Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm having a debate with myself for what to use to ferry some Black Templars across the board. I'm currently trying to decide between a Stormraven or a Landraider Crusader.

I'm thinking the Stormraven would be better on the table, but the Crusader is more fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Floppychop posted:

So I'm having a debate with myself for what to use to ferry some Black Templars across the board. I'm currently trying to decide between a Stormraven or a Landraider Crusader.

I'm thinking the Stormraven would be better on the table, but the Crusader is more fluffy.

Never don't Crusader for Black Templars. It's too cool not to.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be completely honest, I don't see AdMech getting much of a release this time around. They're going to be coming right after Death Guard and their release window will probably walk all over AdMech's. They might get Cawl separated from the Triumvirate box. That's all I'd be willing to bet on. It kind of sucks because they're such a new army that there are holes in their range, but GW's pretty focused on getting books out right now.

Floppychop posted:

Land Raider Crusader. More capacity, tougher, and a complete monster. I ran one in a 3-game tournament the other week and stuffed it full of Deathwing Knights, Belial, and a Deathwing Ancient. I'd just charge in with the Crusader, unload the terminators and go to town.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

To be completely honest, I don't see AdMech getting much of a release this time around. They're going to be coming right after Death Guard and their release window will probably walk all over AdMech's. They might get Cawl separated from the Triumvirate box. That's all I'd be willing to bet on. It kind of sucks because they're such a new army that there are holes in their range, but GW's pretty focused on getting books out right now.

Yeah, I agree. Though I think "Getting books out there" is the way to go right now, particularly if they keep this pace up and hit all the codexes by mid next-year.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Land Raider Crusader. More capacity, tougher, and a complete monster. I ran one in a 3-game tournament the other week and stuffed it full of Deathwing Knights, Belial, and a Deathwing Ancient. I'd just charge in with the Crusader, unload the terminators and go to town.

This is why I was thinking they might be getting new releases, because it's right after the Death Guard. I hope so anyway. Guess we'll find out in a month! (Not that I can afford it. I just spent like 200 on my Custodes force).

Also, thirding the Crusader. You can't take Templars and not take a Crusader.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I agree. Though I think "Getting books out there" is the way to go right now, particularly if they keep this pace up and hit all the codexes by mid next-year.

I wonder what they do after that, though. Traditionally once all the codexes are out its new edition time, but obviously that's not the case anymore.

So in a year, maybe 18 months, when we have ~25 codexes and they are all done, what do they put out every month?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So in a year, maybe 18 months, when we have ~25 codexes and they are all done, what do they put out every month?
9th Edition.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ilor posted:

9th Edition.

Yeah, I made that joke too. :)

But really, the Chapter Approved/General's Handbook approach is designed to make an edition last longer, so even if they were The Old GW they'd still not mix those approaches I think.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JoshTheStampede posted:

I wonder what they do after that, though. Traditionally once all the codexes are out its new edition time, but obviously that's not the case anymore.

I think that's where we start to see more updates to old factions, just done without a new codex to accompany them. Probably a campaign/warzone books that let them update multiple factions at once with 1-2 units apiece

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Stormraven is still 14 wounds. Toughness and save is 1 worse, but wouldn't the -1 to hit compensate for that? Their armaments are very similar as well. Crusader can get a bonus stormbolter, but otherwise it's multimelta vs the Stormstrike launchers.

Crusader wins the cool factor, but being able to dump 12 dudes and a Dread in charge range almost wherever I want on on Turn 2 seems big.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

JoshTheStampede posted:

A disgusting yet revitalizing soda may be the thematic key for my Nurgle/Slaanesh team-up army...

Papa Nurgle's Watermellon Slaanesh SeXPunch!™

It's Disgustingly Resilient!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Floppychop posted:

Stormraven is still 14 wounds. Toughness and save is 1 worse, but wouldn't the -1 to hit compensate for that? Their armaments are very similar as well. Crusader can get a bonus stormbolter, but otherwise it's multimelta vs the Stormstrike launchers.

