Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Affi posted:

I wish we'd have company on company fights and not only Lance on Lance.

Maybe in SP campaign mode? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

I am still doing really well with my 3xMedium 1xHeavy lance in the 25mil slot. The mediums are so good. The pilot with Evasive and Bulwark is my friend.

I lost one game yesterday, but I put it down to me making a dumb mistake, I flubbed a move and ended a turn with my pristine Kintaro facing away from the enemy lance, unable to make a shot. It died to backshots instantly.

Edit: The AC20 in the Gamescom build is looking cool.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

The BRRRRRT level of each autocannon depends on the manufacturer. Some fire single shots, some fire a couple of rounds, some fire giant streams of death.

This should provide some nice variety when you build the inevitable all AC/20s line up to do an urban fight with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Affi posted:

Ugh gently caress no.

Turn based BT just bogs down badly with more than 8 units involved. gently caress so do most turn based games.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Affi posted:

have you ever attempted to actually do one of these

it sucksssss

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lost another game to Phros last night. I misread my Fury gauge (95% instead of the 100) I thought I had, and instead of Alpha Striking his Atlas with mine, I instead slammed all of my Atlas's weapons into his Bulwarked Atlas. A Shameful Display!

One good takeaway is that Breaching Shot is Good. I had Apex in an Urbie, and her AC 10 did some serious work. I might consider putting her in a Panther or something next time so that Ammo isn't a concern.

Bulwark is enormously strong on heavily armored mechs if you can get them in position. Dealing with it is definitely something everyone needs to consider when constructing a lance.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Captain Foo posted:

have you ever attempted to actually do one of these

it sucksssss

It's a lot more tolerable when you've got more vehicles than mechs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hot take: I don't like 'fury'.

Not the concept, just the name. This isn't Space Marine, my mechwarriors are not having a moment of superhuman effort powered by rage. 'Inspire' was fine.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Rygar201 posted:

Lost another game to Phros last night. I misread my Fury gauge (95% instead of the 100) I thought I had, and instead of Alpha Striking his Atlas with mine, I instead slammed all of my Atlas's weapons into his Bulwarked Atlas. A Shameful Display!

One good takeaway is that Breaching Shot is Good. I had Apex in an Urbie, and her AC 10 did some serious work. I might consider putting her in a Panther or something next time so that Ammo isn't a concern.

Bulwark is enormously strong on heavily armored mechs if you can get them in position. Dealing with it is definitely something everyone needs to consider when constructing a lance.

I sprinted an atlas with the Evade/Bulwark pilot into an amazing position on the third round of this game, and then he never needed to move again until the end of the combat nearly. Bulwark made it an absolute beast and it made crossing the river to engage my griffons which were sniping away really scary.

If an atlas gets to bulwark to many times in a row it is super scary.

Also Guts makes a really really big difference now. I am looking at the guts stat higher than any other when picking pilots at this point.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 23, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alchenar posted:

Hot take: I don't like 'fury'.

Not the concept, just the name. This isn't Space Marine, my mechwarriors are not having a moment of superhuman effort powered by rage. 'Inspire' was fine.

Call it Heroism, or Heroic Inspiration or something. Because it promotes your pilot to Protagonist status so they get to chump their opposition and ignore all the negative modifiers affecting their shots. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Meter of Badassdom.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
I was campaigning hard for 'Focus'. I was outvoted.

Also re: company scale gameplay... I have thoughts as to how to do that in a reasonable, fun way. But it's definitely well after launch, and I can't even see it being something we start talking about for early DLC. There's a *lot* of unsolved design stuff between us and a fun company-scale battle.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

isildur posted:

Also re: company scale gameplay... I have thoughts as to how to do that in a reasonable, fun way. But it's definitely well after launch, and I can't even see it being something we start talking about for early DLC. There's a *lot* of unsolved design stuff between us and a fun company-scale battle.

My biggest fear with this kind of conflict would be the time taken. I am already seeing players in the multiplayer camp out and just bulwark + reserve at the edge of sensor range so that they get the best first engagement. Those games take ages :(

Are there any plans to do anything to multiplayer past just making it deathmatch? There isn't really any incentive not to bulwark camp.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It's fury because they're mad about their buds getting hit, it's fine.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

vorebane posted:

It's fury because they're mad about their buds getting hit, it's fine.

