Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

So as to not emptyquote, the whole WoL is a primal thing would be really obvious and boring and open more than a few plot holes w/r/t the Scions and such.

Add em to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The last fight of the last expansion will either be WoL fighting a primal version of themselves, or WoL becomes a primal and hulks out from the prayers of every living thing on Hydaelin so we can have a Gurren Lagan fight with the moon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't we already get the "goes super saiyan primal via people's prayer" thing with Louie-louie anyway?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

So as to not emptyquote, the whole WoL is a primal thing would be really obvious and boring and open more than a few plot holes w/r/t the Scions and such.

Well yeah, but it's still lots of fun to put on the ol' tinfoil hat and imagine what terrible things could be if you just squint hard enough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't we already get the "goes super saiyan primal via people's prayer" thing with Louie-louie anyway?

That's where people got the idea that the WoL could accidentally/involuntarily primalize

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

That's where people got the idea that the WoL could accidentally/involuntarily primalize

Oh, I assumed people were talking more about like Good King Moggle Mog-style stuff and not Shiva-style stuff. "The WoL was a primal all along" vs "The WoL becomes, I don't know, Triple Bahamut."

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just started playing this on PS4 and god drat the controls are weird to get used to using. Is there a magic time on the east coast to try to get a character rolled onto Excalibur or if I decide to buy it after I hit 35 in the free demo I should just pay the transfer fee to play awful games with goons?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Virigoth posted:

I just started playing this on PS4 and god drat the controls are weird to get used to using. Is there a magic time on the east coast to try to get a character rolled onto Excalibur or if I decide to buy it after I hit 35 in the free demo I should just pay the transfer fee to play awful games with goons?

I like the controller controls a lot, but if you end up deciding you just can't get used to them, you can just plug in a USB keyboard/mouse to your PS4 and play that way. You probably should anyways to be able to type in chat.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The crowning achievement of FFXIV's development is going to be a random quest generator that has you running between different npcs, forever. There will be no ending.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

If you're losing aggro, someone is playing wrong. You can argue the RDM for not using diversion/lucid, or the ninja for not shading you, or the tank because it should also be literally impossible to lose threat outside a few weird conditions.

In group pulls overpower is also more dps than single target combos anyways, and even without the defiance emnity bonus, overpower has a bonus built in.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos himself wasn't insanely strong compared to the average mortal. He just had the ability to use the echo go predict attacks. Which will always give him an advantage against those that would attack him.

I think Zenos actually was superpowerful by mortal standards, but you're right on the money that the WoL him/herself is not. As the main character, you defeat godlike threats by being A) arbitrarily immune to their usually-deployed win button and B) using agility and cunning to evade - not simply overpower - their massively dangerous attacks. Shiva could facetank an imperial battleship, but you can't facetank Shiva.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If a tank loses aggro outside of like the very first GCD of the fight its the tank's fault. In dungeon bosses diversion mostly turns "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning and then watch closely to maybe use it again near the end" into "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning then forget about it".

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cheetah7071 posted:

If a tank loses aggro outside of like the very first GCD of the fight its the tank's fault. In dungeon bosses diversion mostly turns "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning and then watch closely to maybe use it again near the end" into "I use my aggro combo once at the beginning then forget about it".

Yep! I've seen tanks (even goons) keep padding their SICK DPS (it's not sick) for a solid minute while I'm a pixel away from taking aggro. It's dumb.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

Uh, I mean. I play RDM, my buddy plays WAR, and is rarely not in DPS stance after the initial pull to grab aggro. I basically never hit diversion. Only time I can manage to do that is on a boss pull if he's in deliverance and I open up with a bunch of crits, or it's one of those weird two-boss fights and I'm attacking the wrong target for too long. Throw in an aggro ability every so often and you should be good.

