Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol this loving monk just used second wind I guess he's the healer now go get'em champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

orcane posted:

It's the big ninja with the ninja adds, yeah.

oh I was thinking of the first boss with the bomb guys

The DPS (myself included) is really bad at positioning them properly.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You weren't in tank stance so the dps obviously thought you didn't want to tank and was trying to teach you a valuable lesson

don't need no tank stance if you out DPS the DPS

it's math

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For the record I don't condone healers not healing or tanks not tanking to be drama queens, but I also don't give a poo poo if other people do it to me because I just don't give a gently caress about much in this game short of sheer incompetency.

The last time a tank pulled that on me (walked too far forward mid dungeon and accidentally pulled trash) I just sat there and face tanked not giving a poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd argue for GW2 that while gear doesn't have any treadmill to speak of, the amount of time you actually have to spend grinding for a lot of poo poo is basically equivalent to a full anima weapon.

Exotic gear is all that's needed except in very high end group content (high level fractals require the resistance thingy that's only on ascended), and the game practically shits money at you at this point. A full berserker set shouldn't be more than a week or two of light play, which is probably also the amount of time it takes to hit level 80. I know my first ever char at game release (i.e. when high level gear is at its expensivest) didn't have any issue gearing up to exotic, which was the best gear at the time.

I've played gw2 for a few years on and off since release, then benched it around the time ffxiv 2.4 released. I recently returned because a) I have 2 expansions worth of content to play through (pof is gonna hit before i'm done with hot) and b) all my friends have picked it up again and obviously I wanna play games with them. My gear is all still current and I can play any content. If I leave FF when I clear o4s and come back for 4.2 or 4.4, I won't even be able to enter the new normal raid through dungeon finder, much less contribute in savage, and the solution to that is to run exdr for like 2 months straight in the meantime. Yes, catching up is easy, but I'd rather play the new bosses than play catchup so I do what I gotta do :shobon:

At least FF14 got the important progression lesson and all the important gear is tokenized tomestonized, and while people in this thread often yell at it being boring and unimaginative, at least you know you're making steady progress and can buy all the upgrades you'll need for the next raid tier comfortably rather than running one thing over and over hoping it drops. Which is incidentally the thing FF14 had much better than GW2 had at release. FF relics are a nice and steady progress and you get rewarded incrementally for your effort. GW2's "relics" (i.e. legendary gear) poo poo used to be subject to way too much RNG luck. You either got the 1000 gold worth 1 in a billion drop or you didn't, tough poo poo lol. GW2's relics are still pointless grind bullshit, no arguing that, but I guess you need bullshit like that in a game with a lack of other bullshit like gear treadmill. :v:

orcane posted:

I really disliked HoT

Funnily enough, I really like hot maps a lot, but I can see how it'd get old really fast if those 4 maps are all the new content you had for the full game priced expansion. It'd be like buying stormblood, but expansion ends at yanxia and there's no dungeons and only 1 trial and raid :laffo:

Renegret posted:

oh I was thinking of the first boss with the bomb guys

The DPS (myself included) is really bad at positioning them properly.

pro-lazy-tip: the bomb guys do like 2-3000 damage each, a succor hits for more than that these days. Just use your mana ward and pretend nothing even happened.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd argue for GW2 that while gear doesn't have any treadmill to speak of, the amount of time you actually have to spend grinding for a lot of poo poo is basically equivalent to a full anima weapon. It's just a constant slew of anima weapon tier grinds and that's awful. It's one of my biggest complaints about the game. FF14 may have ilvl but they actively make an effort to allow catching up quickly and easily.

Such as letting you buy crafted gear? Otherwise, I guess I have a different definition of "quick and easy". During its best time, WoW used to stock its newest dungeons with gear good enough to start the current raid tiers on normal, and the available gear from uncapped tokens was on the same level. Here you're x weeks worth of capped tokens behind, which are the baseline for current raids, the uncapped tomes are 2-3 tiers behind and are required to even run the newest dungeon or 24-man raid, most dungeons you go to drop stuff another tier or several lower, and getting drops is unmitigated RNG (eg. WoW eventually added personal loot and streak prevention) or capped again. In queues where you never run out of people who might want the same stuff you want.

