Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Earth 2 has Tim Curry in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Serenity in theaters with friends in college without having seen Firefly. It was a decent action flick but nothing great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Serenity turns all the characters into really shallow, one-note versions of themselves. The story was okay, I guess. I liked some parts of it, the ending mostly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

The Marvel Netflix shows depress me, because it was such a good opportunity for more good serialized fantastical martial arts action. Outside of Kung-Fu, have their been any other good martial arts-based TV shows?

Does Banshee count? It's not really fantastical martial arts action, and it just completely falls off a cliff in the last season, but the first three seasons have some loving gold in 'em.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does Banshee count? It's not really fantastical martial arts action, and it just completely falls off a cliff in the last season, but the first three seasons have some loving gold in 'em.

Ahh too bad I haven't finished it yet.

Black Sails has some of the best action production and stunt work I've ever seen on TV. Easily cinema quality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

The Marvel Netflix shows depress me, because it was such a good opportunity for more good serialized fantastical martial arts action. Outside of Kung-Fu, have their been any other good martial arts-based TV shows?

I still can't believe they made a show about a kung fu guy and forgot to put kung fu in it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I still can't believe they made a show about a kung fu guy and forgot to put kung fu in it.

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/900424342432919552

They're going to make a better run at it next season.

If they can turn Chloe Bennett into a credible badass, they should be able to unfuck Finn Jones.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

feedmyleg posted:

Outside of Kung-Fu, have their been any other good martial arts-based TV shows?

ATLA & TLOK

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah watch Avatar

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, Into the Badlands is awful, much worse than Daredevil. I'd be totally open to any Asian shows as well if those are known around these parts, that's a huge blindspot in my knowledge.
It's a super dumb show but the fight choreography is real good. I just put it on in the background and payed attention when they started hitting each other.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Eventually I'm going to finish the scripts for the first season of my dream show "Ninja PD", about a Japanese American member of an LAPD Yakuza task force fighting a stream of assasins in between breaking up local crime rings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AVClub, nooooooo. Finally going to unbookmark this place.

http://www.avclub.com/

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Eventually I'm going to finish the scripts for the first season of my dream show "Ninja PD", about a Japanese American member of an LAPD Yakuza task force fighting a stream of assasins in between breaking up local crime rings.

With Scarlett Johansson or Emma Stone as the lead?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Just add it to your RSS reader and never visit the site again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought they were just changing their comment structure not making a gizmodo clone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finally finished Person of Interest.

I can tell the final season was rushed, but the actual ending was pretty good. Out of 5 seasons, I would say there were about 2 seasons of really great episodes, 1 season of okay episodes, and the rest was mediocre to bad. Overall a decent show. It didn't help at all that it was really visually boring. Just a bland looking show all the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

They had an article about it a couple of weeks ago and they were pretty up front that the whole thing was corporate mandate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I thought they were just changing their comment structure not making a gizmodo clone.

Univision bought The Onion back in January of 2016, and bought up the remains of Gawker in the bankruptcy auction in August 2016. This is pretty clearly a decision to have all of its online outlets sharing a similar look, feel and CMS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Corporate synergy :argh:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

From one of those analytics compaines so who knows how accurate it is but if it is the Marvel stuff is killing it.

Also The Duffer Bros confirmed season 3 of Stranger Things.

That's really interesting how Stranger Things did compared to how prevalent its cultural osmosis was. It timed perfectly with a nostalgia wave bringing their own distorted version of what the sounds and sights of the 80s were.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

That's really interesting how Stranger Things did compared to how prevalent its cultural osmosis was. It timed perfectly with a nostalgia wave bringing their own distorted version of what the sounds and sights of the 80s were.

Yeah, one thing it did wasn't to replicate the feeling of the eighties, but to replicate the feeling of watching an 80's movie, on the couch on a Friday night with your family or friends. It nailed that aesthetic. I was born in 1979 so it's directly in my wheelhouse, but younger kids can connect with it too because they were still watching 80's movies on Saturday afternoon filler TV slots or from the video store.

I love Netflix and the current streaming environment, but I do miss the weekly Friday trip to the video store where you picked movies (and ONE game) based on how the cover looked and what the back said, rather than review aggregates. Until I was a teenager we did Friday Pizza/Movie night in my family and watching Stranger Things really brought that back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Like how my parents talked about drinking milk shakes at the soda shop and hanging out at the drive in, you old bastard.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah, one thing it did wasn't to replicate the feeling of the eighties, but to replicate the feeling of watching an 80's movie, on the couch on a Friday night with your family or friends. It nailed that aesthetic. I was born in 1979 so it's directly in my wheelhouse, but younger kids can connect with it too because they were still watching 80's movies on Saturday afternoon filler TV slots or from the video store.

