Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thought that I'd wait a few weeks after the steam release to look at Secret Worlds Legends.
And.....nope.
Going to wait until the intellectual property gets rebooted into it's ultimate form of all FUNCOM MMO's combined into one.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Now that the game's been out a pretty good while, is it still nigh-impossible to level more than the two weapons you start with? Didn't get a terribly clear answer about the state of the game last time I poked my head in here beyond one person telling me "nah the game sucks" so I hosed off for a while to give the game more time to simmer.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Inverted Sphere posted:

Now that the game's been out a pretty good while, is it still nigh-impossible to level more than the two weapons you start with? Didn't get a terribly clear answer about the state of the game last time I poked my head in here beyond one person telling me "nah the game sucks" so I hosed off for a while to give the game more time to simmer.

It's pretty trivial to keep your main weapons tip top and another set of weapons not too far behind. Levelling flattens out once you hit Mythic and then getting different weapons and even different gear sets to purple isn't that hard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Funcom should put some Anarchy Online themed costumes into SWL :v:

(I don't know what they might look like, never played it)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Funcom should put some Anarchy Online themed costumes into SWL :v:

(I don't know what they might look like, never played it)

Anarchy Online had a ton of futuristic sexy fetish gear and power armor

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Capntastic posted:

It's pretty trivial to keep your main weapons tip top and another set of weapons not too far behind. Levelling flattens out once you hit Mythic and then getting different weapons and even different gear sets to purple isn't that hard.

So if you're subscribed I take it the overall grind honestly isn't that bad anymore? That's a huge relief to hear. What about skills, is the skill/ability grind itself still a vertical wall of impossibility at 50 if you decide you wanna do something totally different?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
With a sub, you could probably grind out enough points for a decent build in a week of 1-2hr mission running. I'm playing through the whole game as a sub (lv 30 before the double ap thing) and right now I'm halfway through shadowy forest with 4 ap trees maxed, 2 max sp trees, and 3 decently full trees. If you scatter points everywhere it'll take a bit longer but I wouldn't say it's bad.

The hardest grind is gear. Don't expect to be running far endgame (elite 3+) with multiple specs for a while, because it's expecting mid level purples and a yellow or two. Higher than that and you're looking at pumping your items up with everything you get. If you do want to swap weapons a lot, swap within a spec. This means pretty much only DPS will see a lot of variability.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 20, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Inverted Sphere posted:

So if you're subscribed I take it the overall grind honestly isn't that bad anymore? That's a huge relief to hear. What about skills, is the skill/ability grind itself still a vertical wall of impossibility at 50 if you decide you wanna do something totally different?

You can buy blue gear for next to nothing and get those to purple in maybe a few days, much less if you buy green items to feed to them from the auction house. All of my talismans are purple right now and I have a tanking set getting to all purples. All of the story content is pretty easy to gear for, and if you're worried about being Tip Top for Max Elites then that's the only real way you're gonna have a steep treadmill to chase.

Edit: I basically run my dailies every day and have 5 out of 9 of the active weapon trees unlocked fully. You need maybe a week's worth of casual play to get the AP for all the abilities in a tree, I'd estimate.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 20, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Advice for new players: dont pick chaos unless you intend to tank. Your most damaging power abilities generate hate and 2 out of 3 elite abilities place impairs or whatever they are called now.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Did I have a fever dream or did they add a cosmetic option in the wardrobe for weapons?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

clone on the phone posted:

Did I have a fever dream or did they add a cosmetic option in the wardrobe for weapons?

You're still dreaming so enjoy it* while you can

*(spending tons of marks of friendhsip and aurums on them!)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

Advice for new players: dont pick chaos unless you intend to tank. Your most damaging power abilities generate hate and 2 out of 3 elite abilities place impairs or whatever they are called now.

Alternatively pick chaos anyway but swap out your powers using ones from your other weapon when you aren't tanking.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not sure what the issue is with chaos exactly but nobody wants to use breakdown. It does more damage than deconstruct and yeah, it costs more energy but the same applies to the non-tanking power abilities in hammer and shotgun and they get used loads. :confused:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They see the smaller amount of damage that breakdown does in comparison to some DPS skills, failing to understand that said damage is instant not X amount over time Y.

Breakdown is good and cool.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Min-maxing advice is fine for players who are interested in that, but it's possible to safely ignore it until Transylvania at which point getting 3 pip items or extraordinary items becomes important. The most important thing is to remind players that they should save all of their old leveled items for fusion. Levelling a new piece of gear to purple is relatively easy, even for someone who doesn't run a load of dailies every day.

Sekenr posted:

Some of those chaos tank abilities are quite nice for solo dps though. Just keep another weapon as primary, and don't use the aggro abilities in dungeons.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah but some dungeon items are complete poo poo and you don't really have to worry about replacing your cheap non dungeon one. Like belts. Oh wow more movement speed when you hit something it the back where do I sign up.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

Yeah but some dungeon items are complete poo poo and you don't really have to worry about replacing your cheap non dungeon one. Like belts. Oh wow more movement speed when you hit something it the back where do I sign up.
There's quite a few bosses where that would be very handy for melee dps but it's far from essential, yeah.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DancingShade posted:

They see the smaller amount of damage that breakdown does in comparison to some DPS skills, failing to understand that said damage is instant not X amount over time Y.

The issue with Breakdown is that multi-hit powers supposedly take a crit chance penalty. Then there's the problem that its passive requires all of its hits to land.

