Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

If I remember correctly, Frozen didn't do very well it's first week. It almost looked like it was gonna flop. Then word of mouth spread and it just blew up. Kinda like Titanic in the 90s.

The graph of Frozen's box office is really weird:

If you look carefully at the start it actually sits at roughly zero for the first couple of days because it was only playing on one screen, then it EXPLODES when it reaches wide releases on the second weekend, then it calms down for two weeks before EXPLODING once again.

Oh and as far as they can tell it's also sold the most blu-rays out of any film in history, currently sitting at 7.5 million sales which is roughly 50% more than The Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

New Ducktales must be insanely expensive to produce, judging by the VO cast.

The most famous and in-demand person involved is probably Lin-Manuel Miranda and he's playing a side character, everyone else is just varying degrees of cult TV comedians and character actors.

Though considering how much of the Big Hero 6 cast is being replaced by soundalikes in the upcoming TV show it's still above a lot of its peers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

New Ducktales must be insanely expensive to produce, judging by the VO cast.

Really Tennant's the only one with any real clout, the rest of the cast is pretty much culled from various NBC shows.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Tennant and Miranda are the only real household names in the cast, and they're both still have somewhat niche appeal - sci-fi geeks for Tennant and broadway fans for Miranda.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Ducktales I rewatched the movie recently. Did they run out of budget early on or something? In some scenes the animation quality takes a step up (with shading and the like) and then the rest of the film suddenly drops back down to looking like the TV show if not worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Animation an budgeting are two very discrete skill sets.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Ducktales I rewatched the movie recently. Did they run out of budget early on or something? In some scenes the animation quality takes a step up (with shading and the like) and then the rest of the film suddenly drops back down to looking like the TV show if not worse.

iirc it was originally meant to be a TV movie, but somebody decided to bump it up for theatrical release for some reason.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

iirc it was originally meant to be a TV movie, but somebody decided to bump it up for theatrical release for some reason.

That makes sense, still not a bad film despite its poor reception though (and also apparently canon as I believe a character or two from the movie pops up again later in the series proper).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, 5 minutes into Ducktales and we've already had both Darkwing Duck, and Tailspin refs. Nice.

Still can't understand Donald though. :sigh:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

not gonna lie, I ended up turning on the subtitles because of Donald, there's points where it's clear he's supposed to be borderline incoherent, but the parts he's not it's still difficult except where he was very icy towards Scrooge when dropping off the kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Presuming they don't release the episodes so far apart that one forgets, regular viewers will probably get the hang of understanding Donald eventually.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Since Gene Deitch's The Hobbit went over so well here, here's some posts I've made about some of his storybook animations re: animated adaptations of Maurice Sendak's books:

K. Waste posted:

Actually no, I take that back - since we're talking Gene Deitch, YTotD is another VHS gem from my childhood (and I hope yours as well), The Maurice Sendak Library https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHdC_Ox3M94

Some audio gaps unfortunately, but what you have here is a VHS comp of animated adaptations of Maurice Sendak's children's literature:

- The first segment is re-edited from a 1975 TV special Really Rosie directed by Sendak himself with music and singing by Carole King, adapted from their musical of the same name, which in turn was adapted from Sendak's Nutshell Library series of books. You can find that whole video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbrQ5wNDPo

- The second is a 1988 re-dubbing and re-score of none other than Gene Deitch's own adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are (1973). Unfortunately, I can't track down the original version, but the one we have is some powerful poo poo, anyway. Seriously, check it out.

- The third is another Deitch adaptation from 1987, this time the incredibly dreamy and funky In the Night Kitchen

It's all dope.

K. Waste posted:

I FOUND A VERY LOW QUALITY TRANSFER OF THE ORIGINAL 1975 WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE ON GENE DEITCH'S BLOG!

https://genedeitchcredits.com/roll-the-credits/61-maurice-sendak/

YES GENE DEITCH HAS A BLOG!

edit: RE: Deitch and Tom & Jerry - I get that they're nobody's favorite T&J cartoons, but I have no problem with them strictly because T&J cartoons in general are pretty dire and boring.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Presuming they don't release the episodes so far apart that one forgets, regular viewers will probably get the hang of understanding Donald eventually.

that or like with other characters, they'll tone down the Quackness of the lines that are suppose to be coherent. I did find it kind of cute the way Donald vocalizes his actions - like his "bap" "bap" when he tried to stable his resume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh ha, Ducktales uses a tiny bit (or at least a very good soundalike) of the appropriate soundtrack when they find Atlantis.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

K. Waste posted:

Since Gene Deitch's The Hobbit went over so well here, here's some posts I've made about some of his storybook animations re: animated adaptations of Maurice Sendak's books:

edit: RE: Deitch and Tom & Jerry - I get that they're nobody's favorite T&J cartoons, but I have no problem with them strictly because T&J cartoons in general are pretty dire and boring.

WTF at Night Kitchen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say that there's one Deitch T&J, the "Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" one, that I actually really, really like. It's crudely animated like the other Deitch shorts, but the meta joke it relies on is fantastic.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

WTF at Night Kitchen

Night Kitchen is dope as hell, and the score(s) for Where the Wild Things Are is(are) just beyond dope.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, 5 minutes into Ducktales and we've already had both Darkwing Duck, and Tailspin refs. Nice.

