Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i love the flavor of walk the plank lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
should extend it to cephalids, fishes, serpents and others i'm forgetting

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Kurtofan posted:

should extend it to cephalids, fishes, serpents and others i'm forgetting

Yeah, I was about to ask, how can you make a fish walk the plank?

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Procrastinator posted:

Buy-a-Box promo

This flavor text isn't just inane, it is also impossible to parse. Fire all flavor text writers, use quotes from literature.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Tainen posted:

Laughing at the back to back posts evaluating a card with one saying it is "insane" and the other saying it is "loving atrocious". Card evaluation season is the best.

Whoops. I meant to add in 'art' there. The card is fine. The art is horrible.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rides Naked posted:

This flavor text isn't just inane, it is also impossible to parse. Fire all flavor text writers, use quotes from literature.

Wish granted. All flavor text now comes from old Magic novels.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Shadow225 posted:

Wish granted. All flavor text now comes from old Magic novels.

hoisted by my own petard.

Seriously though, just have Maro spew bad puns all over the cards again or something. I know he wrote for the bad seasons of Roseanne, but surely poo poo like that flavor text must embarrass him.

I actually want to compile all of the worst flavor text over the past few years. Something tells me most of them will be poor attempts to shoehorn "worldbuilding" into the 20 word limit text box on the bottom of an expensive piece of cardboard.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The world-building is fine, it's stuff where they try to sound bad rear end that always falls flat.

Zemyla posted:

Well, it kills them, so I would say not very well.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zemyla posted:

You put a fish on the gangplank. It asphyxiates before it can get to the water. Dead is dead, right

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Whoops. I meant to add in 'art' there. The card is fine. The art is horrible.

Lol ok I agree with you on the art. I'm theory this is the alternate art so it will be interesting to see what the actual art is. As for the card, I play almost exclusively limited and it seems like an easy first pick to me.

Edit: blurry version of regular art

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 22, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

didnt mercadian masques have cleric tribal and a fun draft format with a lot of on board tricks

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

didnt mercadian masques have cleric tribal and a fun draft format with a lot of on board tricks

Triple masques is ok. Masques block is awful.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

onslaught was the block with cleric tribal and i thought it was a pretty bad draft format but ymmv

people saying a set looks 'powered down' based on like 30 cards are just projecting their magic deathwish or w/e

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mcmagic posted:

It's bad as long as vehicles are a thing. I can't see this getting much play.

Not allowing you to make Vehicles walk the plank is a major oversight. I mean, the flavor is obvious.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

that's onslaught

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

we're not back in masques until they reprint Rishadan Port

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh hey wotc released one of those weird articles with graphical representations of combos. Let's take a look:

Oh the combo is literally "hey play cards that discount dragons with your dragons"? oh okay

(the other 3 are of similar quality)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm glad you've discovered the joys of Diego

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onslaught was a good format with the twin lumps of Sparksmith at common and brutal bombs making it into a not good format. It's sort of like how Khans got paired with Fate and then Khans sucked, but right out of the box.

The worst of those graphs is vampires. Cast vampires. Attack with them. Combo!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

magic deathwish

don't use my real name

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Zemyla posted:

It has to be a cedar plank for optimum flavor :discourse:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
The Something Awful Forms > Discussion > Something Offal > Magic: The Gathering: How can you make a fish walk the plank?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i lost my job and stopped following magic for a year and only just found out that they printed two nicol bolas in the same set, they're going back to dominaria, doing an un-set (with a sixth color?!) and bringing back core set?

what the gently caress happened while i was out

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
There is an incredible amount of bitching about the new tribal land. I think its the perfect kind of uncommon, especially for a land. Cavern of souls was a mistake.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

UberJew posted:

i lost my job and stopped following magic for a year and only just found out that they printed two nicol bolas in the same set, they're going back to dominaria, doing an un-set (with a sixth color?!) and bringing back core set?

You know how bad Bant Coco standard was?

It didn't get better for a while.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

There is an incredible amount of bitching about the new tribal land. I think its the perfect kind of uncommon, especially for a land. Cavern of souls was a mistake.