Why would they be mad? Fewer hands to divide the shares :homebrew:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

My biggest fear with this kind of conflict would be the time taken. I am already seeing players in the multiplayer camp out and just bulwark + reserve at the edge of sensor range so that they get the best first engagement. Those games take ages :(

Are there any plans to do anything to multiplayer past just making it deathmatch? There isn't really any incentive not to bulwark camp.

I've more or less stopped playing randoms because of this. There needs to be something to encourage people to advance into each other. I'm sure you could do this with game modes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Even just something like turn limit and tie breaking mechanism

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've more or less stopped playing randoms because of this. There needs to be something to encourage people to advance into each other. I'm sure you could do this with game modes.

Haha, what about a PUBG style slowly shrinking play area.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phrosphor posted:

Haha, what about a PUBG style slowly shrinking play area.

People in PUBG move at the same rate (barring using multiple boosters, or finding a car), where as mechs have drastically different rates of movement. Slower mechs would then have to start moving to avoid the gas sooner than the faster, more evasive mechs.

Maybe an attack/defend mode where you swap sides (using the squad you picked for both phases, so you have to choose whether you want it to be more attacky or more defendy at the expense of the other. Winner is whoever scores the most damage overall to the objective and enemy team?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I want to see if the player-base evolves on this naturally. This timidly throwing missiles at each other might work itself out in time. I think a tutorial would need to stress the importance decisive action and the benefits of pushing the assault.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Rygar201 posted:

Why would they be mad? Fewer hands to divide the shares :homebrew:
Everyone owes everyone else money obviously.

The tricky part is arranging the betting to go towards long term payments.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

vorebane posted:

Everyone owes everyone else money obviously.

The tricky part is arranging the betting to go towards long term payments.

All wagers are held in escrow by the captain. It also makes it so people really want to protect him/her on missions. :v:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tried to fit in a game over my lunch break and ended up against another 'run away and only engage with lrms' player. It took 40 minutes before we actually engaged properly. I had to quit because I ran out of time and had to go back to work. Having him refuse to fight made me very frustrated. He was going to win the game anyway, so well done him, but it was the most boring experience.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Tried to fit in a game over my lunch break and ended up against another 'run away and only engage with lrms' player. It took 40 minutes before we actually engaged properly. I had to quit because I ran out of time and had to go back to work. Having him refuse to fight made me very frustrated. He was going to win the game anyway, so well done him, but it was the most boring experience.

I see the match timer as the obvious choice. I can avoid timer-less rooms like I did No Heat/Unlimited Ammo [NH/UA] rooms in MW4. While "Regular rules" was the niche option, it made for a more enjoyable game and let those who want something else stay there. If their is a match timer, how should the game determine the winner?

If anyone else is having the same issues with opponents wasting your time, we're posting about them here on the official forums. Add your stories and suggestions!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Amechwarrior posted:

I see the match timer as the obvious choice. I can avoid timer-less rooms like I did No Heat/Unlimited Ammo [NH/UA] rooms in MW4. While "Regular rules" was the niche option, it made for a more enjoyable game and let those who want something else stay there. If their is a match timer, how should the game determine the winner?

If anyone else is having the same issues with opponents wasting your time, we're posting about them here on the official forums. Add your stories and suggestions!

Points per damage done, with some kind of bonus for blowing up a second or killing a mech, with the bonus sized based on the mech destroyed (so blowing up an Atlas and a Locust wouldn't be equal). Don't display the score until after the game to try and keep people from running out the clock after getting a three point lead and kiting with their lights.

A "movement meta" in most games sucks. It makes the technically correct course of action playing grab-rear end until you see a sufficient advantage worth striking over, and the only other defense usually being camping. I have to say I think this is the first time I've heard of one outside of shooters? I'm sure a lot of it will go away once the full combat systems are in place and balanced, but you'll never stop the trolls who want to just waste your time even if it costs them the match, in any game. :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Points per damage done, with some kind of bonus for blowing up a second or killing a mech, with the bonus sized based on the mech destroyed (so blowing up an Atlas and a Locust wouldn't be equal). Don't display the score until after the game to try and keep people from running out the clock after getting a three point lead and kiting with their lights.

