Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, it'll never happen, but I'd like to see a Victory Gundam dub.

I'd also love for this to haappen.

Also while I'm here, I just learned they finally released Wing blurays here. I was hyped.

Only problem is it's nearly $200 collector's edition. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're also releasing standard sets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

EDIT. HAHAHAHA, Gundaminfo is airing the Philippine Engligh Dub of Build Fighters. Holy poo poo, redneck Mr Ral sounds amazing.

One step closer to finally getting the full ZZ Animax dub.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

One step closer to finally getting the full ZZ Animax dub.

Stupid adults.

The more you listen to the BF Dub, the more it grows on you. It's certainly not as good as a fully funded North American dub, but I think that Build Fighters is a dumb enough show that the earnest nature of the voice acting suits it. Because, let's face it, Build Fighters is really, really loving dumb, and exists entirely as fanservice and as a vehicle to sell toys. But it does so in such a fun manner that its blatant product placement comes off as dopey but charming, so the dopey but charming nature of the dub fits right in. And I cannot get enough of Mr. Ral.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lol

(From the 0083 manga.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Poor bastard is still trudging around in an outdated tank three years later.
The ground gm and gundam are both really weird for being stupidly well armored for glorified grunt suits but still lacking decent power plants. Far as I know the ground gm is the only non gundam OYW suit that has any Luna titanium in its armour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Poor bastard is still trudging around in an outdated tank three years later.
The ground gm and gundam are both really weird for being stupidly well armored for glorified grunt suits but still lacking decent power plants. Far as I know the ground gm is the only non gundam OYW suit that has any Luna titanium in its armour.

It's because the Ground GM was basically a glorified prototype unit they shoved onto the field because they needed active MSes as fast as possible. The GM that Sanders pilots early on was the space testbed variant.

The Federation basically was reverse Zeon in that they began with a ton of short-run overly-expensive prototype units and then paired them down into what worked, while Zeon began with the Zaku and then lost themselves reinventing the wheel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm really digging the connections 0083 rebellion is drawing in from 08th MS team. Miller and Sanders popping up were big surprises.

Pretty much everything is an improvement over the show, aside from it not being animated. Kou is much more of an autist rather than a dolt and Nina is naive instead of a huge ...badly written character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So is 0083 getting a seal of approval? Cause hell, I might be interested.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Full disclosure I don't mind 0083 the OVA very much but the manga does seem to address a lot of the problems, within the scope of still being essentially the same story.

Edit: This dumb gently caress still helps rebuild the mobile armor. I mean maybe you can say it's because he's a dumb mobile suit obsessed guy but they don't do anything to lessen the original 'what an idiot' sensation.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 24, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch 0083 for the animation and the music and mute it the moment anyone speaks. Except for Cima

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I have come to the realization that Metal Armor Dragonar is the best Gundam AU. I didn't think I'd find one I liked as much as IBO but okay wow this is great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I have come to the realization that Metal Armor Dragonar is the best Gundam AU. I didn't think I'd find one I liked as much as IBO but okay wow this is great.
It seemed cool based on the SRW MX LP.

Is it fully subbed?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Honestly, I really think this manga helps frame a lot of the plot holes and weirdness in the OVA, and I kinda wish I'd read the manga first. It's still got the third-best OP in the franchise though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

It seemed cool based on the SRW MX LP.

Is it fully subbed?

Only terribly so last I knew, I had to stop watching because the characters would say "railgun" in English and the subs would read "magma cannon" and it was making me angry.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Artum posted:

Only terribly so last I knew, I had to stop watching because the characters would say "railgun" in English and the subs would read "magma cannon" and it was making me angry.

despite the subs, I managed to enjoy it and get around the issues. It's a super enjoyable show and it's literally 'Happy Gundam' all the way down to the char character, villians are both good and bad guys, and lots of political goings on behind the scenes mimicking the Zeon/Feddie stuff, just blunt like a brick upside the head.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

It's a nice retelling with expanded plot/character elements and some decent art.

If you hated 0083 because Kou is a petulant manchild, he's less of a petulant manchild in this.

He still decides to repair Kelly's MA for zero reason, except it's even worse because this time he runs into Cima and Kelly literally tells him "yes, those were the Delaz fleet, I am going to take this mobile armour and join Zeon" and he still decides to go through with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artum posted:

it's great when that happens in subs and I am constantly mystified by it. like drat, did you even watch this subtitle guy?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a nice retelling with expanded plot/character elements and some decent art.

If you hated 0083 because Kou is a petulant manchild, he's less of a petulant manchild in this.

He still decides to repair Kelly's MA for zero reason, except it's even worse because this time he runs into Cima and Kelly literally tells him "yes, those were the Delaz fleet, I am going to take this mobile armour and join Zeon" and he still decides to go through with it.

