Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yes everyone over the age of 30 who pays attentions to politics is a nihilist, which is why you identify as a centrist incrementalist

really putting together some barn burner ideas here, got any hot takes to enlighten us with today? preferable without turning into a "you'll miss me when the nazis are here" gigantic baby like you'd do anything other than collect a paycheck from one

What, I can't be a nihilist centrist?

Hell, according to you I can be a nihilist centrist Nazi.

It's hard to keep track of all the things you guys tell me I believe.

Please make sure the bucket of blood you guys drown me in is properly labeled with my title and beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's not that you're a nazi, but that you're exacerbating their creation because you believe in nothing.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hell, according to you I can be a nihilist centrist Nazi.

I never called you a Nazi you reflexive dork. At least Nazi's stand for something.

quote:

It's hard to keep track of all the things you guys tell me I believe.
You literally called yourself a centrist incrementalist. It doesn't get any more real than that. Edit your post and bend the knee if you want to stop being lambasted for admitting you're an idiot.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It takes an election cycle or two for this place to turn you into one, but it is inevitable. I was an idealistic leftist in 2004 when I could first vote. I had become a dirty incrementalist centrist by the end of Obama's terms. Beware the slippery slope!

i was an idealistic leftist too. i still am, i just realize the dems never had my interests at heart. maybe they will start soon since they are losing everywhere and everything and are about to go the way of the whigs

also, lol that your lesson from the wet fart that was obama's presidency is to slide rightwards

edit: i seriously don't understand how you could abandon your idealism. do you not want to improve this world anymore? black people can't wait 100+ years for dems to address police murdering them in the streets. people can't wait another 100 years for single payer healthcare considering how the "incrementalist" steps towards improving healthcare have broken the system completely

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 22, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I never called you a Nazi you reflexive dork. At least Nazi's stand for something.

You literally called yourself a centrist incrementalist. It doesn't get any more real than that. Edit your post and bend the knee if you want to stop being lambasted for admitting you're an idiot.

Lol "bend the knee"

You guys aren't self aware enough to see how ridiculous you are.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:ironicat:

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Condiv posted:

i was an idealistic leftist too. i still am, i just realize the dems never had my interests at heart. maybe they will start soon since they are losing everywhere and everything and are about to go the way of the whigs

also, lol that your lesson from the wet fart that was obama's presidency is to slide rightwards

edit: i seriously don't understand how you could abandon your idealism. do you not want to improve this world anymore? black people can't wait 100+ years for dems to address police murdering them in the streets. people can't wait another 100 years for single payer healthcare considering how the "incrementalist" steps towards improving healthcare have broken the system completely

Because they're comfortable and don't actually care.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ehh, I said you end up being a nihilist. Not a centrist. I'm not wrong.

ah, i see. you're a nihilist. you didn't have what it takes to keep pushing after having your hopes crushed by obama, so you smugly talk down to people who still give a drat

guess what? obama crushed my hopes in him too. that doesn't mean i'm gonna stop hoping that this world improves for everyone, and that the rich who believe they are god's gift to the idiotic masses get their assets seized and redistributed to those more worthy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Bernie Sanders is a cool guy who should have on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dizz posted:

Bernie Sanders is a cool guy who should have on

and he will win this time.

i hope 2020 will be either bernie/keith or keith/turner

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

the left in America literally doesn't exist

90% of the people in this thread are registered Democrats who gladly voted for Hillary against the evil Donald Trump because they've deluded themselves into thinking either party represents anything but the interests of the ultrawealthy

a big part of the problem is that there's a pervasive idea in American politics that the parties are distinct entities and not two tendrils of the same beast. the entire idea of reforming the Democratic party from within is a comedy and completely fails to understand how politics works

Wow it's almost like the absolute shitshoe that was 2016 has caused the left to grow as people realize the Dems are poo poo and this post is bad and dumb

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I would be fine with incrementalism as a concept if it did what it said on the tin. Like, voting Bernie should be what is defined as incrementalist. Voting Hillary was basically just a vote to stand in loving place and do nothing. Democrats are just about not loving up poo poo worse instead of fixing the lovely hosed up stuff. It gets incredibly frustrating to constantly be asked to morally compromise within our politics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

ah, i see. you're a nihilist. you didn't have what it takes to keep pushing after having your hopes crushed by obama, so you smugly talk down to people who still give a drat

guess what? obama crushed my hopes in him too. that doesn't mean i'm gonna stop hoping that this world improves for everyone, and that the rich who believe they are god's gift to the idiotic masses get their assets seized and redistributed to those more worthy.