Also GW2 has moronic grinds, eg. legendaries and some cosmetic stuff, but a set of ascended gear is not that big of a deal anymore and once you have it you can return after a year and it's still good. Not the best, even if it was before, because there's probably a new better stat combination, but the "item level" is the same, you're not suddenly 30% behind in all stats compared to someone who upgraded constantly during that time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Truga posted:

pro-lazy-tip: the bomb guys do like 2-3000 damage each, a succor hits for more than that these days. Just use your mana ward and pretend nothing even happened.

I appreciate that you remember I main BLM

That or I post about flare too much

because flare is really loving good

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Renegret posted:

don't need no tank stance if you out DPS the DPS

it's math

This is sadly what ends up happening in a lot of my DF groups :smith:

Also if you're a goon on excal don't buy poo poo off the MB unless it's dirt cheap just ask a goon to craft it for you.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is sadly what ends up happening in a lot of my DF groups :smith:

Also if you're a goon on excal don't buy poo poo off the MB unless it's dirt cheap just ask a goon to craft it for you.

Ignore this and keep buying the things I'm selling please

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Funnily enough, I really like hot maps a lot, but I can see how it'd get old really fast if those 4 maps are all the new content you had for the full game priced expansion. It'd be like buying stormblood, but expansion ends at yanxia and there's no dungeons and only 1 trial and raid :laffo:

I had two issues with it, one was that I didn't like the entire Mordremoth storyline and thorny jungle stuff at all, which was the entire expansion before LS3 (also the two post-release zones for LS2 before HoT). Second, like Silverwastes (and Orr before it), there was limited stuff you could do alone because almost everything in the new zones was tied to their meta event chains and there were overly aggressive, overpowered, quickly respawning mobs everywhere. It sucked if you played at the wrong time, got the wrong map or played the wrong class/build. Also the ingame map is awful for the vertical HoT maps so figuring out where to go wasn't very fun at first, either.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

orcane posted:

During its best time, WoW used to stock its newest dungeons with gear good enough to start the current raid tiers on normal, and the available gear from uncapped tokens was on the same level. Here you're x weeks worth of capped tokens behind, which are the baseline for current raids

You can start O1S in all 310 dungeon gear, and it's not even like you need tome gear to do it, and you only need 315 average to get into O2S, which is similarly easy. You can get that no problem with a combination of Susano weapon, Lakshmi accessories, crafted gear, your first week of tomestones....

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
you pull with plunge? :thunk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You don't?

I mean, I pull with Onslaught whenever possible. I can't imagine that DRKs don't do the same with Plunge.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 23, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Holyshoot posted:

you pull with plunge? :thunk:

It looks cool

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Truga posted:

Really the only things this game has over gw2 is boss fights (extreme trials and savage raids, basically), crafting is slightly more interesting, and the amount of good soundtrack. But gw2 is slowly getting there in the fights department, now that there's fights where healers and tanks are required they can do far more interesting poo poo.

Combat in gw2 is easily better, wvw is still real good fun, I can craft with materials stored in the bank directly, there's a wardrobe that stores all my armour skins not just a tiny subgroup. Honestly if they ever get boss fights down to the level ff14 had even in 2.x, I'm probably quitting this one. I already log in pretty much exclusively for raids these days, so I'd rather play a game where not playing for a few months doesn't mean I have to grind brand new gear so I can do it again. :shrug:

Or you could just not be a poo poo and use provoke.

Ehhh *wavey hand motion*

They're sufficiently different that they can't really be directly compared I think. GW2 ultimately by its very design cannot do group content like a more traditional holy trinity MMORPG. If you enjoy MMOs for cooperation with friends and doing complex fights that require forethought, you're gonna get more out of FF14. GW2 combat is visceral and satisfying, but also really goddamn simple. It's more of an action RPG, which means that the moment to moment fights in open world content feel like less of an imposition on your time. GW2 is for people who, for one reason or another, spend the majority of their time MMO-ing soloing.