This will just encourage skulking around the edge of the sensor radius to plink sensor locked mechs. If I can time the match out at 30 minutes or whatever and I've done 75 damage with my LRMs while you dinged me once with a pair of PPCs, I win.

edit: the real way to end this is actual mission objectives. You can't run around and constantly break contact if I'm marching on the building I need to flatten or whatever. My only fear is that when these are inevitably added that most of the public games will be skirmish because people just LOVE their no objective death match for reasons I can't fathom.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't disagree that objectives are necessary, and a better solution. You could probably just plop down three capture points on each map. One close-ish to each teams spawn and one in the middle. Bam, now the guy who controls the middle is winning. Maybe have it so the points stay toggled to whoever was last in the zone so you don't have to keep a mech back to cap the one near your spawn and it's vulnerable to end runs. I dunno.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

There is nothing like bulwark hunchbacks basically killing an entire lance between the two of them. Like thanks for sensor locking some quickdraw i brought in and LRMing that instead. Real poo poo gets done at AC20 range.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

My only fear is that when these are inevitably added that most of the public games will be skirmish because people just LOVE their no objective death match for reasons I can't fathom.

Objectives mean their carefully honed team of fast edge campers lose the advantage. And since that's The Meta it is clearly what all future balance decisions should be based on. Having to think and use strategy is scary and means a potential loss, so it must be avoided at all costs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man do I love the way this game plays. I'm sure whoever called first called it X-Com with Mechs meant that as a slight, but I wrung more than a hundred hours out of the new X-Coms and the basic gameplay loop in BT has the same feel to it: slim, intuitive, and addictive. I already find myself wondering how many sequels they make with the engine because I know the first single player campaign won't be enough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

isildur posted:

quote:

Fury

Split the difference, have it be something different for every backstory choice with the same mechanical benefit.

Fury for the Free Worlder, Inspiration for the Davion, Noblesse Oblige Payday for the Steiner, Focus for the Kuritan, Loyalty for the Liao. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Split the difference, have it be something different for every backstory choice with the same mechanical benefit.

Fury for the Free Worlder, Inspiration for the Davion, Noblesse Oblige Payday for the Steiner, Focus for the Kuritan, Loyalty for the Liao. :v:

Hustle, Loyalty and Respect.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

[/quote]

Batshit crazy of the Clanners.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DatonKallandor posted:

Batshit crazy of the Clanners.

Their's would clearly be "Think of the Glory". Or if you want to add a layer of abstraction (but still have it make sense to people who don't get the reference), just go with Edge.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Zaodai posted:

truth, love and courage

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

sebmojo posted:

truth, love and courage

and of course, Death Cannon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mary Sue for certain mercenary commands.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

sebmojo posted:

truth, love and courage

Clear eyes/Full Hearts/Can't lose

Or

Make Agrimechs Great Again

Finally got a chance to try out multiplayer and I have to agree with everything posted about edge campers and other crap. It's not fun and honestly I'm going to just avoid multiplayer. This pains me since 70% of the reason I backed the game was for multiplayer. This is coming from someone who has played megamek campaign severs for years and had to put up with some cheesy bullshit in that time.

At least the single player will be good.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Raged posted:

Clear eyes/Full Hearts/Can't lose

Or

Make Agrimechs Great Again

Finally got a chance to try out multiplayer and I have to agree with everything posted about edge campers and other crap. It's not fun and honestly I'm going to just avoid multiplayer. This pains me since 70% of the reason I backed the game was for multiplayer. This is coming from someone who has played megamek campaign severs for years and had to put up with some cheesy bullshit in that time.

At least the single player will be good.

My dude, it is beta. Just wait until the next update

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Find people to play with who aren't douches. I've been playing with an old buddy of mine who I used to TT with. I'm guessing there's a goon discord somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Find people to play with who aren't douches. I've been playing with an old buddy of mine who I used to TT with. I'm guessing there's a goon discord somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the Discord is linked in this thread