Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Looking for a game to tide me over until *checks* Monster Hunter Stories, Samus Returns, Etrian Odyssey V, Ultra Sun/Moon, and Radiant Historia, holy gently caress. That's not bad for what's coming up in the pipe. I'm gonna be very busy this holiday season. That said, I need something to take up my time right now - the only thing that's particularly interesting that I haven't already played is Dragon Quest 8, was the 3DS version any good?

DQ8 is very good.

What other games have you played? If you're looking for something that plays close to MH:S, Fossil FIghters: Frontier might fit the bill. Its not as good or charming but it has a lot of very similar systems in play.

(I recently picked it back up to tide me over to the XCOM 2 expansion after playing the Stories demo. Its not a must-buy game but it scratches a similar itch and has some neat stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DQ8 it is :dance:

Recently sapped up all I could from Moon, and I was playing Ever Oasis and SMT4A before that. MH-wise I liked 4U and Generations, though I tend to get burned out on Monster Hunter by the time I hit the endgame. There's a demo for it too, so I'll check Stories out as soon as I get the chance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Stories demo is super good and long, its basically just the first chunk of the game. And your save transfers over to the full game.

The only really annoying part is that you can only get Velocidrome, Kut-ku, Blue Kut-ku, Apatnoth and Azuros in it. Wanted to ride a Bulldrome :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Why, because it'd be cheaper?

Because I already own a n3DSXL but kind of want a n2DSXL for the form factor, and it would have been an excuse to buy one. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's no practical advantage, though, right? (besides ensuring kids can't use the 3D feature, or whatever).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

There's no practical advantage, though, right? (besides ensuring kids can't use the 3D feature, or whatever).

No, the hardware is identical except for the lack of 3D on the n2DSXL.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's considerably lighter in weight, and the microSD slot is much more easily accessible. No other differences really.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Pollyanna posted:

DQ8 it is :dance:

Recently sapped up all I could from Moon, and I was playing Ever Oasis and SMT4A before that. MH-wise I liked 4U and Generations, though I tend to get burned out on Monster Hunter by the time I hit the endgame. There's a demo for it too, so I'll check Stories out as soon as I get the chance.

Now You're Playing With Power(tm) tip: If you open the menu and choose downloadable content, DQ8 saves your game before it tries connecting to check for content. Works even if WiFi is disabled. If you're in a longer dungeon (not that any are really long) or low on battery with no save point in sight, you can use this to quicksave your game. It's definitely not the intended way to use that feature, but I'll be damned if it didn't save me an hour or two from backtracking for save points throughout the course of the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bloodplay it again posted:

Now You're Playing With Power(tm) tip: If you open the menu and choose downloadable content, DQ8 saves your game before it tries connecting to check for content. Works even if WiFi is disabled. If you're in a longer dungeon (not that any are really long) or low on battery with no save point in sight, you can use this to quicksave your game. It's definitely not the intended way to use that feature, but I'll be damned if it didn't save me an hour or two from backtracking for save points throughout the course of the game.

You can just use the actual quick save instead of going through all that. It doesn't force you out of the game.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can just use the actual quick save instead of going through all that. It doesn't force you out of the game.

Doesn't the quick save slot get erased when you load the save? I lost a large chunk of progress using quick save because I had to reload an even earlier save after a dumb game over, which is how I found out about this in the first place.

If you're confident, use quick save and if you're certified bad at games, use my method.

edit: no, quick save is its own slot. I must be thinking of another game.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I haven't had any luck finding a New 3DS LL charging station on Amazon or the few import sites I'm familiar with. Any ideas on where to find one?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

terre packet posted:

I haven't had any luck finding a New 3DS LL charging station on Amazon or the few import sites I'm familiar with. Any ideas on where to find one?

The Nintendo Store is pretty good for this sort of thing. Here's the US store's listing for the charging station.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Nintendo Store added some white New 3DS refurbished units for $125 + $5 shipping.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dehry posted:

The Nintendo Store added some white New 3DS refurbished units for $125 + $5 shipping.
Is this a good option if I'm casually interested in a 3DS/XL/2DSXL to play Zelda LBW and the new Metroid? I've been thinking of getting a New 2DSXL since my last handheld was a DS Lite. I guess this works out to be the same price (with AC adapter) but does have the 3D.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is this a good option if I'm casually interested in a 3DS/XL/2DSXL to play Zelda LBW and the new Metroid? I've been thinking of getting a New 2DSXL since my last handheld was a DS Lite. I guess this works out to be the same price (with AC adapter) but does have the 3D.

If you're remotely interested in the 3D, Link Between Worlds is probably one of the games that makes the best use of it. (And Mario 3D Land)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you're remotely interested in the 3D, Link Between Worlds is probably one of the games that makes the best use of it. (And Mario 3D Land)

Planet Robobot is the best for it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Sakamoto talking about the new old Metroid for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplFeCDAXAM

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Any other games in the last year or so other than MHX and the Spectre Knight DLC? I know Metroid is coming, already preordered it, but anything else? Been out of the loop. I don't like JRPGs, for the most part, if that helps.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 24, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Picross 3D Round 2 is a must buy unless you hate fun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cross-posting from the Switch thread...

