Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's just the new Stupid Newbie av. It's really really bad.

Thanks, just wanted to be sure. That's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Aesop Poprock posted:

If they were actually boyfriends (I tend not to trust media accounts when it comes to gay relationships on this point) it wouldn't really count as strange and more "betrayed while sleeping by someone you were close to and trusted"

They were, and evidently the murderer told people he was going to propose a while ago. Maybe the proposal was rejected and that started this poo poo show.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Holy loving poo poo. I interviewed with this guy for a postdoc position back in 2014. That is insane. This is terrifying because now I'm convinced all the people I'm interacting with are secret fetish murderers :ohdear:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does anyone know why the gently caress that new newbie av exists because come the gently caress on why

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pick posted:

Academia is for nasty fuckups with no empathy so this surprises me, like not in the slightest. Also that age gap is 100% unsurprising because I've firsthand witnessed plenty of professors who went for strange less than half their age all the drat time.

I'm bemused as to why 2 presumably very clever people would put so much effort into planning this crime and apparently zero effort into planning what they should do AFTER committing the crime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm bemused as to why 2 presumably very clever people would put so much effort into planning this crime and apparently zero effort into planning what they should do AFTER committing the crime.

never worked for a professor have you

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pistol_Pete posted:

Only thinking with their penis

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pick posted:

never worked for a professor have you

Probably just assumed a grad student would come in and clean it all up for him.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

verbal enema posted:

Does anyone know why the gently caress that new newbie av exists because come the gently caress on why

i mean its a good incentive for people to buy a new av

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pistol_Pete posted:

It sounded like their fantasy scenario involved killing themselves as well and they just didn't go through with that? Which, y'know, immediately opens the can of worms of "poo poo, we incredibly obviously killed a guy, what do"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

verbal enema posted:

I guess whatever admin changed it thinks it's funny because the guy is so ugly. Knowing the story behind it pretty much takes all the "funny" out of it though, I don't care if it's a ploy to get people to buy avatars.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

verbal enema posted:

Remember when it was an anthropomorphised urinal?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

What is it about? I can't read it as vice has geoblocked Australia. It switches to a go enrol to vote page. What the loving hell?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Submarine saga continues: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/23/danish-police-confirm-torso-found-copenhagen-journalist-kim-wall

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Labes for days posted:

I guess whatever admin changed it thinks it's funny because the guy is so ugly. Knowing the story behind it pretty much takes all the "funny" out of it though, I don't care if it's a ploy to get people to buy avatars.

On the subject of unnerving avatars, when did your chybut guy start vibrating?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Antivehicular posted:

Look he's just really excited by Shartball, okay?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

What did he do to dismember her? Can't be much room or tools on a small submarine to do that.

Maybe she got decapitated by a closing watertight door?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Samovar posted:

Remember when it was an anthropomorphised urinal?

But that was funny

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

While I may have had that backwards, don't try and convince me I'm wrong about the book. You want "unnerving", try reading Ellen and Hooper waxing nostalgic about a canned chicken.
No, you're right about that part, the book version of Jaws is awful.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Antivehicular posted:

That's a good question, I guess some goon looked at it and thought "hmmm not creepy enough yet."

cptn_dr posted:

Look he's just really excited by Shartball, okay?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Comstar posted:

What did he do to dismember her? Can't be much room or tools on a small submarine to do that.

Four extremely closely-spaced watertight doors perhaps. Who then tied her to a pile of scrap and chucked her overboard so she wouldn't float.

I'm just saying it's possible.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

U.T. Raptor posted:

No, you're right about that part, the book version of Jaws is awful.

When I got it from the library, someone had written NO SHARK IN THIS CHAPTER a few times.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
He sure handled the alleged accident in a really shady way. The only non murder thing that would make dismembering her make sense would be making it easier to toss out the body. I'm interested to see what will be uncovered.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would have been even more unnerving if the torso wasn't hers.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Comstar posted:

One of the articles said the arms and legs were forcibly removed, but the head may have come off on its own. People tend to fall apart if they stay in water long enough.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If she died due to an accident it must have been caused by some sort of negligence, otherwise why try to cover it up? I'm willing to believe it may not have been murder but obviously the guy had something shady going on or he'd have simply reported the death as a tragic accident.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Antivehicular posted:

It sounded like their fantasy scenario involved killing themselves as well and they just didn't go through with that? Which, y'know, immediately opens the can of worms of "poo poo, we incredibly obviously killed a guy, what do"

Lol you know that dispiriting feeling you get when you've just done something sexually regrettable.

They must've had that x 1000.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Basebf555 posted:

If she died due to an accident it must have been caused by some sort of negligence, otherwise why try to cover it up? I'm willing to believe it may not have been murder but obviously the guy had something shady going on or he'd have simply reported the death as a tragic accident.

