Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Y'all talking bout the ACC and no mention of Operation Everyone Goes 4-4? Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Ok y'all just kill me loving dead before the 2nd.

https://twitter.com/gators247_/status/900161745276329984

lol what the gently caress

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Apparently ESPN pulled an announcer from the UVA home opener to avoid offending viewers.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/msespn-pulls-asian-announcer-named-robert-lee-off-uva-game-avoid-offending-idiots/

He's and Asian man named Robert Lee.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Apparently ESPN pulled an announcer from the UVA home opener to avoid offending viewers.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/msespn-pulls-asian-announcer-named-robert-lee-off-uva-game-avoid-offending-idiots/

He's and Asian man named Robert Lee.

Im insanely anti-confederacy glorification and (if true) this is dumb as fuuuuck.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
drat confederate asians :argh:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That is about the dumbest imaginable thing

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I can understand the move but holy gently caress I've got to go deep into PR sociopath territory to do so

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

They said via Wolken that it was because the proximity to the charlottesville even would've made him an easy target for people making jokes and causing further denigration, especially since it is (was) his first ever assignment

Which, yeah, the internet, and Fox so

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
No one knows who a 3rd tier ESPN3 announcer is, why they didn't call him "Bobby Lee" for a day instead is mind boggling.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I have tons of respect for KJI for defending his terrible football program constantly and without fail

all of us who went to schools with terrible football programs could learn a thing or two IMO.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ask me about northwestern's minor football hiccups for the vast majority of the twentieth century

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Frinkahedron posted:

No one knows who a 3rd tier ESPN3 announcer is, why they didn't call him "Bobby Lee" for a day instead is mind boggling.

The real one is also sometimes referred to as Bobby Lee.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

R.D. Mangles posted:

ask me about northwestern's minor football hiccups for the vast majority of the twentieth century

I was bummed they didn't upset USC in '96.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's so stupid. Meanwhile, CBS gets away with Florida-Georgia Line in its bumpers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frinkahedron posted:

That could also be construed as problematic

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0496899/

General Dog posted:

The few outliers have been really bizarre and out of left field. Auburn hiring away Chizik after putting together a couple of really mediocre years at Iowa State.

This reminded me that Gene Chizik won a national title. Has anyone ever gotten less respect for a national title than Gene Chizik?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Frinkahedron posted:

They already have Bob Ley, too confusing, people would wonder why he became young and Asian

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People would tune in expecting former MADTV star Bobby Lee to call the game.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

PostNouveau posted:

Has anyone ever gotten less respect for a national title than Gene Chizik?

You get guys like Larry Coker or (in basketball) Tubby Smith who will not get much credit for inheriting a behemoth program and then winning with it. But overall Chizik is hard to top as the least successful head coach to win a championship.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LLCoolJD posted:

You get guys like Larry Coker or (in basketball) Tubby Smith who will not get much credit for inheriting a behemoth program and then winning with it. But overall Chizik is hard to top as the least successful head coach to win a championship.

lovie smith is the head coach of... i forget if it's indiana or illinois, honestly

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Raku posted:

lovie smith is the head coach of... i forget if it's indiana or illinois, honestly

Lovie Smith got to a Super Bowl but he never won a title

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Former GT Athletic Association associate director

https://twitter.com/DeanBuchan/status/899969020044169216

lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lovie Smith got to a Super Bowl but he never won a title

He got there with Rex Grossman and the ghosts of the 1985 Bears haunting them the whole way, that has to count for something.

I've been living overseas six years, I don't follow local media and don't bother watching every game (especially the ones starting at 4 am my time Sunday mornings), and college football and the sport of football are only proving themselves to be harmful things. But I'm still kinda excited for Stanford-Rice, the Ducks season to start next week, whatever the fresh hell our new uniforms will look like, and possibly getting to watch the Civil War with my family at home this fall. Even if the sport is bad, it's still such an ingrained tradition. Hard to get rid of.

Now where the hell is that Spencer Hall long-form essay that is the true curtain raiser for football season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

I dunno, Coker might be worse.

That Auburn team really only had like 2 or 3 good players on it. Sure one of those players was Cam, but there had to be some actual coaching to get out of the SEC.

