Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Xaerael posted:

You might say that reddit is having...

A crysis of faith.

:smuggo:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

This is what happens when you outsource big portions of a massive project. This is what happens when all experienced developers with shipped games leave your project. This is what happens when you've been stuck in perpetual crunch mode. This is what happens when you promise, collect pre-orders for said promises, and then begin to try and prototype those promises into existence. This is what happens when you have no firm design docs to guide your project. This is what happens when you put graphics above gameplay. This is what happens when you pick your engine for cinematic feel. This is what happens when you constantly redesign existing assets because they "aren't good enough."

Star Citizen is what happens.

Star Citizen is bad?

But Daz told me "Star Citizen is good."

It seems I am at a great crossroad.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

G0RF posted:

Star Citizen is bad?

But Daz told me "Star Citizen is good."

It seems I am at a great crossroad.

Whats your opinion on day 1, mate?

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Like a hard FU guys.. less than 24 hours and like 22 new pages.
As I catch up again, 3.0 better have released and it is the second coming of Crobberts or it better be a poo poo show of massive proportions.
We still win either way right? At least according to page 37, section 3, paragraph B of the Goon SC plan.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fangrim posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster! Thanks to everyone in this thread for immense amounts of LOLs the last couple years!

That being said, I wonder how long it'll take for RSI to release Star Citizen: The Trading Card Game ;o)

Welcome to the thread, friend. :)

Since a card game doesn't require programming talent, probably sooner than anything Star Citizen.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The aftermath

e: Thank god they have a stable foundation for a FPS SIM MMO

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AutismVaccine posted:

It was day 2, says so right in the overlay.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
There's no way today could get more funny.

wait

hey moma list your ships again. lol

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Ups, you are right.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fangrim posted:

@Derek: Have you been at the RSI showfloor yet? I'd love to hear about their reactions to the almighty warlord being there in person.

welcum friendo, to this cozy place where we rub watch the literal end of the 'verse

wha's your star citizen story

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
With applologies to Steve Bell...

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

AP posted:

There's no way today could get more funny.

they have to do it all over again tomorrow lol

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

The Titanic posted:

Welcome to the thread, friend. :)

Since a card game doesn't require programming talent, probably sooner than anything Star Citizen.

They'll fund the game with card sales and create rules and systems for the game later. Design debt is no big deal for them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The stream was great! I love dirt and rocks.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheAgent posted:

imagine having to explain that poo poo on a date lol

Kinda like this but instead of Annie Difranco with a nosering it's that monstrosity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJsEpNIY5IA

e: everytime sc tat dude takes his shirt off Full Burn starts to play

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 23, 2017

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Polish Avenger posted:

They'll fund the game with card sales and create rules and systems for the game later. Design debt is no big deal for them.

Ship fights in SC will be fought with cards. I think Crobber may have watched YuGiOh by accident.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 23, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

yes. I mean, no

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I hope pgabz does a video on the gamescom stuff because I can't be bothered to keep up with the thread when it's moving at this speed.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

I hope CIG has realised, that by entering the trading card market, they are pitching themselves as direct competition to WotC and Magic: The Gathering - The absolute masters at selling pictures to neckbeards and rich kids.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
just play rebel galxy, a game that really exists:

8Z2MJ-F0XF3-RI87*

*=Last letter from "star citizeN"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

XK posted:

If you didn't watch anything beyond the first few minutes, you didn't witness the depth of everything he didn't know. It really was a completely disastrous showing.

Given what's been posted in here and on reddit I don't doubt it, I was only offering my hot take on the questions as I was listening to them and didn't get far enough in for "the good stuff" yet.

XK posted:

I can see where he might've been coming from, if he only saw the first few minutes. The only thing I really took major issue with was blaming the questions. A studio lead should be able to answer even stupid questions. That just didn't sit right with me.

I do agree that he should be able to answer even dumb questions, I'm just noting that of the questions I saw, some were dumb because they were trying to sneak some "oops I shouldn't have said that" preview about 3.0 content out of this guy (ie, "surely this isn't all there is to 3.0, what secret feature are you hiding"), and others were dumb because "there's literally no way anyone at CIG would answer that question honestly off the cuff" (specifically the "biggest blocker" question). And both of those are dumb because both are saying, from the view of the person asking the question, "I haven't been paying attention to anything that's happened in the last 6 years and only view things through a lens of what I want to be true"-- and again, from the small snippet that I've watched so far:

quote:

lmao at the streamer that hears "this is a small portion of 3.0 that's stable that we're happy with" and parses that as "the internal 3.0 build is entirely stable and everyone's happy with it internally"

It's literally seconds between where Chambers finishes his statement about the state of 3.0 and the streamer leads off a question with his reinterpretation that chambers does nothing to correct. It's like a 20 second microcosm of the last 6 years in one condensed burst, it's great.

