Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah they're not allowed, oh well. i remember when men were men and studs were metal and it was 2005.

do they even make boots nowadays that don't look completely idiotic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Bruh having a boot that looks like a rainbow threw up on it is extremely my poo poo. Powder blue, hot pink and florescent lime green all on my poo poo please

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

yeah they're not allowed, oh well. i remember when men were men and studs were metal and it was 2005.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com

Since you're playing on turf stay away from blade-style studs like those on your Predators. They're much more likely to grab in the turf when you don't want them to.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

they still make puma kings and addidas world cups

which are the two best boots ever

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
these things seem alright, they at least have some K leather and are light like the idiot pink and green boots that look like clown shoes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
over a hundred dollars for a pair of umbros lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

these things seem alright, they at least have some K leather and are light like the idiot pink and green boots that look like clown shoes.

Pro-tip, if you're in the US it's usually cheaper to order boots from the UK Pro Direct site with the current exchange rate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
these also seem alright and are made at least partially from kangaroos. i could live with blue i guess.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
fyi, lots of people wear FG boots on turf and are just fine

i hope i didn't jinx myself

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

fyi, lots of people wear FG boots on turf and are just fine

i hope i didn't jinx myself

He currently has SG boots that would be really bad for turf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

these also seem alright and are made at least partially from kangaroos. i could live with blue i guess.

That's a huge discount on those, drat.

I wear Mizuno boots and have nothing but good things to say about them.

That being said, I don't like the stud pattern on those for wearing on turf.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

bewbies posted:

https://www.soccer.com/shop/details/nike-premier-fg-soccer-cleat-black-summit-white-orange-blaze_A50897

Kangaroo, black

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Go legit old school.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Puma-King-Top-MII-Nat-FG-Brown-Red-Blast-Mens-Soccer-Cleats-Firm-Ground-Brown-Red-Blast-131229.aspx

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Shrapnig posted:

He currently has SG boots that would be really bad for turf.

yea, i'm just saying it's fine to buy FG if you play on turf esp. if you're some casual player like all of us

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

These are excellent, is there any meaningful difference between the two other than a foldy-tongue?

also the answer is almost certainly no but they don't make replacement nylon studs for vintage predators, do they?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I remember back when I was in school and played soccer and rugby I had the one set of boots and had to switch out the whole set of studs between each game since rugby only allowed metal studs and soccer only allowed plastic.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I used to wear some umbro specials black boots because they were cheap and durable. After that switched to some flashy silver Nike mercurials that fell apart in no time. Now I'm using some neon blue and orange puma Evo speed because they were cheap and durable. In conclusion, wear flashy or not flashy boots, as long as they're cheap and durable.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I've never had a problem with blades on turf. I wore studs once and hated how they felt on the bottom of my feet.

I bought the mid-range Umbro Medusas. I like them a lot, but haven't played with them for very long, so no clue on durability. My Reebok SpringFits lasted nine years. I loving loved those things.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
in the states, a lot of places won't let you use metal studs. I know it's not allowed in the youth league I coach, and I definitely remember it not being allowed in high school. None of the casual leagues I play in now allow it either. I also wouldn't be keen on it for turf since your knee will blow up as already mentioned.

I got headbutted in the ribs last night by some clown defender. I got the ball in traffic on a hard pass, and got through 2 defenders by flicking it up and over. I chest it and some idiot comes flying in from the side and puts the crown of his head just under my armpit.

Feels wonderful now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm bad and play once a week at most, and my boots are Nike Bomba turf shoes. Comfortable enough, and pretty inexpensive, you can find a pair online from $40-80, depending on if you can find clearance sales.

I had these until a few years ago when someone broke into my car and stole my sports bag:

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I've got something like these and they've been great on turf fields

http://www.zappos.com/p/adidas-copa-17-3-tf-core-black-footwear-white/product/8801256/color/585041

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i've only liked those TF shoes on the hairy turf you would see at indoor places. didn't like them on the black pellet turfs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

hahaha our coach is a moron

just sent round a message basically saying "um yeah you know how I sent out the details for this week's match (including the time of the game, opposition, ground details etc)? actually the season ended last week. we didn't make the finals and idk if there's an end-of-season cup or anything so i'll let you know. when does everyone want to do the end of season party?"

what i want to know is how the gently caress he had details for "this week's game" considering i checked the competition website and yep the last round was last week...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I bought these because I have no self control.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I bought these because I have no self control.

Treat yoself

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

$275 boots(retail, made in Italy) for $125, indeed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i went to the soccer store yesterday and wound up with the umbro medusas for like $85. they're quite nice boots, very light.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
strained my groin practicing goal kicks before I play a couple of games back in england...

marvelous, at least I have about two weeks to recover.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Turf fields suck.

In other news
Me an a band of merry souls from the colonies are heading to England to play Football during the first half of September.
It's an Over 60's team (I think?) and we've got a bunch of games booked.
Monday 4th - in a tournament - Us vs Grimsby Invitation, and then Us vs Grimsby Ancient Mariners
Wednesday 6th - off to Boston to play the Pilgrim Grandfathers
Thursday 7th - now in London, we play the Crystal Palace & Dulwich Super Vets
sometime around the 13th we play Chester FC

I'm told we have a few more games lined up, don't have the details yet.
All the hosting teams (along with my mob) are set up for some serious socializing after each match.

I've got 4 days off in London, I've already grabbed a ticket for the Emirates game, then I'm off to either Fulham or QPR for the afternoon game.

I am soooooooooooo looking forward to this.

Turf fields suck

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm gunna be in London for 4 days can I just walk around and find a pick up game like I do with basketball in the states

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

I'm gunna be in London for 4 days can I just walk around and find a pick up game like I do with basketball in the states

probably, but you'd be better off finding a five-a-side center and seeing if any teams need a ringer.

im not a londoner so I dont know where these are, or if you can just wander down to hackney marshes on of weekend and find a game

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I couldn't resist ordering these:

At 65 euros, they're supposed to be good value for money.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Slipped on wet turf field and immediately felt a pop in my lower back. Now I'm at home waiting for the chirp to open

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Anyone ever tried to get good at free kicks? This is a skill that I hardly ever see people get good at but seems like it would be pretty useful.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Huskalator posted:

Anyone ever tried to get good at free kicks? This is a skill that I hardly ever see people get good at but seems like it would be pretty useful.

Most teams usually have one or two guys who are already good at them so I don't really bother. The only person I've played with who I saw actively practice free kicks was actually under contract for a couple years(never played) with the Metrostars so it was his job to practice them back then.

I do practice corner kicks but that's because I like to use a very flat, driven delivery and if I don't practice that technique regularly I tend to lose it a bit.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The only set piece I’m good at is the long flat throw-in.

I did once score from a corner but I was like 13. Felt really cool though! completely accidental

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Huskalator posted:

I've been working on that for 40 years now.
Even score every once and a while.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Huskalator posted:

I'm half-decent. I can put stuff in the far corner reliably and I'm ok but not great at putting something over a wall. Save/Sky or goal really depends on how lucky I get when I strike it. I learned that plant leg/foot positioning is incredibly important. It dictates how your swing leg will come through, where you're going to strike the ball, and the toes of your plant foot are generally a good indicator of where the ball is going to end up. Depending on how you swing your leg, some people like to say plant close to the ball, some people like to say a little bit of space. It's good to experiment and find what distance works.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there was a time when I was actually quite good at FKs relative to my skill level. I went out and hit some this weekend and man is that ever a perishable skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so, I play LB, LWB and LW typically. I've been asked to come in and practice with a team that plays in some Sunday league. I'm not technically gifted, but I'm really, really fast and I'm pretty good at getting in behind or picking up through balls. I play with an older midfielder who basically sends balls down the line to me and makes it all a footrace....which is great for me. Im fast and I run all day. Well this team bought in a new fullback who I've been matched against. He's much better than me, but I found myself beating him to the ball regularly and being able to control it. So I get the ball in-stride typically and I just take off down the line, usually with a knock past or a little jab step to get the defender to freeze his feet. I don't have alot tbh cause I run by everyone.

Anyway, i get the ball and take it down to the corner and lay it off or cut inside. So I do that, i get a goal, assist the rest of the time poo poo dies around the box.

after the practice game we're all talking and poo poo, and I say something like oh im still the fastest i beat you down the line, and the FB goes I let you beat me, im giving you the outside....

why would a defender give someone the outside? Like tactically why would he want do that?

I've never played soccer or been coached so I don't know dick about tactics, but i would infer that if i can stack the fullback, like get infront of him and get the ball well...aren't I in a really strong position?

why would he give me the outside and allow me to beat him down the line? what should i do in this position?

or is he just talking poo poo