This means that, contrary to expectations, Havoc is worthless on Chaos.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Looks like Sarge has been experimenting with the 'special bullets' himself

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tallgeese posted:

The issue with Breakdown is that multi-hit powers supposedly take a crit chance penalty. Then there's the problem that its passive requires all of its hits to land.

This means that, contrary to expectations, Havoc is worthless on Chaos.
If the multiple hit/crit interaction works like I've heard then Havoc works just as well on Chaos as any other weapon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pilchenstein posted:

If the multiple hit/crit interaction works like I've heard then Havoc works just as well on Chaos as any other weapon.

I thought it was for every extra hit above one, crit chance is 20% less?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tallgeese posted:

I thought it was for every extra hit above one, crit chance is 20% less?
I don't remember the exact numbers I saw but the gist was that your crit chance is reduced but your crit damage is increased. Also it wasn't reduced by a flat amount, though I don't think it was as neat as "divide crit chance by number of hits".

The upshot is that you should see roughly the same benefit from crit power for single/multihit abilities.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AfroSquirrel posted:

Looks like Sarge has been experimenting with the 'special bullets' himself

I'm more concerned with how your character doesn't look like a carnival freak. What kind of secret worlder are you?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DancingShade posted:

I'm more concerned with how your character doesn't look like a carnival freak. What kind of secret worlder are you?
If I remember rightly, none of the cutscenes involve your character talking to Sarge, you're always talking to the woman from DHS while he lectures an NPC secret worlder in the background.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DancingShade posted:

That's not me. Sarge is always talking to other people while government-ponytail-girl is talking to the player character for those cutscenes.

EDIT: ...should have refreshed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Whew.

If there isn't a wildly impractical outfit involved then I just don't want to know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Why can't they make the eyeball outfit available to male characters? :bahgawd:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DancingShade posted:

I use Breakdown as my main single-target attack. Am... am I doing it wrong?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You're doing everything right.

While the DPS RAH person is still going through locked animations you're free to spam more basic attacks which not only bring your DPS up to theirs but also to generate more purple goodness glowing things.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DancingShade posted:

You're doing everything right.

While the DPS RAH person is still going through locked animations you're free to spam more basic attacks which not only bring your DPS up to theirs but also to generate more purple goodness glowing things.

Oh good, that was my thinking. I've been using the same basic concept that the game sends you down with unlocked picks; I've been running the Collapse line of Chaos as my main setup, though I'm just now experimenting with swapping out Entropy for a Pistol skill for more damage (the only Pistol skill I'd been using regularly was for healing). I'm not sure if I'm going to keep doing so, because while more damage from the backup pistol is nice it's also fewer Paradoxes which means fewer clones of me or exploding singularities on the floor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man Savage Coast is a lot more atmospheric than Kingsmouth Town. That amusment park is pretty cool

Also I just swapped to shotguns with hammer backup and I really like the shotgun gimmick. What's the effective difference between DPS shotgun rounds? Also, how does energy management work- I'm using Energy weapons but I still run out pretty fast spamming rocke tshot

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Always maintain stacks of Dragon's Breath. In between use purple shells or blue if purple doesn't show up.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Energy management becomes easier as you get more crit (each time you crit you get an energy), but certain other things like specific talismans (Seed of Aggression, Cold Silver Dice) can also help. Mostly you need to find a rotation that sustains reasonably well. As you're using Shotgun, I highly recommend picking up the Odds and Evens passive, then alternating Raging Shot with basic attacks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Kessel posted:

Always maintain stacks of Dragon's Breath. In between use purple shells or blue if purple doesn't show up.
Counterpoint: just use whatever because the ammo gimmick for shotgun is deliberately awkward as gently caress and you could go crazy trying to micromanage it.

Edit: in an ideal world, Kessel's advice is good but you will honestly find shotgun to be the worst, most frustrating weapon if you try to plan around what kind of ammo you're using

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 22, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Counterpoint: just use whatever because the ammo gimmick for shotgun is deliberately awkward as gently caress and you could go crazy trying to micromanage it.
Or you could maintain a simple priority system that a child could execute: Dragon's Breath as often as possible (which does great damage with or without passive), Purple Shells whenever. Stop acting like paying the slightest bit of attention to how you play is this huge hardcore chore. Funcom redesigned all of the weapon gimmicks to be simple and easy to manage, and they are. We're not talking some 800 APM complex rotation here.

I swear, some people in this thread are so adverse to anything approaching effort that they freak out anytime people talk about small, easy things you can do to greatly improve your results. If you want to pay no attention to how you play then by all means, go for it. But please, stop imposing it on others.

Amante fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 22, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Amante posted:

Or you could maintain a simple priority system that a child could execute: Dragon's Breath as often as possible (which does great damage with or without passive), Purple Shells whenever. Stop acting like paying the slightest bit of attention to how you play is this huge hardcore chore. Funcom redesigned all of the weapon gimmicks to be simple and easy to manage, and they are. We're not talking some 800 APM complex rotation here.

I swear, some people in this thread are so adverse to anything approaching effort that they freak out anytime people talk about small, easy things you can do to greatly improve your results. If you want to pay no attention to how you play then by all means, go for it. But please, stop imposing it on others.
I think you're reading things into my post that weren't there mate.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I think the argument was that it's super difficult to manage, which it's definitely not. I do the priority system too and it's easy. Sometimes you hit the wrong one or you get all anima shells, but just trying to swap between fire send dmg is doable and does give a dps bump, though I don't know how much.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Amante posted:

Tell us more about forgoing major quality-of-life improvements like sprint upgrades to prioritize negligible increases in combat ability that make no difference until well after you have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So basically best is fire, then purple then blue; is healing useful when you're tanking?