Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/DougHenwood/status/896507233588178947
https://twitter.com/palebirdy/status/896480254952435712
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/896490866386259969
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/896493651299155970
https://twitter.com/eclecticbrotha/status/896729849041178625

Here, Fulchrum. A little sample of woke, well-meaning liberals hissing at the dreaded alt-left mucking things up in C-ville before they had to be shamed by fuckin' Trump into not having the humanitarian instincts of spiders. There's more and worse out there, but honestly you're not worth the effort.

Tell me more about that persecution complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

just lol if we get to 2019 and every discussion is still in context of the 2016 primary

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sephyr posted:

https://twitter.com/DougHenwood/status/896507233588178947
https://twitter.com/palebirdy/status/896480254952435712
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/896490866386259969
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/896493651299155970
https://twitter.com/eclecticbrotha/status/896729849041178625

Here, Fulchrum. A little sample of woke, well-meaning liberals hissing at the dreaded alt-left mucking things up in C-ville before they had to be shamed by fuckin' Trump into not having the humanitarian instincts of spiders. There's more and worse out there, but honestly you're not worth the effort.

Tell me more about that persecution complex.

how much sheetcake are these people eating now? or donuts?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

just lol if we get to 2019 and every discussion is still in context of the 2016 primary

It will never end

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

remember when the media tried to pretend that bernie was stealing credit from bruce rappaport wrt marching in civil rights protests? that sure is kid gloves!

So literally the best you have for this media smear campaign is one Washington Post writer saying that it wasn't Sanders in one photo, which he then walked back? This is the greatest injustice that has ever befallen anyone, according to you?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Motto posted:

The year is 2056. The USA is a shell of its former self, mostly destroyed and heavily radioactive. Survivors search through trash piles trying to find something valuable to sell or eat. One of them coughs and sighs 'If only Hillary had won.' Another yells in anger, 'No! If only Bernie had won!'
Both are then shot by corporate police for disturbing the peace.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

joepinetree posted:

In the beginning I thought that Glenn Greenwald was going overboard on his Russia investigation stance. And then most centrist publications and a bunch of Blairites and Clintonites decided to attack Corbyn for not being hawkish enough on Russia and he is absolutely right: regardless of what happens with Trump, the whole Russia thing is going to be used as a cudgel to attack anyone who isn't sufficiently hawkish on foreign policy.

OTOH,

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/900887102346416128

Cerebral Bore posted:

What's double great is that slate is super mad about Corbs congratulating Maduro once four years ago while the Tories have literally greenlighted british companies selling arms and crowd control equipment to Venezuela for nearly a decade.

I'm pretty sure they're mad at Corbs for, when asked if he'd condemn Maduro, said "What I condemn is the violence that’s been done by any side, by all sides, in all this", 6 weeks ago. That was after saying "“The people who have died – either those on the streets or security forces that have been attacked by people on the street – all of those lives are terrible for the loss of them." All lives matter, from my Jezza?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

fulchrum, peachbutt and jc all together is well-nigh unstoppable. centrist ginyu force

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Condiv posted:

how much sheetcake are these people eating now? or donuts?

We may never know. They should build statues to memorialize their stoic sacrifice.

The Monument of the Unknown Cake Eater.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

fulchrum, peachbutt and jc all together is well-nigh unstoppable. centrist ginyu force

Excuse me, I am a center-right Hillbot Neoliberal DNC-shill.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

No, I suggested that the drop in the African American vote for democrats being significantly higher for black men than black women could be explained by sexism, and you started calling me a racist for suggesting sexism is not a phenomenon limited to white men, because you're an idiot who doesn't understand intersectionality.

If the shoe fits......

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Maybe it was because Hillary Clinton had house slaves back yonder in the late 20th century that drew their ire.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

If the shoe fits......

Isn't it more the Jackboot with you people?

Because you're a Nazi, and constantly screeching Nazi propaganda, you see. I figured I might need to spell it out for you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Please don't call everyone a Nazi, it gives cover to actual Nazis and white supremacists.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum aka Peter Daou posted:

Isn't it more the Jackboot with you people?

Because you're a Nazi, and constantly screeching Nazi propaganda, you see. I figured I might need to spell it out for you.

I think this is projection. Considering you're the one who fought with Kataeb.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

Please don't call everyone a Nazi, it gives cover to actual Nazis and white supremacists.

what do you think centrists were trying to do when they were calling everyone left of hillary the alt-left? :lol:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peachfart posted:

This line of argument was used to shut down criticism of the nazis who write propaganda that Crowsbeak eagerly repeats.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh man, I know I missed all the fun but

Fulchrum posted:

It's one of the small comforts of the last election that, because of how far Hillary bent over bacwards to accommodate you petulant shits, you end up saying that the most leftist platform in history is nothing, because you keep forgetting the facts of the election and need it to be that mean old Hillary really was a centrist, because otherwise your narrative is fill of poo poo.

