Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

How many years of his life has Kurapika sacrificed already?

1800 days

so about 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

This might explain how Kurapika intends to teach everyone nen in 2 weeks, maybe?

On the other hand given the drawbacks of his Dolphin I'm probably wrong.

i think it might just be equivalent to opening your nen pores or whatever which seems to be a process that takes 2 seconds anyway

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

The awakening latent nen abilities thing is a bit bullshit-ty but I'm all up for Oito getting more screentime.

It's pretty bullshitty. I can deal with the ability forcing out open the 'nen body nodes' or whatever you want to call them, but once that's done, the person should be the one to learn how to control his/her own nen or he/she'll die, like Gon and Killua had to do. Basically, see chapter 48 of the manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

How many years of his life has Kurapika sacrificed already?

not enough

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tserried's comment "if you can't learn nen in 2 weeks, kill them all" was pretty funny. Knowing him, I thought he was going to say 'if you can't learn nen in 2 weeks, I will kill you'.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's pretty bullshitty. I can deal with the ability forcing out open the 'nen body nodes' or whatever you want to call them, but once that's done, the person should be the one to learn how to control his/her own nen or he/she'll die, like Gon and Killua had to do. Basically, see chapter 48 of the manga.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until we learn what exactly Otio can and can't do. It seems like a major theme of this arc is that "using Nen" can mean a lot of different things.

Also, I hadn't voted yet on death pool number 2, but I think I'm giving to the fifth prince, for her obsession at getting to work with Kurapika. Kurapika is going to end up being the wedge between 4 and 5 and Tser is gonna kill her. This will give us a lot of tension given that Theta probably wants Kurapika's help to contain Tser.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I feel really bad for Momoze. Oito gave more of a poo poo about her death than Sevanti does.

Also Oito best queen

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

blizzardvizard posted:

The awakening latent nen abilities thing is a bit bullshit-ty but I'm all up for Oito getting more screentime.

it's a little dumb but that's always sort of been a thing in this series

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao that Benjamin bodyguard is the most american of all characters so far

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kurapika's gonna to die, Gon lost his powers, and Killua's on the lamb with Alluka.

Togashi finally setting the stage for Leorio to take charge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just love the fact that Kurapika is getting screwed over by his ability, which isn't even helping him that much.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Kurapika's gonna to die, Gon lost his powers, and Killua's on the lamb with Alluka.

With Kalluto being in the boat with Hisoka (probably) its setting the stage for Killua to come back.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kurapika has been my favorite character since the mafia arc because he's taking this superpower poo poo seriously

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hate-Senpai posted:

This might explain how Kurapika intends to teach everyone nen in 2 weeks, maybe?

On the other hand given the drawbacks of his Dolphin I'm probably wrong.

Yeah I'm guessing he'll activate everyone's Nen and then spend the 2 weeks teaching them the basics of controlling it.
I wonder how his dolphin will work on a person who already has Nen though...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so uh, were we supposed to know who that was in the last panel? because the last few pages before that were all introductions to new, presumably minor characters and what their goals were, but then on the last page that person just showed up, no explanation.

no way in heck kurapika starts using steal chain to grant powers willy nilly after the lesson he just received. it was a terrible idea when he gave it to a clever ally, much less a bunch of outright enemies. any of them could kill him just by refusing to release the ability, and they have good reason not to release it since they could use whatever nen they were given freely until kurapika died.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 24, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At first I thought it was his ability but it's either kalluto by the look of the kimono and hair or one of the handservants

Do they exclusively pick the worst loving fanart

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm fairly sure that's a nen ability, not a character.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You're not supposed to know who it is. The idea is that one of the characters introduced this chapter was saying that but we don't know who.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

You're not supposed to know who it is. The idea is that one of the characters introduced this chapter was saying that but we don't know who.

Given that her outfit matches those of the female maids(?) we can infer it's one of those, at least.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kild posted:

1800 days

so about 5 years

Not bad, I mean the avg human being lifespan is 80+? Plenty of ppl die before then too. I have no doubt I wouldn't live that long :sigh:

Bad Seafood posted:

I miss Leorio since he's the most relatable character in the entire cast. I mean, I understand Kurapika's need for VENGENCE myself but it gets so tiresome after a few volumes.

btw: Anyone keeping track of the living princes? I'm getting them all confused since the start of the boat arc.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Alder posted:

Not bad, I mean the avg human being lifespan is 80+? Plenty of ppl die before then too. I have no doubt I wouldn't live that long :sigh:

Don't forget that Nen keeps you body younger for longer. Biscuit is 57 and she still looks like a (extremely buff) 20 something, Netero was well over a hundred when he died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alder posted:

I miss Leorio since he's the most relatable character in the entire cast. I mean, I understand Kurapika's need for VENGENCE myself but it gets so tiresome after a few volumes.

btw: Anyone keeping track of the living princes? I'm getting them all confused since the start of the boat arc.