I love Netflix and the current streaming environment, but I do miss the weekly Friday trip to the video store where you picked movies (and ONE game) based on how the cover looked and what the back said, rather than review aggregates. Until I was a teenager we did Friday Pizza/Movie night in my family and watching Stranger Things really brought that back.

I pay more attention to music than TV (well the intricacies anyway) and its really apparent there. The so-called synthwave and retrowave and the like mimick the pointable features of 80s music (the drums, the synth) while not being able to replicate the exact conditions that created a lot of the great music of that era (an intermingling ecosystem of singers, writers, producers, and session musicians, the diverse and interesting musicscape afforded by record profits).

While I don't want to make it entirely about Stranger Things, there I found that a lot of the stuff I had little patience for (the emphasis on character cut-outs rather than characterization, the uneven pace, the lack of idiosyncratic quirks or wrinkles) can be pointed to as things that are pretty hard to translate from the 80s. The sincerity/the crazy and brilliant auteurs of that era/the fact it was building off stuff from stuff decades in the making/a measured pace allowing more characterization (which is interesting to see happen compared even when one is a movie 120 minutes long versus 12 episodes on Netflix).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Univision bought The Onion back in January of 2016, and bought up the remains of Gawker in the bankruptcy auction in August 2016. This is pretty clearly a decision to have all of its online outlets sharing a similar look, feel and CMS.

Ohhh that's why The Onion sucks to browse now...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This "Good Place" show is pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

This "Good Place" show is pretty funny.

FYI it is on Netflix now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I mean, not YOUR information. Just in general.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Things I like:

The site now loads quicker and scrolls smoother on my phone.

Things I hate:

Literally everything else. Yeesh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did you want to see what was reviewed recently? TOO BAD!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Did you want to see what was reviewed recently? TOO BAD!

Ugh, I like to catch up on older shows I missed and read the old AV Club reviews as I go through then (most recently Deep Space 9). I don't think looking up a series of show reviews is even possible with Kinja. Motherfuck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

Tuvok is character who portrays living the Vulcan lifestyle as a practice. Not something he did and then he is that way now, or something he is lying to himself about being, but something that is a constant struggle to maintain a chosen countenance and mindset. His character reflects the way that real-life monks practice meditation and continually try to address and improve their flaws. Often in Star Trek, you have flaws in Vulcan logic pointed out by other characters. Tuvok is one of the only Vulcans who constantly works to address and examine his own flaws. Which are many.

Where TOS shows Vulcans as more or less innately logical beings, and ENT shows Vulcan intellectualism as a crumbling facade of bullshit, VOY portrays it as a a practice that must be maintained. Too bad about the rest of the show, though.

I can't say I ever saw it that way, and I would consider a rewatch if not, as you said, for the rest of the show. There's just too much good stuff out there I haven't seen yet to watch Voyager.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Ugh, I like to catch up on older shows I missed and read the old AV Club reviews as I go through then (most recently Deep Space 9). I don't think looking up a series of show reviews is even possible with Kinja. Motherfuck.

Yeah, I watch everything delayed, so I'll glance at the TV grades to see how last night's episode went. Now it's a search just to determine what is a review and then the grade is in the body of the review.

Not that grades are be-all-end-all but if it's a straight up A or D, it's a good indication of the quality.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They've already added a TV reviews section to the bar btw.

But yeah I absolutely hate this redesign. A step down in every conceivable way. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it changes due to feedback, but I feel like my time reading that site regularly is over.

Are there any other pop culture sites anywhere near that good? Even with it going downhill over the past few years it was still way better than any other site of the same type I've seen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, since AV Club was originally part of comedy website The Onion maybe we should convince Lowtax to create a TV IV section to the Something Awful comedy website.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Well, since AV Club was originally part of comedy website The Onion maybe we should convince Lowtax to create a TV IV section to the Something Awful comedy website.

Already happened, already failed. You need more time in the SA memory banks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

Already happened, already failed. You need more time in the SA memory banks.

I certainly don't remember it, but that's because I haven't looked at the front page regularly since like 2004.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What took you so long to do that? AV Club's been dire since at least last year. This article about Mic farming social justice for clicks and page views can apply to there, as well as too many other sites that used to be enjoyable and unique. At least now the look matches the site's content.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm finally gonna watch that San Bernidino or Junipero or whatever ep of Black Mirror. My history with Black Mirror is about 50/50. Everyone said White Bear was good, and it was like my second least-favorite episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Clint Mansell did the music for San Junipero. It sounds a lot like Mass Effect and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That AV Club redesign is pure trash, god drat

• Locked thread