Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Disgusting Coward posted:

Overhearing other people's conversations, but they keep getting stuff wrong and you can't correct them because you're eavesdropping.

Every single time I take the bus. Every. Single. Time.

Wow, I never realized how much I hate this but, yes. I've heard some of the worst discussions at work, you know those ones where both sides are making the weakest and most ineffectual argument for their point possible, and you know you could come in with a veritable kill-stroke that would just ruin the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Wow, I never realized how much I hate this but, yes. I've heard some of the worst discussions at work, you know those ones where both sides are making the weakest and most ineffectual argument for their point possible, and you know you could come in with a veritable kill-stroke that would just ruin the conversation.

Happened yesterday during the eclipse, previous one was 1979 and the next one is 2024. I heard it 10 years in either direction, and gave up after a while because apparently no one really cares. There were more than a handful of people who didn't exactly care about it this time around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When you arrive at work in the morning and instantly prickle with sweat all over your upper body because it's so much warmer inside than outside, which leaves you a) feeling uncomfortable until you acclimatise; and b) smelly for the rest of the day.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

When you arrive at work in the morning and instantly prickle with sweat all over your upper body because it's so much warmer inside than outside, which leaves you a) feeling uncomfortable until you acclimatise; and b) smelly for the rest of the day.

lol how fat are you that walking into a building warmer than outside instantly makes you not only sweat, but be stinky for the whole day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In my neck of the woods we crank up the A/C in any public building to meat cooler levels, so I'm more likely to get vapor on my glasses walking into a place during the summer.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The slowest setting on my windshield wipers is sometimes still too fast for the rate of rainfall. So I either have to leave them on and listen to the blades squeak across a semi-dry surface every few seconds, or leave them off and manually flick them back on/off again every few (but slightly more) seconds once it gets difficult to see.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When my landlord thinks it's cool/normal to just immediately unlock and open the door after ringing the doorbell once. I hate having to be prepared for company to pop in at any moment. At least wait until I come to the door so you don't have to constantly see me racing to get my pants on.

e: for the record I did ask him to wait for me to get to the door in the future, but I think he just doesn't understand the concept of why that would make someone uncomfortable.

Sounds quasi illegal unless you live somewhere without tenants rights.

Aesop Poprock posted:

When service people would do this at my last apartment without me giving them permission I would just chill near them in my underwear the whole time looking angry with my crotch at face level

I think I've seen videos on the internet like this :bigtran:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

I think I've seen videos on the internet like this :bigtran:

They were almost always crusty old guys so I never considered the possibility that my lithe, nude young body might be turning them on while they fixed my dishwasher door

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my parents decided they were gonna pay for some dental work for my husband, for his birthday. my mom made an appointment for next week without asking me when he works (even tho she called to ask me other things) and I know her heart is in the right place but now she's gonna have to reschedule that, probably weeks out from now, because of how his work schedule is at the moment.

I wish she had just asked me. :(

e: they already told me they were gonna do this so I have no idea why they couldn't just talk to me about it???

snoo has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When people write "yea" when they mean "yeah". They're completely different words!

starkebn posted:

I don't think there's anything "quasi" about it. Your landlord isn't allowed to just come in any time they feel like it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Tiggum posted:

When people write "yea" when they mean "yeah". They're completely different words!

Oh great we got us a SNOOT itt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When my landlord thinks it's cool/normal to just immediately unlock and open the door after ringing the doorbell once. I hate having to be prepared for company to pop in at any moment. At least wait until I come to the door so you don't have to constantly see me racing to get my pants on.