This but also I want to inject Peter thiels blood into my balls to stay young, preferably fresh from his spurting neck stump on the guillotine

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wow it's almost like the absolute shitshoe that was 2016 has caused the left to grow as people realize the Dems are poo poo and this post is bad and dumb

the left isn't growing the overton window is just moving right

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

the left isn't growing the overton window is just moving right

This is some retarded rear end poo poo

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Lol "bend the knee"

This is the heart of it. You've decided that people who want to create actual change in the world are delusional morons. You've given up and you're mad that other people haven't given up too because it makes you feel guilty.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The left isn't growing you're all secretly democrats says a guy to a bunch of people who made a thread about making GBS threads on Dems for being garbage who aren't actually left comma as he shits his diaper

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This is some retarded rear end poo poo

Reminder that the largest political protest in world history was the anti-Iraq war protests in 2003. Got us jack poo poo when Obama took the reigns in 2008.

Democrats aren't even anti-war any more, hell, I hear plenty of leftists calling for more bloodshed and intervention.

What does "moving left" look like? 25,000 DSA members? 250,000? there are like 350 million americans. Good luck.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The left isn't growing you're all secretly democrats says a guy to a bunch of people who made a thread about making GBS threads on Dems for being garbage who aren't actually left comma as he shits his diaper

lmao everyone in this thread has been posting here for years. yeah, there's a small group of vocal upper middle class forums posters who have become more emboldened by the failure of Hillary Clinton. That says nothing about Americans as a whole.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Condiv posted:

and he will win this time.

i hope 2020 will be either bernie/keith or keith/turner

I'm thinking that he won't run again unless he explicitly said he is, He'd still most likely get robbed again this time thanks to Mark "I'm not running for president" Zuckerberg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

yeah, there's a small group of vocal upper middle class forums posters who have become more emboldened by the failure of Hillary Clinton. That says nothing about Americans as a whole.

Speak for yourself, bougie scum, I'm working class as gently caress.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Speak for yourself, bougie scum, I'm working class as gently caress.

good for you, did you become a leftist in 2016 or have you identified as so for a while?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

Reminder that the largest political protest in world history was the anti-Iraq war protests in 2003. Got us jack poo poo when Obama took the reigns in 2008.

cool that means exactly gently caress all in 2017 after an election that left a whole lot of people disillusioned as to whether they were represented in government or not

NewForumSoftware posted:

lmao everyone in this thread has been posting here for years. yeah, there's a small group of vocal upper middle class forums posters who have become more emboldened by the failure of Hillary Clinton. That says nothing about Americans as a whole.

drop dead, rear end in a top hat, i work two minimum wage jobs to keep my head above water

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

The nihilism comment was more about how American politics can destroy anyone's beliefs. I don't adhere to nihilism as an ideology.

Obama didn't crush my hopes and dreams. He governed exactly as he campaigned, as a centrist. Only ideologues and idiots ever saw him as some really far left politician. it's like some of you fell for the GOP talking points about him. I would gladly have voted for Obama for a third term. I liked Bernie, and voted for him in the california primary, but he lost. SO I voted for HRC knowing she would be infinitely better than the alternative.

On the other hand, I've always talked down to smug leftists.

Jizz Festival posted:

This is the heart of it. You've decided that people who want to create actual change in the world are delusional morons. You've given up and you're mad that other people haven't given up too because it makes you feel guilty.

No, I haven't given up anything. I will continue to advocate for policies that improve people's lives, and vote for people that advocate those policies. What I won't do is trot out leftist platitudes that will never see a vote, and expect the country to vote for me. We should start with improving things instead of burning them down and rebuilding. THere is never a guarantee that what you build next will be half as good as what we have. TO take what we have for granted without understanding what was fought for and sacrificed by those that came before you his pretty hubristic.

I also don't think that the "left" will ever hold a majority in congress with the beliefs and messaging that you guys use. I agree with your positions pretty much 90-100%, but since i am not pure i should be drowned in a pool of my own blood. Maybe you'll find more common ground with the Nazis.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

NewForumSoftware posted:

Democrats aren't even anti-war any more, hell, I hear plenty of leftists calling for more bloodshed and intervention.

What does "moving left" look like? 25,000 DSA members? 250,000? there are like 350 million americans. Good luck.

Why are you so annoying? What point are you even trying to make with this post?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

cool that means exactly gently caress all in 2017 after an election that left a whole lot of people disillusioned as to whether they were represented in government or not

Do you not think this happens every single time a Republican wins?

quote:

drop dead, rear end in a top hat, i work two minimum wage jobs to keep my head above water

Did you become a leftist in 2016?

Is it even remotely possible to you all that the left isn't growing but the internet is enabling them to organize more effectively?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

good for you, did you become a leftist in 2016 or have you identified as so for a while?

First off, why the gently caress does that matter?

Secondly, I've always been in favor of things like higher minimum wage and single payer, I was very upset with Obama not pushing for a public option with the ACA. I actually protest voted for Stein in 2012 since I was in CA, which I now regret since she's exposed herself as a total loon.

