Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BigRed0427 posted:

Princess each and Princess Toadstool is the same person! WAKE UP SHEEPLE. Catch them in beeeeeeeed with a blue shell.

Let me know when Alex Jones covers how the alien globalist Rosalina is in fact the real puppet master behind Peach's throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah but what's he actually talking about though.

A lot of gamergate villains broke politically right, while framing themselves as victims of SJW PC terrorism.

There's actually a lot of overlap between GG and the radicalization of white shitheads. Semi-relatedly, Bannon was introduced to the untapped reservoirs of white-hot white internet rage when it was loosed upon his gold farmers.

I realize how stupid that looks, but I'm not making this up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, Milo also jumped on the GG train, and became the "Tech Guy" for some wingnut rags, but completely wiffed at the easiest soft ball tech/game questions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This loving Soros guy...

If you pay any attention to RWM, Soros basically seems to be running the entire country. Mother fucker gets around. How do I go about getting some of those sweet Soros checks? Why have I not been contacted?

Everytime I hear a rightwing nut talk about Soros is mentally replace his name with either Bloefield or SPECTRE and pretend I'm being briefed by M.

"Soros Bloefield is an agent of global chaos, who has brought down governments! He seeks only control and is willing to use terrorism to gain it! He lives in the shadows and works through proxies!"

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

moths posted:

I realize how stupid that looks, but I'm not making this up.

The Venn diagram of 4chan posters, gators, MRAs, anti-(((globalists))), and white supremacists is a circle, and honestly you can also throw in internet libertarians and the "new atheist" / "rationalist" groups. Golly, I wonder what all of those have in common. I wonder if it's being mostly composed of middle class white males that have no other identity to attach themselves to.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, Milo also jumped on the GG train, and became the "Tech Guy" for some wingnut rags, but completely wiffed at the easiest soft ball tech/game questions.

Before he was the tech guy, Milo used to write a bunch of articles on lovely gamers being shut in nerds too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Redditors/other terrible gamers Pre-GG: gently caress that f-word for bashing us gamers!

post-GG : See even that icky f-word gets it, gently caress SJWs.

LOL at the emptiness of white male identity.

note : Milo gave himself the nickname Dangerous F-word, my use of the f-word is just a reference to his usage.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 24, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there transcripts or Hannity's radio show available online anywhere? I want to take apart his utterly vile treatment of Colin Kaepernick via guest.

Also lol at Hannity saying he supports Kaepernick's method of protesting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Turns out growing up on video games in milquetoast suburbia on a steady diet or media consumption isn't a healthy way to become socialized.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PhazonLink posted:

Redditors/other terrible gamers Pre-GG: gently caress that f-word for bashing us gamers!

post-GG : See even that icky f-word gets it, gently caress SJWs.

note : Milo gave himself the nickname Dangerous F-word, my use of the f-word is just a reference to his usage.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Star Man posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

The ridiculousness of all the things that surround gamergate and the terribleness of redditors.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Azuth0667 posted:

The ridiculousness of all the things that surround gamergate and the terribleness of redditors.

I understood that.

What the gently caress is the f-word supposed to be? Feminism?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Star Man posted:

I understood that.

In Milo yanananannananannanapolis context it means human being.

E: He was calling himself "the dangerous human being" and if I remember correctly that was also the name of his speaking tour.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Star Man posted:

I understood that.

A bundle of sticks tied together.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PJOmega posted:

Is there transcripts or Hannity's radio show available online anywhere? I want to take apart his utterly vile treatment of Colin Kaepernick via guest.

Also lol at Hannity saying he supports Kaepernick's method of protesting.

Media Matters usually does the proper takedowns at least. I would think that Hannity's website would have his transcripts and full shows on it but gently caress if I'm gonna find out because I hate that motherfucker with a passion and am not giving him traffic. There was a guy who posted on here for a while that would snag Rush transcripts but he must have had too much.

Subjecting myself occasionally to Hannity's poo poo eating radio show is plenty.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So that Chris Cantwell guy (the Nazi in that Vice special on Charlottesville) turned himself in today, apparently.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr Interweb posted:

So that Chris Cantwell guy (the Nazi in that Vice special on Charlottesville) turned himself in today, apparently.

the wrong chris c. committed suicide this year :(

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pander posted:

the wrong chris c. committed suicide this year :(

Who says he's going to be the only one to do so?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jurgan posted:

A bundle of sticks tied together.

or fascia, if you will

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In case anyone didn't still think we now live in the Bizarro Timeline, here's this:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/900872289490751488

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

In case anyone didn't still think we now live in the Bizarro Timeline, here's this:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/900872289490751488

The right using leftist people and tactics is a tried and true strategem:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What book are those excerpts from?

The style feels really familiar.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right, by Thomas Frank.

- Forgot the subtitle.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 25, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DLC Inc posted:

Ian Miles Cheong is such an unbelievable pussy

I hope the next weirdo to inadvertently out himself as a wimp is Paul Joseph Watson admitting he's afraid of women or some poo poo. as if telling people he never leaves his apartment was pitiful enough

He's publicly said it's not safe for white people to go to Sweden, which he claims is overrun with vicious feral immigrants.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

He's publicly said it's not safe for white people to go to Sweden, which he claims is overrun with vicious feral immigrants.

well it isn't safe to go to sweden but mostly because you might run into the golden one and he'll flex at you and you'll instantly become a fascist

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mister Facetious posted:

The right using leftist people and tactics is a tried and true strategem:

For all of their whining about Saul Alinsky, the right wing has successfully co-oped his tactics for their own benefit for years

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

BiggerBoat posted:

link?

Because god drat chickening out debating a YouTube celebrity.

Yeah, I highly recommend his channel. I found it years back around the same time a lot of internet atheists like Thunderfoot were becoming popular with videos looking to debunk anti-science claims. He never was associated with the movement, and has remained largely apolitical unlike a good number of people who have seem to lost their minds bitching about SJWs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, I highly recommend his channel. I found it years back around the same time a lot of internet atheists like Thunderfoot were becoming popular with videos looking to debunk anti-science claims. He never was associated with the movement, and has remained largely apolitical unlike a good number of people who have seem to lost their minds bitching about SJWs.

Bitching about SJWs brings in the dollars. Thunderfoot gets more views complaining about Anita Sarkeesian than he does trying to debunk a climate denier or whatever he used to do. He used to do science poo poo at one point?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All I keep hearing from RWM listeners and their apologists seems to be whining about how it's not OK anymore to offend people. It certainly is. It's not a crime. I do it all the time but it's usually from a place of humor where I told an inappropriate joke, was a tad off color or insensitive in the wrong social situation or otherwise misread the room and hosed up my timing. Didn't project my sarcasm strong enough.

Not "why can't I say mean things that INTENTIONALLY hurt people's feelings and avoid the consequences of it?" and complaining about the sensitivity of the people I offended over whatever stupid poo poo I said or wrote.

This stemmed from some FB friends bitching about ESPN removing a sportscaster named Robert Lee from broadcasts - and I agree that's a bit much and a misguided over reaction - but drat, people. It's a raindrop in a thunderstorm in its totality or its significance. Motherfuckers are wearing swastikas and carrying guns, chanting death to Jews in broad daylight in a public park. It's not about names or stupid statues.

Offending people intentionally - just for the sake of it - is pointless, agitating and generally dumb and unfunny. I don't offend easily but swastika armbands and calls for genocide oddly somehow seem to do the trick.

