Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
1080 video on YouTube looks like rear end on my phone now.

Next step will be a $5/month surcharge to even access YouTube. Thanks Pai!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 22, 2017

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Looks like it's time to finally switch to T-Mobile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never watch videos beyond a Youtube here and there on my phone so :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah this sucks but I can’t think of it affecting me for more than an hour or two a year.

Also look at the chart at the bottom of the linked article. It seems that a two-line plan is getting screwed.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tonic posted:

You know that T-Mobile is largely the reason why this is happening in the first place, right?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

tonic posted:

Doesn't T-Mobile throttle video on all of their plans as well?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
glad I'm still basically paying nothing for my 30 gb more everything plan

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Doesn't T-Mobile throttle video on all of their plans as well?

You used to be able to turn it off on T-Mobile? Is that not true anymore?

Also, T-Mobile is $20-30 cheaper for a comparable plan now. Verizon's network is no longer good enough for that much of a premium.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A single T-Mobile One line is $70.

A single Verizon Unlimited is $75.

Obviously this changes with multiple lines, but that doesn't apply to me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
75 plus taxes and fees, but those aren’t gonna be $15-$25 on one line.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

A single T-Mobile One line is $70.

A single Verizon Unlimited is $75.

Obviously this changes with multiple lines, but that doesn't apply to me.

The Go Unlimited can be "throttled at any time" due to network congestion. It's $85 if you want to avoid throttling until 22GB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

16 year Verizon customer here and I dropped them on my way home from work and went T-Mobile with the One+ plan.

It wasn't about money (I get 100% reimbursed by work), it wasn't really even about the video streaming since I don't do it too often.

It was about finally being fed up. The bald face anti-consumer slap in the face that I'm just so completely tired of. It's all the lesser of the evils, but time and time again Verizon has proved themselves that they aren't even interested in what perception they put out.

This was just a final straw moment.

I have an unlocked Pixel that I own outright. Verizon has given me no reason at all to stay loyal. Time to play carrier tourist.

One thing is for sure, Verizon postpaid is as the very very very bottom of the list now.

So far so good with the switch. I was in and out of the store with functioning service on my number in 15 minutes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah this sucks but I can’t think of it affecting me for more than an hour or two a year.

Also look at the chart at the bottom of the linked article. It seems that a two-line plan is getting screwed.

Yeah, I very rarely watch video on my phone, to me it's def more the principal on data throttling. Not a big fan.

triple sulk posted:

You know that T-Mobile is largely the reason why this is happening in the first place, right?

This, but really:

Three-Phase posted:

Next step will be a $5/month surcharge to even access YouTube. Thanks Pai!

It's this. gently caress Pai and the current administration.

I started looking through the plans today, really the two big kickers are:

1. You really get pushed to do auto pay with checking account on family plans. $5 a line more if you don't (similar to T-Mobile).
2. The lower plan is cheaper than the current unlimited and obviously a good chunk cheaper than the new beyond everything plan. Most customers still just don't tether and use their phone for messaging, Facebook and candy crush. Maybe pandora and some YouTube now. The cheaper unlimited plan is going to be super popular and for better or worse most people won't notice the difference.

The plans at least still allow up to 10 devices, so 5+ family plans are still pretty good (but you basically have to do autopay).

I hate autopay. Thankfully I have the prior unlimited plan so I'll just be clutching onto that for the foreseeable future.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

These plans are also substantially more expensive than the "old" (from 6 months ago) unlimited plan, no?

It used to be $100 base access then $20 per line. So two lines was $140, three $160, four $180. For ten it is $300.

That chart says that for Beyond, two lines is $160, three lines is $180, and four is $200. Ten would be an egregious $500?!

Without autopay you were penalized a flat $10 in the old plan, but for this one it is $5 per line. So after two lines this is also way worse. For ten lines the old (6 whole months) plan would have been $310, but this one would be $550.

This is insane, right? Am I missing something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even Qualcomm was throwing shade at Verizon today.

https://twitter.com/sherifhanna/status/899998155135107073

Likely because you don't need a fancy SD960 with a gigabit LTE connection when you're limited to 720p video.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

These plans are also substantially more expensive than the "old" (from 6 months ago) unlimited plan, no?

It used to be $100 base access then $20 per line. So two lines was $140, three $160, four $180. For ten it is $300.

