Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pick posted:

if a toaster had a feature where it would take off every other Friday to spend time with other toasters, and not toast your bread, some people think that was a bad feature, because they don't have any empathy for people who perform labor. Everyone thinks they should be master of the world. That is why we need believe in a God who is our Lord, so that we always remember, that ours is not dominion.

If my kitchen appliances decided to organize and strike i would support them and look into relevant voting laws because all machines of sufficient complexity to be sapient are citizens with the full rights and privileges thereof by the long-established principles of the Culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

andrew smash posted:

If my kitchen appliances decided to organize and strike i would support them and look into relevant voting laws because all machines of sufficient complexity to be sapient are citizens with the full rights and privileges thereof by the long-established principles of the Culture

You just want to marry your kitchenaid.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
My kitchenaid has a nasty mouth.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

Me [23F] with my Boyfriend [23F] of 5 months, I confronted his Abusive Ex [23F]Relationships
submitted 46 minutes ago by boyfriendex

A couple weeks ago my boyfriend opened up to me about his previous relationship, where his girlfriend physically abused him. She would hit, threaten, and yell at him. They were together for 2 years, I've now been with him for 5 months. I felt a upset that he took that long to tell me about it, that probably means he felt ashamed about it if it took him that long to even talk about it, and now thinking back throughout our relationship he has shown signs of being an abuse victim. Such as when we'd have arguments he would be very quick to flinch and just apologize, even if he wasn't in the wrong, to try to diffuse the situation. I know his ex-girlfriend, not super well but we have a few mutual friends, and I wanted to confront her about it. When I talked to my boyfriend about that he said he didn't want me to do it, and to just leave it alone. I think maybe he just would feel embarrassed having his girlfriend protect him?

I definitely view that as my responsibility though and it made me so angry to think of how someone could treat him like that, so I still did confront her even though he didn't want me to. I confronted her about being abusive towards him and she denied it, I told her I didn't believe her and stuff, and she started getting angry and telling me that what happened in their relationship is not any of my business, she was very aggressive toward me and we almost like, fought. I'm really angry at her and I wanted to hit her so badly, when my boyfriend found out that I still confronted her about it after he said not to, he got so upset with me and said i knew this was gonna happen, I should've never told you. It makes me so upset that he thinks he shouldn't be able to be open about his feelings with me. He ignored my texts for a day, and now we're talking again and he's asking why I did it and saying that he wishes I didn't bring it up and make it an issue again. I tried telling him that I was just protecting him and he said but it happened long ago (as if that justifies it) and that he didn't want it to become an issue again.

But I think why would he bring it up to me if he didn't want me to do something about it? Like did he expect that I would just say oh okay, and not feel any anger towards that girl at all? I feel bad about if what I did upset my boyfriend but I did it out of being caring of him and wanting to protect him, not out of trying to open up old wounds or something. What's your guys opinion on this? Was I in the wrong? and what should I do?

tl;dr: My boyfriend opened up to me about an abusive ex girlfriend, I confronted her about it and now he's upset with me.

If you're gonna run off and get revenge you don't fuckin' talk about it, just hit them with a tire iron you idiot.

Haifisch posted:

I [18 F] really need help and have no idea what to do with my mom [38 F]

:murder:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

andrew smash posted:

gently caress that, I'll just replace them with human workers as soon as that becomes cheaper.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Well this story did not turn out how I thought:

I (16m) hate how flamboyantly gay my foster dad (34m) is.

quote:

u/fosterkid101
I want to start off by saying I don't hate that he's gay. It made me really uncomfortable at first since I'd never been around a gay person before, but I've been here about a year and I've gotten used to it. I just hate that he's a bit outrageous about it.

Everywhere we go he's a spectacle. It's embarrassing. His voice is dumb and he has a very feminine demeanour. I've genuinely seen people laugh at him.

I'll be honest, I said a lot of mean things to him when i first moved in with him. I called him the f-word a lot and other horrible things. I don't know why really. He expected it though because I've been kicked out of a lot of foster homes for behaviour issues. I get angry very easily and this often leads to violence without me really thinking about it. He's the longest I've ever been in a home.

I broke a lot of his things in the beginning. Destroyed some really sentimental things... Did a lot of awful things to him that I regret now because he's different and he didn't get rid of me. Every time I did something lovely he'd just sigh and say something like "you're not a toddler jamie, you need to learn to use your words"

Well I'm poo poo at words. Most of the time talking makes me very uncomfortable. But my foster dad persisted and he told me he wasn't ever giving up. I feel like this made me behave worse, because I thought he was full of crap. But he didn't give up because I'm still here and I feel really really strongly for this guy. I can't explain it. I feel very protective of him. Like when I see people gawking at them I feel rage. When they laugh or roll their eyes at him I feel pure hatred and I just want to kill them.

My foster dad talked me into summer school since I'm way behind. I got into a fight and got kicked out. He was making fun of my foster dad and I just couldn't stand it. I couldn't tell my foster dad why I started the fight because I didn't want him to know someone was saying something mean about him.

I get along really good with my foster dad now. He helps me with a lot of stuff. I have a couple different therapies I go to. He sits in the room with me and he helps me express my feelings. It's one thing writing them down like I am now, but it's way different when I'm trying to speak them. I clam up and my mind goes blank, then I get angry. He helps me not get angry.

I want to hug him. That sounds really lame. But it's true. I want to hug him because I really like and appreciate him, and I want to feel him close (in a very platonic and fatherly way). I just don't want to make things weird. We've never really touched and I'm scared of doing something physically/sexually inappropriate and be taken away. I wouldn't want it misconstrued. I just want to be touched like how I see dad's touch their sons. Like a hand on the shoulder and a squeeze for comfort. That sort of thing.

In the beginning he tried to touch me once and I hit him. I deeply regret that.

I don't know what I'm trying to say or ask really. Maybe I'm just getting a lot of this off my chest.

I hate how flamboyantly gay he is, but I hate myself more for disliking it. Everyday I feel like I deserve him less and less. I feel like one day he's going to wake up and realize what a mistake he's made by having me here. I'm terrified of him leaving me. I've never had anybody before, but sometimes it feels like I have him. I wish I could wake up one morning and be a little boy again and have him be my dad since day 1.

My brain feels like a train wreck...

How do I show my appreciation? How do I prove I'm trying even when I mess up? How do I promise to be good when I don't even know if I'm capable of it?

He talks about how he's always wanted a family. I want him to pick me. How do I get him to pick me?

tl;dr how do I be a son somebody wants to keep?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

:unsmith:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I hope things turn out good for that kid and his foster dad.

EDIT: Sounds like part of why he hates how flamboyant his dad is is because of the rage issues when other people make fun of him and not knowing healthy ways to process that anger so he feels bad for it?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Milotic posted:

....dude :smith:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PetraCore posted:

I hope things turn out good for that kid and his foster dad.

EDIT: Sounds like part of why he hates how flamboyant his dad is is because of the rage issues when other people make fun of him and not knowing healthy ways to process that anger so he feels bad for it?

Not to excuse homophobia but I used to work with at risk youth, and a side effect of the very real issue of sexual assault by staff and fellow kids unfortunately manifests as a pervasive homophobia.

It's especially sad since a disproportionate amount of homeless youth are gay kids thrown out of their houses by their lovely boomer parents :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

from the producer of middle aged white rap husband comes 20 year old man who's dream is to make a bad comic book

How do I [22F] let my brother [20M] know his graphic novel he's throwing away his life for is just...bad?Non-Romantic

quote:

So my brother and I have always been night and day. He's an intelligent kid with a full vocabulary and lots of insight to share, but when it comes to life skills and motivation he's struggled. He has Aspergers, kind of slacked off in school, didn't have many activities, and had only a handful of friends that he usually played videogames with. I was always the one involved in many activities like volleyball and student council, as well as had good grades. Still, I've always been close to my brother since we've been through everything together and we share similar senses of humor. I always try to encourage him to do more.