It also really can't be overstated how goddamn dire the character/story writing in GW2 is.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Haquer posted:

It's the floor flipping ninja. Literally his hardest hitting attacks are his autos.

Hey man I'm not trying to pile on, but your chatlog reads like the guy rushed in before you hit it with whatever DRK's ranged thing is? That seems normal to me, honestly; I kind of expect the DPS to run with me to hit a boss around when Tomahawk lands.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Unmend + Plunge in dungeons for sure. Also make sure to be as pedantic as possible if someone hits the boss before you. For the laughs, of course.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

Really the only things this game has over gw2 is boss fights (extreme trials and savage raids, basically), crafting is slightly more interesting, and the amount of good soundtrack. But gw2 is slowly getting there in the fights department, now that there's fights where healers and tanks are required they can do far more interesting poo poo.

I'd say FFXIV's story content is way better than GW2's. ArenaNet isn't very good at characters or pacing. While I appreciate that the player character speaks and has something of a personality in GW2, the rest of the cast are either one-note gimmicks, blank slates, or just really, really annoying, and the villains are always as flat as possible. Even going into PoF, which finally has a villain that isn't an Elder Dragon, I feel like the villain is just kinda generic. Maybe I'll be wrong in how it shakes out, though.

Whether you care about story or not is definitely subjective, but if you do, FFXIV's going to be a much better experience, I think.

I do like GW2's open world, though. I think that's its biggest strength by far, and something that ArenaNet is getting better and better at actually making use of. In FFXIV, I never really feel like I want to go back out into the open world zones for very much, but in GW2, that's the core of the PvE content. I wish GW2 did better with small-group PvE, though--it's a lot easier for me to just do a couple dungeon runs in FFXIV and feel like I had a satisfying experience, and the rate at which new dungeons are added is pretty incredible compared to GW2's occasional trickle of new fractals.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Galaxy brain: pulling with provoke

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

You can start O1S in all 310 dungeon gear, and it's not even like you need tome gear to do it, and you only need 315 average to get into O2S, which is similarly easy. You can get that no problem with a combination of Susano weapon, Lakshmi accessories, crafted gear, your first week of tomestones....

That's why I said I liked early expansion FF14 the best, because there's not that much of a difference between gear- and content tiers yet, ie. you're not really catching up în the first place. It won't be as quick and easy halfway through the expansion, or towards its end, if you start with gear from half a year ago, and if they keep HW's design.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhh *wavey hand motion*

They're sufficiently different that they can't really be directly compared I think. GW2 ultimately by its very design cannot do group content like a more traditional holy trinity MMORPG. If you enjoy MMOs for cooperation with friends and doing complex fights that require forethought, you're gonna get more out of FF14. GW2 combat is visceral and satisfying, but also really goddamn simple. It's more of an action RPG, which means that the moment to moment fights in open world content feel like less of an imposition on your time. GW2 is for people who, for one reason or another, spend the majority of their time MMO-ing soloing.

It also really can't be overstated how goddamn dire the character/story writing in GW2 is.

:thunk:

GW2 plot is very bad, vs. FF14's which is only bad. I agree that story is not GW2's strong point, but have to disagree with the rest of your post.

FF14 encounters are better on average, and more numerous but GW2 has some good and challenging group content and complex fights now, just not many/enough of them compared to a game doing nothing BUT those. So the fact GW2 is lacking them isn't due to fundamental differences in design, it's that their designers sucked/had other priorities. If they restrict how many people you can bring (raids, fractals) or simply require a full instance in the first place (Triple Wurm), the fights can be as involved as holy trinity fights. Their class design allows to have "tanks" and "healers" too, so they can even design actual trinity-based encounters.

The most laughable is your last statement. GW2 is full of options to cooperate and do stuff with friends, except it doesn't require groups or raids for a lot of it (sometimes not even a guild) which is its major draw - you can play "solo" but still interact and cooperate with other people, which is a thing FF14 doesn't do at all. GW2 also does the "play with different level friends" thing far better, the flipside is that GW2's options to do formalized group content with strangers are limited.