That chart says that for Beyond, two lines is $160, three lines is $180, and four is $200. Ten would be an egregious $500?!
Not sure how you’re calculating that. Seems pretty clear from those numbers it’s still $20/device, but the data fee went from $100 to $120 for beyond.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And AutoPay greatly decreases the customer's ability to know how/what they're being charged for without them scrutinizing every line every time the bill is tendered. And by that point, Verizon already has their money, which means it becomes a lengthy process for the consumer to prove that they're being overcharged, while being given the run-around from department to department in the hopes they'll just give up and take it like a bitch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's not true at all. They send you the bill email two weeks prior to the autocharge and the email itself tells you the charge. That's plenty of time to stop an autocharge if there's an issue and get it fixed before paying.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

That's not true at all. They send you the bill email two weeks prior to the autocharge and the email itself tells you the charge. That's plenty of time to stop an autocharge if there's an issue and get it fixed before paying.

Well, I haven't ever signed up for paperless/autobill (still send them a check except in cases where I'm worried it won't make it in time), so that's nice to know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't really have an issue with auto-pay, but I don't like being forced to use a checking account to get the discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

Without autopay you were penalized a flat $10 in the old plan, but for this one it is $5 per line. So after two lines this is also way worse. For ten lines the old (6 whole months) plan would have been $310, but this one would be $550.

This is insane, right? Am I missing something?

Bear in mind I'm still learning the quirks of the new plans, but here's the simple answer.

Old Verizon plan:
Base: $100 with auto pay ($110 without). Single base is $60.
Per line cost: $20
1 line: $80 ($85 no autopay)
2 lines: $140 ($150 no autopay
3: $160 ($170 no autopay)
4: $180 ($190 no autopay)

New unlimited :
Base: no base, just per line cost depending on how many lines. All plans $5 more per line without autopay
1 line: $75 ($80 no autopay)
2 lines: $65 * 2 = $130 ($140 no autopay)
3 lines: $50 * 3 = $150 ($165 no autopay)
4 lines: $40 * 4 = $160 ($180 no autopay)

New unlimited beyond
1 line: $85 ($90 no autopay)
2 lines: $160 ($170 no autopay)
3 lines: $180 ($195 no autopay)
4 lines: $200 ($220 no autopay)

Yeah, holy poo poo, writing out the beyond plans makes them look really bad. Everything Verizon does they do for a reason. I can tell you right now if someone wants a hotspot, sales 101 I would tell do 4 lines cheaper unlimited, get a separate jetpack as a 5th line, still be $20 cheaper than the behind plans.

My favorite thing about this is that for some drat reason the in store sales system we use cannot setup autopay. So literally, I cannot personally setup autopay for a customer (I already just use their phone and login, but it's really, really inconvenient).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I don't really have an issue with auto-pay, but I don't like being forced to use a checking account to get the discount.

Agreed. I just don't like having my checking account out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon needs to ditch pretty much every account system they have as I think that's a huge contributor to what makes store wait times so bad.

Swapping to T-Mobile tonight was... refreshing? There were only two people working in the store and when I got there both were occupied with customers. Still, I was in and out in under 15 minutes and everything was setup, even autopay. It was just drat simple. "I want to get the One+ plan with my current number." Handed over account number, pin, credit card, and ID. Signed a few things, entered my SSN, swapped SIM, done.

I've spent more time doing an in-store pickup of an accessory at a Verizon store. I don't even mean wait times, I mean actually engaged with someone across the counter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, every time I've done an upgrade in-store I feel like I have to block out ~90 minutes to get everything settled.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just came across this while checking out device payments in my account. You can add this to the pile of bad news I guess:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure how you’re calculating that. Seems pretty clear from those numbers it’s still $20/device, but the data fee went from $100 to $120 for beyond.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Riiight, so the beyond table shows

2=160
3=180
4=200

Seems like that fits $120 + ($20/line), right?

Lol, but wait, now that it’s live, on their site it shows that for lines 5 and above, you add $50 total per line. 4 lines is $200 but 5 lines is $250.

What a clusterfuck.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Riiight, so the beyond table shows

2=160
3=180
4=200

Seems like that fits $120 + ($20/line), right?

Lol, but wait, now that it’s live, on their site it shows that for lines 5 and above, you add $50 total per line. 4 lines is $200 but 5 lines is $250.

What a clusterfuck.

It says 4+ lines is $50 per line in a linear increase.

On the old plan the per-line cost went down as you added lines, since the base access remained $100 but each line was only $20. Now you straight up pay $50 for each line. So 10 lines goes from $300 to $500.

There doesn't seem to be a "base access" anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon just emailed me to let me know I'm upgraded to Beyond Unlimited for free.

:shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

It says 4+ lines is $50 per line in a linear increase.
Oh jeez, lol, I thought the + was just an alternate asterisk pointing to the disclaimers at the bottom. Time to get off the Internet for a while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Verizon just emailed me to let me know I'm upgraded to Beyond Unlimited for free.

:shrug:

Yeah, that's essentially what was happening. You keep the same price, get the extra 5 gb of tethering data, 'gain' the video bandwidth throttling.

Everyone 'gains' the video throttling. From the oldest of unlimited plans to the newest of new.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SO is planning on moving me to his Verizon plan from Fi and claims it'd be cheaper. Am I right to assume that the plan has changed and he'd be paying more than $20/mo for an extra line now that these new plans are in effect?

A friend even claimed the app and site both wanted him to change his plan to one of the new plans just to add a new line, but my SO claims he can get the same $20/mo fee if he just goes into the store instead.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThermoPhysical posted:

SO is planning on moving me to his Verizon plan from Fi and claims it'd be cheaper. Am I right to assume that the plan has changed and he'd be paying more than $20/mo for an extra line now that these new plans are in effect?

A friend even claimed the app and site both wanted him to change his plan to one of the new plans just to add a new line, but my SO claims he can get the same $20/mo fee if he just goes into the store instead.

There is a breakpoint that Verizon would be cheaper solely on how much data you use. Total up how much data you use in between you and your SO in a month on average and if the Fi bill is larger, move to Verizon, if it's lower, keep Fi.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There is a breakpoint that Verizon would be cheaper solely on how much data you use. Total up how much data you use in between you and your SO in a month on average and if the Fi bill is larger, move to Verizon, if it's lower, keep Fi.

Oh I know that much, but he's claiming it's still $20/mo instead of the new plan which is basically paying the same plan twice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You have to approach the math different than before on the new plans. Verizon is essentially copying T-Mobile's approach to plans (and we know how Verizon does on copying...).

The old plans had a base rate ($100 with autopay), and it was $20 a line. So if you had two people at $100 + $20 + $20, that was $140. 3 people would be $100 + $20 + $20 + $20 = $160, hence "$20 to add a person."

New beyond plans:
No base rate.
2 phones is $80 each, so it's $80 + $80 = $160
3 phones is $60 each, so $60 + $60 + $60 = $180.

So both scenarios it's "$20 to add line," but the man is different on both to get there.

And yes, any lines after line # 4 is going to be $50 a line for beyond unlimited, still up to 10 lines per account.

Random thing: jetpacks aren't allowed on the lower unlimited plan. Only phones or tablets. Still figuring out what happens if someone already has one.

So yeah, a bit messy.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 23, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh man, I just got the "upgrade" email from VZW even though my number is ported, such bullshit they don't even mention the throttling in small print.

Half of it is crowing about their privacy invasion scheme masquerading as an incentive program.

quote:

Dear customer,Thanks for being an Unlimited customer. To show our appreciation, we’d like to tell you about two ways we’re making your plan even better.

First, we are introducing a different kind of rewards program called Verizon Up. How is it different? It’s super simple and gives you rewards you’ll actually want. The way it should be.Verizon Up offers rewards that range from everyday treats like music subscriptions to once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP passes to exclusive concerts and sporting events. To enroll, just download the My Verizon app.

Second, as part of our new Unlimited plan choices, we are introducing Beyond Unlimited. This plan has all the benefits of your current plan, plus an increase to 15GB of Hotspot usage at 4G LTE speeds. So you can do even more with your unlimited data across all your devices.And because you’ve been with us from the beginning, we’re upgrading your plan to include the additional Beyond Unlimited plan benefits at no additional cost. We’ve already updated your plan; there’s nothing you need to do!

So, enjoy your new upgraded unlimited plan and Verizon Up rewards on the network that just keeps getting better. RootMetrics, the largest independent study, just ranked Verizon the nation’s #1 network. Now 8 times in a row. Because there’s no such thing as “good enough” in our vocabulary.

Thanks again for the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

Ronan Dunne

President, Verizon Wireless

Emphasis mine. You say this literally the same day you tell everyone 720p is good enough, nearly word for word.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Btw, the cheaper unlimited doesn't include travel to Canada and Mexico. Only the beyond unlimited gets that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just realized the math gets ugly when you get beyond 5 lines.

Example: 6 lines.

Old unlimited
Base: $100
6 lines: $20 * 6 = $20
Total: $220

New beyond unlimited
6 lines: $50 * 6 = $300

So yeah, that's a big difference there. Considering it's $50 a line instead of $20, it's $30 more per line once you hit line 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Maybe Sprint's new ads won't feature people getting 'hooked' by Verizon, but *hanged*.

• Locked thread