Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my Nests (thermostat and smoke detector) work fine with the internet out. first thing I tried when I got them home. same with my Z-wave light switches

I don't think I can connect my Echo to a Bluetooth device without internet, because the voice command is processed in the butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

infernal machines posted:

it still works as a speaker in some fashion though doesn't it?

do they have an aux jack?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no

the Dot does, for output

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so is it even a very good speaker for music, i'd think it wouldn't be optimized for that at all (and mono, to boot)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

my Nests (thermostat and smoke detector) work fine with the internet out. first thing I tried when I got them home. same with my Z-wave light switches

I don't think I can connect my Echo to a Bluetooth device without internet, because the voice command is processed in the butt

they have to work with no internet otherwise they wouldn't be able to beep from inside the drink cooler

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

so is it even a very good speaker for music, i'd think it wouldn't be optimized for that at all (and mono, to boot)

it sounds pretty good, yeah, for what I use it for (background music for living room at kitchen). I don't think stereo would be meaningful given the different locations I'm listening from. I didn't cross shop other speakers, but I'm told it's about what you'd expect for the price.

I haven't tried to put my smoke detector in a cooler.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

they have to work with no internet otherwise they wouldn't be able to beep from inside the drink cooler

lol

the only nest product that gets weird about no internet is the security camera buts thats because it does additional object detection on the server so the camera cant tell a person from a pet without a connection

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Is anyone using MS ATP? I am so sick of Symatec's garbage console and security practices, I can't wait to force them to bid. I ran a PESecurity scan on their SEP14 stack and its an inconsistent shitshow. 14 even includes a feature that forces applications to opt in to SEHOP but a ton of their own binaries and libraries opt out of it.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is anyone using MS ATP? I am so sick of Symatec's garbage console and security practices, I can't wait to force them to bid. I ran a PESecurity scan on their SEP14 stack and its an inconsistent shitshow. 14 even includes a feature that forces applications to opt in to SEHOP but a ton of their own binaries and libraries opt out of it.

yep, SEP is rear end garbage. WD ATP is really good but you've got to be all windows 10 to get any real benefit from it. previous companies I've seen using SEP were very far from getting win10 rolled out...

(if your co is competent enough to enforce win10 company wide it's probably competent enough to use MS ATA as well which is really great combined with WD ATP)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

We don't have that kind of authority to get everyone up to 10 unfortunately, got another 3 years of Win7 clients hanging around before everyone takes the plunge. Not to mention almost zero 2016 adoption at this point. How much functionality is lost on Win7/8 and their server counterparts? We're still on SEP12 with the 14 rollout in progress so we don't even have heuristics at this point; the bar is pretty loving low over here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ookiimarukochan posted:

In regards to lovely password interfaces, just going to leave this here:

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

We don't have that kind of authority to get everyone up to 10 unfortunately, got another 3 years of Win7 clients hanging around before everyone takes the plunge. Not to mention almost zero 2016 adoption at this point. How much functionality is lost on Win7/8 and their server counterparts? We're still on SEP12 with the 14 rollout in progress so we don't even have heuristics at this point; the bar is pretty loving low over here.

It doesn't support versions prior to win10, win10 introduces all the telemetry it uses. which sucks, yep.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Daman posted:

It doesn't support versions prior to win10, win10 introduces all the telemetry it uses. which sucks, yep.

The MS docs say that it isn't built in but there is a client you can install for prior versions (along with OSX and linux). I don't know what to believe any more.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

The MS docs say that it isn't built in but there is a client you can install for prior versions (along with OSX and linux). I don't know what to believe any more.

endpoint protection does, but you don't get a bunch of the useful details you would into ATP

they do free trials btw, you should test it out in your org and see if it's worth it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Daman posted:

endpoint protection does, but you don't get a bunch of the useful details you would into ATP

they do free trials btw, you should test it out in your org and see if it's worth it

This stuff has to go through RFP/bid unfortunately. It's mostly a waste of time until I hit that window. Ahhh... the life of large bureaucratic IT

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

really good in-depth read on virtualbox's attempts at hardening their usermode process to protect their lax kernel drivers and bypasses found then fixed: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/bypassing-virtualbox-process-hardening.html

i was going to read it thoroughly before posting but it's a very long read

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:gonk:

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/900429796240277504

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/900429896941359104

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Google's design team, everyone. Raises all around.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Google's design team, everyone. Raises all around.
that's a google chrome employee making a point, he's been pretty active at improving usable security then they hired him around january

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lmbo why aren't all the subdomains greyed out if it overruns the address field like every other sane browser in the world

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

If only hostnames were big endian

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lmbo why aren't all the subdomains greyed out if it overruns the address field like every other sane browser in the world

unlike modern ios, android doesn't really have a standardized safari/chrome thing that lets apps launch web pages in a app-specific instance of the OS browser, instead they get to use a shittier browser view that google can't relaly fix because android

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/sfsafariviewcontroller

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo Android

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cocoa Crispies posted:

unlike modern ios, android doesn't really have a standardized safari/chrome thing that lets apps launch web pages in a app-specific instance of the OS browser, instead they get to use a shittier browser view that google can't relaly fix because android

why cant they have the text field show a different thing?

im having a hard time thinking of a way to make that part of the API contract

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
and even if it was fixed by someone at google tomorrow it wouldn't show up on 50% of androids in use until 2566

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

how do you even do this :pwn:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

very carefully

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and even if it was fixed by someone at google tomorrow it wouldn't show up on 50% of androids in use until 2566

https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/overview

Since Android 5.0 (~75% of active Android devices) the webview has been a separate APK which updates through the Play Store like any other app.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Ur wrong also that looks like a Chrome Custom Tab

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

what loving CA signed this??

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/overview

Since Android 5.0 (~75% of active Android devices) the webview has been a separate APK which updates through the Play Store like any other app.
how many manufacturers get to use their own

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

this is just to see what they can get away with before they just start putting various combinations of 420, 69, and 8008 on their certs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what loving CA signed this??

don't worry it's self-signed (and incorrectly, to boot!)

customer set it up, it will be handling payment information eventually so i wanted to see if they had actually used an internal CA or something that my computer just didn't recognize and, well, yeah.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure the openssl command line will let you mash any idiotic numbers in there without validation because Freedom or some poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

a 2016 bit N should be as good as any other for RSA. It's just not the standard and diverting from the standard is Very Bad

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
the new 2018 bit keys are coming out soon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NFX posted:

the new 2018 bit keys are coming out soon

yeah the only thing i could think of is maybe they generated the key in 2016 and thought that... was... the date... field...

except they generated the key three months ago so i have no fuckin' clue

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it’s about time we had some new bits

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

these ECC certs have so few bits. They must be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
maybe they just got really "lucky" with leading zeros in the key

• Locked thread