Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My [22F] sister [26F] got paid a lot of money to do a photo shoot as this character poison ivy. My mother [60F] is calling her a disgrace because she's a mother.

quote:

My sister and my mother are fighting right now and it's pretty bad. My sister has always been the pretty one. She's smart but she was known for her looks as we were growing up. She did random photo shoots here and there for extra cash but never was fully into it as she wanted to be a veterinarian. She's on her way to becoming a vet as we speak. I think she's doing an internship or something.

My sister recently got a job with her old agent saying that he had a spot for her. He just wanted to know if she wanted it. She took it and she had to dress up in this very realistic poison ivy costume. The character from Batman in the DC Comics and do a photo shoot. She got a hefty payday out of it. My sister is a mother to a 2 year old boy. My mother thinks it's disgraceful because when he gets older there's going to be pictures of my sister/his mother in suggestive clothing on the internet. They've gotten into this massive fight and my sister isn't talking to my mother. My mother just now realized that this means not talking to my nephew either. She's asking me to fix the conflict but I don't know where to start.

tl;dr: Mom has asked me to resolve conflict between herself and my sister. I don't know how to do it and could use some advice.

"Leave our company and pay the fees on your way out," my cofounder says. I did. Nine months later, "He's suicidal and he says it's your fault. Pay to shut down the company so he can move on," his psychologist says.

quote:

I cofounded a company with a friend, let's call him XOXO.

As things became difficult, XOXO confided in me that he had been suicidal but was getting help. He told me his psychologist was using a technique that involved MDMA, that these weekly visits were intense, but they seemed to be helping.

At a particularly low point, I gave XOXO a significant personal loan. It was an attempt to help him get out of his personal financial crisis and get his life back on track — even if it meant completely dissolving the company right then and there. I told him his life meant more to me than the success of the company.

It became increasingly difficult to work with XOXO and I was not able to fulfill my role as a cofounder. When it became clear that I should separate from the company, I agreed to his terms to pay for costs associated with my departure as well as costs associated with a few administrative responsibilities I had failed to followthrough on.

In short, I did precisely as he asked: signed the paperwork, paid for everything, and got out.

That was 9 months ago.

This week, I heard from XOXO for the first time since. In his email he articulates in no unclear terms that I am responsible for his suicidal condition and that my betrayal as a friend made him distrust others, lose all other social connection, and caused him to become incapable of working for nearly a year.

Now, because he is in crippling debt, he is asking for me to pay the remaining costs to shut down the business.

I responded asking how much but I didn't get a reply from XOXO — instead, I got a reply from his Psychologist.

In his email to me, his Psychologist says, "Suffice it to say, that it’s not hyperbole when XOXO says that your personal attacks on him, 'nearly killed him.’ It’s also not hyperbole when he says he’s buried under a mountain of “crippling debt.” My point here is to try to communicate to you that while both of you are aggrieved parties in this matter, this unravelling of your friendship and this business cost him years of productive employment and nearly cost him his life. Paying for these outstanding expenses is a relatively simple way for you to help XOXO begin to disengage from what has been one of the most painful experiences in his life. My sense is that he sees this as an opportunity for you to do the 'right thing,' and I suspect it would go a long way to clearing up a lot of the negative energy between the two of you."

Here's where I need some advice.

It scares me that his Psychologist is validating his point of view and urging me to pay. I have never had a conversation with this Psychologist, he does not know me other than through what XOXO has told him.

I'm afraid that even if I do pay to shut down a company that I'm no longer legally or financially responsible for, that it won't stop there. That XOXO could sue me later for other damages. That paying would somehow implicate me in this.

Lastly, XOXO also confided in me that his Psychologist was waiving some of his fees (at least back when we discussed these things together) so when I see the emphasis on the "mountain of 'crippling debt'" in the same paragraph as "paying for these outstanding expenses is a relatively simple way" to end this, I think the Psychologist may also have a vested interest in XOXO getting out of this financial crisis.

What should I do?

(California)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

areyoucontagious posted:

I don't want to Google this. What is it and why does it make this girl think it's a good idea to open the relationship?

Also, have some goddamn dignity, dude.

Its just a pop-science book, man.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fruit on the bottom posted:

My [22F] sister [26F] got paid a lot of money to do a photo shoot as this character poison ivy. My mother [60F] is calling her a disgrace because she's a mother.

"Leave our company and pay the fees on your way out," my cofounder says. I did. Nine months later, "He's suicidal and he says it's your fault. Pay to shut down the company so he can move on," his psychologist says.
A lovely mom and an incredibly lovely psych who should have his license revoked permanently.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

I don't want to Google this. What is it and why does it make this girl think it's a good idea to open the relationship?

