Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ripoff posted:

does an egpu accelerate the screen of the laptop/desktop in a target display mode over thunderbolt 3 or does it only accelerate external monitors connected directly to the gpu through hdmi or displayport or w/e?

either way it's a neat technology, but it'd be cool as gently caress to smash together a 5k imac with a huge gpu and have a poor man's imac pro

on Windows laptops the egpu will help the built in display with some performance loss compared to an external but OSX doesn't support it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:siren:rear touch id confirmed:siren:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"4K HDMI(30Hz)" wtf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yo dog, 60hz 4k with full colour space is some dark magic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that

wow

that is

i'm speechless

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it's not too unusual; the real fuckery are all the 4kp60 that it turns out don't support hdr or hdmi 2.0a

i wonder how many people out there have hdmi switches and never realize they don't have hdr on

ufarn fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 23, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm trying to find an hdmi switch that supports hdr and can understand/pass cec signals and as far as I can tell it would be easier to find an actual unicorn

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

infernal machines posted:

wow that looks like a really awkward location to touch

can't wait to watch smug upgraders trying to unlock their phones and dropping them awkwardly and crying over the shattered remains of the screen

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

timb you dumbASS PIECE OF poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGwr8FTVOh4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

countdown until someone realizes this doesn't show poo poo

but, yeah, it's probs true

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

iphone se 2 cant come fast enough

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

wait

what do you touch though, there's nothing indicating where the touch id is

is the touch id just the entire back of the phone???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's the apple logo, duh

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

it's the apple logo, duh

ugh if this is true

just uuuuuugh

why timb? you took away the headphone jack and now you're gonna make touch id a bitch to use???

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the apple logo is now laptop size

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

while still dumb as heck that'd be p baller if they made the apple logo the touch id sensor

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

probs a way to maintain feature parity if they go the face id route, as well as open up multi auth security

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Agile Vector posted:

the apple logo is now laptop size

it doesn't look any bigger

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

while still dumb as heck that'd be p baller if they made the apple logo the touch id sensor

Would this require the fabrication of apple logo-shaped senors or just the glass with a (square? rectangular? not an EE) sensor behind it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

My Linux Rig posted:

it doesn't look any bigger

Don't sign your posts with your GF's reaction to seeing you tumesce for the first time, please.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I'm trying to find an hdmi switch that supports hdr and can understand/pass cec signals and as far as I can tell it would be easier to find an actual unicorn

you pretty much need a surround sound receiver for that, its hosed that there are only like 6 companies that can make a box that supports hdr 4K or Dolby atmos/dts x

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Don't sign your posts with your GF's reaction to seeing you tumesce for the first time, please.

sounds like you're really "reaching" with this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no one has ever made a sick burn using the word tumesce

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

you pretty much need a surround sound receiver for that, its hosed that there are only like 6 companies that can make a box that supports hdr 4K or Dolby atmos/dts x

no I'm forever doomed since like half the speakers I'm looking at are 4 ohms so there's barely any $1500+ receivers that can handle that

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

iphone se 2 cant come fast enough

it's gunna be iphone 7s guts in the iphone 6 body

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol wrong thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

philanderer 2: the wrath of court ordered support increases

wrong thread

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haha whoops

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

no one has ever made a sick burn using the word tumesce

idk I thought that was a pretty good burn :shrug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's gunna be iphone 7s guts in the iphone 6 body

:sigh: :smithicide:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Apple logo being Touch ID is actually genius if it works fine

think different, idiots

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

think different, idiots

okay *moves front door doorknob to the middle of the door*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

My Linux Rig posted:

okay *moves front door doorknob to the middle of the door*

Worksforme, wontfix.

:shrug:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

akadajet posted:

"4K HDMI(30Hz)" wtf

Apple's official $70 USB-C dongle with HDMI-out also only has this.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

emoji posted:

Apple's official $70 USB-C dongle with HDMI-out also only has this.

in what universe is 30hz acceptable for displays?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in the one where you're primarily dealing with static documents and/or broadcast video

if you don't need sick2nasty 360 noscope headshots it's basically functional for real work

i'm not trying to defend it, they're doing that because it's stupid expensive to get something that does 60hz 4k in full RGB colour. for the average use case it's not going to matter if it's not 60hz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's basically functional for real work

bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what do you do that requires your screen to update 60 times a second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what do you do that requires your screen to update 60 times a second?

moving my mouse around. scrolling webpages and stuff. 30hz would look like a slide show

• Locked thread