All of them but Momoze.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

blizzardvizard posted:

Eh, it's basically a Nen baptism more along the lines of what Wing did than what the 200th floor assholes would have done. It's not new at all, and in retrospect we should have seen this coming, given her seeing Nen and whatnot while it's in use. It makes sense that, in order to let someone use Nen, they have to be able to, well, use Nen, so it opening all their aura nodes and stuff should have been an obvious side-effect.

She'll definitely still have to train to use it well, for the person who was worrying about that. She just got a head start the way Gon and Killua did.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well it sounds like all she wanted was to see it anyway.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RatHat posted:

Yeah I'm guessing he'll activate everyone's Nen and then spend the 2 weeks teaching them the basics of controlling it.
I wonder how his dolphin will work on a person who already has Nen though...

I don't think people are going to be trained for the two weeks. poo poo is going to hit the fan before then.

The last few chapters have covered a matter of hours.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Whooping Crabs posted:

I don't think people are going to be trained for the two weeks. poo poo is going to hit the fan before then.

The last few chapters have covered a matter of hours.

Well yeah I just mean that's his plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Tubeppa and Zheng Lei want to recruit Kurapika. Both are apparently fine even if the Prince has to come with.

Also a quick fix of a mistranslation in Mangastream. Were they said Camila did respond to their call. When it's the opposite she did not respond to them or send any staff to learn Nen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 24, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure the last panel is a nen construct from the guy in the second-last panel.

blizzardvizard posted:

Honestly I completely expected it. I mean, he's literally injecting foreign nen into a person, that's the definition of a baptism.

Turin Turambar posted:

Gon and Killua had to learn to control the aura flow specifically because their points were forcefully opened and they had to figure out how to close them before all their aura leaked out, but here it was a much more controlled approach.

Consider learning to use a muscle group you'd never used before for whatever reason. It's there and you can control it, but first you need to build an awareness of it and figure out what signals do what. After that it becomes muscle memory. In this case, Oito had that done for her so her "muscle memory" of "controlling nen" was built, but that doesn't imply she instantly mastered stuff like Gyo or Ren.

Also people are jumping the gun, Kurapika just said she can already use nen, not that she magically gained a hatsu or anything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Turin Turambar posted:

Tserried's comment "if you can't learn nen in 2 weeks, kill them all" was pretty funny. Knowing him, I thought he was going to say 'if you can't learn nen in 2 weeks, I will kill you'.

There's literally no way he can kill them all if he doesn't learn nen in 2 weeks. Hell, Tserriednich probably has an inkling of this which makes that a super dick thing to say.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Oh my god why are these series so good. At this point I don't even watch the art anymore I just read and read and read the text!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So does anyone have any mythological significance for bird feathers and prophecies? My current theory for Halkenburg's nen beast, going along with the mythology of Cyclops' being able to see the day of their death, is that the tattoos are some kind of indication of death with the odd glowing bit at the base of the feather acting as a timer of sorts.

I'm paying close attention to Cejore these coming chapters since he's one of the bodies shown in Halkenburg's dream. I think he'll kick the bucket first.

Roland Jones posted:

Eh, it's basically a Nen baptism more along the lines of what Wing did than what the 200th floor assholes would have done. It's not new at all, and in retrospect we should have seen this coming, given her seeing Nen and whatnot while it's in use. It makes sense that, in order to let someone use Nen, they have to be able to, well, use Nen, so it opening all their aura nodes and stuff should have been an obvious side-effect.

She'll definitely still have to train to use it well, for the person who was worrying about that. She just got a head start the way Gon and Killua did.

What surprises me is that Kurapika seems to have also managed to enforce Ten on her. I remember when Gon and Killua underwent the baptism their aura was leaking out such that they would have died had they not stabilized it. Meanwhile Oito seems to never have had that problem. I am happy that there is an explanation for why she could see the Dragon (and now we can assume the burning wheel), but I still feel like she got a stable awakening to nen too easy.

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure the last panel is a nen construct from the guy in the second-last panel.

I'm waiting for Viz since MS is notorious for mixing up text and word bubbles, but given what the current page is like. It's likely that whoever is the user of "Silent Majority" is commenting on Benjamin's guards thoughts, and is pre-emptively activating his ability. Yurikov wants any excuse to use self defense as a reason to take people down, this unknown narrator is just happy to oblige him.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Im looking forward to a standy nen fight it's been a while.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

Don't forget that Nen keeps you body younger for longer. Biscuit is 57 and she still looks like a (extremely buff) 20 something, Netero was well over a hundred when he died.

I thought that was a side effect of her Nen ability to change her appearance at will v:v:v

I wonder how old are Killua's grandparents in reality if they haven't died yet ofc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

What surprises me is that Kurapika seems to have also managed to enforce Ten on her. I remember when Gon and Killua underwent the baptism their aura was leaking out such that they would have died had they not stabilized it. Meanwhile Oito seems to never have had that problem. I am happy that there is an explanation for why she could see the Dragon (and now we can assume the burning wheel), but I still feel like she got a stable awakening to nen too easy.

Well, his ability has to do that or else it's useless; knocking your subjects out by having them vent all their aura is a great way to waste years of your life while trapped in Emperor Time. (Not that Kurapika avoided that particularly well anyway.) Also, we already know that Kurapika likes abilities that force people into certain states, since his Chain Jail enforcing Zetsu is the reason it's so powerful. Her still being like that afterward is odd, though maybe Kurapika had the foresight to have his ability close the relevant nodes when dismissed. And/or he's explaining that stuff to her offscreen and we're just not seeing it because we already know how all that stuff works and these chapters are dense as hell without us seeing Kurapika explaining old Nen concepts to Oito, particularly one chapter before he probably starts explaining Nen to, well, everyone. We might even get a flashback of him talking to Oito or her thinking about Kurapika having taught her about that time too, really, just to establish that he's not having her doing this blind.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Well, his ability has to do that or else it's useless; knocking your subjects out by having them vent all their aura is a great way to waste years of your life while trapped in Emperor Time. (Not that Kurapika avoided that particularly well anyway.) Also, we already know that Kurapika likes abilities that force people into certain states, since his Chain Jail enforcing Zetsu is the reason it's so powerful. Her still being like that afterward is odd, though maybe Kurapika had the foresight to have his ability close the relevant nodes when dismissed. And/or he's explaining that stuff to her offscreen and we're just not seeing it because we already know how all that stuff works and these chapters are dense as hell without us seeing Kurapika explaining old Nen concepts to Oito, particularly one chapter before he probably starts explaining Nen to, well, everyone. We might even get a flashback of him talking to Oito or her thinking about Kurapika having taught her about that time too, really, just to establish that he's not having her doing this blind.

The difference is that Zetsu is the state of sealing aura nodes shut. That's far more believable than an ability that can enforce ten which is the act of containing your aura around you. And to this date nobody else has an ability to force you into a state of Ten. Even Knuckles ability just added aura to your body like a battery.

I already had a question about how Oito could see aura, that got answered, Togashi just needs to keep them coming but it's a valid observation.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

The difference is that Zetsu is the state of sealing aura nodes shut. That's far more believable than an ability that can enforce ten which is the act of containing your aura around you. And to this date nobody else has an ability to force you into a state of Ten. Even Knuckles ability just added aura to your body like a battery.

I already had a question about how Oito could see aura, that got answered, Togashi just needs to keep them coming but it's a valid observation.

Oh, I wasn't saying it was invalid, sorry, I just got carried away musing on the subject. Still, though, it's not the weirdest thing Nen has done; stealing and transferring abilities and getting all the required skill and knowledge to use them is far more extreme, after all. I still expect that Kurapika's going to be teaching her on or offscreen, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I see it as similar to stimulating atrophied muscles with electrical signals. He was using her nen muscles for her, which provided her a minimal amount of exercise.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 25, 2017

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, I wasn't saying it was invalid, sorry, I just got carried away musing on the subject. Still, though, it's not the weirdest thing Nen has done; stealing and transferring abilities and getting all the required skill and knowledge to use them is far more extreme, after all. I still expect that Kurapika's going to be teaching her on or offscreen, though.

The thing is despite how weird a concept stealing abilities is, it's consistent. And it is weird don't get me wrong. I am just in the camp of "needs more exposition" for stuff like this because the current understanding of Nen rules that I work with doesn't account for a nen baptism making the user automatically learn Ten. Granted an ability could do that and we're still learning things about how steal chain works, but even offscreen teaching doesn't really work because outside of the time Oito and Kurapika spent asleep we have seen all the time they have together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Gon and Killua's aura leaking would not have killed them. It would have just exhausted them before knocking them unconscious unless they got it under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nen baptisms forcibly makes people aware of their own aura. if kurapika granted someone a hatsu very briefly, it might have the same effect. instead, oito spent hours controlling her aura. it wasn't on a conscious level, but she got the feel for it which is one step further than baptisms go.