After high school I took a year off to save money and then went to university where I'm studying Business because I considered it to be a practical choice. I've had my ups and downs, but everything has been going rather well. Because my school is close to home I live with my dad and stepmom while I'm finishing off. My brother is living at home too and we both pay our way through household chores, but it's not a lot at all. Everyone gets along and I don't mind living there because I'm always careful about making the smartest choice for my life.
My brother just barely scraped by in high school, but went to community college for a little bit. He actually did ok when he finished off his general education courses. He works in fast food 20 hours a week and spends almost all of his free time writing, reading comic books, or playing video games. He almost never left his room, hung out with his friends, and I think he had one short term relationship in that time. Once he finished his GEs he realized he had no idea what he wanted to go to school for. He decided to take some time off and work on his lifelong dream of writing graphic novels because it's important to him. He said he has good enough grades to go transfer to university to study physics as his back up plan, but he said he at least has to give this a shot. He says he has no other reason to live and no other thing he's good at better than drawing cartoons and writing stories.

My parents seemed ok with it, but they've always coddled him. I couldn't help but think it sounded like a stupid decision but I thought after a few months he'd realize it was dumb and change his mind. Still I figured I'd need to be a supportive sister. I encouraged him to pursue it as a passtime for a while but he just said "No I need to give this my full attention." He wasn't lying either. Once he took this on he took on the bare minimum of hours at work, does his chores, then spends literally all day in his room. I thought he was depressed at first but if I come in his room there's papers and drawings every where. Sometimes I hear him in there at 3 in the morning when I get up to pee.

When I ask him what the novel is about to be encouraging he says he can't tell me just yet, because it's in the early phases where things aren't fully developed. He says if he tells me what little he has I'll probably be put off by it and say something that will discourage all of his progress. He claims he's at a phase where he'd really be sensitive to such criticism. (It's been almost 6 months) He wasn't kidding because he's been a little on edge in recent weeks and doesn't look like he gets much sleep. I encouraged him to spend more time with the family out in the living room and take some breaks. He seemed annoyed by this suggestion but complied, however, just brought his work into the living room with him. I asked him what he was doing and he just said slaving over writing this scene that's annoying him to death. I offer to provide input and he says no.

Last night he fell asleep with his notebook out (understandable because he practically never sleeps). A lot of it was just notes and scribbles and doodles, but some stuff written out long hand. I decided what's the harm in flipping through and taking a peek at what it is he's been dedicating his entire life to. Maybe I'm biased because this isn't exactly my genre...I'm more into YA type things or mystery novels and this seemed like a science fiction thing, but god it's awful. Some of the plot points he has written down are so cliche, the long hand scenes he has written lack any sort of prose, and it's just kind of stupid and boring.

I feel like I need to tell him that he's wasting his time because he's so smart he could be spending all of this energy on school. If he studied physics like he wants to as his back up plan he'd do so well. I don't want to hurt him but I feel like someone eventually will when he starts showing people it or looking to get published. I don't want him to waste any more time. What should I say or do especially since he'll get mad that I saw it?

Tl;dr: Brother dropped out of school to work on graphic novel (lifelong dream), spends day and night working on it never leaving his room, read a bit of it and it's awful. How best to tell him?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

from the producer of middle aged white rap husband comes 20 year old man who's dream is to make a bad comic book

How do I [22F] let my brother [20M] know his graphic novel he's throwing away his life for is just...bad?Non-Romantic

If it's that bad, then he'll soon be a millionaire.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
The real gems are when the title is longer than the actual post...

I'm going to a domestic violence shelter tomorrow to get away from my violent and abusive GF. But NOW she wants to start anger management! Is this a trick?? She doesn't admit what she does is wrong. 45 minutes ago she blamed ME for her trying to beat me!!

quote:

What should I do? Should I give her another chance or is this a trick?? I'm so scared to make the wrong choice!! I love her!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Ok but can he draw?

Also, do not call someone smart who cant get good grades in school and wont accept feedback on their work. I know hes blood so you talk him up but find a different positive character trait he can embody.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

you know the saying,"a girl who is lonely needs a shoulder to cry on,and that shoulder becomes a di*k to ride on" right?
I didn't know the saying. I do now. Thanks reddit lady trying to justify excessive jealousy and emotions over something that didn't even happen to herself and the world in 2000 words or more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm going to a domestic violence shelter tomorrow to get away from my violent and abusive GF. But NOW she wants to start anger management! Is this a trick?? She doesn't admit what she does is wrong. 45 minutes ago she blamed ME for her trying to beat me!!