Also, have some goddamn dignity, dude.

Its a pop evo psych book about how human women in paleolithic societies probably schtupped a variety of different people and that multiple male partners was the norm.

Its as relevant as you arguing with the cops paleolithic man did not get arrested for making GBS threads in public.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

This psychologist sounds entirely legit & professional

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Also lmao at the completely spineless and credulous op. No wonder things didn't work out at the company they cofounded

Barudak
May 7, 2007

p rude posted:

Also lmao at the completely spineless and credulous op. No wonder things didn't work out at the company they cofounded

He writes in boring corporate speak but seems uncertain if what he is looking at is his rear end or a hole in the ground.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its a pop evo psych book about how human women in paleolithic societies probably schtupped a variety of different people and that multiple male partners was the norm.

Its as relevant as you arguing with the cops paleolithic man did not get arrested for making GBS threads in public.

They also raised kids as a group but people like to cherry pick out the "it's normal to bang everyone under 40 in the condo association and if you judge me for that you're uneducated and mean"

Edit: Dan Savage is really into it that should paint a picture

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's some poo poo right there. Hopefully the kids are actually his and not some 8th grader's.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
e: q is not e

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Wondering if that pop-sci evo-psych book has any hot takes on compersion amongst Bonobos

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

COMRADES posted:

e: q is not e

Even if he did DNA test, he's on the birth certificate (I would assume) and he's been a father to the child for 8 months, the courts would probably not terminate his fatherly rights if he petitioned and give them to a 15 year old kid.

I guess what I'm saying is, hopefully he doesn't open that can of worms and stays away from that line of thinking.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

people in paleolithic societies were also typically related to each other since humans typically lived in small kin groups, so obviously allow girlfriend to gently caress her cousins as much as she wants

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Slim pickings from the relationships sub tonight. Looks like legal has most of the juicy stuff. This is the best I found:

I [25 M] started making more money than my girlfriend [24 F] of 4.5 years and have to pay for everything except the nice things she buys herself.

quote:

u/Uncledowntown
When we started dating we were broke in college and paid for our own stuff or split mutual stuff down the middle. About a year ago I started making about double what she makes. At first I didn't mind buying her food, drinks, tickets, etc. But she recently, went on a month trip to Europe and bought a nicer car than mine, all with her own money. However, now she has no money left and I have to pay for everything. I guess I'm salty she had a cool experience and drives a cool car while I worked and saved, and because of that, I now I have to pay for her stuff.

She works at a school and has been on summer break. She just went back to work this week.

I plan on marrying her soon, so this isn't anywhere near a deal breaker but I do feel weird about it. Ultimately, I'm saving for a house but that's hard to do when I'm paying for everything.

TLDR; I make more money than my girlfriend so I pay for her stuff but she buys nicer things than I have with her own money.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Well that that all sounds reasonable. Meanwhile, I'm going to go throw spears at my neighbor's cats because that's what Paleolithic man did with cats in the pleistocene age

:catdrugs:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Milotic posted:

Slim pickings from the relationships sub tonight. Looks like legal has most of the juicy stuff. This is the best I found:

I [25 M] started making more money than my girlfriend [24 F] of 4.5 years and have to pay for everything except the nice things she buys herself.

Lol what a bitch, both of them, she's a bitch for doing that and he's a bitch for taking it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

Why are you looking to buy when you should be leasing?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

p rude posted:

Wondering if that pop-sci evo-psych book has any hot takes on compersion amongst Bonobos

I nearly got a job with some crazy doctor who runs the Bonobo Institute. I would have had to live in her place along with several other people doing "phone psychology" (phone sex). She listed the job ad as being a writing assistant so I went into it with that mentality.

Anyway I figured out it was bullshit pretty quickly when she couldn't tell me what her readership was and after a little research into it I figured that I'd basically be a prostitute. Which was actually pretty appealing at the time since I really hated my then-current job.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Barudak posted:

Did paleolithic humans even understand how babies are made? They probably serial hosed because it felt good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My fiancée and I have been receiving disheartening text messages for the last 5 years. Need your help

quote:

Hi Reddit, first time poster here, but I honestly feel helpless with nowhere to turn for safety.

So bottom line someone is texting our phones saying poo poo like "anon is cheating on you, he hooks up with girls at work" etc the whole 9 yards. Maybe once a week. Nonstop. For the last 5 years of our relationship. We have tried blocking the numbers but the messages always come from a new number, or from one of the hundreds of free texting websites or a fake email that they made.

Now for some backstory

I'm 25M and my fiancée is 24F We met in college and have been together ever since.

She has had one serious SO before me. They split in high school before college. I had 2-3 serious/sexual relationships before we met.

