Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm submitting my application for full RAS status right now post-dated for the day it's official

e: also go perds

You can get in ground floor with the Vegas Goldaknights right now!

I'm moving from Detroit in a couple weeks so it's an ideal time to start exploring a second team, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

no I meant why sign with the canucks

he's from Vancouver and also it's probably easier to make the NHL on a lovely team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he's from Vancouver and also it's probably easier to make the NHL on a lovely team

His family is also very rich (his Dad was big in software in the 90s and now owns the Vancouver Whitecaps of the MLS), so he's not the type of player who'll ever need to prioritize earnings. His number one goal is probably making it to the NHL as soon as possible, and that's most likely to happen with a crappy team like the Canucks. Given that he's also from the area and had season tickets growing up, it's not impossible for him to consider fulfilling that childhood dream.

With that said, I'm from the same town as him, also had season tickets growing up and there's no way I'd sign with the Canucks in his position. He'll likely be into his 30s by the time there's even the slightest chance they'll be good again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'd imagine it's tough to be a hometown player in a Canadian market too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also, it would be great if the Bruins could just give Pastrnak whatever he wants already. Get it done. Come on.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Want to rescue this from the bottom of a page because it's really good.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also, it would be great if the Bruins could just give Pastrnak whatever he wants already. Get it done. Come on.

what if what he wants is to play for the new york rangers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a false posted:

what if what he wants is to play for the new york rangers

then i am going to kill myself

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah I'm glad Bourne is back to writing because his stuff is always interesting.

Also: Crosby is good

https://twitter.com/FromTheFaceoff/status/899771668880654336

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I dunno, I agree that in an 82 game schedule it's really hard to get in an adequate amount of time to effectively implement a system mid-season. No one questions that players will have difficulty adapting to a whole new style of play at a game level having barely done it in a controlled setting before. Beyond that, his reasons are "players make mistakes and coaches are afraid to try something new" which are hardly compelling arguments. That's just a roundabout way of reinforcing the risk averse status quo that has permeated all corners of the NHL right now.

I don't think anyone thinks that a team should be able to play a variety of wholly different styles to adapt to any given opponent, that's silly. However, what fans take umbrage with is teams that keep doggedly sticking to a style that is objectively not working in very apparent ways. Coaches sometimes resort to just shuffling the lines hoping to get a hit, when it's apparent their whole structure just doesn't work. For a team in the playoff hunt that's fine, but for one languishing at the bottom of the standings what's the harm?

I'm a Canucks fan so obviously that's my strongest frame of reference, but I watched my team go through two miserable years where they never won and never changed their strategy or style even slightly. They stuck to the same tired breakout, the same lazy powerplay drop pass, the same high forecheck and rapid regroup into the neutral zone with absolutely no change in results. Perhaps trying a more attacking system just once to try and entertain folks would be good? Maybe don't train the youngsters (those that they bothered to use) to play the same unsuccessful, insipid play style knowing full well it doesn't work?

It might not be easy to change styles, but for a handful of teams it's probably necessary to at least try something new occasionally. There's really nothing to lose.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Yeah I'm glad Bourne is back to writing because his stuff is always interesting.

Also: Crosby is good

https://twitter.com/FromTheFaceoff/status/899771668880654336

There's a lot of things about pro players that impress me but the edge work might be thing #1. It is so hard to skate like that and be in complete control of the puck and your body. The body control pro athletes have is just insane, and obviously Crosby is on another level even compared to the average pro with that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it's crazy how he makes Marchand, one of the better two-way guys in the league, look stupid multiple times in the video. Maybe Brad's been partying too much this summer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's unrealistic though because in a real game Marchand would be stabbing him way more.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
also for reference the cardiovascular fitness of those two fellows is obscene

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

That's unrealistic though because in a real game Marchand would be nut-shotting him way more.

Ftfy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/899716133569396741

V:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvjwQ8QqUdk&t=253s

The first second of that video applies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

That's unrealistic though because in a real game Marchand would be stabbing him way more.

yeah after about the second or third spin Sid would either be getting speared in the nuts or low bridged.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

zetterberg told swedish media he's only playing two more seasons in detroit then loving off to sweden

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/report-henrik-zetterberg-will-leave-detroit-before-contract-ends-then-go-home-to-sweden

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

exact quote: "in a coupl'a years imma prolly gently caress off to sweden"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If the NHL wasn't run by a bunch of dweebs someone should have offersheeted the gently caress out of Athanasiou by now. Detroit is hosed in cap space

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

If the NHL wasn't run by a bunch of dweebs someone should have offersheeted the gently caress out of Athanasiou by now. Detroit is hosed in cap space

They'd match and Kronwall would suffer one of those mysterious injuries that require immediate LTIR out of the blue.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
gently caress Ken Holland

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Which will be worse in 2019-20? 5m+ in cap recapture for Zetterberg, or 7m+ in age 35+ Ericsson/Daley?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Zetterburg contract was still really loving good even if they have to pay recapture later on. 68 points last year and 499 over the past 8 years, all for 6m? Steal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

They'd match and Kronwall would suffer one of those mysterious injuries that require immediate LTIR out of the blue.

