Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I fully bought into the hype of this game on 360, and it was a complete mess on console also. It was unplayable due to various network issues for the first month or so, and by the time it was fixed it completely killed whatever playerbase it had.

I got burned.

I got it on the 360 aswell and we got a good EU goon group ready to play (even a Splash Damage goon) but we got constantly kicked out due to the netcode and the game got boring in no time. I got burned well but hey I could trade it for something else so the damage wasn't so bad. That's why I never preorder digital, if I preorder something is retail because I can at least trade it for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

PC Gamer posted a cool article about weird early FPS games.

I'm not sure what's more bizarre: that an FPS based on the Forbes Magazine licence was even greenlit, that it came out in 1997, or that it literally does not appear to have any level design whatsoever. There aren't even any walls, just an infinite, empty flat expanse :wtc:

I posted about Forbes Corporate Warrior in this very thread a couple of weeks ago. Coincidence? Or Conspiracy? :tinfoil:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got lucky and got the caco hat and quake 1 rocket launcher in my quake champions boxes, but the game still feels laggy and weird

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i got lucky and got the caco hat and quake 1 rocket launcher in my quake champions boxes, but the game still feels laggy and weird

Yeah I played a bit last weekend and the game just felt "off". Couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig Quake Champions, had good luck with it, maybe lower latency servers etc, I like the feel of it. And I'd even pay upwards of eight dollars USD if they put Duke in that, especially if he said a bunch of weird stuff when he spawns like the Quake guy does. Also put Max Payne in it, a cop on the edge. Or maybe there could be an offbrand free-to-play FPS arena game with all the other-ran characters, like the Sony Smash Bros game thingy, would be potentially legendary.

Speaking of amazing one liners, how did I miss Rogue Warrior? This Dunkey vid here is the funniest thing I've seen in some time, any vid of this game would probably be funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDBDWAt1DI&t=5m32s

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of amazing one liners, how did I miss Rogue Warrior? This Dunkey vid here is the funniest thing I've seen in some time, any vid of this game would probably be funny:

"Bethesda Softworks and Rebellion present Rogue Warrior, aka Mickey Rourke Cursing Into a Microphone for an Hour."

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
So how long til we get Commander Keen in Quake Champions?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Heavy Metal posted:

Rogue Warrior is a masterpiece if only for the end credits music. If you haven't heard it yet, here you go.

thedangergroove posted:

So how long til we get Commander Keen in Quake Champions?

What would be better, classic cartoony Keen or ridiculously gritty redesign?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Why not both? Doomguy got all designs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

Rogue Warrior is a masterpiece if only for the end credits music. If you haven't heard it yet, here you go.

Holy moly that's good stuff, Mickey Rourke was on! That this hit just months before he starred in Iron Man 2 is pretty great.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BroTeam get a lot of stick for being Monkey Cheese but their video for Rogue Warrior is a favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x4lj2p2Dhc&t=70s

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 24, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

BroTeam get a lot of stick for being Monkey Cheese but their video for Rogue Warrior is a favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x4lj2p2Dhc&t=70s

gently caress it picked this up on Humble for £1

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

catlord posted:

What would be better, classic cartoony Keen or ridiculously gritty redesign?

I would LOVE to see a gritty redesign of an 8-year-old running around with a zapper and football helmet. :allears:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also I saw this gallery:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4X17e

and thought of everyone's first attempt to texture a level in Build :eyepop:

Also seems to capture what always happened to me, how i never really "got" the scale in grid mode and the levels always came out wicked cramped and tuny

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just watched this 1 hour video of Mick Gordon about how he created Doom 2016 music and while 1 hour is insane, the dude is so great, funny and interesting to listen to, that it will be even short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

I'ts from GDC 2017 (uploaded like 2 days ago).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
His distortion pedals are not cheap stuff. They're the real deal. Hell of a creative way of creating new sound.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

I just watched this 1 hour video of Mick Gordon about how he created Doom 2016 music and while 1 hour is insane, the dude is so great, funny and interesting to listen to, that it will be even short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

I'ts from GDC 2017 (uploaded like 2 days ago).

Sort of an aside, but genuinely curious, how is a one hour talk "insane"? There are countless examples of much longer talks about similar subjects, seems pretty normal.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urza2sbU68Q

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/

so marc laidlaw posted what episode 3 was going to be. like, all of it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep. Interesting ending for the game. At least we have closure I guess, valve has no interest in hl anymore.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
im genuninely really hosed up right now. half-life is extremely important to me on a personal level and is part of a ton of happy memories.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think I accepted like 6 or 7 years ago that Valve had no interest in making a new Half-Life game or episode; managing Steam and selling gacha poo poo for old multiplayer games pays more I guess

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh man, that would have been a loving insane game. It's a massive shame we'll never get to see Half-Life go full Marathon Infinity (that's the one where the things went nuts, right? I'm trying to do a playthrough of the first one right now and then hopefully move onto the rest).

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
gently caress gabe newell

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still think we will see a new Half-Life sometime. I can agree moving on after 10 years makes sense, but not for me, games have taken longer. This is a company with seemingly infinite funds/resources, they'll get around to making a HL3 some day I think. It's cool that Mark got this thingy out there though.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wow, so HL Ep3 was going to be going to the magic ship, then magic happens. I'm shocked.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ETPC posted:

im genuninely really hosed up right now. half-life is extremely important to me on a personal level and is part of a ton of happy memories.

I never browse this subforum, but I just had to in the wake of this news. I totally know how you feel. It's surreal... I had basically a wasted childhood playing HL and assorted mods with my bro and randos online and was so -there- when HL2 came out we played it the moment we could finish getting it downloaded at like two in the morning on a school night when neither of us were supposed to be awake.

