Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'd like to see that notification, but have it dismissable with an option to have it come up at a specific time period. The snooze option is good, but 2 hours is far too short for my taste since I gave up my phone janitor position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

I'm these screenshots the background app already has a drat notification that it is running

Yup, like this poo poo.

This is not loving helpful at all, Google.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol that one's really bad

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have the same thing with Signal.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Another good thing about tmo, I get a more consistent data connection so my battery is doing better

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nothing in Developer Options to turn that persistent notification on and off?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I haven't seen this. What are some common apps it shows up for?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I got it with Gmail today though in every case the notification disappeared on its own.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Nothing in Developer Options to turn that persistent notification on and off?

Nope.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That is seriously a huge problem and hopefully they realize it and fix it

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

There is an XDA Fix using ADB.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

There is an XDA Fix using ADB.

This completely blocks all system notifications which is not very good

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That it does, and it's from the DP which also may not work for the official release.

Hopefully Google will fix this officially in a week or so.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You can hide individual persistent notifications by swiping to the left or right and then unselecting the show icon option. Doesn't work for all notifications but should work for background apps doubling up on things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

You can hide individual persistent notifications by swiping to the left or right and then unselecting the show icon option. Doesn't work for all notifications but should work for background apps doubling up on things.

That doesn't work. If I do that for, say, WhatsApp as per my screenshot, I have then blocked all WhatsApp notifications.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't have that notification for whatsapp. I tried to see if I could get it to pop up and nada

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Skarsnik posted:

I get it for Facebook messenger when there is a chat head open, soundcloud, Eurosport casting, vimeo casting, wwe app casting, etc etc..

Llama too but that's ancient so if there is a better way of doing it it's hardly likely to be on it

e: oh, and Google play music when it is casting :rolleyes:

I just now tried google play music casting and no notification. Same with Netflix, no notification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Considering the point of this is to name and shame app developers I'm not sure Google's going to be willing to walk this back.

I would be interested to know what it is about WhatsApp that makes it need to run in the background. If you prevent it from running in the background does it both stop the notification and allow the app to work? I don't have any apps that insist on running in the background to check for myself.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Considering the point of this is to name and shame app developers I'm not sure Google's going to be willing to walk this back.

It does it for spotify lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like I see what they're going for but popping up a notification saying an app is running in the background while there is a notification for that app as well is extremely loving stupid

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

That doesn't work. If I do that for, say, WhatsApp as per my screenshot, I have then blocked all WhatsApp notifications.

That's true. But for other apps (I'm running a DNS based adblock), it can be useful.

Also you can snooze (hide) the Android system notification for up to 2 hours - maybe there's something you can automate with something like Tasker?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I don't have persistent notifications for anything ama

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm getting persistent notifications with light flow. Though I assume that's the purpose with light flow since it needs to be perpetually running in the background.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

I don't have persistent notifications for anything ama

what's it like living such a boring phone life

I've got ACR and Tasker, so this'll be fun when my upgrade comes along.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah it's really loving weird that only some goons are getting that notification

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blue Train posted:

This completely blocks all system notifications which is not very good

lol, leave it to XDA to suggest a solution that's worse than the problem

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I guess I can shrink the stupid thing down a bit, that's... something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

evleaks says October 5th for the Pixel 2 / 2XL.

I know, sticking their neck out with that prediction.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In other Oreo news, I was just doing the same thing I do every day on my Pixel XL and listening to a little Google Play Music while I worked. When I was done I woke the phone to stop playback but the pause button was unresponsive on the app and I paused the music on the notification and swiped the notification away.

The entire phone then became unresponsive. The back and home keys did nothing but the overview button brought up split screen mode and activated Chrome beneath GPM. I dragged that down and away and pushing the overview button again allowed me to swipe away GPM. Unfortunately from that point on, every app had the half of the Chrome windown covering the bottom half of the screen. Even after I used the option to restart Nova in the settings the bottom half of the screen showed my last Chrome window with the icons and app pullup over top of it. It was present inside any app I opened.

I would've taken a screenshot but the whole image was covered in personal information, both on the desktop behind Chrome and in the Chrome window itself.

I had to restart the phone to get it to work. Kind of a far cry from where my Pixel was a week ago.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

On the other hand, don't do the beta two-step and enjoy watching all the early adopters brick their phones with the new update for about a month.

RZA Encryption posted:

It's final software. Public release. If there's anything /that/ bad in it you should never buy a non-iphone again.