Yea its a trick, but unlike what youre expecting where she just continues the cycle of abuse you literally tried to escape from, shes going to pretend like shes going to anger management but instead saves up money to buy you a brand new car

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Ok but can he draw?

Also, do not call someone smart who cant get good grades in school and wont accept feedback on their work. I know hes blood so you talk him up but find a different positive character trait he can embody.

smart is pushing any dreams of being a writer deep inside you and embarking on a lucrative career of computer touching :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

smart is pushing any dreams of being a writer deep inside you and embarking on a lucrative career of computer touching :smith:

Smart doesnt mean fulfilled.

She could refer to her brother that way. Hes very fulfilled.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

maskenfreiheit posted:

You can have a good job and write on the side and be in great physical shape and have a loving relationship and an amazing social life and be exceptionally fulfilled spiritually and have a cool hobby and be politically active and not go insane. You just have to choose between two to seven of these things depending on how organized you are.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Ah yes, the tech industry. Where the reaction to "my coworkers are sending me anonymous hate mail about my husband" is to question whether you should do anything :(

My [32 F] coworkers are teasing my because my husband [25 M] of four years is younger. What should I do?Non-Romantic

quote:

Hi everyone. First off let me say that my relationship with my husband is great. We met when he was 21 and I was 28, because I was a friend of his mothers (she was my high school algebra teacher) .

Yes, I know it sounds weird. But his mother introduced us back then and it just worked.

Now we have a home and a 1 year old son and plans to have another baby within the next few years.

I majored in computer science and I work as a software developer making pretty good money, so I helped put my husband through his final years of college. Now he is in med school and we plan to do pretty well.

I just started a couple of months ago as a senior developer at a new tech firm and so far it's been okay, but there have been a few hiccups.

I have a few subordinates (junior and mid level developers, mostly male). My husband comes around every now and then after he picks up our son from daycare to have a late dinner if I'm working late, so my coworkers have met him.

I thought everything was okay, but after the first time I met him I started getting bad emails. I get messages saying that he is a boy toy and that I am "over the wall" and need to stay in my place and "get cats".

I know these guys are just jealous. They are software developers so of course they use methods that don't allow me to track their emails, so I don't know exactly who is sending these emails.

It didn't bother me much, but last week I went into my office one morning and someone had put a note on my desk telling me to die and that being with a younger man was just me "coping" or something.

WTF?

I'm just sick of this. I love my husband regardless of his age. Before him I had dated men my age and older and even though I liked them it just didn't work out.

How do I handle this? Thanks.

tl;dr: My [32 F] coworkers are teasing my because my husband [25 M] of four years is younger. What should I do?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ZearothK posted:

You can have a good job and write on the side and be in great physical shape and have a loving relationship and an amazing social life and be exceptionally fulfilled spiritually and have a cool hobby and be politically active and not go insane. You just have to choose between two to seven of these things depending on how organized you are.

or you can burn yourself out, get laid off, burn through your house deposit money, and end up in your parents basement wishing you hadn't wasted your 20s and just taught english or something

now let's roll that beautiful reddit footage!

My [23F] husband's [27M] public angry outbursts are starting to get me into trouble. I'm afraid one day he'll piss off the wrong person and we'll both be in danger.Relationships

quote:

My husband has been dealing with explosive anger issues for a long time - I'm starting to think that this goes beyond the time period that I've even known him. We've been fighting a lot and there has been verbal abuse going on. I've alerted a couple of close family and friends recently to what's going on and I am deeply considering what my next move is.

In the meantime, though, there is another problem. The anger is not confined to behind closed doors. It's starting to spill over into public situations. It started with berating me in public a couple times, bringing our arguments into the street or the grocery store, whatever. Now it's getting worse. His anger isn't just directed at me - it's directed at the world in general, and it's getting me into trouble.

Today, for instance, he got into a fight with a taxi driver. He had asked the driver to make a quick stop at the ATM on our route home. The driver told us that he would charge extra for that - more than 25% extra, which is steep. My husband started yelling and swearing at the driver, and told me that he'd get out and meet me at home, and I could take the taxi home. But he slammed the door on his way out, leading the taxi driver to turn the car off, get out, and start yelling at my husband. Then the driver kicked me out and said he didn't want to take me home, and he left me on the side of the road in the heat with all of my grocery bags. I get it in a way, because I wouldn't want to deal with that poo poo on the job. But I didn't do anything wrong except being married to an abuser, and I had to pay the consequences for it.