And finally, GW2's combat is not just action RPG simple stuff, if you want to be good at it (raid-good or PvP-good), it's very involved while avoiding all the fake complexity of FF14 with its dozens of abilities and combos. This is subjective to some extent but the games are still very much comparable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Haq, I think you're an okay dude but if I'm in a dungeon and Greased Lightning 3 has three seconds left and we just ran into the boss arena and the healer's mana is okay...that boss is getting shoulder tackled.
This is literally the only good take away from this whole conversation.

I mean I'll pull the boss as the healer if someone throws up a 15 second timer before a 4 man boss these days. Easy way to get comms from all the dps ho ho

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

you should have the i330 sword by now unless you've not been playing since launch to be honest, even without savage raiding.

He skipped omega to level another class. I did the same thing, while everyone else was grinding against omega I was speed leveling a healer because it looked like thats what my static would need.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the same about healers who let people die or DPSes who start doing intentionally bad rotations to 'prove a point' to others.

Sorry, I let people die all the time in pub raids, and sometimes I let them stay dead. MP doesn't flow quite as free this expansion (Yet) so a long string of my heaviest cure spells/raises to keep one dps who just doesn't get it up is more likely to cause a full wipe than just loving ignoring that guy.

Renegret posted:

The last time a tank pulled that on me (walked too far forward mid dungeon and accidentally pulled trash) I just sat there and face tanked not giving a poo poo.

I let a moron dps die when he pulled an additional pack that I didn't want pulled yesterday. The healer was at fairly low MP, and since he was at low MP and all my cooldowns were on cycle from a boss and a previous multipull, I just wanted a single pack to recover us both before I went back to pulling everything.

I realize that RESPECT THE CONTENT tanks and HONEST HEALERS are the worst things ever, but sometimes I'm pulling a single pack for mechanics reasons, not my urgent desire to "View the content as the devs intended".

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Sorry, I let people die all the time in pub raids, and sometimes I let them stay dead. MP doesn't flow quite as free this expansion (Yet) so a long string of my heaviest cure spells/raises to keep one dps who just doesn't get it up is more likely to cause a full wipe than just loving ignoring that guy.

I'll raid *that BRD* every 3 minutes if they have refresh slotted :v:

if they haven't jumped off a platform, anyway

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhymenoserous posted:

He skipped omega to level another class. I did the same thing, while everyone else was grinding against omega I was speed leveling a healer because it looked like thats what my static would need.

Your static would also probably appreciate you taking ten minutes to at least kill Exdeath once a week so you can get your 330 weapon two weeks earlier.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You don't?

I mean, I pull with Onslaught whenever possible. I can't imagine that DRKs don't do the same with Plunge.

Plunge, unfortunately, doesn't have an enmity multiplier like Onslaught does and is only 200 potency. Even under Grit that's not going to give you much. You definitely want to precede it with Unmend.

Tomahawk into Onslaught or Onslaught into Overpower, on the other hand, is a ridiculous amount of aggro generation right away because of Onslaught's broken-as-gently caress multiplier. If I have 100 Beast Gauge primed going into a boss, I just use one of those combos, put up Storm's Eye and dive straight into a sexycleave combo, and by the time party aggro catches up the boss is nearly dead.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Your static would also probably appreciate you taking ten minutes to at least kill Exdeath once a week so you can get your 330 weapon two weeks earlier.

My static doesn't care that much because they are all fairly casual and don't sperg out on the reg over video games.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Personally, on trash I'll unmend one enemy then plunge a different one with the express purpose for confusing the gently caress out of the DPS on which they should be focusing.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

IcePhoenix posted:

Alternatively, in the original context of this situation (tank in a 4 man dungeon) it doesn't matter even a little bit.

The micro tomestone from V2S just about hits the floor now anyway since the limiter on that is 3 weeks of creation tomes, not the weapon tomestone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhymenoserous posted:

My static doesn't care that much because they are all fairly casual and don't sperg out on the reg over video games.