I had a pizza delivery person do this once. Where they knocked once, opened the door and just walked in. My roommate at the time was super pissed, but I was honestly surprised that they would even do that to have a reaction

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why did pizza dude have a key to your door? :-$

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

starkebn posted:

It's in Germany and I don't care enough to google translate my lease to see if anything is in there about it. It's more just annoying than anything. Usually I'm just watching tv or something when he does it, but it would escalate a bit more if he did it when I had more than just a shirt off or whatever. But like I said I think he just doesn't "get" wanting privacy, the guy walks around in nothing but a speedo most summer days and he's a fat german man in his 60s who honestly could do with a bit of covering up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's in Germany and I don't care enough to google translate my lease to see if anything is in there about it. It's more just annoying than anything. Usually I'm just watching tv or something when he does it, but it would escalate a bit more if he did it when I had more than just a shirt off or whatever. But like I said I think he just doesn't "get" wanting privacy, the guy walks around in nothing but a speedo most summer days and he's a fat german man in his 60s who honestly could do with a bit of covering up.

It's illegal no matter what the lease says

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think Germany has some of the best rental laws in the world, so maybe you should tell him to loving wait outside

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Also, while I do not know what kind of locks your door has, ours work in a way that if you push the key in all the way you won't be able to unlock it from the other side. So maybe try that?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

These thingies actually work pretty well, and are good to have even if you don't have a weird landlord.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

It's in Germany and I don't care enough to google translate my lease to see if anything is in there about it.
wait, did you sign a lease in a language you can't read? Have you ever translated it or are you just assuming you're going to go your merry way without ever knowing what you signed your name to legally?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

wait, did you sign a lease in a language you can't read? Have you ever translated it or are you just assuming you're going to go your merry way without ever knowing what you signed your name to legally?

He walked me through it when I got here and it seemed extremely standard. It has been 2 years and he has honored everything he described (fixes things that wear out/break, etc) so I'm not too concerned :shrug:

Besides, I sign my name to legal things I don't fully read all the time and hope for the best, and it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

He walked me through it when I got here and it seemed extremely standard. It has been 2 years and he has honored everything he described (fixes things that wear out/break, etc) so I'm not too concerned :shrug:

Besides, I sign my name to legal things I don't fully read all the time and hope for the best, and it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Please remember this post for the time where you will get hosed over royally.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Please remember this post for the time where you will get hosed over royally.

It is a pretty careless attitude to have, I agree, but in this case at least I feel it's OK to trust someone at their word. Plus if he was going to screw me over I think he would have done it already.

Anyway, different peeve: when you ask someone a question about some minor detail and they get into this big back-and-forth thing where they keep asking "why do you want to know?". Like for example, I asked my brother what color tie he's making us wear, and he keeps saying "why does it matter, i'm arranging the rental". They are usually right that it doesn't matter, but i'm not asking for the nuclear launch codes here, just one little thing out of curiosity. It just makes you seem like an unpleasant person, like the type who would respond to "how was your weekend?" with "what's it to you?".

e: responding to below post so I don't keep spamming the thread with this stuff: I know I could, but I think it would be an overreaction on my part. It's just a "pet peeve", hence why I posted it here, not a major thing. I did appreciate the advice someone posted about keeping my key in the door - that should work without causing needless drama.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Aug 23, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You would be 100% within your rights to have the locks changed until you move out and bill him for it. Not only is it illegal for him to have a key, it's illegal for him to enter your apartment without advance notice and he can only reasonably expect to do it like once a year.

Renters are well protected by the law in Germany and leases are largely standardized as a result, but the devil is very much in the detail.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's illegal for a landlord to have a key to his own property?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

oldpainless posted:

More like old-keyless (entry)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

He's renting out his property for exclusive use by the tenant. Yep.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
At one of my favorite lunch places, people don't understand the concept of forming lines that snake to use all of the space, even though there are those metal barriers to encourage snaking. Drives me crazy every time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

He's renting out his property for exclusive use by the tenant. Yep.

I don't think I've ever lived in an apartment where the landlord didn't have a key to the property, even if only to be able to lend it to you if you lock your dumb rear end out somehow

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't think I've ever lived in an apartment where the landlord didn't have a key to the property, even if only to be able to lend it to you if you lock your dumb rear end out somehow

They're talking specifically about Germany, which apparently has this weird legal concept called 'tenant rights' or some drat thing.