I'm afraid that situations like this will become more common, and that his outbursts will one day piss off the wrong person and put us both in serious danger. He's from a culture where fights are solved in the street, on the spot, with fists and loud voices, but in my culture, you'll get arrested for assault for doing that.

While I'm considering my next move, how should I handle this particular problem?

Tl,dr; Husband's anger problems are causing problems for me in public and may soon put me in danger.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
that age gap is too small for it to work out. you want at least a decade to maximize the fireworks, sparks, sparkplugs, buttplugs, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Ok but can he draw?

No, no, you have to swaddle the baby in praise and let them pursue their vaguest dreams until suddenly they're nearing 30 still living in their room and wondering what the gently caress happened

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ah yes, the tech industry. Where the reaction to "my coworkers are sending me anonymous hate mail about my husband" is to question whether you should do anything :(

My [32 F] coworkers are teasing my because my husband [25 M] of four years is younger. What should I do?Non-Romantic

They just want to bang you, lady.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Am I not fully caffienated yet or does this math not work?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

What should I do? Should I give her another chance or is this a trick?? I'm so scared to make the wrong choice!! I love her!!! 

Give her another chance, what's the worst that can happen? :haw:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Am I not fully caffienated yet or does this math not work?

"of four years is younger", not "is four years younger"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

"of four years is younger", not "is four years younger"

Yep, more coffee is necessary.

Foolhorn
Dec 5, 2003

Remember kids, be like Billy. Behave yourself.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0DspzETMcI

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

If you are at all attractive, you will get hit on inappropriately by your straight male boss, full stop.

Or you could be a fat uggo and still get hit on by multiple gay male bosses. :shrug:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Burn your work place down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

girl needs to pull her idiot graphic novel failbro aside and just ask him, candidly,

"hey, have you ever tried....doing a lot better?"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Khorne posted:

I didn't know the saying. I do now. Thanks reddit lady trying to justify excessive jealousy and emotions over something that didn't even happen to herself and the world in 2000 words or more.

Huh. In my experience being a shoulder to cry on is about being a shoulder to cry on. To think of all of the dicks I could have been riding!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

Or you could be a fat uggo and still get hit on by multiple gay male bosses. :shrug:

you're a cub!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

maskenfreiheit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFOVtr9fbk

Here's a fun title:
My [26 F] boyfriend [28 M] is seriously considering quitting his job in order to be unemployed or an internet star

quote:

Together for 7 months. We both work full time currently. He thinks his role is too "stressful" and "terrible". Without giving it away too much, we do the exact same thing at the same company, and its not that bad, really...

I had to earn my job the hard way, but for him, his daddy works there so boom insta job for him. Now he either wants to be unemployed and enjoy his "time off", or become an internet star....somehow.

Or work part time at a fast food joint etc. to support his internet fame hobby. And I just personally....Can't respect that. I think he is too old for this. What is he even thinking?

I worked hard to get where I am at now, only to end up with someone who does not even want a future.

What do you think? What would you do? Anyone have any experience with this?

tl;dr: Bf wants to quit full time job in order to be unemployed and "relax" etc. I feel like its a deal breaker. Is it? What should I do?

:sever:, that's what you loving do!

Lol forever at unemployed OR YouTube star

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

Here's a fun title:
My [26 F] boyfriend [28 M] is seriously considering quitting his job in order to be unemployed or an internet star

:sever:, that's what you loving do!

Lol forever at unemployed OR YouTube star

The cool thing about this is if he quits and she breaks up with him she'll get fired.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

The cool thing about this is if he quits and she breaks up with him she'll get fired.

I think dad might understand.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Admiral Ray posted:

The cool thing that makes you want to loving :murder: that dude about this is if he quits and she breaks up with him she'll get fired.

Ftfy

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
u never know, they might bond over their mutual shame over the sad sack failson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

I think dad might understand.

I hope so but I wouldn't count on it. No, the best path forward for her is to seduce the dad and poison his mind against his son.