The DPS having to stop dealing damage so that you can do it instead is going to slow down the run and probably annoy the healer. If they're good enough to pull aggro off you, there's zero chance you'll be able to pull enough DPS as a tank to make up the difference compared to what they're losing by throttling themselves back to make sure they don't pull off you.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
I'm new to the game and my character has 32 monk and 32 white mage right now. I'm trying to decide which side to push on with. It seems, right now at least, that the only time the wm gets to heal is in dungeons which is the only place I've seen grouping. How hard will it be for a wm to mostly solo to 70 compared to a monk?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Titus Vespasian posted:

I'm new to the game and my character has 32 monk and 32 white mage right now. I'm trying to decide which side to push on with. It seems, right now at least, that the only time the wm gets to heal is in dungeons which is the only place I've seen grouping. How hard will it be for a wm to mostly solo to 70 compared to a monk?

solo content can be completed easily by any class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That said, if you intend to level both, whm has an easier time leveling without quests because they get shorter dungeon queues. Using your quest exp on mnk might make sense for that reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Titus Vespasian posted:

WHM is basically the easy-but-slow solo. You will never ever die or be at any risk of failing any piece of content but will have to spend a lot of time pounding on certain enemies who can't actually kill you.

That said it makes up for it by getting basically instant dungeon queues which saves a shitload of time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I do it twice and that's mostly enough to hold for an entire fight.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Titus Vespasian posted:

I have the opposite advice as the rest. Level the monk first so you can leverage the MSQ experience towards your first level 70. Healers and tanks are piss easy to level entirely through dungeons. DPS are a pain in the rear end to level outside of POTD and PVP (If you win).

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

isk posted:

Yep! I've seen tanks (even goons) keep padding their SICK DPS (it's not sick) for a solid minute while I'm a pixel away from taking aggro. It's dumb.

If you are a pixel away from pulling but did not pull aggro the tanks aggro management was excellent. Any threat past what is needed to maintain aggro is wasted.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
tomahawk-onslaught/equilibrium-overpower-thrill of battle/upheaval-BB combo into path combo

you'll never lose aggro again

isk
Oct 3, 2007

funkymonks posted:

If you are a pixel away from pulling but did not pull aggro the tanks aggro management was excellent. Any threat past what is needed to maintain aggro is wasted.

I should clarify that I was only autoattacking for that minute. It was garbage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

If you pull aggro that means you win. You're gonna win until you get tired of winning.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If the dps has to stop attacking so the tank can maintain agro (and the dps made an honest effort to use enmity tools) then the tank is 100% at fault, full stop. If the dps didn't use Diversion then the tank is still mostly at fault. And if I'm still tanking 30 seconds later and eat a tank buster we're going to have a chat.

I am all for tanks going balls to the wall on dps, but that comes after they have a threat lead. I'm very understanding of newbie tanks who are still finding the balance there too. But if you're tanking ex roulette and I pull hate on the entire trash pack after a couple GCDs of Sword Blender or a minute into a boss pull, you have flunked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bleu posted:

If you pull aggro that means you win. You're gonna win until you get tired of winning.

I like when I win despite using diversion and lucid dreaming.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I enjoy being the last person standing in a raid wipe because I elusive jump for movement four times and am rock bottom in aggro despite being second place DPS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

it still doesn't really unless you think that Zenos is a primal - there's no way a handful of guards could take him out or threaten him in any way but the WoL + a few allies are able to best him.

if you need a story explanation for why the WoL doesn't just loving blam any rando who threatens them it's because it's not terribly heroic and you're trying to earn the faith of the citizenry, not just kill baddies.

Really if you think about it, MSQ is just a beast tribe reputation grind, but the beast tribes in question is eorzean nation states or what have you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aw man I was so excited to have an O3S kill that was above median last night but it somehow dropped 4 percentage points from 52 to 48 in a single day

Does fflogs sometimes gently caress up the percentage at first and this is just a reversion to the correct value, or did 4% of players just upload parses better than me since last night?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Add em to the list.