Crusader wins the cool factor, but being able to dump 12 dudes and a Dread in charge range almost wherever I want on on Turn 2 seems big.

The crusader is noticeably tougher and holds more guys, which may matter for BTs with their big mixed squads. But you're right, the Raven puts out more offence and can carry a dread, which puts it ahead most of the time for me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

The jump from T7 to T8 is huge and the -1 to hit isn't as great as it seems. This is obviously anecdotal, but I've seen a stormraven shot out of the sky by two plague marine squads; their special weapons missed, but rapid-firing bolters were enough to knock it out. The land raider's 2+ save is also huge. It's pretty rare for a vehicle and it's still getting a 5+ even against lascannons.

Don't get me wrong, the stormraven is totally fine, but I think I prefer the LRC. Can't say for sure though as I don't have any first-hand experience. Dark Angels can't take stormravens. :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

The crusader is noticeably tougher and holds more guys, which may matter for BTs with their big mixed squads. But you're right, the Raven puts out more offence and can carry a dread, which puts it ahead most of the time for me.

I suppose saying who I want to carry might help any advice. I'm thinking of putting Helbrecht (or a captain), Emperor's champion, an Apothecary, and a Company Veteran squad. The rest of the capacity I'll fill with what fits. Maybe a Lieutenant or more veterans, or a small crusader squad if the space is available.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Speaking of big expensive units, I am on the cusp of ordering a Leviathan Dread, maybe 2. Anyone have experience playing with one or assembling it? Anything I should look out for?

I recommend the Raven over the Crusader for one simply reason, the raven won't be prevented from shooting if it gets charged.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be honest I'll probably end up owning both at some point. Especially if I get the Stormraven first. I got the BT upgrade kit and I wouldn't want the pretty Landraider doors to go to waste.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

To be honest I'll probably end up owning both at some point. Especially if I get the Stormraven first. I got the BT upgrade kit and I wouldn't want the pretty Landraider doors to go to waste.

Long term I'd say get both, but in the short term go for the rule of cool. They'd be pretty similar in how useful they are, and the landraider fits so much better for BT it's hard for me to seriously consider another alternative.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Speaking of big expensive units, I am on the cusp of ordering a Leviathan Dread, maybe 2. Anyone have experience playing with one or assembling it? Anything I should look out for?

I recommend the Raven over the Crusader for one simply reason, the raven won't be prevented from shooting if it gets charged.

Mine assembled really easily, and as far as playing with a melta Lance and siege drill it murders everything it sees. Easily my favorite model in my army. Almost a must take, but 360 points is a lot and it seems a bit too powerful.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I won a game tonight against CSM. I played like poo poo, but then he killed a Razorback and I used a CP to reroll the explosion dice. Got a 6 which:

Killed Kharn
Killed 5 Berzerkers
Killed my other Razorback
Put 3 wounds on Pedro
Put 2 wounds on my LT
Killed 2 Chaos bikes
Put 2 wounds on his Exalted Champ
Put 2 wounds on two of my Predators

It was the single most effective thing I did all game, although my Predator one-shotting a Knight was a close second.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I won a game tonight against CSM. I played like poo poo, but then he killed a Razorback and I used a CP to reroll the explosion dice. Got a 6 which:

Killed Kharn
Killed 5 Berzerkers
Put 3 wounds on Pedro
Put 2 wounds on my LT
Killed 2 Chaos bikes

It was the single most effective thing I did all game, although my Predator one-shotting a Knight was a close second.

I really enjoy how dangerous things like vehicles exploding or a psyker rolling perils are these days. I really, really enjoy that you can use a command point to re-roll that result so you don't feel like you lose a good chunk of your army to something that's basically out of your control.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Corrode posted:

Killed Kharn
Killed 5 Berzerkers
Put 3 wounds on Pedro
Put 2 wounds on my LT
Killed 2 Chaos bikes

A Good Example as to why putting characters in transports can be risky now.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If you're comparing the survivability of a Storm Raven vs a Land Raider, the fact that most units cannot assault a Storm Raven, and that it can fly away from things that can, and still shoot, is by FAR a bigger defensive boost for a Storm Raven than the -1 to hit. Mobility is also a pretty big help for getting out of range of dangerous things. A land raider moving out of melta range is probably going to find itself right back in melta range on the next turn, while the Storm Raven can get the hell away.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Safety Factor posted:

Mmm, I don't know. The contention was that the AdMech already had more stuff in the pipeline that was pushed back to make way for 8th.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DumbparameciuM posted:

A Good Example as to why putting characters in transports can be risky now.

