Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no such thing as a bad hot shots game just dumb Mario golf fan boys who think that game is good so yes I'm stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

trash person posted:

I didn't play it but everything I read/watched on it seemed promising. Seems like a Hot Shots game so I'M loving AMPED.

legit more excited for that to unlock than Destiny 2.

I bought a PS4 a few days ago explicitly for this game. I'm as psyched as can be, so I hope it's good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am ready as hell for some golf. Yakuza Kiwami comes on the same day, and I think it's going to take the back seat for a little while.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fix posted:

I am ready as hell for some golf. Yakuza Kiwami comes on the same day, and I think it's going to take the back seat for a little while.

I'm so conflicted on what to play first.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Both imo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want to see reviews for that fishing game that had the super xtream trailer. But it looks good?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll buy fish game once I see the soundtrack.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are threads about individual games in this forum?

That's a funny thing to say in the Bloodborne thread.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If I've never particularly loved any of the main Uncharted games, is there anything they do differently in this installment that would entice? Chloe was the only character I particularly liked besides Sully (if only because she was actually, y'know, a thief and proudly amoral) and I'd be vaguely interested in an adventure with her but if it's just the same Uncharted gameplay I'm probably gonna pass.

I'm new to the Uncharted series but thought this would be a good place to jump in. So far, I'm pretty unimpressed and find myself missing the two current gen Tomb Raiders. I'm trying to work out if that's just rose coloured glasses on my part or what.

Controlling Chloe feels a little like moving through water all the time. I think it's because she is transitioning in and out of animations, so there always feels like a little delay into acceleration when you have her move or change directions. The early part of the game was like a walking simulator mixed with an old school adventure game where you wander around looking for the triangle icon to show up, telling you there's something to interact with. It's like the world's slowest quick time events.

When the game opens up, it's more fun but everything is sectioned off in a way that feels very video-gamey. Now we are in a Driving area. Now we are in a Climbing area. Now we are in a Shooting area. Now we are in a Puzzle area.

I'm spoiled for open worlds after RotTR & HZD. Both of those games (especially HZD) build up systems and interactions between them that you can learn and mess with. So far, Uncharted feels like a series of one-time things, or discrete elements that are near one another but don't interact much.

Chloe and Nadine are a charming pair, well acted and animated and I am enjoying their chemistry so far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the next billion-dollar IP, the 'Dark Souls' of First Person Shooters: :rock:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hello I'm the dumb moron that played and enjoyed For Honor and is now hype af for Absolver. Caught some EA streams and it looks like FH but you can fully customize your combo strings.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If I've never particularly loved any of the main Uncharted games, is there anything they do differently in this installment that would entice? Chloe was the only character I particularly liked besides Sully (if only because she was actually, y'know, a thief and proudly amoral) and I'd be vaguely interested in an adventure with her but if it's just the same Uncharted gameplay I'm probably gonna pass.

Its like the best 30 mins from each of the other games all in a row so its good if you like them. Maybe not if you dont

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

That's a funny thing to say in the Bloodborne thread.

I'm new to the Uncharted series but thought this would be a good place to jump in. So far, I'm pretty unimpressed and find myself missing the two current gen Tomb Raiders. I'm trying to work out if that's just rose coloured glasses on my part or what.

Controlling Chloe feels a little like moving through water all the time. I think it's because she is transitioning in and out of animations, so there always feels like a little delay into acceleration when you have her move or change directions. The early part of the game was like a walking simulator mixed with an old school adventure game where you wander around looking for the triangle icon to show up, telling you there's something to interact with. It's like the world's slowest quick time events.

When the game opens up, it's more fun but everything is sectioned off in a way that feels very video-gamey. Now we are in a Driving area. Now we are in a Climbing area. Now we are in a Shooting area. Now we are in a Puzzle area.

I'm spoiled for open worlds after RotTR & HZD. Both of those games (especially HZD) build up systems and interactions between them that you can learn and mess with. So far, Uncharted feels like a series of one-time things, or discrete elements that are near one another but don't interact much.

Chloe and Nadine are a charming pair, well acted and animated and I am enjoying their chemistry so far.