My thinking is more that whatever Scion you run into in the level 10-ish quests would have taken one look at you with their magic aether-detecting goggles, noticed you were a primal, and shanked you while you were still a squishy pugilist wearing level 5 Au Ra refugee rags. Not like you've done any great deeds that might give you pause at that point in time either.

the idea of the WoL getting involuntary primal-hijacked in a crisis is one I hadn't thought of, and makes a lot of sense.

Also, I don't really mess with parsers, so I'll admit that I enjoy making the little aggro bar under my name shoot past the (other) DPS and occasionally the tank before I pop LD.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think anyone that subscribes to the primal theory thinks the WoL is literally a primal though, just that faith in FF14 can sometimes manifest itself physically and a lot of people have faith in the WoL. Spirit bomb tech

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

isk posted:

I should clarify that I was only autoattacking for that minute. It was garbage.

Comment retracted!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

The WoL is incredibly strong in any 1-on-1 circumstances but can and will be overwhelmed by large numbers. The WoL bringing friends along helps diminish this but it only takes one fuckup and that time your tank hyper-pulled half of a level and hosed up becomes real.

Large number of mooks are more dangerous to the WoL than single powerful forces. WoL can take Zenos but would eventually get crushed if they tried to solo the entire Doman Garlean forces without help. Bringing help along is why you fought manageable numbers and not crushing numbers.

It's the problem with being a One Man Army. Sure you can take on armies with ease and bend gods over your knee but there's only one of you (or group of you in the case of duties and raids :v: ) An army is going to have an easier time taking and holding an objective or several objectives and do it far quicker than a single unless said single person has cataclysmic power (which doesn't bode well for your objectives unless you don't care if they're blown up.)

Even then a single person can only be in a single theater of battle at a time. An army can be in several and even though that single person may easily win that theater, they'll lose the war because they can't be everywhere at once.

To use the Doma Castle problem, the WoL (and friends) could take care of the flying gunships, they could take care of the garrison or they could protect the Doman enclave from retaliation. Three jobs, three places to be at the same time, no way the WoL can do it on their own. Hence everyone else's help :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Comment retracted!

All good, I wasn't clear enough

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I just did 20 levels of DRK in... 6 days? God, there are a lot of dumb players in DF. :suicide:
(i'm one of them) :(

I'm curious: what do you all think is happening in MSQ fights where they story says "you solo'd a Primal! good job!" and the gameplay says "ha you would've been pasted if it weren't for the 3 other WoLs no one talks about"? I can't decide between "light-clones generated by Hydaelyn," "future/alternate selves helping out" or "actually multiple WoLs but my character's just a huge glory-hogging dickbag."

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
You're the only Warrior of Light, you're not the only Temper-immune Echo wielder. These are the other players in the story.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ghost of Starman posted:

I just did 20 levels of DRK in... 6 days? God, there are a lot of dumb players in DF. :suicide:
(i'm one of them) :(

I'm curious: what do you all think is happening in MSQ fights where they story says "you solo'd a Primal! good job!" and the gameplay says "ha you would've been pasted if it weren't for the 3 other WoLs no one talks about"? I can't decide between "light-clones generated by Hydaelyn," "future/alternate selves helping out" or "actually multiple WoLs but my character's just a huge glory-hogging dickbag."

Your character solo'd it and everyone else is only there because it's a mmo.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

he acted like a little poo poo but so did you by basically going "no i wont cooperate or improve myself"
you should maximize your damage but if youre losing threat, what the point? its just that a dungeon isnt super punishing for your mistakes

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

IcePhoenix posted:

Your static would also probably appreciate you taking ten minutes to at least kill Exdeath once a week so you can get your 330 weapon two weeks earlier.

Actually to do 4 you had to do 1-3 and I didn't have the kind of free time (was switching jobs etc) to sit down for an hour + and hope pubbies weren't poo poo for a couple weeks outside of trying to grind DRK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't even know if that's true for the first time you run it, but you can definitely just run 4 once you have your completion.

source: literally just ran 4