Never had a "good" breakup with any of them. It was always full of drama and blame and I have never spoken to any of my former SOs since we split.

It's really getting in my fiancées head because it's always regarding me doing something unfaithful. We have trust between us but imagine you were relentlessly told your SO was cheating/wanted to be with someone else/ etc. my fiancée is somewhat self conscious and has anxiety and it gets in her head and has started multiple arguments between us.

This "texter" as we've come to call them knows really specific details about our life together that make us feel reallllly really violated. They know when we haven't been intimate in a few days and then send something like "anon hasn't had sex with you because he's getting it at work" or whatever.

But neither I nor my SO have any friends we talk to and aren't close with neighbors/family at all. Which really freaks us out. First time was coincidental but after that it feels like they have cameras in the house or some poo poo.

Like I'll google something on my phone and somehow they'll see my history or whatever and find some link on some webpage I visited that has the slightest sexual reference and they'll use their words and twist it to sound like I was searching for a new date or like plastic surgery boobs or something. But it's like how the gently caress do they even see that.

Reddit I really need help. We both have strong guesses who it could be. I'm guessing one of my former SOs who thinks I cheated on them. None of them ever /seemed/ batshit crazy... but you never know.

Last relationship I had was in high school. We literally live across the country from where we grew up and have absolutely no connections to our home towns at all. It's like just drop it already

Just want some advice Reddit. Not trying for upvotes or anything.

Edit: Thanks for the support guys. Do you think changing numbers will be enough? I feel like they'll just somehow find the numbers and continue their childish actions. It's really taking more toll on our relationship than you might expect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My fiancée and I have been receiving disheartening text messages for the last 5 years. Need your help

"Reddit user, we tracked down the source of the texts" "Thank god, where are they?" The texts are coming from... inside the house"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

Did paleolithic humans even understand how babies are made? They probably serial hosed because it felt good.

yeah its not hard to figure out

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

This idiot needs to change his passwords and stop Googling poo poo like "Why haven't I had sex with my wife in two days?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shot - My [23F] BF [26M] of a month is trying to guilt me into running a 5K in his place. I said no, he won't let it go. Who's wrong?

quote:

Hey all, here's the scoop. I've been seeing this guy for a month now. Nothing super serious, but we like each other a lot. This is the first real issue we're having and it's completely insane to me. He enjoys running (lives by Central Park) and is planning to do the NYC marathon. You need to run a certain number of races to qualify for this. He has a 5K coming up this Saturday in Harlem, but is being sent away for the weekend for work and can't run it.

Here's the issue. I hate running. My knees hurt and they pop a lot. Also, I live in NJ, about 20 minute drive from the George Washington bridge. I don't want to go to Harlem on a Saturday morning alone. So he's asked me to run the race as himself. I said I don't run (I cycle). He said I can walk it. This is true but I just don't want to. He keeps bringing it up and making comments about it. He can still enter the marathon he just needs to register for an extra race.

I am honestly considering dumping him over this. He found out he was being sent away on Tuesday and since then hes been bugging me to agree to do it. He will apologize when he sees I'm annoyed but then keeps at it later in the day! I'm supposed to drive up tonight and hang by him today/tomorrow but I'm just so over it. Am I crazy?

TL;DR New BF is annoying the crap out of me about doing a 5K in his place. I don't run and don't want to waste my time. Thoughts?

Chaser -

quote:

EDIT: thank you all so much! I told him why it wasn't going to work out and he tried to backtrack and say he was just kidding. Yeah well jokes are supposed to be funny, and he ain't no Jim Jeffries. Bullet dodged. Thanks again y'all!

:toot: :sever: wins again!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Change your loving passwords like yesterday.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Im no expert but my understanding is as soon as animal husbandry existed humans got pretty good at the loving = babies concept.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Barudak posted:

Im no expert but my understanding is as soon as animal husbandry existed humans got pretty good at the loving = babies concept.

Yeah if there's one thing our brains are good at, it's finding patterns. Yeah, we "find" patterns where none exists, but it's *really* effective at finding ones that do. gently caress + 9 months = baby is one we'd probably pick up on real quick.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I went over to legal advice. Rel is not giving me what I need.

(Utah) Marriage annulment questions and property.

quote:

u/BadLuckRabbitsFoot
I have been married for 4 weeks and my husband wants an annulment. In those 4 weeks my husband put me in the psyche ward twice. He had me buy a 5th wheel in my name on my credit and has been paying for it, has his truck and the fifth wheel on my insurance (I have no vehicles) ran up two credit cards, sold both of my vehicles and bought horses (one in my name which he has set free). I have property in a storage shed that he has in his name that he is hanging over my head for the fifth wheel...what can I do....oh, and I found out he is still married to another woman.

