Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao this is peak android posting

Well you say that...

coke posted:

You can try using metal files to work the edge down to desired depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

coke posted:

I saw you actually returned it but going back a few pages and for anyone who might encounter this again and for people who likes and can tinker with things to get things done:

You can try using metal files to work the edge down to desired depth.

Something like this would work.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/files/8-inch-half-round-file-96629.html

Then carefully sand it with various grit sandpaper, start with 300 then ends with 1200 grit and possibly finishing it up wet sanding it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-x-11-in-wetdry-sanding-sheets-assortment-10-pc-60297.html

For wet sanding, be careful to prep it properly so you don't get it wet. You can either take it apart first or tape it up properly.

Total cost, less than 10 bucks :awesomelon:

It will also give you a unique look with the bare metal part too, just cover it with industrial strength sharpie if you want to make it darker. You can also vary the layers of sharpie to get different hue.

hell, same

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I might be switching from Verizon to Sprint because Verizon's throttling is a bad sign of what they're gonna do in the future. Is the G5+ 4GB ram worth the price bump up to $299.99? And no I'm not getting the Amazon version that probably has some weird software that will brick my phone if the ads aren't delivered properly.

The extra ram is worth it yes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Samsung Note 8 launch is starting.

I saw one a few days ago, spoiler: it's a S8 with a stylus.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
They're leading the presentation with "Please trust us not to gently caress this up"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I had a Galaxy Note 5 and I was always scared to death of losing the stupid pen. I'm never getting a Note again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol "super phone : 4.9-4.9" screen"

Jesus Christ.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Every drat company now does the thing where they expand out the camera to show all the parts.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It appears that Bluetooth in O is actually worse for some users. Good thing all Android OEMs are in a rush to nix the headphone jack!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Samsung Note 8 launch is starting.

I saw one a few days ago, spoiler: it's a S8 with a stylus.

No no, it's a more expensive Galaxy S8+ with a smaller battery!

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Cakebaker posted:

Not an android guy. Bought a Redmi Note 4X for $114 to cover me until new iPhone's out, holy poo poo is this thing good value for money. Blown away honestly.

Equally mind-blowing is the complete lack of palm rejection. Like it's not that it's poorly implemented, there literally isn't any.
I get proper spot-on handling requires the manufacturer tuning the algorithm specifically by size and model, but is there really not even something basic shipped with the OS itself, to filter out obvious noise? Or has Xiaomi turned it off?

How do I fix this bullshit? I'm willing to get Dr. Jan Itor on the case if that's what it takes (and getting rid of the MIUI crap seems like a nice enough bonus), but especially for such a temp phone/platform I'd rather avoid the hassle of learning how to back up, root, flash and whatnot...

Even just dumbly discarding input from the first few pixels on either side ought to improve the situation a thousandfold. How would one go about that?

I think the easy fix would be a case with some kind of raised edge that prevents you from touching the screen right at the edge.

As I'm guessing you got the phone from someplace where returning it won't be easy/worth your money you don't have much to lose with flashing your phone. I looked on XDA and there are a pile of ROMs for the Redmi Note 4/4X (essentially the same phone as long as you got a Snapdragon and not a Mediatek processor) but I didn't see any explicit mention of palm detection/rejection.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Throttled Verizon is still better than Sprint because at least Verizon is available in places you might be.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

480 is fine it's a loving five inch screen AND if you use Verizon you should be used to getting hosed by them

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Gonna preorder a Note 8 tonight because I just can't stop buying Samsung phones.

I wish they'd put a loving S-Pen in the S9+ and call it a day though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

480 is fine it's a loving five inch screen AND if you use Verizon you should be used to getting hosed by them

This and the previous post too. Sprint is bad enough to make dealing with Verizon worthwhile since Verizon has the wherewithal to do better but chooses not to whereas Sprint is just staggeringly incompetent on all fronts.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
480 on a Pixel XL looks like poo poo. Also, don't forget they're throttling based on bit rate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, as a 16 year VZW customer, this last move was the final straw and I ported to T-Mobile last night. I don't even stream video that often. It was the fact that they had a 6 month campaign over how free their unlimited plan was to lure customers in and get them tied up in device payment plans only to yank out the rig with a day's notice.

T-Mobile's network has finally become credible enough in the last 12 months where it's now a viable option. I have a fully unlocked phone that's free and clear of any payments. I can play the carrier tourist, Verizon has given me zero reasons to remain loyal.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I also switched to tmo yesterday as a test and it's come a long way since just a couple of years ago. It's p good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm on T Mobile and I'm completely happy but, uh, you do realize they throttle video too, right?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They don't give you the option of 720 either

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

datajosh posted:

Gonna preorder a Note 8 tonight because I just can't stop buying Samsung phones.

Why though? Jump on one of the countless deals of an S8 or S8+ half off if you can't stop making bad decisions.

docbeard posted:

I'm on T Mobile and I'm completely happy but, uh, you do realize they throttle video too, right?

If you read his post, you'll see that he seems annoyed Verizon said their unlimited would have no restrictions, then added the video throttling, not that the throttling exists at all.

Anyway, T-Mobile is great, and the few times I've needed them to do something to help me, they've done it. Giving my old grandfathered not eligible plan the half off Pixel deal like a few weeks after it was released, when I've got less than zero leverage (two cheap lines with them), was really nice.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 23, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The One+ plan says HD video. If someone can point me to proof that it's also throttled to 720p, I would like to see that data.

That said, again, it's about what the level of service that is promised at sign up vs reneging on it with zero notice or options to opt out.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

This is amazing. Congrats, I think this is actually new territory for this thread.