:toot: Atlus is setting up a European publishing arm under Sega :toot:

Jacob Nahin (Senior PR Manager at Atlus USA) posted:

It is a strong example of the growth we are experiencing as a company. Publishing in Europe is simply the next step for us. What this means initially for fans is a parity for launch and premium editions. From a business perspective, we’ll be better positioned to address the needs of each market in which we release our titles.

It's good news I guess, but things already seemed pretty good for the consumer with Deep Silver (what with releasing things at the same time as NA, and not introducing any terrible bugs, unlike Ghostlight). I think we were also getting some limited editions? Anyway, if it means more certainty of releases of Atlus games, I'm all for it.

(Probably doesn't mean too much for 3DS since Deep Silver are presumably still handling EOV, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology and SMT: Deep Strange Journey. Unless they have something else in the pipeline.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

irlZaphod posted:

Cross-posting from the Switch thread...

:toot: Atlus is setting up a European publishing arm under Sega :toot:

It's good news I guess, but things already seemed pretty good for the consumer with Deep Silver (what with releasing things at the same time as NA, and not introducing any terrible bugs, unlike Ghostlight). I think we were also getting some limited editions? Anyway, if it means more certainty of releases of Atlus games, I'm all for it.

(Probably doesn't mean too much for 3DS since Deep Silver are presumably still handling EOV, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology and SMT: Deep Strange Journey. Unless they have something else in the pipeline.)

finally , maybe we can get raidou 2 now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Trauma Team, Trauma Team, Trauma Team

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Trauma Team, Trauma Team, Trauma Team

Well, the WiiU is still getting eShop releases... :pray:.

edit: oh wait, Atlus actually reprint their poo poo don't they? I very much doubt it'd happen, but I certainly wouldn't say no to an actual Wii disc :shepspends:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, the WiiU is still getting eShop releases... :pray:.

edit: oh wait, Atlus actually reprint their poo poo don't they? I very much doubt it'd happen, but I certainly wouldn't say no to an actual Wii disc :shepspends:.

It's possible they still might. Atlus is Sega. And when Yakuza Zero was successful for Sega earlier this year, they reprinted Yakuza 1,2,3 and 4 on their respective consoles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was sad to learn no new entries in the Ouendan / Elite Beat Agent series. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhovf_uBjI

New Samus Returns trailer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vintersorg posted:

I was sad to learn no new entries in the Ouendan / Elite Beat Agent series. :(

And now Rhythm Heaven is probably dead with it.:(

That Metroid trailer is good and I can't wait.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

And now Rhythm Heaven is probably dead with it.:(

That Metroid trailer is good and I can't wait.

Sakamoto actually did refute that rumor in an interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-23-returning-to-metroid

quote:

I wanted to ask you about Rhythm Heaven, another game series you've worked on. There was a recent report there would be no more Rhythm Heaven - is this true?

Yoshio Sakamoto: We generally don't comment on those kind of rumours, but I don't remember us ever saying it was over. Generally speaking, if there's an oppurtunity, a motivation, a need, we consider all opportunities and leave the door open. That's all I can say.

So you wouldn't say it was dead?

Yoshio Sakamoto: No, it's not dead.

Although even now I'm not expecting much until Tsunku recovers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Phantasm posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-23-returning-to-metroid

Although even now I'm not expecting much until Tsunku recovers.

Do we know how well Megamix did?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Planet Robobot is the best for it.

I just finished this, it's really rad and good

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Destructoid's response: Yeah but can you really trust anything Sakamoto says?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Aeion abilities look rad as gently caress, can't wait for this new Metroid to come out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This game looks :krad:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It looks like they're going full open world, huh? If so that's awesome as gently caress.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do we know how well Megamix did?

The numbers I keep hearing is 750K, but that is only for Japan no idea about the rest of the world.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miitopia is cool and good. I just beat the Boss, and unlocked the end game+ and Villa stuff. It is indeed a great soundtrack.

Also, I'm meme trash. And made SiIvaGunner my Dark Lord, and Toby Fox the Great Sage.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Manuel Calavera posted:

Miitopia is cool and good. I just beat the Boss, and unlocked the end game+ and Villa stuff. It is indeed a great soundtrack.

Also, I'm meme trash. And made SiIvaGunner my Dark Lord, and Toby Fox the Great Sage.

Seconding this. I've got a bunch of my own Miis in there (Doppelganger Agent Cooper) is my big bad guy, but some of the community creations are hard to resist. Beyoncé as the spoiled princess with Lil' Wayne as her childhood friend who's secretly in love with her was a wonderful happenstance find.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my case, I had Parappa come up as the Prince. And I picked Pearl from Spla2n to be the Princess. With Weird Al as the King.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I had a zombie as the princess which made that whole section hilarious.

Also somehow Grand Moff Tarkin ended up as the little kid in the first town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I had Bobby Hill as the Dark Lord and Alfred Hitchcock as the King. Also the randomly-assigned "lazy" NPC in one of the towns ended up being Jesus.