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, what? If you have proven that you are completely and totally incapable of ever dealing with the truth, of course they should lie to you. The Dems respect for voters and leftists in particular was a huge problem in the election, and they need to treat you like chimps.

"Hillary ran the most leftist platform in history*, and it still wasn't good enough for the petulant moronic voters!"
"Was she lying about that platform?"
"Of course she was! All the Democrats lie, every time, all the time, they have to, because if they told you what they really plan to do you'd be too stupid to vote for more bailouts for the rich and austerity for you and endless wars for your kids to die in, you don't know what's good for you!"
:discourse:

*not the most leftist platform in history

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Peachfart posted:

shut it nazi

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

shut it nazi

Heil Stalin

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

As I'm sure we all know slate is bad dem central and their insipid article about the absolute boy has some gold in the comments.

This article is written by an idiot, but although I'm not familiar with British politics enough to know how many of these claims would be true, quite a few of them would actually be really bad if they were true, with regards to Corbyn and his political views. That doesn't change the reality that the Blairites are little babies throwing tantrums and need to fall in line behind the party, however.

Also no one gives a poo poo about comment sections lmao.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
lol at that guy saying a far right dude who intentionally rammed his car into counter protestors twice and killing a woman was a "hit and run accident".

Like okay dude I get it you don't like leftists or whatever but don't downplay a murder for it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Motto posted:

"hillary's 2016 platform was the most progressive in history" ad nauseum

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

OTOH,

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/900887102346416128

I'm pretty sure they're mad at Corbs for, when asked if he'd condemn Maduro, said "What I condemn is the violence that’s been done by any side, by all sides, in all this", 6 weeks ago. That was after saying "“The people who have died – either those on the streets or security forces that have been attacked by people on the street – all of those lives are terrible for the loss of them." All lives matter, from my Jezza?
So do you and Fulchrum coordinate when you're coming off your probations so he can warm up the thread for you when you're due to be let out?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Oh man, I know I missed all the fun but

"Hillary ran the most leftist platform in history*, and it still wasn't good enough for the petulant moronic voters!"
"Was she lying about that platform?"
"Of course she was! All the Democrats lie, every time, all the time, they have to, because if they told you what they really plan to do you'd be too stupid to vote for more bailouts for the rich and austerity for you and endless wars for your kids to die in, you don't know what's good for you!"
:discourse:

*not the most leftist platform in history

I know your comprehension is bad and all, but how do you manage to mix up the future, and the past. The problem is they have been trying to respect you, and have been telling you the truth. Clearly, that is a bad idea.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

So do you and Fulchrum coordinate when you're coming off your probations so he can warm up the thread for you when you're due to be let out?

If JC and Fulchrum stopped posting in this thread it would get like 10 posts a day, this is the most activity it's gotten in a month. :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

There's also the media outlet purchased by the campaign being used to castigate Sanders for imagined sexism

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

If JC and Fulchrum stopped posting in this thread it would get like 10 posts a day, this is the most activity it's gotten in a month. :colbert:

Untrue, there have been times the centrists aren't posting and yet the thread manages to move along just fine. Please do not encourage them, I'm serious.

They don't argue in good faith, the moving of goalposts and the words they put into other people's mouths are a sight to behold. They'd much rather battle the imaginary straw version of this thread that they've constructed in their minds than actually engage honestly with any of us.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Untrue, there have been times the centrists aren't posting and yet the thread manages to move along just fine. Please do not encourage them, I'm serious.

They don't argue in good faith, the moving of goalposts and the words they put into other people's mouths are a sight to behold. They'd much rather battle the imaginary straw version of this thread that they've constructed in their minds than actually engage honestly with any of us.

I just think they're funny, and that this thread is much funnier when it's arguing with them than posting Tweets and acting like they represent the heartbeat of the American political soul in 2017.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Just that much more time we can spend vomiting at reality.

Edit: baseless and no corroboration so far, but scuttlebutt says congressional democrats are entertaining budget concessions in order to pass a censure of Donald Trump. Nothing to clearly back this yet, but it might give this thread some actual content in the future.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lightning kite is right

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Office Pig posted:

entertaining budget concessions in order to pass a censure of Donald Trump.

Giving up in exchange for a meaningless symbolic victory? No, that doesn't sound like the Democratic party to me.

...:cripes:

Lightning Knight posted:

I just think they're funny, and that this thread is much funnier when it's arguing with them than posting Tweets and acting like they represent the heartbeat of the American political soul in 2017.