From who? Why? Who bitches about good cards being made?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

UberJew posted:

Wotc has been flailing. The two Nicol Bolas is just one intro deck one "real", they've done the same thing with Chandra and tezz and etc. Haven't heard about a sixth color but who knows

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks one million.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

From who? Why? Who bitches about good cards being made?

Even MTGS isn't bitching about this card and they bitch about everything.

I, for one, am hype as gently caress for being able to build all kinds of janky modern tribal decks for like 50 bucks since I don't need to buy caverns now. Caverns will still make them better, but budget is good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Wotc has been flailing. The two Nicol Bolas is just one intro deck one "real", they've done the same thing with Chandra and tezz and etc. Haven't heard about a sixth color but who knows

None of those things are signs of a company "flailing". The intro deck Nicol Bolas is a great way to get kids into the game with a guaranteed planeswalker, the Return to Dominaria is perfectly timed with their 25th anniversary, and the UnSet is a bold move that a company in panic mode shouldn't be doing. The return of core sets is the only "whoops, we hosed up" part of WotC's plans there. I don't think it's more shocking than FNM promos going away, small sets going away, and five cards being banned from Standard.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think it's more shocking than FNM promos going away, small sets going away, and five cards being banned from Standard.

whoa what

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

UberJew posted:

whoa what

They are trying to push competitive players to their "standard showdowns" on Saturday and Sunday's while making FNM more casual/beginner friendly. They they think they are going to accomplish this is by changing FNM promos from alternate art cards from standard sets to double sided Tokens. Showdowns get showdown packs which have 4 or 5 cards including a random foil rare or mythic, a regular rare or mythic and a full art land.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Looking forward to getting to use "Walk the dinosaur" as a regular description of gameplay.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

UberJew posted:

whoa what

Ixalan (the upcoming fall set) will get a small set called Rivals of Ixalan in January as usual, but that will be the last small set ever. after that it'll be 3 standalone large sets and a core set each year, with no fixed rules about how many sets the story spends on each world before moving along. basically they realized that most players prefer large sets and standalone limited formats and took that to its conclusion while giving the story/creative team more flexibility.

and yes there's currently 5 cards banned in standard, most of them the fault of Kaladesh block which broke Standard in several ways as per usual with artifact blocks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FNM promos being replaced by tokens is good, because you can't get foil tokens normally. Nearly every fnm promo before was a foil card from sets anyway, so what the heck?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FNM promos being replaced by tokens is good, because you can't get foil tokens normally. Nearly every fnm promo before was a foil card from sets anyway, so what the heck?

:siren:WOTC account spotted:siren:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BJPaskoff posted:

None of those things are signs of a company "flailing". The intro deck Nicol Bolas is a great way to get kids into the game with a guaranteed planeswalker, the Return to Dominaria is perfectly timed with their 25th anniversary, and the UnSet is a bold move that a company in panic mode shouldn't be doing. The return of core sets is the only "whoops, we hosed up" part of WotC's plans there. I don't think it's more shocking than FNM promos going away, small sets going away, and five cards being banned from Standard.

I wouldn't call core sets returning as "whoops, we hosed up" so much as "an experiment that didn't work." There's a big difference between the two and I think it was worth trying. It's also a completely different set release strategy to bring them back for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It was impossible to make FNM promos something people wanted. Tokens are a serious upgrade.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tales of Woe posted:

Ixalan (the upcoming fall set) will get a small set called Rivals of Ixalan in January as usual, but that will be the last small set ever. after that it'll be 3 standalone large sets and a core set each year, with no fixed rules about how many sets the story spends on each world before moving along. basically they realized that most players prefer large sets and standalone limited formats and took that to its conclusion while giving the story/creative team more flexibility.

and yes there's currently 5 cards banned in standard, most of them the fault of Kaladesh block which broke Standard in several ways as per usual with artifact blocks.

moving away from fixed rules is a really good move, probably because i started playing regularly with theros i always go back to that block as like the perfect example of a great set that just got worse with each release

also im an idiot moron who is going to have to come back to prerelease an unset since i missed the originals and really enjoyed the conspiracy draft format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
now that we got large sets all day erry day what's the size of standard gonna be like compared to TSP/LOR