Heavy Metal posted:

I still think we will see a new Half-Life sometime. I can agree moving on after 10 years makes sense, but not for me, games have taken longer. This is a company with seemingly infinite funds/resources, they'll get around to making a HL3 some day I think. It's cool that Mark got this thingy out there though.

Even if there is a new Half Life game, it's genuinely not going to be the same thing. The writing team is long gone, and a lotta the core people involved probably are too. It'd be a facsimile, and that's if they can get over their incredibly stupid management system to even get a decade old game project off the ground when they can keep the company going on the minimalist of effort in any of their microtransaction garbage and then spend the rest toying around with fancy hardware.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ishikabibble posted:

I never browse this subforum, but I just had to in the wake of this news. I totally know how you feel. It's surreal... I had basically a wasted childhood playing HL and assorted mods with my bro and randos online and was so -there- when HL2 came out we played it the moment we could finish getting it downloaded at like two in the morning on a school night when neither of us were supposed to be awake.

Even if there is a new Half Life game, it's genuinely not going to be the same thing. The writing team is long gone, and a lotta the core people involved probably are too. It'd be a facsimile, and that's if they can get over their incredibly stupid management system to even get a decade old game project off the ground when they can keep the company going on the minimalist of effort in any of their microtransaction garbage and then spend the rest toying around with fancy hardware.

I guess it's a nice thing for the many people treating this like a funeral, because they'll be in for a sweet nice surprise when a Half-Life 3 gets announced some day. And it'll probably end up being good, although indeed probably quite a bit different. Me, I just thought it was cool that this writer got his ideas out there and off his chest, and it has no effect on the future of the series.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Linguica posted:

Wow, so HL Ep3 was going to be going to the magic ship, then magic happens. I'm shocked.

ling not now bb :cry:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:rip: His site is down, presumably under the load.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
The valve 'flat' structure is such bullshit. Seems to me no project gets completed now unless it's a real piecemeal bullshit effort. The core games of Dota and CS are from 15+ year old mods with some balance and cosmetics added, seems not having a teams with a lead team pushing the game and the others not having as much of a say means nothing meaningful is being produced at valve.

A lot of small projects but no big great games. There are probably projects in projects too like hey let's work on this little function for steam it'll be cool but who gives a poo poo I wanted the valve I loved in 98 and 04

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sort of an aside, but genuinely curious, how is a one hour talk "insane"? There are countless examples of much longer talks about similar subjects, seems pretty normal.

By insane I meant "too long for most people". I watched all the noclip interviews wich are longer. Hell, I even watched the 6 hour long video about Dark Souls from Mathewmatosis in one sitting like a TV series marathon.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
This hits me right in the feels. I even used to write for a hl2 fansite for about a year back in middle school.

Someone at the top needs to crack the whip once or twice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ETPC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urza2sbU68Q

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/

so marc laidlaw posted what episode 3 was going to be. like, all of it.

I tried reading through this earlier, but even reading through it with the corrected names, it was still pretty hard to read through (in the sense that it one of those things where I feel my eyes starting to glaze over while I read it.)

The general gist I got from it was that Gordon and Alyx find that Borealis, and it turns out to be some kind of multiple-points-in-time sort of thing. There's a debate on whether it should be used or destroyed. Alyx kills Mossman and uses the Borealis as a missile to destroy the Combine, but the G-Man teleports in and takes her away once it launches. It turns out the Borealis is nowhere near enough to destroy the Combine, and the Vortigaunts come in and rescue Gordon from the Borealis before it explodes. Then Gordon ends up in...I guess in stasis like between HL1 and HL2?

It doesn't really sound like much of a conclusion, which makes me think that it was only intended to close out the HL2 Episodes and leave the plot hanging for Half Life 3. I'd point out that this probably what Laidlaw himself had conceptualized for Episode 3, so if it actually had been put into production, it might've been changed or re-worked for the final product.

Something I've heard thrown around a lot is that Valve was skeptical about doing Half Life 3 because they didn't want to repeat of the controversy with Mass Effect 3's ending.

eames
May 9, 2009

The story kind of matches the leaked concept art

http://combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series#Concept_art_gallery

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I remember seeing one those pieces when it was first revealed on Planet Half-Life like ten years ago.

Also:

https://twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/900960760481726464
https://twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/900971191019622400
https://twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/900976858526646272

Maybe there's still hope.

Maybe...

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 25, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:rip: Half Life. At least Black Mesa came out (mostly) and is cool.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man that's a really dumb story that goes nowhere. "We found and pointlessly destroyed a magic ship, the end". Condolences to everyone who ever liked that series, but it's time to face the harsh truth that it's trash.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Man that's a really dumb story that goes nowhere. "We found and pointlessly destroyed a magic ship, the end". Condolences to everyone who ever liked that series, but it's time to face the harsh truth that it's trash.

The entire theme that runs through HL is that nothing you or humanity does matters because the Combine and whoever the G-Man works for are galactic powers engaged in a cold war and Earth is a lovely little backwater planet.

That planned plot for episode 3 is completely in line with that thematic through-line (unsurprisingly, obviously, since it's the same author). It's good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cat Mattress posted:

but it's time to face the harsh truth that it's trash.

I guess that's why so many people are jazzed about this info coming out and why people are seriously pissed at Valve for abandoning the series. Makes sense to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lemon-Lime posted:

The entire theme that runs through HL is that nothing you or humanity does matters because the Combine and whoever the G-Man works for are galactic powers engaged in a cold war and Earth is a lovely little backwater planet.

That planned plot for episode 3 is completely in line with that thematic through-line (unsurprisingly, obviously, since it's the same author). It's good.

I guess it works on a meta level, because no amount of playing Half-Life is ever going to have any impact on the real world.