A fifth wheel is some sort of camper van it seems.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
This dummy. Reminds me of the kid who gave out his brand new checks as "souvenirs" and had the people he gave them to drain his checking account. Has that one been posted?

quote:

Drug Dealer stole debit card (self.legaladvice)
submitted 49 minutes ago by HalpMePlzTy
(Columbus, OH) So I got myself into a nice situation. An old buddy of mine came to town recently and we both got back in touch with each other. Over text and calls, he would hook me up with some substances.
He also owed me some money from way back. I regretably gave him my debit and pin # to cash a few checks to pay me back, and for him to get a little cash too. However, he said he would only be gone for a few minutes while I was at work and bring my card back. He didnt.
Instead he decided to take my card and checks from a closed bank account of his mothers and forge checks made out to my name, with my forged signature at banks all around town. Now I am thinking of filing a police report for his forgery as I am now recieveing several copies of the fake checks in the mail and have lost several hundred dollars as a result of this and do not want his mother to potentially press charges on ME.
Now I know its a lovely thing to narc and all that, but forging my poo poo and stealing my money is a step too far in my opinion. But since he has hooked me up with drugs before, and might be in possession of text messages between us, am I at any risk of backlash if I file one? The police report would be key to me getting all the money back he stole from me which amounts to almost $1000. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! thank you all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

almightyerin posted:

This dummy. Reminds me of the kid who gave out his brand new checks as "souvenirs" and had the people he gave them to drain his checking account. Has that one been posted?

"Find a time machine" is my advice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Milotic posted:

It's a articulating linkage that goes in a truck bed for large, heavy trailers. Or maybe she's talking about a trailer/camper. One is $1500 the other can run $35,000 on up.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a articulating linkage that goes in a truck bed for large, heavy trailers.

But also commonly used to refer to the trailers that attach via that linkage. She sure as heck isn't talking about insuring a linkage :haw:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

But also commonly used to refer to the trailers that attach via that linkage. She sure as heck isn't talking about insuring a linkage :haw:

poo poo yeah, I glossed over that. Then she's on the hook for something that's probably $15,000-$30,000 if it's not a camper. More if it is a camper attachment.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Milotic posted:

Uhhh, does she elaborate on the 'involuntarily committed to psych ward twice in a month' in the comments? Because that sounds like an awfully spicy meatball...

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 24, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo yeah, I glossed over that. Then she's on the hook for something that's probably $15,000-$30,000 if it's not a camper. More if it is a camper attachment.
She mentioned horses, so probably a horse trailer. Could be fairly cheap, could be literally like 80 thousand, because of course, horse people are loving insane.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Milotic posted:

Psych ward? That sounds pretty serious and.. wait hang on a seco... fifth wheel ok lets just focus on one thing at a time..... horses?? Why the gently caress are there horses not jesus christ what a mess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

[Ohio] Mom puts something in little brother's sippy cup. Told someone but they said its not abuse. What else can I do? (self.legaladvice)

Based on a true story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_nfazQaek

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Outrail posted:

Psych ward? That sounds pretty serious and.. wait hang on a seco... fifth wheel ok lets just focus on one thing at a time..... horses?? Why the gently caress are there horses not jesus christ what a mess.

When I checked it, there were no comments, and with a lot of missing information, there's a few possibilities

1) dude preyed on the woman financially, committed her twice in some attempt to try and have grounds for an annulment, evil plot to keep these assets by showing 'well, she's mentally unfit!'

2) She is having a complete psychotic break and there are no horses and this whole thing is a result of delusions/persecution complex and the husband realized belatedly he signed up for zero of this

3) both are true and it's a garbage person preying on a mentally unwell woman

This is just bananas, but at the same time, a friend of my boyfriend posts long disjointed posts on FB at times; completely out of touch with actual reality. The latest was that everyone was keeping 'something' from him that happened in CO and erased all evidence to gently caress with him, he knew the grim reaper was real because he had seen 'him', and that he KNOWS he isn't 'schizophrenic or anything' he has 'psychokinesis'.

So, horrible controlling gaslighting, or someone losing all touch with reality? Choose your own adventure! (I really want to see updates/comments on that thread)

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

A serial stalker active for 5 years and capable of planting malware on devices and physical cameras/microphones or a fiancee with borderline personality disorder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Neighbor slapped my rear end - should I ask her out? (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

I (m29) have gotten to know my neighbor over the summer pretty well - we will hang out every couple weeks. There's always been some flirtation and tension, and I'd love to date her. But I am also worried about making things weird.

Last night we were at a social event and she playfully slapped my rear end - I was surprised but smiled back at her. Does this mean she's into me?

:iiam: