Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure I can blame the game for Gamma Urayne and Actan when Ghetsis' Hydreigon exists. It's a rather different situation, sure, but it's still one where your cool new legendary dragon that you're forced to get is totally useless.

Only, you know, Ghetsis is a great adversary and CURIE is so edgy that you could think this was the Reborn thread.
To be fair, you have an entire fight before Ghetsis shows up to use your legendary, and once Ghetsis rolls around, it isn't insta-dead weight for the entire fight. It might be at a disadvantage at some parts, but you aren't phenomenally screwed for trying to use it against anything else that he throws at you

Like, there is a possibility that they wanted to do something similar with Actan and Urayne, but if that was the case, then they hosed it up anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

CURIE continues to be CURIE.

"haha, you fools! only now do you realize the folly of your follies!"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Goddamn Chernobyl for an ability

I don't think they could have made something more stupid/funny if they tried, barring giving Urayne a move called "Hiroshima" or "Fat Man/Little Boy"

E: Ghetsis and B/W were both supremely melodramatic, but at least he was a fun fight

Jen X fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 25, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Onmi posted:

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

There's a reason why Pokemon doesn't pull game overs and instead boots you back to a certain point. Avoiding unwinnable situations (At least very easily accessible ones) is especially important when the player has the ability to save anywhere. Just pulling off something like that is just failing basic game design.

XavierGenisi posted:

To be fair, you have an entire fight before Ghetsis shows up to use your legendary, and once Ghetsis rolls around, it isn't insta-dead weight for the entire fight. It might be at a disadvantage at some parts, but you aren't phenomenally screwed for trying to use it against anything else that he throws at you

Like, there is a possibility that they wanted to do something similar with Actan and Urayne, but if that was the case, then they hosed it up anyways.

Hydreigon is the only real issue with trying to use your legendary dragon, and it's one Pokemon out of six. So yeah, it's not nearly as bad with what Uranium pulls here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Of course, you can always not add the legendary dragon to your party.

And then beat both N's legendary dragon and Ghetsis' Hydreigon with Shakes the Maractus for good measure.

(although looking back at that LP, Zsa Zsa did the heavy lifting on the Hydreigon. Shakes' sucker punch finished it off though)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's a reason why Pokemon doesn't pull game overs and instead boots you back to a certain point. Avoiding unwinnable situations (At least very easily accessible ones) is especially important when the player has the ability to save anywhere. Just pulling off something like that is just failing basic game design.
Continuing the Ghetsis example, there's a PC somewhere in the castle, or a grunt who teleports you back to the Pokemon center, or something like that. Even in Sun/Moon, when you enter Ultra Space you can have Nebby take you back. There's always a way to backtrack to a box.

Also these are games balanced for children, so even things that are relatively hard can be beaten by whatever dudes you happened to pick up along the way. And item spam is always an option, and basically nothing outside postgame content is mean enough that you can't get ahead that way.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs thought Urayne being that overpowered was actually cool and good and the kind of difficulty real gamers want.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My strategy involved repeatedly reviving Actan until Gamma Uradyne's SpA was -6 then murdering it.
Because my team was way too fair to deal with this bullshit.
For reference:

http://imgur.com/Rq6zdnc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I just took a look at Clover's Wiki and honestly the weirdest thing is that the pokedex is a 50/50 mixture of hate speech and pokemon that aren't jokes at all. If you're going to make a horribly offensive comedy game at least commit to a tone.

It's largely inoffensive to someone who regularly browses 4chan since the theme isn't being offensive per se, but to be as "meme" as possible. That does mean being occasionally offensive, but not constantly. :shrug:

Going purely by pokemon that's intentionally offensive, I'd say about 10% of the entire dex falls under that category (there's more than 20 I counted, but it might be higher depending on your sensibilities). At least 75% of it is some sort of meme, reference, or joke, offensive or otherwise, though.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Also these are games balanced for children, so even things that are relatively hard can be beaten by whatever dudes you happened to pick up along the way.

Fixed this for you. That part is unnecessary when the thing you're comparing it to is Uranium.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
This kind of thing seems to always happen with fangames and mods and such. They have the knowledge, so they make things to 'challenge' them. Then they wonder what went wrong when everyone else pipes up with 'It's too hard'.

I don't think I've seen anything that didn't fall into that.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I just love that you managed to poo poo all over Uranium's final battle with the best Pokemon in Uranium. What a way to end the story.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
ahaha, eat poo poo, curie. Who needs your melodramatic boasts about DEATH AND AGONY when an adorable dino baby can just stall out everything?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I loving hate CURIE because of his/her/it's "I have a tragic backstory but everything I say sounds like a try-hard 90's cartoon villain" mindset. Who talks that way? People don't think that way. People don't wake up and say "Gee, how many puppies can I punt into a reactor today to be evil", they would justify their evil acts. "Okay, I need to gather puppies to punt into the reactor because *reasons*". "I feel bad about punting puppies in, but it's the only way I've found for *reason*". Not "Mwahahahahaha, you foolish fools who do foolish things for foolish beliefs! I've stolen all the puppies and punted them all into the reactor for reasons that not even I have thought about!"

Or the psychopaths have more character development and are better written than that.

I honestly question what CURIE adds that just having Urayne on its own causing the trouble wouldn't have been better. Just have it be a unique legendary Pokémon that eats radioactive material and emits high quantities of radiation, and the reason that it goes after the nuclear plants is because humanity accidentally mined into its cavern home and it's attracted to the high concentrations of refined radioactive material. You could still have the final volcano showdown because by this point, all of the reactors have been hit by it and the volcano has the next largest (natural) supply of radioactive materials. Hell, have the Hazmas be a species of Pokémon that evolved alongside it and fed off of its emissions. Boom, you have something causing chaos and shutting down plants, a final showdown, and you cut out the tryhard edgelord crap.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
but then no one will know what a cool and gritty and very adult writer you are

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Randalor posted:

I honestly question what CURIE adds that just having Urayne on its own causing the trouble wouldn't have been better. Just have it be a unique legendary Pokémon that eats radioactive material and emits high quantities of radiation, and the reason that it goes after the nuclear plants is because humanity accidentally mined into its cavern home and it's attracted to the high concentrations of refined radioactive material. You could still have the final volcano showdown because by this point, all of the reactors have been hit by it and the volcano has the next largest (natural) supply of radioactive materials. Hell, have the Hazmas be a species of Pokémon that evolved alongside it and fed off of its emissions. Boom, you have something causing chaos and shutting down plants, a final showdown, and you cut out the tryhard edgelord crap.

You're right, Metroid Prime is a better game than this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I didn't even realize that what I wrote was basically the plot of Metroid Prime but without "also, Space Pirates doing hilarious experiments that end in failure".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I now want the dialogue you get for losing, cause to game over in a pokemon game, the plot would have to outright kill you on the spot. I mean all the other times you just white out, so a game over means U R DED SON

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I definitely wouldn't expect any extra dialogue for losing - just a straight game over screen, like you'd get if you lost in the Nuzlocke mode (barring any fights that it's fine to lose in a normal game like the first rival battle). At least I assume you get a game over screen if you lose in the Nuzlocke mode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Randalor posted:

Huh, I didn't even realize that what I wrote was basically the plot of Metroid Prime but without "also, Space Pirates doing hilarious experiments that end in failure".

It's too bad no one in this game is anywhere near as entertaining as the Space Pirates in Prime 2.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Reading about Science Team's incompetence was one of the best things about the Prime trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FPzero posted:

It's too bad no one in this game is anywhere near as entertaining as the Space Pirates in Prime 2.
MP2 (the entire Trilogy (+1 if one wants to preemptively count Prime 4)) was basically Space Pirates and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Bunch Of Months

Imagining the games from the Space Pirates' point of view makes the entire Phaaze incident a flat-out comedy

I can't wait for more of their suffering

Scanning one slow-moving metroid in their base in Prime will actually show that it ate a pet treat and has indigestion

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Next time: the sympathetic backstory that makes us feel sorry for CURIE and Urayne.

Literally why would you do this with a villain that literally just quoted Oppenheimer and was about to blow the entire region to pieces.

Why.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They got the order of operations of "how to build a sympathetic villain" wrong. :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

Literally why would you do this with a villain that literally just quoted Oppenheimer and was about to blow the entire region to pieces.

Why.

I mean that isn't unusual for a game to do but... we've seen CURIE all of, what, two times? Maybe three?
And their dialogue hasn't really amounted to much.

If you want to try and redeem a villain, you usually have to sprinkle a bit more throughout the game about them. Or you know, make them actually exist for more then 5% of the game :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

MP2 (the entire Trilogy (+1 if one wants to preemptively count Prime 4)) was basically Space Pirates and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Bunch Of Months

Prime 1: "Hey cool, we found some space rocks! Let's see what they do! ...okay, control may be a bit of a problem, but we'll get there. Oh poo poo, Samus is here."
Prime 2: "Oh poo poo, there's more than one Samus."
Prime 3: "Oh poo poo, Samus is controlling us! Help us, Samus!"

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hydreigon is the only real issue with trying to use your legendary dragon, and it's one Pokemon out of six. So yeah, it's not nearly as bad with what Uranium pulls here.

Seconding this, not to mention that before Ghetsis, you must fight N who leads with the other mascot dragon so your dragon can actually benefit from the Fusion ____'s effect. So Reshiram/Zekrom ends up being more of a reliable (but not something that can completely carry you through the end fight and thus invalidate the team you've built) asset during those two battles than a liability.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scintilla posted:

Reading about Science Team's incompetence was one of the best things about the Prime trilogy.

My favorite is when you scan the logs about trying to replicate the morph ball.

:stonklol:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Zore posted:

My favorite is when you scan the logs about trying to replicate the morph ball.

:stonklol:

Ah yes, the fact they literally haven't had one test where the tester's spine didn't shatter.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bloodly posted:

This kind of thing seems to always happen with fangames and mods and such. They have the knowledge, so they make things to 'challenge' them. Then they wonder what went wrong when everyone else pipes up with 'It's too hard'.

I don't think I've seen anything that didn't fall into that.

There's a few redesign mods for FFT that aren't total trashfires, and AM2R doesn't require anything like physics manipulation or really anything too much worse than you'd expect from actual Super Metroid.

You better believe if a romhack claims to "fix balance issues", though, it's shifting the paradigm to Bullshit Difficulty.

Epicmissingno posted:

I definitely wouldn't expect any extra dialogue for losing - just a straight game over screen, like you'd get if you lost in the Nuzlocke mode (barring any fights that it's fine to lose in a normal game like the first rival battle). At least I assume you get a game over screen if you lose in the Nuzlocke mode.

So, uh, I have no living Pokemon.

Against Tath there it softlocks with this runtime error. I have no way around her. Maybe I could catch something?

Nope. Similar runtime error.

They might have fixed that. I forget. But at least when OFS showed it off, you sure didn't.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Racist bullshit aside, you know what I like about Clover?
There is a sign in the game that says 'This game isn't designed for Nuzlocke runs, but if you're stupid enough to try then go for it.'
Instead of pretending it's a legit option ie this game.
Because you can't just throw whatever bullshit you want at Tico and expect to not get your rear end set on fire.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm watching someone stream Clover and there's some really bad (read: offensive) jokes mixed in with some good ones. The "lightyears away from Brock" one is good, but then there's the second gym path being in the shape of the transgender symbol as a dig at tumblr. Those are just minor examples.

Post the major examples.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

KataraniSword posted:

They might have fixed that. I forget. But at least when OFS showed it off, you sure didn't.

The reason for that happening, though, was because OFS tried to enter a battle with no living Pokemon. The first rival battle is, to my knowledge, the only fight in the game where you can lose without getting sent back to a Pokemon Centre or the player character's house, and if you do end up losing you just get healed back up to full. Presumably they programmed that with the same code used for healing at a Pokemon Centre, which doesn't revive dead Pokemon in a Nuzlocke playthrough. Losing any other fight in said mode gives you this screen:

Presumably the game only checks for getting a game over when you would normally be sent back to a Centre or your house, which seems kind of weird.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 25, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

krisslanza posted:

I mean that isn't unusual for a game to do but... we've seen CURIE all of, what, two times? Maybe three?
And their dialogue hasn't really amounted to much.

If you want to try and redeem a villain, you usually have to sprinkle a bit more throughout the game about them. Or you know, make them actually exist for more then 5% of the game :v:

Or once more establish a sympathetic/justifiable backstory which actually makes them going the nuclear option make a little more sense.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Gonna throw out a random guess and say that our little edgelord here is Dick Solomon's Mom

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Gonna throw out a random guess and say that our little edgelord here is Dick Solomon's Mom

It's way too obvious a "twist" to not be the case.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
People have been guessing that since CURIE was first revealed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Curie being the protag's mom is so stupidly obvious that I expect Uranium to somehow gently caress up even this bone-dumb reveal. Like, inside the suit is a Nuclear Garlikid who went crazy after being corrupted and decided to kill all humans, and also it was itself a human?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

There's a few redesign mods for FFT that aren't total trashfires, and AM2R doesn't require anything like physics manipulation or really anything too much worse than you'd expect from actual Super Metroid.
AM2R actually has less complicated Shinespark bullshit than Fusion and Zero Mission, in fact. It's easier to get absolutely everything in it than in those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Is it a random guess when it's been so obviously telegraphed it hurts?

I'll be more surprised if this isn't the case.

• Locked thread