Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's important to not overthink things. Not everything even needs to add straight dice to things. They succeed with advantage but they aren't doing anything after to boost? That's cool, let them describe succeeding with style. Or maybe there's other bonuses they could get.

Like...think Star Wars. Success with threat or despair? You find an escape route - the trash compactor. Failure with advantage? Greedo doesn't buy your bullshit - but he also doesn't notice you begin to pull your gun out.

The statistics of the dice are actually weighed a bit towards "success with threat," which, imo, fits Star Wars perfectly. You succeed at the thing you were doing! ...You're still in trouble, it's just a new trouble. I mean poo poo, Han Solo more or less never just fails or succeeds - his failures are always with advantage, his successes loving absolutely always with threat.

EDIT: Right until he succeeds with like five advantage and a triumph. I get Lando's meant to be the prototype gambler, but Han Solo is 100% a Gambler Scoundrel who refuses to make any rolls at all without invoking Double or Nothing.

Han Solo is unironically meant to be the gold standard for how you're playing an Edge of the Empire game. Every success just puts you in another problem and every failure just leads to a brand new way out. The example I go to every time is Han chasing after those two stormtroopers on the death star, hes making a Coercion roll to intimidate them into running and succeeds with a tonne of threat. The result is he charges after them and gives everyone else a clear escape route, though when he rounds the corner he comes running straight into a full platoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Super86 posted:

What bothers me are the rest of situations that require a roll. I can't see a quick way to solve the myriad of results you can get from every roll, every time, for every player. At least not without coming up with simplistic generic answers ("you get a boost dice in your next action") every time and just moving on; which in my opinion kills the whole pourpose of the system. Everytime you try to deceive somebody, or to plot a course through hyperspace, to repair something, to navigate with a compass, land your ship with a broken landing gear, try to get information from somebody, hack a computer, bribe a guard, search for a clue, roll to see if your PC knows something, intimidate a civilian, win a game of sabbac, acquire updated navigational charts, encrypt a transmission, convince a wookie that guy over there just insulted him, repair a speeder without proper tools, or try to throw that thermal detonator into that pool over there before it detonates.

You also don't have to do the same stuff every time. Yeah, for something mundane, an Advantage can just be "Oh you <do thing> pretty well, your party has a confidence boost, next person gets a boost die/you recover strain" (and similarly, threat can be disheartening struggles) and leave it at that if you don't have something cool to do. Or if the player has a cool idea, that's easy too.
The system gives you a base to extrapolate from, in my opinion, but I've never felt forced to prepare a whole lot, or to even engage with it fully every single time. Sometimes it's a little flavour thing, sometimes it's a good application of a character concept, or unprecedented luck/fortune with something you're not normally good at, and so forth.

I see it as kind of rolling a high/low number in DnD or something, but independent of success/failure. "Oh you got a 28 to convince the guy? Everyone else sees you do so well with your arguments and they're like WHOA NICE DUDE (advantage). But the guy wasn't gonna be convinced at all from the start. (failure)". Big extrapolation, but yeah.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For me the big thing really is remembering that it doesn't have to equate to new or different dice going somewhere. A success or fail with advantage in social situations could mean you just made a new friend or contact. Success with threat while bribing the doormen just means they're gonna rat you out if they get pressured. You can even use it for introducing new plot hooks! Hey, I got advantage/threat while trying to hack slice their computer systems, and...wait, another hacker slicer was here and left something? Honestly, even just loving stupid dumb fun poo poo can be good. Disadvantage while stealing from someone? You successfully steal their poo poo, and also accidentally steal a picture of them with their loving family.

Honestly, I see the basic boost option as the "I have no idea what else to do" rather then the go-to. It's more fun when you're narrative then mechanical with it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, I see the basic boost option as the "I have no idea what else to do" rather then the go-to. It's more fun when you're narrative then mechanical with it.

This is kind of the key detail for the dice system in general. The goal of having a holistic system for multiple standards of success and failure is to create a durable platform from which to tell a story with winding paths that are naturally connected. In a binary system, failure stops the thread, where as a failure with threat or a failure with advantage or a failure with threat and a triumph all provide opportunities for the story to continue from the previous point without having to carve whole cloth a new plot point from the vapor of the situation. If all else fails, the free boost/threat option exists to cover for the situations where the plot thread is loose or the scene lacks in details.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

One of my favorite things is when players roll Success with Threat on Knowledge checks

whereupon I say "Okay. You know some about this topic...just not as much as you think you do" and mix a nugget of false information into the real information I'm giving them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Probably the hardest scenario to explain to people who aren't familiar with fail-forward systems is a roll that generates no net Success, but advantage. For some reason a lot of newbies can't wrap their minds around "I fail at the thing I was doing, but it's actually not a bad thing?"

