Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a remote office with no IT staff and you don't have out-of-band management on anything then :sigh:

:sigh:

At least for that particular location, it's pointless as we can just shut down that server later this year for good. The others though... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Got it! NewSID?

Hot dog! We have a weiner!

Make that two.

EDIT:

Sefal posted:

Can you build stuff? Like WDS, WSUS, etc.. if you can set that all up and manage it. You could learn alot. If that guy was in charge, I suspect that alot of things can be heavily improved. i'd say take a look on building new servers. Automate whatever you can in the AD with powershell.

Nope. We are desktop support and have no hands in the imaging process except executing it. The "offshore team" maintains it. Ditto everything having to do with servers, that's remotely managed too. We might get sent to "stop by" and see if something's shut down, but that's our involvement.

This is why I want out.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 23, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Irritated Goat posted:

Learning MDT. Holy poo poo, can this thing be any more obtuse? I'm about to settle for handwriting scripts for the things I want to do rather than learn MDT. :stare:

MDT is fantastic and once you're over the single hill on the learning curve, everything is easy. PM me if you have questions or want help.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
L-l-l-look at you, developer

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

abigserve posted:

ah ok. yeah that aint right. No dynamic routing or PPP setup?

No. But it seems because this 1/3 interface is setup with a dynamic ip from this ISP, its acting like a trunk port on a switch. Its just as secondary internet line, but its also something that I am going to correct. I have never dealt with a dynamic ip'd interface on a router before and its thrown me off.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tactlessbastard posted:

L-l-l-look at you, developer

A p-pa-pathetic creature of chetoes and dew. Panting and sweating as you rise from your chair.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

Hot dog! We have a weiner!

Mark Russinovich posted:

I wrote NewSID in 1997
:stare:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Irritated Goat posted:

Kinda late but I do this. :( Mostly because my eyes can't tell the difference rather than ignorance. I KNOW HDMI\DisplayPort > DVI > VGA but hosed if I can tell you how.

As far as monitors go HDMI = DVI. The video signal is identical, effectively a digital variant of VGA-style signaling, with the only differences being in the extra features HDMI supports like audio and ethernet channels. DisplayPort is technically a better standard (HDMI 2.1 is changing to be a lot more like DisplayPort than DVI) but should be visually identical to any other digital format.

VGA I can typically see the difference at 1080p, but it's hard to tell below that. Lines and text start to smear a bit in to neighboring pixels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VGA is artifact city

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why do we need 8 meetings to discuss how we don't want to be able to enter duplicate PO numbers?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A p-pa-pathetic creature of chetoes and dew. Panting and sweating as you rise from your chair.

How can you challenge a perfect, immortal buffalo?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

Why do we need 8 meetings to discuss how we don't want to be able to enter duplicate PO numbers?

Data validation is for the weak.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Managers need to look busy to stay on the right side of their bosses

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wolrah posted:

VGA I can typically see the difference at 1080p, but it's hard to tell below that. Lines and text start to smear a bit in to neighboring pixels.
Generally depends on the monitor as some old piece of crap will be very obvious, the simple way is VGA is poorest and anything is great. VGA is a bit of a crapshoot as modern monitors can be pretty good in dealing with it at 1080p but it's pretty common to get some bluriness going on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Super Slash posted:

Generally depends on the monitor as some old piece of crap will be very obvious, the simple way is VGA is poorest and anything is great. VGA is a bit of a crapshoot as modern monitors can be pretty good in dealing with it at 1080p but it's pretty common to get some bluriness going on.

I'm using VGA on this 1080p monitor and it looks perfectly fine to me. :shrug:

I also can't tell when fps drops in games unless it's super obviously lower than like 15 fps.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm sure he thinks powershell is the new DOS and using it manipulates the hardware code, causing viruses.

Ow, my brain.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm using VGA on this 1080p monitor and it looks perfectly fine to me. :shrug:

I also can't tell when fps drops in games unless it's super obviously lower than like 15 fps.

Side-by-side with a DVI cable and you can

VGA accepts too much dang interference

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I have two side by side 1080p 24" monitors at work, one over VGA and one over DisplayPort, and I can't tell a difference.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sfwarlock posted:

Last clue about this magic program you have to run on the image so there are no problems: even the author has said not only is it no longer necessary, it probably never was...

loving lmao my boss was making me do this when reimaging devices pre-MDT a year or so ago, I had not yet reached the point of assuming everything coming out of his mouth was total bullshit so never thought twice about it. He even spent money on some utility to do it!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dross posted:

I have two side by side 1080p 24" monitors at work, one over VGA and one over DisplayPort, and I can't tell a difference.

