Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

That looks like they were finished building it and realized they'd forgotten the motor and just stuck it on the front.

I always thought of it as "I have a shiny motor, LOOK AT IT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

I always thought of it as "I have a shiny motor, LOOK AT IT!"

It's an aesthetic, and a practical choice - where better for an air-cooled engine?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

where better for an air-cooled engine?
*Ferdinand Porsche twitches*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

*Ferdinand Porsche twitches*

The fact that every air-cooled 911 ever yearns to kill it's owner and immolate itself by baking into a convenient tree or Jersey barrier just proves my point.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

I'm sure there's a tradeoff somewhere - weight versus rigidity, etc. Probably would need a two sided swing arm for that wide, or a really serious single-sided.

That is sweet. Hadn't seen that before. I'd think a rocket/bullet shape to the rear, possibly with stabilizer fins, would do the trick. The guys at Blastolene would know what to do, I bet.

edit: God drat - I want one now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUsE4rkfzkc

I'd be a little nervous driving something so small, low, and quiet, but I love how it looks

Darchangel posted:

It's an aesthetic, and a practical choice - where better for an air-cooled engine?

More engines should be visible from the exterior of the car. A lot of people worked hard on those beauties, might as well show them off!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I'd be a little nervous driving something so small, low, and quiet, but I love how it looks

I'm envisioning a beefed up version of a bicycle flag waving from the rear of the trike. An possibly some heavy-duty playing card in the wheel spokes.

quote:

More engines should be visible from the exterior of the car. A lot of people worked hard on those beauties, might as well show them off!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Funny you mention that, I just saw a little parade of assorted shiny bedecaled Hondas and a Golf drive past and they all had very dressed up engine bays and no hoods. So I guess that's a thing that kids are doing these days.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

It's worth noting that the engine placement on Morgans is practical for a couple of reasons: first has already been mentioned, they're air-cooled and since the cylinder fins are their radiators, it maximizes airflow; second is that they're literally motorcycle engines, and the transverse layout makes it significantly easier to adapt the engine's output shaft to a car transmission.

I mean, also, a V-Twin mounted inline to the frame would be hilariously awkward. :downs:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is my kind of trike. Ninja 900R powered (~140hp) and weighs 730lb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ll0KR3qAiQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

How close to the top of the list is Hammond's name?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Morgans are awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I had a dream a while back where I was driving some weird W3-engined Morgan. Mechanical issues aside I'm sure that would have been a hoot in real life.

An exception that proves the rule through quirky british shed engineering. Why have one wheel when you can have two, other than to scam the DMV :confused:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Never really wanted a Morgan... but now I need one.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Does anyone else remember the guys that put the drivetrain from an old Audi S4 in a tubular chassis? I think they were building some sort of hillclimb racer. There was a video of the car, just the frame, hauling rear end up a hill.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Cool engine swapped International Scout at the smog place

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TPI small blocks. All of the fuel economy of a V8, none of the power!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

afen posted:

Does anyone else remember the guys that put the drivetrain from an old Audi S4 in a tubular chassis? I think they were building some sort of hillclimb racer. There was a video of the car, just the frame, hauling rear end up a hill.

You'll find his friend over at the Grassroots Motorsports forum in the thread about his hillclimb super modified.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

TPI small blocks. All of the fuel economy of a V8, none of the power!

Sounds like the motor it came with!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know whether to put this here, or in the Crappy Construction thread.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a27924/the-worlds-fastest-street-legal-shed-can-do-96-mph/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=082517

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgdOa0D3Z8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Locator posted:

Never really wanted a Morgan... but now I need one.

