Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
While on Dead Space (I love talking dead space) one of the things it does right is every gun is fun to use. Well almost. How the hell do you make a lovely flamethrower in a zombie game?!

Also the custom guns were about the only thing in three I loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

World Famous W posted:

While on Dead Space (I love talking dead space) one of the things it does right is every gun is fun to use. Well almost. How the hell do you make a lovely flamethrower in a zombie game?!

Also the custom guns were about the only thing in three I loved.

You can make custom flamethrowers in DS3 that do cool things like shoot liquid nitrogen or ultra-hot chemical fire, and no matter what combination of special attachments and upgrade chips you use they're still complete garbage.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Aug 24, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can make custom flamethrowers in DS3 that do cool things like shoot liquid nitrogen or ultra-hot chemical fire, and no matter what combination of special attachments and upgrade chips you use they're still complete garbage.

Flamethrowers being awful in video games seems to be the rule rather than the exception. I think there's even a page on tv tropes about it.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't get very far into the first Dead Space due to the utter slowness of the character. I was getting annoyed with it but was assuming it was a case where you'd upgrade poo poo and go faster... never opened it again after my brother told me nope, that's the speed you always go at.

Did you know you can run in the game by holding a shoulder button (or the corresponding key) or was that still too slow for you?

Coincidentally I'm replaying Dead Space right now and what pisses me off is how inaccurate the foot-stomp is. I barely hit anything on first or second try. I think it's not even always the same foot, probably depending on the position of the camera.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cythereal posted:

Flamethrowers being awful in video games seems to be the rule rather than the exception. I think there's even a page on tv tropes about it.

Unless an enemy has one, in which case it's a terrifying superweapon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it's the game Inversion that actually has an absolutely monstrous flame thrower.

Only time the fallout 4 flamer was cool was early in the game when I found one dropped at random while I got assaulted by a pack of ghouls at night in a storm and between the fire and the radioactive lightning it looked wicked as gently caress.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Ugh, I forgot why I stopped playing total warhammer. Everything feels tediously uphill at the start and it's just kind of exhausting. Battles may be fun but it's just such a pain the rear end working out what the right target is and oh no, I picked wrong and now I'm completely outmanoeuvred and I've lost the campaign, or at least my desire to keep playing it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The flame chemical thrower in Bioshock is 2/3rds awful and 1/3rd brutal electric death to anything mechanical. I guess that makes it 2/3rds of a thing dragging the game down?

Meanwhile in Bioshock 2, I'm unreasonably annoyed that you can telekinesis every corpse in the game and carry it all over the level like a big ol' putrefying ragdoll but NOT the Adam-filled corpses which become the focal point of the tower defense minigame you have to go through--twice, even--before the harvester girls will deign to count as being rescued. No, those are magical corpses superglued to the floor, apparently. Game, I am trying to engage with you using the tools I am provided but when a simple solution gets quashed for arbitrary reasons it really puts a damper on things.

I persevere for the moment, but I can already tell at some point I'm going to get fed up with it and either start ignoring that part of the game altogether, or just cracking them open and drinking their magic plasmid juice because idgaf if Ken Levine wags his finger at me or not.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FeastForCows posted:

Did you know you can run in the game by holding a shoulder button (or the corresponding key) or was that still too slow for you?

I honestly can't tell you, it's been so long. :shrug: I would wager I knew there was a run button and it was still too slow, but I dunno.

Content: if Cities: Skylines is beginning to irritate me with it's road placement system. When I'm not trying to solve the mystery of why Road A and Road B won't connect together, I'm trying to wrap my head around what the blue circles, lines, and dotted lines are trying to convey.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I think the main problem with flamethrowers is that they look really cool from a third person perspective, and really awful from a first person one- either they're unreasonably tiny or they're unusably huge. Area of effect moves in general look way more dramatic when they're seen from a distance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

I think the main problem with flamethrowers is that they look really cool from a third person perspective, and really awful from a first person one- either they're unreasonably tiny or they're unusably huge. Area of effect moves in general look way more dramatic when they're seen from a distance.