Coker had a NFL All Pro team in the old big east. I still remember several networks cutting into the BC game because the golden eagles were somehow still in the game, behind brian st. pierre and and future william "i dont know how i was stabbed ten times, officer" green.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Raku posted:

Illinois. I don't want to be able to remember that but I did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Last year there was a giant Lovie billboard on Ontario Street in downtown Chicago that said "HAIL THE ILLINI" and I laughed every time I saw it

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Last year there was a giant Lovie billboard on Ontario Street in downtown Chicago that said "HAIL THE ILLINI" and I laughed every time I saw it

Was it this

Looks like he's meeting his daughter's new boyfriend and he doesn't approve.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cash Monet posted:

Was it this

Looks like he's meeting his daughter's new boyfriend and he doesn't approve.

Same idea but just with a different noun. This one was probably in a different city location.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

I dunno, Coker might be worse.

That Auburn team really only had like 2 or 3 good players on it. Sure one of those players was Cam, but there had to be some actual coaching to get out of the SEC.

Coker had a NFL All Pro team in the old big east. I still remember several networks cutting into the BC game because the golden eagles were somehow still in the game, behind brian st. pierre and and future william "i dont know how i was stabbed ten times, officer" green.

Cam is like literally the best college player of all time though and he also had Malzahn as his OC. That offense is pretty great when it has the right QB and it was still new to the rest of the conference at the time.

Coker went on to do a fairly respectable job building UTSA from scratch (it got away from him at the end, but they had winning records in the 2nd and 3rd seasons of the program's existence) which is more than Chizik has done since he lost his HC job.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Coker managed to basically destroy the Miami program in a way that it hasn't really recovered from yet. The school didn't help with it's hires after, but coker set it in motion. He didn't really watch recruit film, and just recruited based off the star ranking. He didn't really coach. He didn't discipline the players.

He's not a good coach. I still rooted for him at UTSA though, mainly because I got to call them the fightin' cokers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Coker is particularly great just a little better on balance than Chizik. It's not very high praise.

Blaming him for the state of the program so long after he got fired seems like a little much. He didn't do a great job maintaining what he inherited but there was still talent there when he left and they made two really bad hires after him.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gene Chizik kept South Carolina out of the 2011 SEC Championship Game, allowing us to be the ones to be massacred by LSU, and for that, we thank him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eh, maybe so.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I think the proper take is:

Grittybeard posted:

I think I kinda buy Deadspin's take on it. ESPN noticed some low level announcer (after all he's calling UVA football) that people would make bad jokes and memes about on twitter and thought "hey, we don't want to be the butt of dumb jokes." They thought no one would notice if they just changed the game he was calling up. Would you notice if whoever was scheduled to call some Rice/UTEP game was changed over to a North Texas game weeks before it happened?

ESPN didn't tell anyone, if they were grandstanding they absolutely would have and they just tried to slip it under the radar instead. Then someone told Clay Travis, and Clay Travis Clay Travised about it and forced it into an issue ESPN never saw coming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/900376517716451328

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"According to Clay Travis..."

Like, that should halt anything you're about to complain about. Put it on the shelf next to "According to this latest study by the Church of Scientology..."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Yeah, I think the proper take is:

Yeah I didn't want to quote myself but that :shobon:

Seriously though this seems like a whole bunch of dumb poo poo about nothing, except about nothing on the other side of what it originally seems to be dumb poo poo about.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Man I hope they keep moving along because I like Dave but losing Mike Elko really hurt. I think their new DC was the Minnesota guy who did well there so that should help.

Yeah. Might be a downgrade but to be honest I don't know if we could have found a better immediate replacement so...

Also our offensive skill depth is insane by Wake standards.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lovie is going to bring Illinois back to respectability and the minute Illinois beats Bama in a bowl game I'm going to force my wife to replace all the baby's crimson outfits with neon orange ones

after that bama/uiuc nit game embarrassment , northwestern gear started showing up too since we live in Evanston high school district .

lovie is my only hope please God lovie I believe in you

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Chizik had Malzahn coaching his offense and Cam Newton and Nick Fairley, two players so supreme at the college level that they won despite him being a capable DC who was in over his head as the head coach.

Until just now I didn't realize he was a linebacker at Florida in the early 80s.

PostNouveau posted:

Eh, maybe so.

ESPN management "asked" about him switching games. As if some radio peon would dare say no after they laid off all of those people recently.

• Locked thread