Eh, nobody's perfect. If it fixes some of the flaws, I'm content with that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

GM's Counterattack is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxzLFfNW4

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

gently caress yes. So much gently caress yes. I'm at around 26 minutes and it's great.

oh poo poo

Caros
May 14, 2008

bacon flaps posted:

gently caress yes. So much gently caress yes. I'm at around 26 minutes and it's great.

oh poo poo

Very, very good. Pretty much what everyone expected when they announced the two OVAs. The TRI one sucked, and the OG build fighters episode kicked rear end.

There are a couple of odds and ends that I think they could have avoided. The theft angle was a total nothingburger, and the chick stuff with mao was a tiny bit overdone, even if the ending was fan-tucking-fastic.

I think my sole complaint is all tied up in Reiji and the ending, but even that has more to do with what I wanted out of it than necessarily what they did wrong. The return of Reiji was a tad bit too sudden and out of the blue (though honestly they do point out that it is kind of his shtick as a dimension hopping genie person) for my taste. The biggest issue is that it pretty much puts a nail in the coffin of the idea of them doing a grown up Sei build fighters sequel. If they had any intent of doing that, they'd have saved this rematch for when it would have the most dramatic punch. But if this was all they're getting, I'm happy with it.

If I were to suggest one fix, it would have been to have Reiji show up as a result of the twin brothers arista, rather than having him weirdly use that exact moment to show up out of the blue.

Extra shoutout to not only including Bearguy III, but having it carry a damaged Fellini in to take pot shots at the boss. And Mao's ridiculously over gunned, colony vaporizing gundam. And the villain reveal and, well, drat near everything!

Overall, I don't think they could have done much better within the framework of an OVA. Just outstanding, and a total return to form.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was fun.

Even in Gundam Valhalla, Katejina's bikini plan doesn't work

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was fun.

And even when they're in the title block, GMs are still jobbers.

It's not impossible for GMs to be badass, but man. They do not get the good breaks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

And even when they're in the title block, GMs are still jobbers.

It's not impossible for GMs to be badass, but man. They do not get the good breaks.

To be fair, it is a bunch of GMs against total hax gunpla. Not really a fair match at the best of times.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I had a lot of fun. There are some points I think could've been better (The Star Burning never really got a good moment to show off, for one) but considering they only had 30 minutes I can accept that they had to be a little slapdash with some of the plot elements. Lord knows I prefer "we have too much stuff for 30 minutes" over Island Wars' "we don't have enough so let's pad it out".

I am very sad that the X Jumaoh has more than 10 cannons though. Way to mess up the naming scheme!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ricardo Fellini swigging from a flask in broad daylight. I've missed him so much.

Also Sei's dad being a terrible husband again and sitting with Ral and Chinan instead of his wife.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 25, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Ecole Du Ciel any good? I'm interested at the Montreal connection, and I want to know if there are any amusing butcherings of Canadian culture in the comic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sad now because I've been reminded of how good Build Fighters 1 was and how bad Try was. This may be compounded by having listened to a few seconds of the Try dub and hoo buddy is it terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was a wonderful half-hour of gunpla battles :allears:. Also kinda nice to know the original BF Director's still able to turn out something so goddamn fun.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was fun.

After the hologram cockpits came down, I was kinda expecting one of her fellow Mafia guys to be like "uh... why are you in a bikini?..."

chumbler posted:

I'm sad now because I've been reminded of how good Build Fighters 1 was and how bad Try was. This may be compounded by having listened to a few seconds of the Try dub and hoo buddy is it terrible.

Interesting thing is it's the same writer as Try Fighters, but the original Build Fighters Director. Evidently the way to go is never let Shinya Watada near the series if you want something fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was a wonderful half-hour of gunpla battles :allears:. Also kinda nice to know the original BF Director's still able to turn out something so goddamn fun.

Isn't he doing MHA right now?

Figure that would be decent evidence in that direction on its own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was pretty good except literally everything involving Mao.

It's really sad how this short does more to give meaning to Build Burning Gundam than the entirety of Try did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

so, just like everything Mao has ever done

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pffft, Mao made me laugh because he almost validated the Katejina Gamble. Pay off was great, too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's really sad how this short does more to give meaning to Build Burning Gundam than the entirety of Try did.

I am a little pouty that the build burning was just left there as a secret for someone to find. I rather liked the idea that Sei had actually designed it for Reiji, but never got to give it to him, so h e stowed it in the trophy hoping one day Reiji would come back and stumble onto it.

Head canon, often better than actual canon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What I want to know is, why is no-one talking about The goddamn Fenice Liberta transforming into a sickass motorcycle? :stwoon:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why would Reiji stumble into a school he'd never went to?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caros posted:

I am a little pouty that the build burning was just left there as a secret for someone to find. I rather liked the idea that Sei had actually designed it for Reiji, but never got to give it to him, so h e stowed it in the trophy hoping one day Reiji would come back and stumble onto it.

Head canon, often better than actual canon.
I honestly thought this was what we were supposed to think in Try.

I liked the special overall I guess but the ending with Reiji ex machina was kind of lame.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you didn't enjoy Mao turning every glowing part of his gunpla into a beam cannon then you're dead inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's just kind of obnoxious and "master roshi as an adolescent" isn't my favorite character type.