I find the main problem with them is the way enemies respond to them (or don't). When an enemy has a flamethrower, you've immediately got to get away from them and take cover, because that thing will cause you serious problems. When you have a flamethrower, the enemies don't react like that. They'll sometimes just basically ignore it and keep shooting you regardless, other times they'll run around randomly (or straight towards you) which turns them into hazards that you have to avoid. Add the limited range and reduced vision while using it and it comes out as a weapon that's hard to use and more trouble than it's worth. It should be a way to clear a large group of enemies quickly, but it isn't.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only good flamethrower I've used in recent memory was in fallout 4 when I got a legendary one whose special effect was to do a flat amount of extra ice damage, and since the flamethrower does constant damage it basically quadrupled how powerful it was, in spite of the fact that it was ice damage on a flamethrower and made no sense

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RS2 has a super satisfying flamethrower, puff blasts in through doorways and down trenches, light people up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Far Cry's flamethrowers have been good, mostly because of how fire spreads. Lighting everything ablaze is great for flushing out enemies.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flamethrowers tend to suffer from shotgun syndrome, as in a lot of games make it a short range weapon. It's a freakin' flameTHROWER, not a welding torch.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Almost every game with a shotgun acts as if bird/buck shot is the only ammo to exist. Where are my slugs?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Far Cry's flamethrowers have been good, mostly because of how fire spreads. Lighting everything ablaze is great for flushing out enemies.

This one's true- I remember Far Cry 3 having a really excellent flamethrower. Again, mostly because of fire being awesome, enemies being fragile but quick to react, and that sweet bit where you burn a marijuana crop and the colours get brighter.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

World Famous W posted:

Almost every game with a shotgun acts as if bird/buck shot is the only ammo to exist. Where are my slugs?

Yeah, slug ammo was the best in Battlefield 3 and 4. People would get so confused and/or mad when you shot their head off with a shotgun from 40 meters away. :laugh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just remembered that Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had shotguns that let terrorists essentially wall hack. They had simply insane penetration values.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

marshmallow creep posted:

I just remembered that Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had shotguns that let terrorists essentially wall hack. They had simply insane penetration values.

That's what your mom said about me.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

bewilderment posted:

I did this a bunch and it's basically because there's no blindfire in the game - you have to aim to shoot. If you hit the fire button without aiming then you just whack with your spear. The crafting/ammo button is right next to the aim button so the game is finicky about when you've dropped out of crafting mode and have gone into aiming mode, meaning a bunch of times you think you want to shoot ASAP but haha nope you just flailed at the air like an idiot.

Still a really good game though.

Definitely the best game I have played since Bloodborne.

This particular quirk is usually hilarious because you'll be all crouched low around a herd, sneaking around picking off poo poo like a ninja and then this happens and it's such a goofy, perfect way to be all "I'M RIGHT HERE :v: :v: :v:"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Somfin posted:

This one's true- I remember Far Cry 3 having a really excellent flamethrower. Again, mostly because of fire being awesome, enemies being fragile but quick to react, and that sweet bit where you burn a marijuana crop and the colours get brighter.

The far cry games are best when you load up all your slots with nothing but fire and explosive weapons, and leave every outpost looking like they were holding tryouts for the apocalypse.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The far cry games are best when you load up all your slots with nothing but fire and explosive weapons, and leave every outpost looking like they were holding tryouts for the apocalypse.

I'm suddenly reminded of the side mission in Far Cry 3 where you had to hunt wild dogs with an RPG.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Somfin posted:

For another good flamethrower, Axiom Verge had a pretty solid one, I thought. It was good damage, range, and speed.

If I remember correctly, though, it was pretty well hidden and getting the password to it is kind of obtuse.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the flamethrower in Axiom Verge was the most-hidden secret weapon, but it was basically the most powerful gun in the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

that sweet bit where you burn a marijuana crop and the colours get brighter.

Whilst Skrillex plays :pcgaming:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

World Famous W posted:

Payday 2 added slugs a while back, turning some of the shotguns into capable counter sniping weapons. They also added explosive rounds and dragons breath ones. I've not played in a while so no clue how viable any of them are these days.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Considering how combat worked in general, the Last of Us' flamethrower was pretty great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you sneak in Far Cry you are a coward and a fool.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you sneak in Far Cry you are a coward and a fool.