Lastly, these same idiots who are crying about "not being able to offend anyone anymore" conveniently forget that THEY are the ones claiming to be offended by the removal of the loving Confederate memorials, whining about being oppressed and organizing Nazi rallies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Lastly, these same idiots who are crying about "not being able to offend anyone anymore" conveniently forget that THEY are the ones claiming to be offended by the removal of the loving Confederate memorials, whining about being oppressed and organizing Nazi rallies.

oh no, they're not offended. they just are resisting an immoral push to delete history, it has nothing to do with being offended. other people get offended. these idiots just sigh and draw their katanas, because emotions are for the weak

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Leofish posted:

Bitching about SJWs brings in the dollars. Thunderfoot gets more views complaining about Anita Sarkeesian than he does trying to debunk a climate denier or whatever he used to do. He used to do science poo poo at one point?

Yeah, he still does videos for that, and those that he does do are pretty good if you aren't immediately turned off by his voice. I am probably setting myself up for some backlash, but he had a couple recently that addressed misinformation over Fukashima.

The point is if you want someone who produces good quality videos that takes science-denial advocates to task without being dirtied in the same way that Dawkins, NDT, Harris, and a small army of youtube Atheists have been. Potholer seems like a choice that won't fail you, I'd also recommend AronRa's youtube channel who focuses more on the evidence for Evolution vs. Creationists, with a great focus on how religious zealots try to influence the education system in Texas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

oh no, they're not offended. they just are resisting an immoral push to delete history, it has nothing to do with being offended. other people get offended.

Well, they certainly loving SEEM offended. While complaining how stupid everyone else is for being offended about their swastikas and their defense of actual, real physical memorials celebrating "heroes" defending slavery.

I get you were being sarcastic.

I'm kind of bummed that this argument is getting boiled down to the loving statues though and the ideas of vandalism, "history" and defending public property. Because it's not really about that, to me anyway, and the misdirection and false equivalencies are beginning to bug me.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, they certainly loving SEEM offended. While complaining how stupid everyone else is for being offended about their swastikas and their defense of actual, real physical memorials celebrating "heroes" defending slavery.

I get you were being sarcastic.

I'm kind of bummed that this argument is getting boiled down to the loving statues though and the ideas of vandalism, "history" and defending public property. Because it's not really about that, to me anyway, and the misdirection and false equivalencies are beginning to bug me.

Man I started to type a big long winded response about growing up in small-town/rural Midwest, and there is just so much to unpack that I don't really know where to begin. I can say that even as someone who grew up in a very secular/progressive environment, at least for the area, that racial stereotypes and jokes were still extremely common place. At the same time the idea that being a "racist" is absolutely something you don't want to be is commonly held.

It results in this weird cognitive dissonance that is really hard to describe, but it strikes me as two warring cultural messages. The overt message is that in America we are all the same people and our diversity is our strength, our traditional enemies in the past (Nazi, Confederates, etc) held opposing viewpoints, then there is the underlying messages of racial identity and "us vs. them". I am sure someone else can describe it much better than myself, but whatever you want to call it, the incompatibility of these two different viewpoints results in people defending stupid poo poo like statues commemorating traitors from states they weren't even born in(I am from Illinois).

Sorry, this is kind of a crappy explanation, but I am just trying to point out that I think many of these people are sincere in their outrage, and at the very least aren't consciously making up excuses to defend racists and fascists.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

Man I started to type a big long winded response about growing up in small-town/rural Midwest, and there is just so much to unpack that I don't really know where to begin. I can say that even as someone who grew up in a very secular/progressive environment, at least for the area, that racial stereotypes and jokes were still extremely common place. At the same time the idea that being a "racist" is absolutely something you don't want to be is commonly held.

It results in this weird cognitive dissonance that is really hard to describe, but it strikes me as two warring cultural messages. The overt message is that in America we are all the same people and our diversity is our strength, our traditional enemies in the past (Nazi, Confederates, etc) held opposing viewpoints, then there is the underlying messages of racial identity and "us vs. them". I am sure someone else can describe it much better than myself, but whatever you want to call it, the incompatibility of these two different viewpoints results in people defending stupid poo poo like statues commemorating traitors from states they weren't even born in(I am from Illinois).