Devil's advocate response: people panic and do dumb poo poo, even after legitimate accidents ("they'll never believe me, poo poo how do I make this go away?"). Fear + adrenaline are a hell of a combination, and once you've started dismembering someone, you can't exactly stop and say "this isn't what it looks like", so people tend to double down on everything, including the lie, because gently caress it, you're in it now and if one thing comes apart the whole thing does.

Real answer he probably killed her.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Basebf555 posted:

I have no doubts that this guy is currently devoting his entire mental resources to coming up with a halfway plausible story that'll see him getting sent down for manslaughter rather than murder. Lets see what bullshit tale he comes up with!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Whitlam posted:

Devil's advocate response: people panic and do dumb poo poo, even after legitimate accidents ("they'll never believe me, poo poo how do I make this go away?"). Fear + adrenaline are a hell of a combination, and once you've started dismembering someone, you can't exactly stop and say "this isn't what it looks like", so people tend to double down on everything, including the lie, because gently caress it, you're in it now and if one thing comes apart the whole thing does.

Real answer he probably killed her.

It would also be extremely traumatic and trauma isn't exactly known to make people calm and rational.
But yeah dude probably killed her.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The fact that he had the gear to dismember the corpse plus a bunch of heavy stuff to weigh it down plus the foresight to try to put holes in the body to prevent it from floating makes it seem like it really wasn't "oh poo poo accident happened good thing I have my serial killing gear on hand!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ranbo das posted:

The fact that he had the gear to dismember the corpse plus a bunch of heavy stuff to weigh it down plus the foresight to try to put holes in the body to prevent it from floating makes it seem like it really wasn't "oh poo poo accident happened good thing I have my serial killing gear on hand!"

Yeah, I don't know about the Danish legal system, but that would be a strong argument in favor of premeditation in the US.n (IANAL)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I don't know about the Danish legal system, but that would be a strong argument in favor of premeditation in the US.n (IANAL)

Well it's the Danes so even if convicted he'll just get a lightly guarded apartment, generous stipend and plenty of chances to do it again!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Glazier posted:

Well it's the Danes so even if convicted he'll just get a lightly guarded apartment, generous stipend and plenty of chances to do it again!

Pffft, it makes me working for a living seem downright silly. For some local flavor:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170810/noble-square/noble-square-shooting-kills-man-trying-get-away-from-carjacking

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170809/west-town/west-town-shooting-kills-man-walking-down-street-police-say

These are both my neighborhood! I can't seem to find an article about the attempted kidnapping that just took place or the other non-fatal shootings that happened a few blocks west a couple weeks ago plus a lot of muggings and break ins (the downstairs apartment in my building just got robbed about two months ago) as well. I don't find it terribly unnerving, but one of my roommates is a bit freaked out and my other one has been staying at his boyfriend's ever since the break in downstairs. If things keep up like this then I may actually be able to afford a house in my new neighborhood by next year.

edit:
Just noticed the kidnapping/carjacking was actually the article under the baker's one.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Aug 24, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pffft, it makes me working for a living seem downright silly. For some local flavor:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170810/noble-square/noble-square-shooting-kills-man-trying-get-away-from-carjacking

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170809/west-town/west-town-shooting-kills-man-walking-down-street-police-say

These are both my neighborhood! I can't seem to find an article about the attempted kidnapping that just took place or the other non-fatal shootings that happened a few blocks west a couple weeks ago plus a lot of muggings and break ins (the downstairs apartment in my building just got robbed about two months ago) as well. I don't find it terribly unnerving, but one of my roommates is a bit freaked out and my other one has been staying at his boyfriend's ever since the break in downstairs. If things keep up like this then I may actually be able to afford a house in my new neighborhood by next year.

edit:
Just noticed the kidnapping/carjacking was actually the article under the baker's one.

Sup fellow chicago goon, both of those random brutal murders are in walking distance of my new apartment :woop:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Labes for days posted:

I asked him about it.

Lowtax posted:

I like it because he is ugly and that's funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Sup fellow chicago goon, both of those random brutal murders are in walking distance of my new apartment :woop:

What up neighbor!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Glazier posted:

:jerkbag:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sarcopenia posted:

It would also be extremely traumatic and trauma isn't exactly known to make people calm and rational.
But yeah dude probably killed her.

I'm not fully convinced it was murder, but even the most generous possible interpretation makes him look pretty bad. At the very least, someone died while he was responsible for her safety, and then tried to cover it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I posted ages ago about the body/skeleton of a little girl that was found on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, packed in a suitcase, who was eventually DNA matched to the body of a missing woman who had been found over 1000km away, 5 years earlier which then lead to the identification of them both. Looks like they've caught the guy who killed them.