Just cause I lived in FL for 2016 and was pragmatic with my vote doesn't make me a centrist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

speaking for myself 2016 was when i realized there was a difference between what i wanted and what the democrat party wanted and started identifying as a leftist to distinguish my beliefs from their center right drivel

but dont let that stop you from calling me a middle class bougie gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

Do you not think this happens every single time a Republican wins?

Did you become a leftist in 2016?

Is it even remotely possible to you all that the left isn't growing but the internet is enabling them to organize more effectively?

i cant imagine that eight years of wet fart under obama had anything at all to do with this either, god no, perish the thought

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No, I haven't given up anything. I will continue to advocate for policies that improve people's lives, and vote for people that advocate those policies. What I won't do is trot out leftist platitudes that will never see a vote, and expect the country to vote for me. We should start with improving things instead of burning them down and rebuilding. THere is never a guarantee that what you build next will be half as good as what we have. TO take what we have for granted without understanding what was fought for and sacrificed by those that came before you his pretty hubristic.

I also don't think that the "left" will ever hold a majority in congress with the beliefs and messaging that you guys use. I agree with your positions pretty much 90-100%, but since i am not pure i should be drowned in a pool of my own blood. Maybe you'll find more common ground with the Nazis.

Complete bullshit. You've got your comfortable life and you don't want to rock that boat. Everything else, especially your weird full-throated defense of capitalism, flows from that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The nihilism comment was more about how American politics can destroy anyone's beliefs. I don't adhere to nihilism as an ideology.

Obama didn't crush my hopes and dreams. He governed exactly as he campaigned, as a centrist. Only ideologues and idiots ever saw him as some really far left politician. it's like some of you fell for the GOP talking points about him. I would gladly have voted for Obama for a third term. I liked Bernie, and voted for him in the california primary, but he lost. SO I voted for HRC knowing she would be infinitely better than the alternative.

On the other hand, I've always talked down to smug leftists.

lol your hollow-rear end beliefs as manifest in your hollow-rear end candidate managed to lose to Donald loving Trump.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

First off, why the gently caress does that matter?

It matters because for all of the "the left is growing!" I don't see much evidence of out outside of twitter and forums posts. There is better political engagement on the left compared to during Obama's term, but the same was true when GWB was in office.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i cant imagine that eight years of wet fart under obama had anything at all to do with this either, god no, perish the thought

If you think Obama was bad, check out Clinton's presidency in the 90s.

Jizz Festival posted:

Why are you so annoying? What point are you even trying to make with this post?

That the left isn't growing and it's largely the same people shouting into the void as it's always been. The fairweather leftists will gladly defect come Harris/Booker and we'll be looking at Obama 2.0 in no time. There is no hope, hope is a lie.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 22, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

It matters because for all of the "the left is growing!" I don't see much evidence of out outside of twitter and forums posts. There is better political engagement on the left compared to during Obama's term, but the same was true when GWB was in office.

Did you miss the entire Dem primary? The one where some unknown socialist from Vermont almost beat household name Hillary Clinton?

Doesn't that point to growing leftism in America?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

If you think Obama was bad, check out Clinton's presidency in the 90s.

literally has nothing to do with what i said

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Did you miss the entire Dem primary? The one where some unknown socialist from Vermont almost beat household name Hillary Clinton?

Doesn't that point to growing leftism in America?

No it points to the Democrats running literally the worst candidate in the past 70 years and expecting to win because the other guy was "worse" (at being a person, much better politician)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

Complete bullshit. You've got your comfortable life and you don't want to rock that boat. Everything else, especially your weird full-throated defense of capitalism, flows from that.

Yes, my paycheck to paycheck lifestyle and working 60 hours a week is sooooo comfortable.

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol your hollow-rear end beliefs as manifest in your hollow-rear end candidate managed to lose to Donald loving Trump.

I'm perfectly fine with my beliefs, and will gladly continue having them.

You guys are much better at eating yourselves than you are the rich.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm perfectly fine with my beliefs, and will gladly continue having them.

You seem quite fine with losing to the very worst candidate that the GOP could scrounge up, yes.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, my paycheck to paycheck lifestyle and working 60 hours a week is sooooo comfortable.

If this is truly your situation, then the appeal of leftist ideas should be obvious, and I'm left wondering why you think they wouldn't be popular.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol your hollow rear end

if ur rear end is hollow see a doctor

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

If this is truly your situation, then the appeal of leftist ideas should be obvious, and I'm left wondering why you think they wouldn't be popular.

Because you idiots couldn't agree with someone that holds 99% of your values, and gladly advocated for my death? You think you're going to convince people that don't agree with you? You do know you need a majority to win an election right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm just wondering how out of touch you have to be to think that the whole "nobody will vote for leftist ideas" scaremongering will still work after the centrists have blown it as hard as humanly possible.

• Locked thread