I think you mean "allergy"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't see how recapture doesn't get negotiated away during the next lockout/circumvented with LTIR

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

The Zetterburg contract was still really loving good even if they have to pay recapture later on. 68 points last year and 499 over the past 8 years, all for 6m? Steal.

Seriously. That zetterberg deal was a steal for the wings. They knew drat well he wasn't going to play it out and it was still the right call to sign that deal when they did.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The cap recapture rule being applied retroactively is stupid. None of the players who signed these contracts expected to play the years they're getting paid $1m for. The league made that rule after rejecting the Kovalchuk contract, and teams made these contracts to abide by that rule.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

The cap recapture rule being applied retroactively is stupid. None of the players who signed these contracts expected to play the years they're getting paid $1m for.

It's not punishing them though, it's punishing the teams that would otherwise have faced no consequences for cheating the cap.

edit: If, instead of retiring, recapture makes these guys go on "LTIR" and collect a few extra million bucks, they're actually benefiting from it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
cant wait for the final couple years of the weber contract to start :munch:

holmgren should go in the hhof for that offer sheet alone

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thufir posted:

It's not punishing them though, it's punishing the teams that would otherwise have faced no consequences for cheating the cap.

edit: If, instead of retiring, recapture makes these guys go on "LTIR" and collect a few extra million bucks, they're actually benefiting from it.

The cap recapture penalties and the contract length limits were put in place to prevent teams from signing absurd, back-diving contracts in the future. I'm pretty sure that the NHL won't care if the players who are currently signed to those contracts just end up getting put on LTIR when they want to retire.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Zetterberg isn't going on LTIR, though, he's probably going to play in Sweden.

I just think that retroactively applying rules like this is really lovely. On the other hand, the Red Wings' cap situation is such a mess that this will probably help force the inevitable for the team, and probably Ken Holland, too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There should really be a penalty of some sort for admitting a contract was made in bad faith. A last round pick or something.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

grack posted:

The cap recapture penalties and the contract length limits were put in place to prevent teams from signing absurd, back-diving contracts in the future. I'm pretty sure that the NHL won't care if the players who are currently signed to those contracts just end up getting put on LTIR when they want to retire.

The contract limits prevent the absurd backdiving contracts but the penalties are theoretically to deter GMs from potential future cap fuckery of other types. If the NHL allows obvious LTIR abuse to avoid that it would be allowing cap fuckery to escape the penalties for cap fuckery. Which, it's the NHL so they probably will but it's not like it's inconsequential.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I meant for contracts signed prior to the current CBA. I thought that would have been obvious.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

deoju posted:

There should really be a penalty of some sort for admitting a contract was made in bad faith. A last round pick or something.

they tried to do that with taking away the devils 1st round pick for kovy 1.0 and couldnt even stick to their guns on that

Thufir
May 19, 2004

grack posted:

I meant for contracts signed prior to the latest CBA. I thought that would have been obvious.

Yeah, me too. They should stick to the recapture penalties for those contracts so that GMs get the idea that if, in the future they come up with new and exciting ways to get around the cap, they might end up getting hosed in new and exciting ways if the rest of the league doesn't like it.

Zodijackylite posted:

I just think that retroactively applying rules like this is really lovely.

It's kind of brilliant in a way. They're not explicitly punishing them for something that was allowed at the time, which taking away a draft pick would have been. They're not hurting the players or pissing off the NHLPA by changing the terms of the contract. It wouldn't be an issue if they intended the contract to be active to its full term.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 22, 2017

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The league always had the power to just reject the backdiving contracts in the first place though, it's not like their hands were tied. They chose to approve contracts everyone knew were in bad faith and then decided to punish those parties later.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I don't see them getting rid of recapture penalty cause it would end up with the players getting more than their 50% share and the owners would never do that even if the GMs are down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo anyone near Philly, the Flyera/Isles rookie game on 9/13 at 7PM at Wells Fargo Center is free parking/free tickets

• Locked thread