Even in the U.S., though, where the entire section of most states' legal codes about the rights of tenants is just a photo of a man in an expensive suit pointing and laughing at you, your landlord isn't (in most places) just allowed to wander into your home any time they drat well please.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Disgusting Coward posted:

Overhearing other people's conversations, but they keep getting stuff wrong and you can't correct them because you're eavesdropping.

Every single time I take the bus. Every. Single. Time.

This reminded me that yesterday I overheard the following exchange:

Man #1: Chris Benoit died?! When did this happen??!?!
Man #2: Yeah, he shot himself and his family.

First of all, I can't imagine how someone would manage to know who Chris Benoit was without knowing that he died over 10 years ago. :psypop: Second of all, he didn't shoot them. I was running late for work or else I might have said something, but regardless, it bugged me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

docbeard posted:

They're talking specifically about Germany, which apparently has this weird legal concept called 'tenant rights' or some drat thing.

Even in the U.S., though, where the entire section of most states' legal codes about the rights of tenants is just a photo of a man in an expensive suit pointing and laughing at you, your landlord isn't (in most places) just allowed to wander into your home any time they drat well please.

I'm in the UK, my landlord has a key but he only uses it in emergencies, for example if something big goes wrong like my sink breaking or the boiler ceasing to function it requires emergency assistance to fix - If I'll be at work and unable to let him in, he can get in to fix the problem before it becomes a disaster. I'm fine with it personally, it's handy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

This reminded me that yesterday I overheard the following exchange:

Man #1: Chris Benoit died?! When did this happen??!?!
Man #2: Yeah, he shot himself and his family.

First of all, I can't imagine how someone would manage to know who Chris Benoit was without knowing that he died over 10 years ago. :psypop: Second of all, he didn't shoot them. I was running late for work or else I might have said something, but regardless, it bugged me.

People still think Benoit killed his family with the crippler crossface even on this forum. I don't think anyone gets the facts straight with that mess

He definitely did it while wearing a bra though

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I judge a WWE video-game on how close I can make Chris Benoit in the Character-Creator.

edit: poo poo, AV Club just changed their site-layout to an unintelligible mess. Delete bookmark.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

edit: poo poo, AV Club just changed their site-layout to an unintelligible mess. Delete bookmark.

Their comment sections are (were?) the only ones out there to outdo SA in pseudo-intellectual insufferableness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They just switched to Kinja so now they look like a Gawker site (both are owned by Univision). Comments are still there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

lol how fat are you that walking into a building warmer than outside instantly makes you not only sweat, but be stinky for the whole day

Oh, I'm so fat you can tell when I'm entering the building from the sound of my sides scraping against the doorframe, but even when I wasn't fat, I sweated excessively. I don't know if it's because I drink so much water or not. There's guys more heavyset than me at the jiu-jitsu club I'm in who'd sweat less than I do when they grapple. :shrug:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when my phone snags onto some distant-enough-to-be-horrible wi-fi, at random, in the middle of things.

Like, I'm reasonably sure there's no "just ignore all wi-fi unless it is these specific wi-fi spots" option, but I've completely blanked on options before. Plus, I'm reasonably sure half the issue is that xfinity wifi nodes are everywhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In my "configure wifi" settings (Nexus 6) there is an option to use open wifi automatically and I turned it off.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Apartment listings that don't have just a basic floor plan. It seems that they all either have the 3D guide through the apartment, or the layout that has furniture included. I don't need that, I just need dimensions! Bonus points if the only dimensions listed are for the entire apartment, but no rooms have the individual size. WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Receipts for small purchases like lunch. No, I don't want them, stop handing them to me by default, I will just throw it away.

I love any place that asks me if I want it or not, I always say no and we both save time.

I understand some people need them, but let those people ask for one, don't hand them out as a default preference.