Uncharted has a lot of ps3 baggage as a series where the whole point of the games was to make an interactive movie incorporating cover shooting, thereby capitalizing on both the new blueray storage medium with never before seen levels of polish and detail and the hot new gameplay of the time that was fueling xbox360's rise.

The uc4 series has moved on a bit but they are still lowest common denominator games for the mass market with little that makes them special outside of the unbeatable presentation.

For most players its just a fun rollercoaster ride to buy when they go to walmart for madden.

This current entry imo happens to distill whats great about it and leave the rest out (although without 2 great characters from the other games)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I managed to snag everybody's golf for $7 during Amazon's pricing issues during prime day sales. Im not sure I would have gotten it on release otherwise but I guess I'm excited to hit the links and fish next week.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh, wait. It's out?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's loving insane, I almost don't believe it. That's worse than the Soul Calibur 3 corruption glitch, which was at least confined to a single memory card.

the classic version of this is temple of elemental evil formatting your entire hard drive, but also daggerfall uninstalled itself from my computer a few times which is much less harmful but still a really horrible bug

doingitwrong posted:

speaking of the classics, hell yeah baby uncharted versus tomb raider!!!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fix posted:

Oh, wait. It's out?

I think it's already dead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

rabidsquid posted:

the classic version of this is temple of elemental evil formatting your entire hard drive, but also daggerfall uninstalled itself from my computer a few times which is much less harmful but still a really horrible bug

That was Pools of Radiance, not even ToEE was quite that broken, though it wouldn't have surprised me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Deader than Battleborn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hear it's actually good too, just DOA because there's just too much out there.

Tbh I'm finding the pick a hero games pretty off putting atm. It's like the new god awful thing in every video game and I immediately lose interest when I see it, even if it's conceptually fine, I dunno just blech. It's like the new "minecraft elements" or "survival"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rabidsquid posted:

There's also Myth 2 which would delete the parent directory of wherever you had installed the game, which was all of your games if you were lucky and all of C:\ if you weren't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There was also the Gurren Lagann MMO that corrupted the Windows install of every beta tester, so they sent everyone free USB hard drives to back up their files and cancelled the MMO immediately.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

homeless snail posted:

There was also the Gurren Lagann MMO that corrupted the Windows install of every beta tester, so they sent everyone free USB hard drives to back up their files and cancelled the MMO immediately.

I had no idea this even existed and drat I sure wish it didn't die immediately

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A big update for PSO2 hosed up it's launcher hard enough that if it was installed to a non-standard directory, it'd wipe that drive.

If it was installed to its normal place there was a chance it would delete FFXIV if it was around, too.

e: Also the good ol' EVE boot.ini massacre

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Pools of Radiance

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

Any idea why my ps4 controller won't hold a charge? I have to leave it plugged in and it works for the most part, although if I'm doing something with a lot of rumble it'll keep disconnecting from the battery drain. Tried like 3 different USB cables but those shouldn't matter - they're working enough to keep it active most of the time but never actually charge it. What gives?

Use a paper clip on the reset button near the L2 trigger

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Evil Within is super cheap on PSN right now. I've heard mixed things - is it worth the play or should I just watch a LP instead?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

el oso posted:

The Evil Within is super cheap on PSN right now. I've heard mixed things - is it worth the play or should I just watch a LP instead?

Its jank snd half baked enough that im waiting for the sequel to get in on the series if it turns out better

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

el oso posted:

I bought it a while ago and haven't really had the time to dog into it, but I was kind of shocked how stiff the controls felt. The game introducing the players to the gameplay with a forced stealth section where the enemy insta-kills you didn't exactly make me psyched to continue playing.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Its like the best 30 mins from each of the other games all in a row so its good if you like them. Maybe not if you dont

Yeah, I just finished it, and while it's certainly an Uncharted game, through and through, your description is pretty apt; the puzzles were clever without being terribly annoying, the traversal is varied and never outstays its welcome, the gunplay is (thankfully) Uncharted 4-derived, so it feels easier to land those all-important headshots, and the shootouts are neither too common, nor too restrictive. It all feels like a greatest hits of the best parts of Uncharted, all while dipping a toe into the waters of semi-open world and sandbox shootouts that let you use the environment.

