Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

is it possible to solo/duo the Coil or do I need to find a group to do it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xun posted:

is it possible to solo/duo the Coil or do I need to find a group to do it all?

Soloing is generally restricted to a few specific fights. Tank/healer duo should work in every fight but T9 though, which has some mechanics that care about number of party members. Four is the sweet spot for T9

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

hm, what about a black mage tank and a healer :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xun posted:

hm, what about a black mage tank and a healer :v:

You'll be fine in some fights but not others. I dunno which ones for sure.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Okay I might finally have to stop playing this game until competent players resub. If I feel like doing anything other than Omega Savage/Story or EX trials, the people playing are just garbage. Some scholar with 3 70s just honest healed Shisui like a sprout in Sastasha. The pld didn't put on shield stance until the first boss and he still lost aggro on trash pulls after that. The blm had 1000 dps on trash pulls. I feel like blowing my brains out when I play this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick is to not care it's just a dungeon. Unless you actually have to be out the door in half an hour or something (in which case why are you even doing a dungeon?) worrying about your tomestones per hour will do nothing but make your play experience less fun

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
actually it's good to care about everything taking 3x as long as it needs to because everybody is bad

it was shisui, so it's xpm I'm worried about. also i don't see how wanting to do things quickly ruins the fun more than actually having to do things very slowly.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 24, 2017

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Farg posted:

wol isn't a primal but there will for sure be a "wol primal" thing at some point

After adventuring abroad for some time you return to Eorzea, and are worried when nobody meets you at the docks to welcome you home. You return to the Rising Stones to investigate, and find them along with aether-made doppleganger of yourself doing all their chores. It agrees to dissipate itself, but only if you can prove the realm is safe in your hands by beating it in a fetch quest race.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krabboss posted:

actually it's good to care about everything taking 3x as long as it needs to because everybody is bad

it was shisui, so it's xpm I'm worried about. also i don't see how wanting to do things quickly ruins the fun more than actually having to do things very slowly.
What will ruin your fun is that you WANT to run things quickly but you CAN'T because players are often extremely bad and force you to run them things slowly. You are in control of your expectations, you're not in control of the healer who's honest healing your 30 minute dungeon because they're lazy as gently caress and watching Netflix at the same time.

Expect poo poo runs, always, be pleasantly surprised if they turn out to be fast and good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn't pick any of the "just like zenos" dialogue options in cutscenes and it was fun thinking of my character just standing there dumbfounded during his whole "we're not so different you and I" speech.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Last night I did Spiritbonding craftgrind and threw the resulting stack of HQ Palladium Nuggets up on the Market Board for 8k, only a bit lower than the current HQ price.

This morning, I woke up to this.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SL the Pyro posted:

Last night I did Spiritbonding craftgrind and threw the resulting stack of HQ Palladium Nuggets up on the Market Board for 8k, only a bit lower than the current HQ price.

Don't gently caress with Jeeve.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lmao

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

SL the Pyro posted:

My experience with the market board, every single time.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

Sell yours in a small stack or as a single unit and keep your price raised. Very few people are going to want a stack of 99.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Exactly. The trick to doing stuff like that is to sell things in useable amounts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I am hella PEEVED posted:

My experience with the market board, every single time.

I have nearly one million gil worth of Allagan silver pieces I've been collecting from my retainers since 4.0 launch because everybody insists on selling them on the mb at vendor trash price, *guaranteeing* they lose money or at best wasting a retainer slot. People are dumb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Exactly. The trick to doing stuff like that is to sell things in useable amounts.

I've been known to sell 40 stacks of item in stacks of 9 before :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
yeah but if I had that much of the stuff lol like hell I'm going through all the busywork of listing all that in small stacks

...there's a reason I'm always poor

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jfc selling the HQ mats at LQ prices

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Truga posted:

I've been known to sell 40 stacks of item in stacks of 9 before :v:

If someone wanted to put forth the effort, there's a lot of arbitrage potential on the mb in situations like this plus stormblood vendor gear. I check the MB daily for my GC supply/provisioning missions because a lot of people still have HQ stuff from quests dumped at stupid low prices. A lot of times nq will be listed (and sells at) 1.5-2x or more than vendor purchase price.

For anyone buying GC turn ins off the MB remember that everything except gathering/crafting accessories can be flat out purchased from vendors. 62 in Kugane, 64 Dawn Throne, 66 House of the fierce and so on. Most stuff costs less than 20k/per so if you're paying more than that from the MB you're losing money.