But yeah, don't get me wrong, bad questions don't excuse someone giving a poo poo interview, it's just that in my own humble opinion the questions I saw were dumb ones to be asking for various reasons.

I will say that while it was ongoing a copy/paste of a question about "where the hell is the 3.0 content" was apparently posed so I'm looking forward to seeing the "I don't know" answer for that one :allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So I didn't watch a lot because of work. Is there some tldw or best of compilation or anything like that yet?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

Kinda like this but instead of Annie Difranco with a nosering it's that monstrosity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJsEpNIY5IA
lol that tattoo of eddie vedder could really be straight up brian chambers

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Codezombie posted:

Sure, spheres are super easy. I suspect even the graduate coders at CIG know how to do the basic deform a cube mesh into a sphere mesh which is the basis of a lot of planetary renderers. Its *real* basic 101 level stuff.
I'm sure you could work out how to do it yourself if you sat down with a bit of paper, (hint it's all about treating the points in the mesh as vectors and the correct normalisation of said vectors)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
making a spherical level in crysis is a loving nightmare

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So I didn't watch a lot because of work. Is there some tldw or best of compilation or anything like that yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

RubberJohnny posted:

He just said they're aiming 3.0 for December now

This will be quiet the Christmas present. :)

Maybe they'll get it to stop crashing by then? Everybody can ride their janky bikes around a test level!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Did they really said they were targeting December for release because I really cant believe they'd say something this stupid.

Like I could totally see them releasing in december but them actually saying it???

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

TheAgent posted:

making a spherical level in crysis is a loving nightmare

Do you think the "3.0 Daymar slice" they are demonstrating is actually spherical? I'd love for a streamer to test it (trying to get to the terminator into night, two players moving away to see any horizon effects...).

Also, looks like :reddit: is quiet because the shills (Lethality, Blobers) are over here http://massivelyop.com/2017/08/22/star-citizen-brought-part-of-3-0-to-gamescom/ bitching about haters in the comments.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol that tattoo of eddie vedder could really be straight up brian chambers

Quick someone edit it (maybe just a cut) to be the 'Brian Chambers' tattoo episode and make Full Burn the song she hears

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did they really said they were targeting December for release because I really cant believe they'd say something this stupid.

Like I could totally see them releasing in december but them actually saying it???

They did not. I watched the whole interview and nothing like that was said.
:reddit: would be in meltdown mode now if they did

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

This is a quality response!

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
What's this about 3.0 going to subscription? Thread moves fast.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Do you think in that moment as he scanned the room, time slowed down and reality collapsed into a single point of clarity, a white infinitely bright dot of pure truth, then... whoosh back to being scum.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

In seriousness I've had several effort posts building up in a notepad. I am not lacking in opinions though in the near term I've some pressing obligations to attend. But I can give you a general summary pretty succinctly.

Star Citizen is good at being bad.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Galarox posted:

With applologies to Steve Bell...

Man if you sold a coffee table book of your stuff I'd be buying day one.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Here are a couple posts with links in:

I'm sure there are more but those were the ones on the tab I had open

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

God drat, thread is glorious as of late... G0RF comes back, Bootcha hangin around threatening to make a documentary (2 weeks!), Derek goes full suck my oval office, fresh Ewe2 jams, Lazrin figures out Derek isn't leader, MoMA posts and no one cares, Galorex paints another masterstroke, three point oh is worse than imagined even citizens know it, CARD GAME WAS NOT A JOKE, stupid avatar shenanigans, dancing cats... and we haven't even gotten to the big livestream finally

paaarp

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Awesome Fidelity posted:

They did not. I watched the whole interview and nothing like that was said.
:reddit: would be in meltdown mode now if they did

I apologize for my inadvertent FUD spreading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Brian Chambers doesn't know. Scoot around on a barren surface of dirt and rocks, you can't get to space under any circumstances. Your altimeter updates every 45 seconds, maybe. Don't try to sit on a jump seat while the ship is in motion. Ride a Nox and it will roll over. Blasting people in the face with a shotgun works sometimes. Ursa rovers can phase through mountain ranges while floating and upside down. The skybox looks the same even if you run off to the dark side of the moon.