If they actually were interested in arguing honestly, I'd like them more, but since I can't bring this topic up in the Trump thread (and we really need to eventually have this centrist vs leftist conversation, y'all can't just keep kicking the can down the road), I guess this is all we get.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I know your comprehension is bad and all, but how do you manage to mix up the future, and the past. The problem is they have been trying to respect you, and have been telling you the truth. Clearly, that is a bad idea.

You were asked a question about the past: "Obama abandoned promises he made in his platform; how can you point to the platform but then tell people they shouldn't expect it to be carried out" and your response was that of course the platform is a lie because the stupid untrustworthy voters wouldn't have voted for Obama if he'd said "I'm going to bail out the banks while your homes go into foreclosure, then protect Wall Street from any criminal charges even if they're flagrantly violating the law and illegally kicking you out of your homes, then I'll pass Romneycare, try to cut Social Security as hard as I can, keep torturing people in Guantanamo for eight years, and Afghanistan will become our forever war as I send soldiers to die who aren't old enough to remember how the war started"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Giving up in exchange for a meaningless symbolic victory? No, that doesn't sound like the Democratic party to me.

...:cripes:

If they actually were interested in arguing honestly, I'd like them more, but since I can't bring this topic up in the Trump thread (and we really need to eventually have this centrist vs leftist conversation, y'all can't just keep kicking the can down the road), I guess this is all we get.

How do you define "arguing honestly," because I'm pretty sure they totally believe what they're saying and aren't lying. :v:

Also l m a o that nobody loving learned from the Grand Bargain, loving morons.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

How do you define "arguing honestly," because I'm pretty sure they totally believe what they're saying and aren't lying. :v:

What I said earlier, the lack of moving goalposts would be a nice starting point, and not doing poo poo like this where they put words in people's mouth and then argue with their own constructed argument:

Fulchrum posted:

"Trump did nothing wrong and ran the most scrupulous, ethical and above board campaign ever, and that is a scientific fact" - a Leftist.

This style of communication doesn't get us anywhere. You have to engage with what people are saying, not make up strawmen and debate them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Also l m a o that nobody loving learned from the Grand Bargain, loving morons.

I mentioned centrists making GBS threads on leftist/antifa during the shitstorm in C-ville.

Fulchrum replied that it had nothing to do with anything since it was obviously right-wingers bashing on protesters.

I brought up several tweets of liberals bashing leftist counter-protesters while people were literally still bleeding on the sidewalks.

Fulchrum immediately picks on another post by someone else and starts calling people real nazis.

Rinse, repeat.

Trolls never really add much to a thread. Even when they are amusing, which JC and Fulchrum certainly aren't, they keep actual conversation and exposition from happening.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

When the centrists send their people, they’re not sending their best. They’re bringing insults. They’re bringing shitposts. They’re trolls. And some, I assume, are good people

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Does anyone really think the "most popular" label means much? I mean John McCain used to have that title and look how it turned out.

I agree Hillary is bad though. I just think it doesn't prove much except as a talking point.

It proves that, at the very least, being openly progressive doesn't turn the electorate against you.

That being said, I disagree with the "Bernie Sanders' popularity means Americans are clamoring for leftism" interpretation as well. It would be nice if it were true, but Joe Biden is almost as popular as Sanders as, which gives the impression that their popularity is more due to a combination of name recognition and perceived "genuineness". But ultimately all that matters is that moving to the left doesn't seem to harm a politician's chances, so if you believe leftism is good (which I do, and presumably most people in this thread do) there's no reason not to support leftist candidates. The "we can't be leftist because it'll hurt electoral chances" argument no longer holds much water, and it'll continue to be less and less relevant as older people continue to die off and be replaced with people born after the Great Recession.

edit: err, "who became adults after the Great Recession", not born, lol

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 26, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

When the centrists send their people, they’re not sending their best. They’re bringing insults. They’re bringing shitposts. They’re trolls. And some, I assume, are good people

:vince:

Well played, sir or madam. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

It proves that, at the very least, being openly progressive doesn't turn the electorate against you.

That being said, I disagree with the "Bernie Sanders' popularity means Americans are clamoring for leftism" interpretation as well. It would be nice if it were true, but Joe Biden is almost as popular as Sanders as, which gives the impression that their popularity is more due to a combination of name recognition and perceived "genuineness". But ultimately all that matters is that moving to the left doesn't seem to harm a politician's chances, so if you believe leftism is good (which I do, and presumably most people in this thread do) there's no reason not to support leftist candidates. The "we can't be leftist because it'll hurt electoral chances" argument no longer holds much water, and it'll continue to be less and less relevant as older people continue to die off and be replaced with people born after the Great Recession.

It stopped holding water the second the most electable centrist in history lost to a dayglo orange piss fascist

• Locked thread