Also, on the subject of DPS leveling, don't forget about the challenge log. Sure 20 levequests sounds like a lot, but you can always just do a bunch of gathering/crafting leves then go do one braindead combat leve and get a million experience. Fates are an obvious one. The guildhest one is usually ignored, too, but you can grab 3 others and spam 10 under the armors in about 6-7 minutes for another 400k or so. Some of this may not seem like much, but it adds up quick.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Augus posted:

jfc selling the HQ mats at LQ prices

Like I've said previously...

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/786615741659295745

I don't see what the big rush is. Like, if something is routinely and consistently selling for 10k apiece (and you can check the most recent prices at which an item actually sold), why tank it down to 2k? Who gains anything from that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leofish posted:

I don't see what the big rush is. Like, if something is routinely and consistently selling for 10k apiece (and you can check the most recent prices at which an item actually sold), why tank it down to 2k? Who gains anything from that?

Someone who cares more about turning a profit quickly than turning a high profit or doesn't want to risk being undercut by other people

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leofish posted:

Just because they were selling at 10k at one point doesn't mean that's the equilibrium price. The marketboard is an unrestricted market with basically no fees. It reacts to supply and demand. Enough supply will drive prices down, flat out. If demand was high enough to maintain the 10k price, anything priced lower wouldn't last on the market. Since it obviously isn't, prices are going to fall.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

vOv posted:

I've never played an MMO that ended, how have other ones dealt with the story?

im sure the city of heroes goons will pop in on this at some point. Also I don't remember how they did swg but it wasn't really a theme park. There hasn't really been a super popular theme park mmo that has been shut down yet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Someone who cares more about turning a profit quickly than turning a high profit or doesn't want to risk being undercut by other people

This, or someone who has access to a higher supply of the item at a lower fixed cost.

I love that comic because it's like "let the free market decide" and then directly issues a plea to the viewer to agree to artificially alter their own behavior for the sake of the greater economy.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

im sure the city of heroes goons will pop in on this at some point. Also I don't remember how they did swg but it wasn't really a theme park. There hasn't really been a super popular theme park mmo that has been shut down yet.

A GM would pop on every so often and start summoning random giant monsters in the middle of atlas park and all the players holding candlelight vigils for their dying game would beat then up for no reason other than they're there and holy poo poo they never saw x villain before.

I believe the devs themselves were fired the day of the shutdown announcement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

markets in this game bottom out fast so gently caress you got mine is the optimal market board strats

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leofish posted:

When a store has a big sale, they don't lower the price on things by a single penny and expect people to turn out in droves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But, like, stores that put items on sale do them to lure you into the store so you also buy other things. That's not how the market board works. :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harrow posted:

But, like, stores that put items on sale do them to lure you into the store so you also buy other things. That's not how the market board works. :psyduck:

The marketboard is very simple. It's pure supply and demand.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

When a store has a big sale, they don't lower the price on things by a single penny and expect people to turn out in droves.

It's a commodities market without buy orders.

I wish all MMOs had buy and sell orders like eve.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Need the eve-o/gw2 style market board. Let me do buy/sell orders, let me not buy whole stacks, jfc SE this is 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It would own bones if you could just buy part of a stack, yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Buy/sell orders are the best.

Having buy orders can cut down on undercutters, too, I think. Like in GW2, if I want to sell something quickly, I don't just go undercut someone--I do the sell instantly option, meaning I fulfill the highest standing buy order.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

buy orders would be cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Playing both GW2 and FFXIV makes me think about just how many features from each game would make the other so much better. Can they do a little idea trade real quick? FFXIV can give GW2 build templates, and GW2 can give FFXIV a functioning market board.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

What I never got about undercutters is when they start selling items below the vendor price. I mean it's not like you don't have a convenient method to sell them to a vendor now and yet they still flood the mb with them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

yeah but if I had that much of the stuff lol like hell I'm going through all the busywork of listing all that in small stacks

...there's a reason I'm always poor

The trick is to split them into stacks of 9 in your inventory (real easy) by copying 9 and then pasting it in, then copy the price into clipboard when you put up the first stack for sale, then just put up for sale -> paste -> ok -> repeat.

Takes like a minute or 2 to fill your 40 sale slots you have on 2 retainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder why they even allow you to list allagan pieces on the MB. It's literally just a junk item designed to be sold to a vendor for gil. It probably shouldn't even exist, actually