LastInLine posted:

In other Oreo news, I was just doing the same thing I do every day on my Pixel XL and listening to a little Google Play Music while I worked. When I was done I woke the phone to stop playback but the pause button was unresponsive on the app and I paused the music on the notification and swiped the notification away.

The entire phone then became unresponsive. The back and home keys did nothing but the overview button brought up split screen mode and activated Chrome beneath GPM. I dragged that down and away and pushing the overview button again allowed me to swipe away GPM. Unfortunately from that point on, every app had the half of the Chrome windown covering the bottom half of the screen. Even after I used the option to restart Nova in the settings the bottom half of the screen showed my last Chrome window with the icons and app pullup over top of it. It was present inside any app I opened.

I would've taken a screenshot but the whole image was covered in personal information, both on the desktop behind Chrome and in the Chrome window itself.

I had to restart the phone to get it to work. Kind of a far cry from where my Pixel was a week ago.

lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Really gets that noggin' joggin'

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a lot of other criticisms about the software beyond that bizarre failure (which, it should be noted, I haven't experienced anything like since the early Lollipop days of the Nexus 5). It just doesn't feel finished in any meaningful way.

The colored notifications are truly terrible, especially on things which change the lockscreen to cover art since the notifications themselves take their colors from that same cover art allowing them to get lost in the background. Beyond that obvious usability mistake, the visual incongruity and poor legibility of colored notifications should've been enough to see what a bad idea it was.

The auto fill providers sounds like a great idea until you realize that Chrome isn't compatible yet which means you can't use it on the web or apps which use web views. I'm not sure how such a thing is allowed to happen but there it is.

I was under the impression that notifications were supposed to be more manageable under Oreo with notification channels, dots, snoozing, etc. but to my mind they're more unwieldy and difficult to understand than they were before. I'm not even sure where half of the stuff is managed and you've got priority, dots, lights, sounds, and channels all to deal with and all, as far as I know, in separate places. For an OS which is built around acting on notifications, I feel like this is less than ideal.

The new ambient display is terrible. Why yes, definitely take away the ability to read notifications even though I explicitly said I want to be able to see all content on my lockscreen, that way it's entirely useless. Why would I want information when I could have the silhouette of an icon at a quarter of the normal size? I mean, it's not like there are multiple apps using an icon shaped like a chat bubble or anything and of course you can't use color to distinguish between similarly shaped icons.

Then of course there's still Google bullshit to deal with like randomly moving elements around like the date in the notification shade or removing the next alarm from the ambient display because gently caress you. Let's change DND again because we have in every release and point release since 6.0. Unlike Lollipop which was buggy and unfinished, this doesn't seem to be introducing a new style to the OS so I'm puzzled as to how so many bad decisions came to be included in it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 24, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I changed my mind I'm getting an Iphone

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I actually like the new ambient display. It's a lot more crisp and readable.
I haven't had these notification issues, yet. And I think oreo might have fixed the idle 5ghz wifi keep alive that was killing my battery life.

All around, pretty good so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I actually like the new ambient display. It's a lot more crisp and readable.

Readability is something that's pretty important when there's literally not a single word on the screen.

I guess that's not entirely fair, the clock is crisper for what that's worth and yes, the old ambient display really was blurry (no antialiasing) but to claim that it's more readable when there's nothing to read on the screen is disingenuous at best and laugable on its face.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 24, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So are all of you that got Oreo on it using the Beta program in some form either coming from using the Beta, or using it just to quickly get Oreo?

Has anyone done a clean full image flash and seen if they have all these issues? Or at least done a hard reset since installing the update?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

So are all of you that got Oreo on it using the Beta program in some form either coming from using the Beta, or using it just to quickly get Oreo?

Has anyone done a clean full image flash and seen if they have all these issues? Or at least done a hard reset since installing the update?

I've never had to reset my phone after an update before and no, this is not coming from the beta for me, it's just a straight up stable-to-stable update.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Chiming in to say: no problems here. I haven't seen the "running in the background" notification, but I wouldn't care.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

I used the beta program to go straight from the latest public N release to the public O release, beta has never touched my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Readability is something that's pretty important when there's literally not a single word on the screen.

I guess that's not entirely fair, the clock is crisper for what that's worth and yes, the old ambient display really was blurry (no antialiasing) but to claim that it's more readable when there's nothing to read on the screen is disingenuous at best and laugable on its face.

I don't know if it's the same for other apps but Allo will display messages real nicely, and they're readable as all hell.