I'm not exactly sure how "being appreciative" escalated to "sperging out" but you do you I guess.

Shere posted:

The micro tomestone from V2S just about hits the floor now anyway since the limiter on that is 3 weeks of creation tomes, not the weapon tomestone.

Fair point, though that may not be the case for his extra cool fairly casual group yet.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
personally I don't see how taking 10 minutes a week to kill exdeath once is "grinding" especially when compared to the actual grinding of getting a class to 70

gently caress I need to take a break from that poo poo just so dungeon/potd fatigue doesn't make me quit the game

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao at the sort of sad idiot who gives a poo poo about a dps pulling a boss also trying to unironically employ the 'i'm just too cool to give a poo poo about vidder games' defense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not reviving someone in a raid because you don't have the mana to spare and they keep dying isn't really the same thing. It's kind of necessary if you're running low on MP, especially since any given party probably has 2/3 other people with more MP to spare who can drop a res anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shere posted:

Alternatively, in the original context of this situation (tank in a 4 man dungeon) it doesn't matter even a little bit.

You should greed that at the very least if you have any other jobs at 70 because you'll probably have an excess of tomes in the 4.1 patch cycle.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Rezing people is the worst thing you can do because it doesn't give them time to reflect on why they are such a gently caress up. Don't even slot the skill.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Saint Freak posted:

Galaxy brain: pulling with provoke

All of the knowledge in this universe is but a speck in a neuron of your all-encompassing, all-knowing transcendent space brain: Pulling with Provoke, then using Ultimatum to get hate on the rest of the mobs.

Harrow posted:

I'd say FFXIV's story content is way better than GW2's. ArenaNet isn't very good at characters or pacing. While I appreciate that the player character speaks and has something of a personality in GW2, the rest of the cast are either one-note gimmicks, blank slates, or just really, really annoying, and the villains are always as flat as possible. Even going into PoF, which finally has a villain that isn't an Elder Dragon, I feel like the villain is just kinda generic. Maybe I'll be wrong in how it shakes out, though.

Hey now, the WoL has more personality than GW2's (who's just an extension of Trahearne) in spite of having nothing but one-line replies and emotes. gently caress Treesus I hope he gets Dutch Elm Disease and rots away. actually I gather that he's dead now so maybe the new expansion will be better?

I feel kind of awkward that I made a post saying how pretty FFXIV is (besides some SuperFX-grade NPC texturing), and kicked off an argument about how ugly it is instead. Look, I'm playing on an ultrabook with a GeForce 730M, I'm impressed that I can run anything more demanding than a ROM of Star Fox 64.

Oh yeah, I was so annoyed with the crappy healer in Doma Castle that I forgot to mention hitting level 50 on DRK last night. Holy crap, that final quest. :stare:

FF XIV needs a spinoff where we give in to the DARKNESS or whatever and go on excellent split-personality adventures with Fray picking up loot and telling NPCs to gently caress off.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Truga posted:

Exotic gear is all that's needed except in very high end group content (high level fractals require the resistance thingy that's only on ascended), and the game practically shits money at you at this point. A full berserker set shouldn't be more than a week or two of light play, which is probably also the amount of time it takes to hit level 80. I know my first ever char at game release (i.e. when high level gear is at its expensivest) didn't have any issue gearing up to exotic, which was the best gear at the time.

I've played gw2 for a few years on and off since release, then benched it around the time ffxiv 2.4 released. I recently returned because a) I have 2 expansions worth of content to play through (pof is gonna hit before i'm done with hot) and b) all my friends have picked it up again and obviously I wanna play games with them. My gear is all still current and I can play any content. If I leave FF when I clear o4s and come back for 4.2 or 4.4, I won't even be able to enter the new normal raid through dungeon finder, much less contribute in savage, and the solution to that is to run exdr for like 2 months straight in the meantime. Yes, catching up is easy, but I'd rather play the new bosses than play catchup so I do what I gotta do :shobon:

At least FF14 got the important progression lesson and all the important gear is tokenized tomestonized, and while people in this thread often yell at it being boring and unimaginative, at least you know you're making steady progress and can buy all the upgrades you'll need for the next raid tier comfortably rather than running one thing over and over hoping it drops. Which is incidentally the thing FF14 had much better than GW2 had at release. FF relics are a nice and steady progress and you get rewarded incrementally for your effort. GW2's "relics" (i.e. legendary gear) poo poo used to be subject to way too much RNG luck. You either got the 1000 gold worth 1 in a billion drop or you didn't, tough poo poo lol. GW2's relics are still pointless grind bullshit, no arguing that, but I guess you need bullshit like that in a game with a lack of other bullshit like gear treadmill. :v:

I'm not arguing that basic gearing in GW2 is hard. As I said, they don't have a treadmill there (aside from ascended, which is pretty rude in terms of time gating, but you can circumvent that by spending a lot of ascended materials in the TP. As you noted, it's only really needed for fractals and even then only due to agony resist, but you're really missing out if you don't do fractals, they're fun and about the only challenging content you'll find in GW2 outside of raids).

God help you if you want to play a mesmer though, want that full set of leadership runes that are the ideal rune set for chronomancers? Enjoy doing like... at least 10 if not more runs of Dragon's Stand.

Want that druid backpack from the second most recent LS3 map? I forget how long that takes exactly but I think it's about a month of doing stuff every single day?

Want to wear that neat looking new WvW armor set they added? Hope you've been doing WvW since the game came out, because it wants rank 2000 to wear it.

I think the big thing, come to think of it, is that as time goes on, FF14 nerfs its old grinds to make catch-up easier. Whereas GW2 never does and most things remain as grindy as the day they were introduced.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Captain Oblivious posted:

They've been slowly improving, surprisingly. It's still not GOOD, but at least they seem to have largely stopped taking themselves seriously. Canach needs to come back though. Canach cannot stop being present from the story for any length of time. The people demand more Canach.

Edit: I'm not being ironic, Canach is legitimately great

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

They've been slowly improving, surprisingly. It's still not GOOD, but at least they seem to have largely stopped taking themselves seriously. Canach needs to come back though. Canach cannot stop being present from the story for any length of time. The people demand more Canach.

Edit: I'm not being ironic, Canach is legitimately great

counterpoint: GW2 running animations look like you're ice skating on the ground when you go to change directions rapidly. Which is gross.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

FF XIV needs a spinoff where we give in to the DARKNESS or whatever and go on excellent split-personality adventures with Fray picking up loot and telling NPCs to gently caress off.

That would solve most of my issues with the plot, to be honest. Nothing takes me out of the adventure like realizing I could just murder the hundred-or-so people between me and my goal without breaking a sweat, but I can't because I'm supposed to be the good guy or something?

Oh no Magnai and his buddies have threatened us with slavery, if only we were a band of heavily armed fighters led by an unkillable violence-elemental. Guess we'll go milk his sheep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm not arguing that basic gearing in GW2 is hard. As I said, they don't have a treadmill there (aside from ascended, which is pretty rude in terms of time gating, but you can circumvent that by spending a lot of ascended materials in the TP. As you noted, it's only really needed for fractals and even then only due to agony resist, but you're really missing out if you don't do fractals, they're fun and about the only challenging content you'll find in GW2 outside of raids).

God help you if you want to play a mesmer though, want that full set of leadership runes that are the ideal rune set for chronomancers? Enjoy doing like... at least 10 if not more runs of Dragon's Stand.

Want that druid backpack from the second most recent LS3 map? I forget how long that takes exactly but I think it's about a month of doing stuff every single day?

Want to wear that neat looking new WvW armor set they added? Hope you've been doing WvW since the game came out, because it wants rank 2000 to wear it.

I think the big thing, come to think of it, is that as time goes on, FF14 nerfs its old grinds to make catch-up easier. Whereas GW2 never does and most things remain as grindy as the day they were introduced.

Or make it more grindy because their ~economist~ said x material was too cheap