Sorry, this is kind of a crappy explanation, but I am just trying to point out that I think many of these people are sincere in their outrage, and at the very least aren't consciously making up excuses to defend racists and fascists.

the people defending confederate statues bit is just because all these other ideas have been inserted into confederate remembrance, namely "heritage" and resistance of a distant, tyrannical government. the same militia types who love to pretend they're the last real patriots left who will one day fight the government red dawn style are the same types who love the idea of the confederacy based on lost cause "states rights" and other "the north started it" garbage. they get off on the idea of being independent freedom fighters.

also because they themselves are low key racists who don't like how things they like are being called out. basically every white person in america is racist, you're either in denial about it or aware of your own internal racism and how it perpetuates white supremacist power structures. this is why blue lives matter types are so tired of being called racist and how everything is racist - what they're tired of is being asked to critically look at themselves

the analogy i'd use here is alcoholism. let's imagine alcohol abuse = racism. your small 2% minority of chronic drinkers who can't hold a job and are already dying young of alcohol related complications are the severe, out and proud racists. then there are functional alcoholics, some are aware of their substance abuse. others are in denial and think that it's normal and ok to drink a bottle of wine a night or kill a rack of beer over a weekend, and they're tired of people telling them they need to stop. at this point the analogy breaks down because a large number of americans don't drink at all and there are no americans untouched by racist thought and attitudes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I can say that even as someone who grew up in a very secular/progressive environment, at least for the area, that racial stereotypes and jokes were still extremely common place. At the same time the idea that being a "racist" is absolutely something you don't want to be is commonly held.

It results in this weird cognitive dissonance that is really hard to describe, but it strikes me as two warring cultural messages.

Sounds a lot like "Im not racist BUT" combined with "those people" knowing their place and that's about as progressive as you region has gotten.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a term for a logical fallacy where you can't believe something unless you specifically declare it?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there a term for a logical fallacy where you can't believe something unless you specifically declare it?

Argumentum ad Crackerum

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

God drat it. Now you got my dumb tired rear end thinking and trying to come up with a loving joke, you rear end in a top hat.

"Excellence In Broadcasting"?

All I got.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Say it, don't race-it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
#Optics #Messaging #FailingNot2SoundFascist

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/nras-video-message-elites-coming-49433721

quote:

The election of President Donald Trump and Republican control of Congress meant the National Rifle Association could probably rest easy that gun laws wouldn't change for at least four years. But the NRA has begun a campaign not against pending legislation but what it sees as liberal forces bent on undoing the progress it's made — and the political powerhouse is resorting to language that some believe could incite violence.

Using the hashtags #counterresistance and #clenchedfistoftruth, the NRA has put out a series of videos that announce a "shot across the bow," and say the gun-rights group is "coming for you" and that "elites ... threaten our very survival," terms that suggest opponents are enemy combatants.

At least there's some public push-back from a handful of vets? We know the NRA won't speak out in defense of a black man, but will they begin to disparage veterans?

quote:

Some gun owners have cheered the videos and said they give voice to conservatives weary of media attacks on Trump; others say the videos stray from the NRA's original mission and that the NRA is inviting violence.

Joe Plenzler, a Marine veteran who served overseas and sometimes had reporters accompanying his unit, joined two other veterans in writing an opinion piece for The Daily Beast criticizing the videos.

"The NRA props up the Second Amendment by undermining and vilifying the protections afforded in the First, and paints everyone who may disagree with the current administration, our country's justice system, or the NRA's partisan political position with a very dark and unjust broad brush," Plenzler wrote with Marine veterans Craig Tucker and Kyleanne Hunter.

Plenzler, who has since dropped his NRA membership, said he was disturbed by the videos.

"Lately, it seems like they've gone well out of the bounds of any sort of sane responsible behavior. If you want to advocate for the Second Amendment, which I unapologetically believe in, that's fine," he said. "But I think at the point where you are going to demonize half the American population in a recruitment effort to get more members, I've got a big problem with that."