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Drone posted:

Probably the hardest scenario to explain to people who aren't familiar with fail-forward systems is a roll that generates no net Success, but advantage. For some reason a lot of newbies can't wrap their minds around "I fail at the thing I was doing, but it's actually not a bad thing?"

It's still pretty weird to people that are familiar with fail-forward systems. A lot of those systems only explicitly have "Yes and", "Yes But" and "No and". When there's a "No But" the narrative is typically under GM control and not player control.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

PupsOfWar posted:

One of my favorite things is when players roll Success with Threat on Knowledge checks

whereupon I say "Okay. You know some about this topic...just not as much as you think you do" and mix a nugget of false information into the real information I'm giving them.

That's neat. I'm stealing this. Thanks!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I personally prefer to say "yes you know something about it, but it's something you didn't want to hear" rather than give players false information. That way lies active metagaming. It's the "reveal an unwelcome truth" thing from *World games.

Honestly you could take the entire GM section of your favorite *World and slot it in for the "I don't know what to do with all these Threats/Despairs" in EotE.

Which, now that I think about it, is exactly what I did last time I ran EotE. *World games are basically primers on how to run improvisational games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ImpactVector posted:

*World games are basically primers on how to run improvisational good games.

This is more my experience. I'm still wet behind the ears on GM'ing but reading through AW and DW has really helped me to sort of expand my own goals for effective GM'ing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drone posted:

This is more my experience. I'm still wet behind the ears on GM'ing but reading through AW and DW has really helped me to sort of expand my own goals for effective GM'ing.

Really, improv is not a bad background for getting better at gaming in general and in particular getting used to GMing. A lot of the lessons and terminology (steamrolling, the Yes/No, And/But/Other Conjunction system, active/inactive choices, building on your fellow players actions rather than tearing them down) teach habits that serve a gaming group well. And I just realized this is the Star Wars thread and not the GM advice thread.

So.

I'll be running a star wars game starting next week: What are some good species to have in a Ravagers-style criminal/revolutionary group?

Also, what are some fun weird Sith beasts?

These two questions are only tangentially related.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

karmicknight posted:

Really, improv is not a bad background for getting better at gaming in general and in particular getting used to GMing. A lot of the lessons and terminology (steamrolling, the Yes/No, And/But/Other Conjunction system, active/inactive choices, building on your fellow players actions rather than tearing them down) (emphasis mine)teach habits that serve a gaming group well. And I just realized this is the Star Wars thread and not the GM advice thread.

See Drone? Other goons in the game with me? Build your fellow players up! STOP FAT-SHAMING MY JEDI!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I personally prefer to say "yes you know something about it, but it's something you didn't want to hear" rather than give players false information. That way lies active metagaming. It's the "reveal an unwelcome truth" thing from *World games.

So it doesn't always work with the group but on knowledge checks i've always left the threat/advantage part up to the players. They invent new information that they think is interesting to interpret that result and the GM can shift that around to be a boon or a burden to whatever their goal is later. Go all in on the metagaming rather than the false information (also its tough coming up with two truths and a lie on the spot half the time), have the player contribute to your world building at the same time.

ProfessorCirno posted:

You can even use it for introducing new plot hooks! Hey, I got advantage/threat while trying to hack slice their computer systems, and...wait, another hacker slicer was here and left something? Honestly, even just loving stupid dumb fun poo poo can be good. Disadvantage while stealing from someone? You successfully steal their poo poo, and also accidentally steal a picture of them with their loving family.

This is the critical part of it that makes the whole system and effort worthwhile. The dice rolls and your players and GM interpretations of them fuels the future narrative. There is a reason that the default spend use for a triumph on a charm check is to make the character they're talking to a recurring NPC and ally. This is how you get stories of the Imperial Agent turning traitor and joining the rebellion or turning a character away from the dark side because you've built this up from your past experiences with them.

FuriousAngle posted:

See Drone? Other goons in the game with me? Build your fellow players up! STOP FAT-SHAMING MY JEDI!

:sad:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
My favourite series of rolls was in a F&D game where my padawan was trying to cut down a Stormtrooper with her lightsaber. We both kept rolling fail/advantage so while the rest of the party dealt with the main firefight the two of us were just going in circles, stumbling and tripping over with every step and failing to do literally anything else.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain_Person posted:

My favourite series of rolls was in a F&D game where my padawan was trying to cut down a Stormtrooper with her lightsaber. We both kept rolling fail/advantage so while the rest of the party dealt with the main firefight the two of us were just going in circles, stumbling and tripping over with every step and failing to do literally anything else.

Isn't that basically the Finn/Baton Trooper fight from Force Awakens?

No, wait, TR-8R was decisively winning that fight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't that basically the Finn/Baton Trooper fight from Force Awakens?

No, wait, TR-8R was decisively winning that fight.

TR-8R is what happens when a player takes a vigilance check to try and find where the Empire are chasing his ally and gets a despair.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kingcom posted:

So it doesn't always work with the group but on knowledge checks i've always left the threat/advantage part up to the players. They invent new information that they think is interesting to interpret that result and the GM can shift that around to be a boon or a burden to whatever their goal is later. Go all in on the metagaming rather than the false information (also its tough coming up with two truths and a lie on the spot half the time), have the player contribute to your world building at the same time.

This just popped into my head so I don't know how it would work in play, but: Have the players make up as many facts as the roll has both Threat and Advantage, and the GM decides which of them are false, up to the number of Threat rolled. So with three Advantage, two Threat you'd have the players make up five facts and not tell them which two you decide are wrong.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This just popped into my head so I don't know how it would work in play, but: Have the players make up as many facts as the roll has both Threat and Advantage, and the GM decides which of them are false, up to the number of Threat rolled. So with three Advantage, two Threat you'd have the players make up five facts and not tell them which two you decide are wrong.

Yeah that would be a fun way to do it if your group are pretty quick minded at coming up with random information, definitely want to give that a try.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

karmicknight posted:

I'll be running a star wars game starting next week: What are some good species to have in a Ravagers-style criminal/revolutionary group?

Ortolans and bigger Ortolans.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

If you check the tally, you'll note that I have made zero reference to that, last session at least, for precisely that reason
:goonsay:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

karmicknight posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Megawok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

"However, it's not clear if he was ever spawned on the remaining live servers, making his canon status ambiguous."

lol are you loving serious, wookiepedia? This poo poo was made as a joke because they were about to lose the license. Of course it was never meant to be canon. Why are you entertaining the thought?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

karmicknight posted:

a toydarian in a long coat so that when he's hovering it looks like he is just a tall dude

boba fett's friend that had his head replaced with a cybernetic cannon

a cat lady disguised as a different species of cat lady (since there's like eight)

Bigger Luke

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 24, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Covok posted:

lol are you loving serious, wookiepedia?

The answer is always yes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

PupsOfWar posted:

Bigger Luke

It worked for Star Trek

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My favorite thing about giant Spock is that they didn't actually kill him off at the end of the episode, they just left a giant Spock Clone on another planet to live with the giant scientist who cloned him to do Giant Spock things.

Which means he could conceivably be still out there in the universe in Next Gen's timeline and I am totally using that if I ever run Star Trek Adventures.

My second favorite thing about giant Spock is that it's one of Walter Koenig's writing credits for Star Trek.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Bigger Luke

So... a scientist found an old clone lab and decided he'd clone ten Luke Skywalkers, but he tripped and spilled his notes everywhere and when he re-assembled the pages he messed up the order and the calculations came out wrong. So instead of making 10x 1:1 ratio Luke clones he made 1 10:1 ratio Luke clone and called it Luuke?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Bigger Luke is sadly way dumber than that. He's just maybe an inch or two taller.

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/bigger-luke

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

I just experienced a paradigm shift. Why does everything smell like pennies on burnt toast?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New article up about the Spy sourcebook.

New species details on the Melitto

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mystic book: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/22/unlimited-power/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, they're really doubling down on cranking out all the career books. We still haven't gotten a second location book for either AoR or F&D yet

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jivjov posted:

Man, they're really doubling down on cranking out all the career books. We still haven't gotten a second location book for either AoR or F&D yet

I appreciate them trying to complete the class line quickly. I don't think they'll lose the license any time soon but poo poo happens and I'd like the line to be complete if it did happen.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

8one6 posted:

I appreciate them trying to complete the class line quickly. I don't think they'll lose the license any time soon but poo poo happens and I'd like the line to be complete if it did happen.

loving same. I have a complete collection and I don't want it to end until all the career books are out. It will feel incomplete otherwise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, absolutely agreed. And hey, we're now only one career book away. The 5th and 6th AoR career splats are in the pipe, and now we have the 5th F&D one

I hope that Dawn of the Rebellion book or whatever it's called in the first of many like it to come, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/25/a-galaxy-on-fire/

New preview article for Dawn of Rebellion

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Man, it's amazing to think it took us this long to get stats for the Death Star.

I'm glad they didn't even try to assign a credit cost to the Death Star.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but this thing is pretty much unkillable.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zoro posted:

Man, it's amazing to think it took us this long to get stats for the Death Star.

I'm glad they didn't even try to assign a credit cost to the Death Star.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but this thing is pretty much unkillable.

Can't one shot with a high enough base damage and a good crit rating blow it? That's pretty true to the source material after all.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they assigned a credit cost to the Death Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

PantsOptional posted:

Can't one shot with a high enough base damage and a good crit rating blow it? That's pretty true to the source material after all.

I don't know, can it? I never really learned the starship rules.

Phi230 posted:

I wish they assigned a credit cost to the Death Star

It'd have to be ridiculous, thought. Like, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 credits.