic problems that are coming home to roost.

Discussing the issue as one of generations is the exact wrong way to approach the issue.

When you set the contrast between groups as generations you're accepting a false premise and making it a starting point.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xae posted:

Because if a huge portion of the target population isn't effected that means the "target" is wrong.

Please cite some statistics about how a "huge portion" of Millennials are rich. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Please cite some statistics about how a "huge portion" of Millennials are rich. :allears:

Please cite we're I said that or gently caress off.

Better yet, don't bother. Since you don't seem to contribute anything besides butt hurt and whining I have a better solution.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)