That final sequence, though, was stunning. I genuinely think it topped the Uncharted 2 train sequence. Man, that was a great ride. Just long enough to be enjoyable, with a decent story, and leaves things open for a continuation of the series.

Even with a side team, Naughty Dog makes some loving killer rear end games, god drat...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Yeah, I just finished it, and while it's certainly an Uncharted game, through and through, your description is pretty apt; the puzzles were clever without being terribly annoying, the traversal is varied and never outstays its welcome, the gunplay is (thankfully) Uncharted 4-derived, so it feels easier to land those all-important headshots, and the shootouts are neither too common, nor too restrictive. It all feels like a greatest hits of the best parts of Uncharted, all while dipping a toe into the waters of semi-open world and sandbox shootouts that let you use the environment.

That final sequence, though, was stunning. I genuinely think it topped the Uncharted 2 train sequence. Man, that was a great ride. Just long enough to be enjoyable, with a decent story, and leaves things open for a continuation of the series.

Even with a side team, Naughty Dog makes some loving killer rear end games, god drat...

Naughty Dog doesn't have a B team. They only have one game in production at a time, with another in extended pre-production.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

el oso posted:

It's 90% poo poo and 10% amazing with nothing in between.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The Lawbreaker Beta was really fun. I didn't buy it because I have too much to play .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seedge posted:

The Lawbreaker Beta was really fun. I didn't buy it because I have too much to play .

That pretty much sums up Lawbreakers in a nutshell, by the looks of things.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cliffy B and Randy Pitchford belong together.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I just can't stop reading this and think of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star saying this to a sealed copy of Lawbreakers and then it explodes leaving Cliffy B. giblets around.

Cliffy B and Randy Pitchford belong together.

Randy is just another level of rear end in a top hat in the world of videogames. Cliffy B is just a dude that thinks he is too good after making GBS threads Gears of War. As much as I loved his work with Unreal games, his credit is just none right now.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 24, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

el oso posted:

Go for it. Very uneven experience, but worth a punt if you enjoy body horror and mindfuckery stories. The DLC is much more tightly designed than the main campaign.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

poptart_fairy posted:

Go for it. Very uneven experience, but worth a punt if you enjoy body horror and mindfuckery stories. The DLC is much more tightly designed than the main campaign.

I found the DLC tedious because all the stuff that makes the game good (Combat, resource management and cool set pieces) are pretty much completely absent. It doesn't feel like a game. Or at least a game where a choice between handgun, shotgun or a glass bottle can kill you.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 24, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got Evil Within after seeing the sequel trailer at E3 during one of the many, many sales post-E3 where it was on the PSN for like $20 to get the complete edition and I play it off and on. It's a really neat game that has some fun ideas but there's some real bullshit in it, like the central plot gimmick is more or less an excuse to radically change settings whenever they feel like it and there's so many instant death traps or bosses with 1-hit kill maneuvers but I find it oddly endearing in a weird PS2-era chintzy Survival Horror game kind of way. It's really unapologetic about what it wants and you either click with it or you don't, and there's been times when some bullshit happens and I immediately just quit out like "nope done with you for the day" but I'm back the next day like alright let's do this. Love the aesthetic, love a lot of the mechanics involved, kinda like the story, very interested in seeing where Mikami goes with the sequel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got Evil Within from Gamefly but it would consistently freeze the console during the first bit with the butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Naughty Dog doesn't have a B team. They only have one game in production at a time, with another in extended pre-production.

Jesus Christ, I know how Naughty Dog works; I meant Straley didn't direct this one. I guess I should have put it into quotes or something?

For all the complaints about there not being any innovation in the game, they clearly spent a lot of time building out slightly branching pathways and throwing more puzzles into the game, which I really dug. There seemed to be a logical consistency to most of the fights where enemies showed up from obvious places that weren't just "they blew up that wall over there you can't see yet and that's where they're pouring in from."

The puzzles have been dialed back in more recent games, and ones that were there weren't terribly interesting, but I really dug the optional, one-off concept stuff that was done for this one. The reward you get for exploring these little optional challenges also makes treasure hunting a hell of a lot easier, so your time investment is really nicely rewarded.