Interference normally starts being visible at 1280×1024 and above so you're borderline at that low resolution, but if you have cheap monitors they could well be analog panels inside anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You're a web server. You have a site configured with an expired SSL cert (not a real one but one you generated)

Do you:
A) serve up the site with the old site, and the browser warns the user
B) crash into an all of flames and not serve up poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VGA is blurry as poo poo and I don't want to have to go back to having to hit an auto button to align the screen. Digital pls.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

You're a web server. You have a site configured with an expired SSL cert (not a real one but one you generated)

Do you:

Why not both?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Do you:

Are there software solutions that help monitor certification expiration and/or license expiration? Seems like something that is common to mess up in orgs today.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Do you:

Previously you'd see a lot more A, but given that web browsers are getting to the point where invalid certs are "full fail, no option to bypass" because people just click "ignore warning and accept" 6 times in a row without actually reading anything, it doesn't surprise me that some webservers panic instead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Previously you'd see a lot more A, but given that web browsers are getting to the point where invalid certs are "full fail, no option to bypass" because people just click "ignore warning and accept" 6 times in a row without actually reading anything, it doesn't surprise me that some webservers panic instead.

Are you absolutely positive this is an issue on the web server and not that every browser is serving a 404 because it doesn't want to accept the cert?

I opened a support ticket when Chrome, Firefox, and IE wouldn't load our CUCM page, only to learn that all three were giving 404s instead of security warnings like they had previously.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sickening posted:

Are there software solutions that help monitor certification expiration and/or license expiration? Seems like something that is common to mess up in orgs today.

Unless you need a green EV bar for compliance, use LetsEncrypt and an ACME client on every cert-having service.

Otherwise, a shared calendar seems like a good tool for tracking events and generating reminder alerts. :shrug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Telecom saga still continues.

Second provider I've tried, CenturyLink, has pulled a no-show for the second time.

Can TCP/IP work over tin cans and string?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The best RFC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Are you absolutely positive this is an issue on the web server and not that every browser is serving a 404 because it doesn't want to accept the cert?

Yea, the Apache log gets an entry like so:

SSL initialization operation failed, return code error = 107

And then it shows the server being down with a big red dot. Start it back up, try to access the site, and it shuts down again.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Irritated Goat posted:

Kinda late but I do this. :( Mostly because my eyes can't tell the difference rather than ignorance. I KNOW HDMI\DisplayPort > DVI > VGA but hosed if I can tell you how.

Displayport > HDMI/DVI > VGA

HDMI is a direct pin to pin adaptation from DVI with the VGA analog pins removed and audio channels added.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The biggest PITA is that you can go from DP to DVI/HDMI but not back

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Displayport > HDMI/DVI > VGA

HDMI is a direct pin to pin adaptation from DVI with the VGA analog pins removed and audio channels added.

Sad part is, that kind of proves how bad my eyes are. :sigh: Ah well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
CenturyLink update...

Instead of marking the install as completed, this time they changed the installation date to the 28th, with zero notification.

They have a backlog of work in the area (not my problem), and cannot give a firm date, but yet will still schedule a date, even though they know they will not be able to meet it. So basically, it will be installed whenever they loving feel like it.

gently caress all telecom companies, just gently caress them right in the rear end.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

The biggest PITA is that you can go from DP to DVI/HDMI but not back

It's technically possible, though you'd probably end up introducing latency similarly to Component->HDMI converters, but I think the lack of products comes down to lack of demand. Almost everything with DisplayPort inputs also has HDMI or DVI natively so I'm not sure how much of a market there'd actually be for the product.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wolrah posted:

It's technically possible, though you'd probably end up introducing latency similarly to Component->HDMI converters, but I think the lack of products comes down to lack of demand. Almost everything with DisplayPort inputs also has HDMI or DVI natively so I'm not sure how much of a market there'd actually be for the product.

There are active converters, yes.

Here's an example. We bought some Dell PC's, and then ordered some extra monitors that have VGA and DisplayPort

The computers? HDMI and DVI

We shuffled them around but you have to be careful you don't get hosed with monitors that don't have many inputs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Irritated Goat posted:

It's simple: at higher resolutions you start to get noticeable blurring of the analog signal in VGA, especially if the cable isn't high quality/is long, and the monitor can't fix that. HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort are the same quality as each other and better than VGA because no resolution will result in blurring, it'll simply be fully clear up to the device's maximum resolution and then won't be able to display higher.

If you do a lot of work hooking up to like 1366x768 displays, you're generally not going to get the blurring to be noticeable. When you're up to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, you start to get quite noticeable blurring with low quality connections, and going higher than that on VGA can make it so blurred if you don't have high quality components all the way through that you simply lose a bunch of your pixel data to it (like, trying to run CRTs at 2048x1536 back in the day).

But the most important reason HDMI or DisplayPort is the best to use of all? Easiest to plug in and unplug.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I keep this line at the bottom of my email signature:

If this message appears incomplete or garbled, please reference RFC 1149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, the Apache log gets an entry like so:

SSL initialization operation failed, return code error = 107

And then it shows the server being down with a big red dot. Start it back up, try to access the site, and it shuts down again.

The fact that it's "on access" vs. "on start" makes it sound like there's something in the website that's attempting to access something else with an expired/invalid SSL cert (doubly so with the first google result being "107 is the Secure socket API error code"), but yeah no matter how the stack's falling over the easiest solution is probably going to be "fix the cert and set a reminder for a couple weeks before the next time it happens". I'm not familiar with the actual tech there but there might be some sort of sandbox/development/"ignore SSL cert errors" switch you could throw in the config somewhere temporarily?