Still can't understand Donald though. :sigh:

After watching King of the Hill for so many years I just think of Donald's incoherent speech like I do with Boomhauer. They both are coherent to the other characters in the show and that's a big part of the joke, I find both to be coherent enough at the right times when you absolutely need to understand what they are saying.

Though, I dunno, lots of people couldn't understand Bane because of the accent Tom Hardy was putting on mixed with whatever post-processing they were doing.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/22/revoltech-brings-famous-expressiveness-to-zootopia-judy-hopps-figure

Yikes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
watched Belladonna of Sadness last night. What a beautiful film, great soundtrack too. The Japanese and French really seem to be able to get more out of the medium than what comes out of America.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Revolt-ecch!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, I think it's a remarkably on-model little figma they've got there, and I kinda wanna buy one.

(Even if Sultry Judy is going to inevitably get paired up with Creepy Woody and uuugh)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, I think it's a remarkably on-model little figma they've got there, and I kinda wanna buy one.

(Even if Sultry Judy is going to inevitably get paired up with Creepy Woody and uuugh)

No Nick figurine? Hard pass.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Same but (insert any feline character)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LeJackal posted:

The Nick figure is coming next year, last I checked.

Someone even showed his figure in this thread.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes, the Nick figure's already got his sculpt more or less finalized, but not his paint job, AFAIK.

You can see what they've got here, the images from which I've reuploaded to embed in this thread below (even though I think the smaller one's just a crop of the larger one).

(And yeah, I kinda want the Nick figma more, but this is the order they're releasing 'em in, what can ya do?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

starkebn posted:

watched Belladonna of Sadness last night. What a beautiful film, great soundtrack too. The Japanese and French really seem to be able to get more out of the medium than what comes out of America.

The problem is that animation in America is either for kids, or extremely vulgar comedies. The Japanese and French can get more out of the medium because they actually want to, whereas American audiences largely see getting more out of the medium as an absurd waste of time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shadow Hog posted:

How many hundreds of dollars is it gonna be, though?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

I think most revoltech figures are around $20-40.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

I think most revoltech figures are around $20-40.

:eyepop::monocle::pirate::swoon::wth:

From what I can see, the figure is about $70, which, while still enough to give me pause, is insane for such a nice looking toy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Judy's only about $58 USD.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-032634&rank=

If you order from there (a site a friend's used), it's about $45 USD.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It would really shine with a proper repaint, like my Burgerking Rattlensake Jake :toot:.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem is that animation in America is either for kids, or extremely vulgar comedies. The Japanese and French can get more out of the medium because they actually want to, whereas American audiences largely see getting more out of the medium as an absurd waste of time.

yes, I agree

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Only the french have the sensitivity and care required to create artful masterpieces like that pixel art music video that ends in a graphic rape

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Almost all of the most-watched animation in Japan and France are vulgar comedies and/or for children. Just because only the criticially-acclaimed and/or niche products are the only ones to get attention in America doesn't mean that's the only thing they make or that they're the most popular in their home countries.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
All around, '73 was a really good year for animation all over the world: Fantastic Planet, Belladonna of Sadness, Heavy Traffic, Maugli/The Adventures of Mowgli (technically a compilation of shorts), The Family That Dwelt Apart.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

Only the french have the sensitivity and care required to create artful masterpieces like that pixel art music video that ends in a graphic rape

Guy Mann posted:

Almost all of the most-watched animation in Japan and France are vulgar comedies and/or for children. Just because only the criticially-acclaimed and/or niche products are the only ones to get attention in America doesn't mean that's the only thing they make or that they're the most popular in their home countries.

people in here getting offended by something that wasn't said

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

starkebn posted:

people in here getting offended by something that wasn't said

I mean no? :confused:

Poster said France and Japan want to get more out of the medium. Two posters replied, one with a specific example, clearly stating that the audiences of both countries engage in the kind of behavior the original poster is saying only the US does.

And it's mildly appropriate you're complaining about getting offended when your avatar is the perfect example of vulgar, crass humor that French audiences are supposedly averse to. A duck that's literally a meme because internet nerds got mad that it got in the way of their underage tits and rear end for scenes that are blatantly written as a sex tease.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Neither what I said or what the other poster said had anything to do with France or Japan not having crass poo poo they output.

It has to do with American not bothering to occasionally rise above that. I guess Kubo comes close if you count it, but when was the last American Ernest & Celestine / The Illusionist / Red Turtle / Ghibli-like movie / Book of Kells / Song of the Sea / etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

It may not be the most popular stuff coming out of those countries, but at least artsy stuff for adults comes out of those countries, period. I'm trying to think of analogous stuff from America and I'm pretty much just coming up with Bakshi's work, Heavy Metal (and 2000 I guess), some of Hertzfeldt's stuff (but not all), Aeon Flux, and Anomalisa; artsy, adult-oriented animation just isn't a thing we make, typically, because the audience for it in the USA is small at best.