Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing snaps you back to reality like having your dad in the hospital. He's fine but I'm run ragged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Man the new Coke Zero tastes like a halfass compromise between Diet Coke and old Coke Zero. Terrible.

I wonder if it's different formulas in different markets, because I think the new Zero is the best non-sugar Cola bar none. And ofc just after they changed it they're killing it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I wonder if it's different formulas in different markets, because I think the new Zero is the best non-sugar Cola bar none. And ofc just after they changed it they're killing it.

They're killing it? gently caress yes. It's terrible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sup carnerds

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tide posted:

Sup carnerds

:trumppop:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tide posted:

Sup carnerds

Back from banging randoms I see.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey Tide. You doing ok?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Maybe it's just trade schools being more conservative or a regional thing or whatever but i didn't notice this. Man buns, hitlerjugens and shovelhead 2.0 is about as weird as dudes got (all awful granted, but not that weird), and I hardly saw anything extraordinary on a woman's head other than a notable (and awesome) resurgence of the ladyfro.

Yeah this. I'm doing nerdy nerdy engineering but the university is like 80% artsy fartsy (VCU) and the engineering building is close to a bunch of residence halls.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

Also, Jesus Christ, could you *possibly* sound more uneducated?
Yes, but that would make you the president of the USA by accident.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

People were fearmongering about "keep your pets inside during the eclipse or they'll go blind!!!" and vet associations had to put out statements saying "No, dumbasses, your pets will be fine because they're smart enough not to stare up at the loving sun".

Well duh, dogs can't look up

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well duh, dogs can't look up

https://twitter.com/brittlestar/status/900814145141997570

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
After going through a few "final" interviews my managers let me know I got the promotion I was aiming for! School started too and it's kicking my rear end already but it's a good kind of rear end kicking. Java and Discrete Math are super interesting.

TT: you're the only person I know on here used to do what I do, I made genius!

Super excited about that and driving down to Austin for my companies Pride parade event. After driving from Dallas to Seattle and back again, 3 hour road trips seem like a cakewalk.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Biodome posted:

After going through a few "final" interviews my managers let me know I got the promotion I was aiming for! School started too and it's kicking my rear end already but it's a good kind of rear end kicking. Java and Discrete Math are super interesting.

TT: you're the only person I know on here used to do what I do, I made genius!

Super excited about that and driving down to Austin for my companies Pride parade event. After driving from Dallas to Seattle and back again, 3 hour road trips seem like a cakewalk.

dude that fuckin owns, congrats!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Previa_fun posted:

Lol yeah people who speak differently than me are dumb as gently caress

but in this case it's true

Yeah, I'm not going to call out someone who's ESL for bad grammar, but if you're a native speaker and can't be arsed to use something resembling good grammar, you're lazy, uneducated, or trying to sound like it.
Also, I said uneducated, not dumb/stupid. There's a difference. but in this case it's stupid

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, but that would make you the president of the USA by accident.

Oh, ouch.

The look on the dog's face. "Oh, hey, you're here."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Back from banging randoms I see.

hahahaha somewhat. single women in their 30s and 40s are crazy. at this point, I'm thinking if they were sane they wouldn't be single.

Wrar posted:

Hey Tide. You doing ok?

yeah, doing well. no real complaints.

just kind of got..tired..of SA for a while. Has the RAAWWRWHARGBBLTRUMPRAAWWRWHARGBBL died down or no?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

hahahaha somewhat. single women in their 30s and 40s are crazy. at this point, I'm thinking if they were sane they wouldn't be single.

yeah, doing well. no real complaints.

just kind of got..tired..of SA for a while. Has the RAAWWRWHARGBBLTRUMPRAAWWRWHARGBBL died down or no?

politichat ist verboten im cjs

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Tide your avatar reminds me of bradley cooper in a hair visor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvYTUSez_0

Protip: This clip is a proclick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's amazing how effective pooping is at relieving a hangover.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's amazing how effective pooping is at relieving a hangover.

Can't say I've ever tried that remedy.
But I also don't get hangovers :smug:
It's possible I don't drink enough.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Not the only place that I posted this, but might as well lay out my thoughts a little more.

So I've come to a point in my projects where it makes sense to learn a good finite element analysis software package. I was poking through the ANSYS page (which I've touched before but a long time ago) and came across this: http://www.ansys.com/products/academic/online-masters-degree

Which, it's ANSYS (which is a known industry-standardish software company) setting it up so there's some legitimacy, AFAICT the university they're working with is legitimate and accredited, and if it's at all looked at as legitimate it would be a nice thing to have on the resume... like, if there's a difference between that and "self taught but look I can demonstrate I've used it for personal projects, really, believe me!" it might maybe be worth it, possibly.

Yeah yeah I know get a real degree... I'm not keen on commuting for a "real" Masters degree, and as far as I can remember my undergrad GPA was kinda poo poo (I mean I was a bad student with mental health issues but I got my piece of paper) so as far as I can tell it would be a pain in the rear end to get my rear end into a Masters program.

I mean I'm going to self-teach myself this poo poo anyway, I just had the thought that maybe with a bit of extra work it could (maybe?) help careerwise too. Load of BS?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're keeping dad another day for observation. I do not enjoy this worrisome feeling.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rhyno posted:

They're keeping dad another day for observation. I do not enjoy this worrisome feeling.

I hope he's ok. The thought of losing either/both of my parents is my biggest source of dread because I know there's no way to be ready for it no matter how near or far away it is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

I hope he's ok. The thought of losing either/both of my parents is my biggest source of dread because I know there's no way to be ready for it no matter how near or far away it is.

Ditto, to both of those.
Being the oldest, I probably get to deal with all the estate stuff as well. I look forward to a number of breakdowns while sorting through all their stuff and the memories that will trigger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's okay so far. Thanks guys.

I'm not the eldest but my older sister has a very strained relationship with him so it will no doubt all fall on my shoulders. Thankfully Dad is very on top of this and has a full will with a breakdown of what goes where, all I'll have to do is sign some papers.

But gently caress that, I hope he lives another 40 years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:rip: Texas

By Tuesday, it'll have floated into Mexico. What an immigration disaster.

Edit: hope he gets poo poo knocked out soon, Rhyno.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

Not the only place that I posted this, but might as well lay out my thoughts a little more.

So I've come to a point in my projects where it makes sense to learn a good finite element analysis software package. I was poking through the ANSYS page (which I've touched before but a long time ago) and came across this: http://www.ansys.com/products/academic/online-masters-degree

Which, it's ANSYS (which is a known industry-standardish software company) setting it up so there's some legitimacy, AFAICT the university they're working with is legitimate and accredited, and if it's at all looked at as legitimate it would be a nice thing to have on the resume... like, if there's a difference between that and "self taught but look I can demonstrate I've used it for personal projects, really, believe me!" it might maybe be worth it, possibly.

Yeah yeah I know get a real degree... I'm not keen on commuting for a "real" Masters degree, and as far as I can remember my undergrad GPA was kinda poo poo (I mean I was a bad student with mental health issues but I got my piece of paper) so as far as I can tell it would be a pain in the rear end to get my rear end into a Masters program.

I mean I'm going to self-teach myself this poo poo anyway, I just had the thought that maybe with a bit of extra work it could (maybe?) help careerwise too. Load of BS?

I did ANSYS for about 3 years and some change at my first job. It was archaic as poo poo back then (2008-2011) and I don't know if much has changed since they were hell bent on keeping that 80s/90s software interface (old rear end slide rule engineers use this program and don't like change). They had another software (Workbench) which was newer but not sure if it was as powerful in what you could do. It was like the dumbed down GUI version with less options as far as I can tell but much easier to model things. Modeling things in Ansys sucks dick though, it's not intuitive or friendly in that regard. Most everything was made in UG and imported in.

FEA sounds cool in theory but you don't want to work in that field (or at least I didn't). Self teach yourself and you can still list it on a resume without some weird niche degree. It's used in Aerospace but I'm not sure what other industries really use it. Auto uses CATIA I believe.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

:rip: Texas

By Tuesday, it'll have floated into Mexico. What an immigration disaster.

Edit: hope he gets poo poo knocked out soon, Rhyno.

Pffft. It's not even cloudy up her in DFW It was this morning On the plus side, it's *only* 88F.

edit: well, it wasn't at lunch. It is now that I went and found a window.

edit 2: Wow, I used to live in Victoria, TX back in '84. Never had to weather a hurricane while I was there, but seasonal heavy rainstorms were entertaining enough. They're about to get wiped.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 25, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Larrymer posted:

I did ANSYS for about 3 years and some change at my first job. It was archaic as poo poo back then (2008-2011) and I don't know if much has changed since they were hell bent on keeping that 80s/90s software interface (old rear end slide rule engineers use this program and don't like change). They had another software (Workbench) which was newer but not sure if it was as powerful in what you could do. It was like the dumbed down GUI version with less options as far as I can tell but much easier to model things. Modeling things in Ansys sucks dick though, it's not intuitive or friendly in that regard. Most everything was made in UG and imported in.

FEA sounds cool in theory but you don't want to work in that field (or at least I didn't). Self teach yourself and you can still list it on a resume without some weird niche degree. It's used in Aerospace but I'm not sure what other industries really use it. Auto uses CATIA I believe.

Apparently since then it's all moved to Workbench, at least from poking around on the outside. I suppose that's a good point though, in terms of "well and then what?" - it's kind of expensive to get a certificate for something people aren't necessarily looking for.

Weird that CATIA and Solidworks are both still things given they're owned by the same people now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they are still vastly different products at different price points

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I built a Porsche GT3 RS

Has a working dual clutch transmission, LSD & steering rack

The parts after separating them out for stage 1... of 4. My workspace size planning was... optimistic.

It's 24"x9"x6" tall and larger than I expected. 1/8th scale, 2704 pieces.

even has a Lego Porsche bag to go in the frunk.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Now push it off your desk and film it. For science.

nice!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

He's okay so far. Thanks guys.

I'm not the eldest but my older sister has a very strained relationship with him so it will no doubt all fall on my shoulders. Thankfully Dad is very on top of this and has a full will with a breakdown of what goes where, all I'll have to do is sign some papers.

But gently caress that, I hope he lives another 40 years.

hosed up thing seeing your dad in the hospital. Glad yours is doing ok.

STR is up around DFW, isn't he? That poo poo just got bumped up to a Cat 4.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The problem for most of Texas isn't going to be the wind, but the rain. The dang thing is going to just soak the coast for ~72 hours. Get to higher ground ya'll.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Iirc, there is a texas AI goon in houston. Stay safe duder. :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So my apartment complex is going through a makeover.. slapping some new paint on, mostly cosmestic poo poo.

They were supposed to paint my building Wednesday, so Wednesday and Thursday I had my car moved. Parked in front of my building last night...

I guess I own a car cover now?

Oh dear, however will I know what card was left on my door this time?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

STR is up around DFW, isn't he? That poo poo just got bumped up to a Cat 4.

Yeah I'm a bit east of Dallas.

... 400 miles from where Harvey made landfall. :v: We got a nice cold front though, it's supposed to be downright nice the next few days.

I have a lot of friends on the coast though. So far all are accounted for.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 26, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mmmmm, Leek, Bacon and Potato soup

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Mmmmm, Leek, Bacon and Potato soup

looks good! I made some of this the other night too

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm going to do some of that poo poo. A leek is only 99c and I've got everything else. Might bake a beer bread to go with it.
E: I usually buy potatoes out of habit as some times I use them a lot, but everything on my horizon is getting rice or pasta this week (haven't used rice for ages). So these potatoes I have aren't doing anything now, so they need to go.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 26, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Reddit.com/r/boxingstreams is an interesting forum I stumbled upon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, some .40 S&W shells were blocking the drain on the windshield cowl around my wiper motor, causing it to flood during last night's rain, causing failed wipers (because the control module is INSIDE the motor housing).

Cleared out the...blockage..., resoldered the joints on the motor control board, and schmeared everything up with half a cup of dielectric grease. Works again, for now.

• Locked thread