Does getting a tiger to eat everyone in the outpost count a stealth?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fil5000 posted:

that's more of a hunter talent

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Return to Castle Wolfenstein had an amazing flamethrower, you could fire through bunker Windows or murderholes and it would fill the room inside with flames and had pretty good range too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pseudohog posted:

I think Dead Space was one of those rare beasts where it seriously had so many things wrong with it - the loving asteroid shooter part, the totally broken mouse controls on pc, the horrendously obvious monster closet spawners, the backtracking combined with glacially slow movement - but the whole thing managed to work as a whole thanks to the overall feeling of dread and powerlessness (at least to start with). Then the series turned into a generic shooter which while still fun to play, lost the part which I liked the original for in the first place.

I played Dead Space for the first time just last year and after making sure the vsync issue was dealt with (the cause of the mouse control sluggishness, among other things IIRC) everything was just dandy. Aced the asteroid part first try even; for me the worst parts of the game were the clunky pseudo-platforming sections, especially any time they threw in a piece of machinery that would insta-kill you.

I never had a problem with the obvious monster vents because they're everywhere. I'm not clear on how scripted encounters are, but I remember plenty of times where vents would go untouched and other times where the AI decided to be tricky and retreat into the vents so they could pop out of a different one and flank. And in a meta sense, seeing those vents added to the tension because the game thoroughly conditions you to be suspicious of them. On the flipside, the necromorphs pretending to be dead are incredibly obvious and not scary at all.

All that said, between aiming with a mouse and not being thrown off by the crazy idea of shooting for the limbs, fighting enemies only got particularly harrowing in the setpieces where they throw a lot at you at once (or the aforementioned hectic regenerator segments). But I'm also not the type who needs a hardcore survival slant in my horror games, just the illusory danger of running out of supplies and ammo and who knows what's gonna happen when I open that door :ohdear: is enough for me.

Fil5000 posted:

Payday 2 added slugs a while back, turning some of the shotguns into capable counter sniping weapons. They also added explosive rounds and dragons breath ones. I've not played in a while so no clue how viable any of them are these days.

Unfortunately with the exception of a narrow couple of months where the hot new thing was to turn hunting shotguns into pseudo-rifles, slugs have always been incredibly mediocre in Payday 2. In the name of some vague idea of realism and balance, slugs can punch through riot shields but lose a huge chunk of their damage by doing so, making them basically useless at the one thing they're supposed to be good at. Especially since in Payday shotgun pellets all do maximum weapon damage, so you're effectively gimping yourself by not spraying pellets everywhere. And the other shotgun ammo types do everything slugs are supposed to do better - flechettes increase your accuracy and range, and grant body armor penetration, all without hurting your ammo pool. Explosive and dragon's breath rounds both go straight through shields and also stun cops. And they even added a pistol that the punches through shields as a free unlock, with its only downside being a limited ammo pool.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

My favourite from the games I've played is GTA2s fire engine mounted flamethrower. Just point the thing sideways and you can drive as fast as you want frying all the pedestrians along the way. There's even a secluded road with no road traffic and nothing but gang members. So long as you keep your speed up they can't really fight back effectively especially as pissed off rednecks use molotov cocktails and they can't hit a fast moving target at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Not as long as you're fighting alongside it. If you just watch, that is the coward's way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I genuinely never figured out how to make use of the animal bait in stealth because 9 times out of 10 the game would spawn a single wild dog or something that would run in, alert the entire camp, and get shot before it killed even a single dude.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pseudohog posted:

the loving asteroid shooter part

Never made it past this in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I'm assuming everyone who complains about the asteroid part in Dead Space was playing it on console. Even before I figured out how to fix the v-sync input delay bug it was still no problem at all with mouse aiming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm assuming everyone who complains about the asteroid part in Dead Space was playing it on console. Even before I figured out how to fix the v-sync input delay bug it was still no problem at all with mouse aiming.

It was definitely a console issue, but I still don't quite understand it. Took me a couple tries, but nothing ball-busting.

Though, a lot of complaints did come from people who didn't realize that you could use both shoulder buttons to fire both guns (or something like that. It's been a while.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the asteroid part only took me two tries, but isn't it random or something so you can get hosed anyway? The box puzzle in Dead Space 3 was the real piece of poo poo.

Also I know everyone raved about it but I got it on sale and Hollow Knight is really boring. I'm a few hours in and combat's not getting any harder. It looks nice and sounds nice but I really have no desire to keep playing.