Just when I thought griptape couldn't be topped, coke comes along with this.

Thank you coke. Amazing poster.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I lived through many years of Sprint being complete crap and now at least in California, they have improved to be rather good compared to Verizon in the same areas which is surprising. Sure Verizon says you have LTE, but the speeds are closer to 3G if that while Sprint has gotten progressively faster and even the spots that are still 3G are actually fast 3G.

And being on SERO still, I don't think I get throttled video that I can tell. Their new Unlimited plans do say they throttle, but to 1080P still so that's not as terrible as Verizon.

And if you need to, Sprint roams onto Verizon which was helpful when I was up in Alaska where there is nothing but some Verizon and a little AT&T.

The worst thing about Sprint and Verizon though, is the lack of Phone selection if you want anything that doesn't have CDMA still, your screwed. Hopefully that will change in time once LTE takes over 100% but that will be what, another 10+ years from now?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I'm on tmo and regularly travel through the USA for work and literally never have a problem with my connection or speeds.

Granted, I'm mainly in major metro areas. At least in DC, tmo is faster than Verizon.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea the reason I switched from Verizon is because any time I got around a group of people my data speed went to complete poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

The worst thing about Sprint and Verizon though, is the lack of Phone selection if you want anything that doesn't have CDMA still, your screwed. Hopefully that will change in time once LTE takes over 100% but that will be what, another 10+ years from now?

3-5 years. Verizon and ATT are stopping 3G only activations next year in preparation for sun setting their 3g networks in the 2020-2021ish timeframe. 1xRTT on vzw should be gone in a year.

Sprint and US Cellular are the only carriers that aren't threatening to be LTE only soon.

edit last roadmap I see is vzw stopping 2g/3G activations in h2 2018, ATT stopping 3G activations Q4 2018. vzw 2g/3g sunset Q1 2020, att sunset 2022.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 23, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm noticing my Pixel XL running way cooler with 8.0, strangely. Like it doesn't warm up as much under load.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm noticing my Pixel XL running way cooler with 8.0, strangely. Like it doesn't warm up as much under load.

I've been seeing that as well as improved battery life, startup times, app launch/multitask times, etc, on my Pixel and Pixel XL. Oreo is good and cool so far imo.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

RVProfootballer posted:

Why though? Jump on one of the countless deals of an S8 or S8+ half off if you can't stop making bad decisions.
Because I'm already on a S8+ with T-Mobile's Jump on Demand :downs:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hobbesmaster posted:

3-5 years. Verizon and ATT are stopping 3G only activations next year in preparation for sun setting their 3g networks in the 2020-2021ish timeframe. 1xRTT on vzw should be gone in a year.

Sprint and US Cellular are the only carriers that aren't threatening to be LTE only soon.

edit last roadmap I see is vzw stopping 2g/3G activations in h2 2018, ATT stopping 3G activations Q4 2018. vzw 2g/3g sunset Q1 2020, att sunset 2022.

HTC lists the U11 as being Verizon compatible on HTC's own website simply on the strength of their current LTE network, even though the U11 doesn't have CDMA antenna.

It's kind of funny all things considered because Verizon was the one I was most thinking would be squatting on CDMA indefinitely so they could keep their own phone exclusivity fiefdom rolling. US Cellular I always expected them to stay on it because they are a smaller carrier and don't have the money to throw down tower upgrades (my region only got consistent 4g towers like, two years ago). Sprint being the one to clutch onto CDMA as long as humanly possible is actually kind of surprising, I figured they would try and upgrade their poo poo to have one up on Verizon.

vvvvv Honestly fair point.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The problem is you were trying to assign competence to sprint

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DeathSandwich posted:

HTC lists the U11 as being Verizon compatible on HTC's own website simply on the strength of their current LTE network, even though the U11 doesn't have CDMA antenna.

The past one or two new dumbphones from Verizon have been LTE only, so they have already abandoned CDMA comparatively as a requirement for in store sold phones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

May I recommend that if you want a more accurate speedtest, that you run the test again during peak hours.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Rickets posted:

I think the easy fix would be a case with some kind of raised edge that prevents you from touching the screen right at the edge.

As I'm guessing you got the phone from someplace where returning it won't be easy/worth your money you don't have much to lose with flashing your phone. I looked on XDA and there are a pile of ROMs for the Redmi Note 4/4X (essentially the same phone as long as you got a Snapdragon and not a Mediatek processor) but I didn't see any explicit mention of palm detection/rejection.

True, but then once you put a case on a 5.5" phone one-handed use is def veering problematic even without false touches. So it'd sorta solve the problem but cause an equally big one.

And yeah, aliexpress, so def keeping it.
And as far as other guy's suggestion, I'm fully in the apple ecosystem (incl watch because ugh) so that's not realistic :/

Just hoping someone hopefully knows whether there's external software that might what I want. Or if some basic stuff is part of 3rd party ROMs. Or even some API examples in the right direction, imagine it wouldn't be too hard to cook up myself if I just find where to start (not being too keen on properly learning android development...)
No luck whatsoever on Google.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cakebaker posted:

Or even some API examples in the right direction, imagine it wouldn't be too hard to cook up myself if I just find where to start (not being too keen on properly learning android development...)
No luck whatsoever on Google.

You want something like this

https://gist.github.com/bjoernQ/6975256

And then just have it not react to touch events

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I haven't checked in for a few months, is cell phone design still lovely and stagnant?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The essential phone has an almost edge to edge display and is made of ceramic or smth

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

datajosh posted:

I have actually seen more people using Windows Phone in the wild than people using their Note S-Pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does this S-Pen get stuck if you put it in the wrong way?