Speaking of both this AND expensive units, I really want to use a unit of meganobz, but oh my god they're so slow, but like hell am I putting them in a trukk because that's a massive "SHOOT HERE" sign. But putting them in a wagon basically doubles their cost.

I just want to field some Ded 'Ard Lads :negative:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Booley posted:

Mine assembled really easily, and as far as playing with a melta Lance and siege drill it murders everything it sees. Easily my favorite model in my army. Almost a must take, but 360 points is a lot and it seems a bit too powerful.

Awesome, I was going to with double Grav flux or stormcannon since as Ultras it can step out of combat and just lay into people.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Speaking of both this AND expensive units, I really want to use a unit of meganobz, but oh my god they're so slow, but like hell am I putting them in a trukk because that's a massive "SHOOT HERE" sign. But putting them in a wagon basically doubles their cost.

I just want to field some Ded 'Ard Lads :negative:

Teleport them with a Weirdboy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Teleport them with a Weirdboy.

Teleport them with a Weirdboy surrounded by thirty other boyz. Boom, 3+ on 2d6 to cast!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Teleport them with a Weirdboy surrounded by thirty other boyz. Boom, 3+ on 2d6 to cast!

You just have to worry about blowing up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Floppychop posted:

Worrying is for grots.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Floppychop posted:

If you're worried, Orks might not be the army for you! Push da button :orks101:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I guess worry was the wrong word. I should have said plan on it blowing up.

If I had enough Grots I'd make a grot and weirdboy list. Mash them up front and use the grots to supercharge the weirdboys into doing a perils of the warp intentionally while they're in range of enemy units.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
OMG ADMECH CODEX! I'm so insanely over-stoked about this! I really won't be able to think about much else this month, because I have a stupid obsessive brain, even though I don't even play that much. Can anyone suggest any rumours (other than those old BOLS ones about new models) as to what might be in? No matter HOW spurious, ANY speculation at all is like mana to me right now

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Any idea when we're gonna get Xenos stuff? My Tyranid and Ork friends are itching for some real poo poo

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Any idea when we're gonna get Xenos stuff? My Tyranid and Ork friends are itching for some real poo poo

There's a Blood Angel book called "The Devasation of Baal" coming out in November detailing the fight against the Tyranids there. Bolter and Chainsword is pretty sure the BA codex will release somewhere near this, and it would make some sense to see the Tyranids alongside.

Obviously this is just conjecture.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I hope the Admech codex has some new HQs. It's a bit rough having just Cawl and the Dominus

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Endman posted:

I hope the Admech codex has some new HQs. It's a bit rough having just Cawl and the Dominus

Still hoping they make the Enginseer into a mini HQ, I grabbed and painted one just a while ago, love the model.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

!Klams posted:

OMG ADMECH CODEX! I'm so insanely over-stoked about this! I really won't be able to think about much else this month, because I have a stupid obsessive brain, even though I don't even play that much. Can anyone suggest any rumours (other than those old BOLS ones about new models) as to what might be in? No matter HOW spurious, ANY speculation at all is like mana to me right now

There's mounting evidence that AdMech will merge with the T'au and begin fielding their own battlesuits. They're described as sort of a mashup of the current XV-8s and the Kastelans.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also... get ready for this poo poo... TWO lances for the dragoons!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Weirdboyz have enough wounds that they can't die from their first peril. After that it's just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

I only care about having Cawl for them sweet, sweet re-rolls. My techpriest is just around to heal wounds on my 2nd Kastelan.