I told the Northeast Morgan dealer to put my name on the mailing list for news about it when I first heard about it a year and a half ago, and I haven't heard a whisper.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I told the Northeast Morgan dealer to put my name on the mailing list for news about it when I first heard about it a year and a half ago, and I haven't heard a whisper.
Oh, Morgan's waiting lists are legendary. My dad put a deposit on one back in the 90s, and it was about 3 or 4 years later his place in the queue came round - and that's not as long as it has been. Plus their attitude was somewhat "well, these are the models we're doing now, so even if you put your deposit on a different variant at the time, tough".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Oh, Morgan's waiting lists are legendary. My dad put a deposit on one back in the 90s, and it was about 3 or 4 years later his place in the queue came round - and that's not as long as it has been. Plus their attitude was somewhat "well, these are the models we're doing now, so even if you put your deposit on a different variant at the time, tough".

The emerald ash borer really caused a disruption in their supply chain.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Finger Prince posted:

The emerald ash borer really caused a disruption in their supply chain.

I just love that in an era of self-driving cars, Morgan still has poblems from the nineteenth century.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
This is old but it popped up in my newsfeed for some reason. This is the most gorgeous aircooled engine ive ever seen.

http://i.imgur.com/rUHS2vA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rLr1JQp.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/willia...content=8773491

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DogonCrook posted:

This is the most gorgeous aircooled engine ive ever seen.

Spoken like a person who has never seen a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

Spoken like a person who has never seen a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major. :colbert:

HNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't that the engine infamous for ripping itself apart?

e:

quote:

Although mechanically reliable in flight, it developed an unenviable reputation for in-flight fires, particularly in its Boeing Stratocruiser application, and in addition the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs; requiring hours to clean or replace.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DogonCrook posted:

This is old but it popped up in my newsfeed for some reason. This is the most gorgeous aircooled engine ive ever seen.

Of course it's for a Singer. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't that the engine infamous for ripping itself apart?

e:

The variants with power recovery turbines had poor reliability records, but overall it was a pretty good engine, particularly the non-turbocompound models.

(PRTs are basically the turbine section of a turbocharger attached via a fluid coupling and shaft to the engine accessory gearbox, providing additional power.)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
What are the odds that a complete, running Wasp Major would be cheaper to buy than that Singer motor?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

boxen posted:

What are the odds that a complete, running Wasp Major would be cheaper to buy than that Singer motor?

That's a pretty tricky question. I imagine it's gonna be hard to find one that's not in service. If it is, then it's because it's broken or needs servicing or is being serviced.
If you can find one at all though, it'll probably run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000-10,000 ( I saw one on ebay 8 years ago for $3000) so there's a good chance that it's less than a Singer motor.

Edit: apparently this one sold for $2500
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22174/lot/223/?category=list

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 28, 2017

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a pretty tricky question. I imagine it's gonna be hard to find one that's not in service. If it is, then it's because it's broken or needs servicing or is being serviced.
If you can find one at all though, it'll probably run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000-10,000 ( I saw one on ebay 8 years ago for $3000) so there's a good chance that it's less than a Singer motor.

Edit: apparently this one sold for $2500
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22174/lot/223/?category=list

I have the idea that the Singer motor would cost somewhere north of a hundred grand, if they'd let you buy it without a car attached at all. Safely at least half that, I think, and 50 grand for 500 hp seems absurd to me, but I'm nowhere near the clientele of Singer. I wonder how streetable that engine is too... one one hand, I expect it to be only barely driveable due to being a 500hp aircooled engine, but on the other I wonder if Singer's clients would put up with something like that on a car they paid a million for and that's the reason a 500hp aircooled N/A motor costs so much.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If I had more money than god I'd be in line to buy one of those with a car attached.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Fifty fouled spark plugs ahahaha. I bet some pilots got tore a new rear end in a top hat doing that. I remember reading the manual for falcon 4.0 and the pilot writing it said if you hosed up firing an f16 they had to spend thirty minutes cranking some hydraulic starter and you pretty much had to cough up a case of beer at least when it happened.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm guessing that it drives really nice given that it's a 4.0, has EFI, modern cam profiles, well done head ports, and a big rear end oil cooler. Plus turbo air-cooled 911s make that kind of power and seem to work ok?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

DogonCrook posted:

That'll fit in a Baja Bug, right?

MrYenko posted:

HNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

This... might accidentally ingest a Baja Bug.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

I'm guessing that it drives really nice given that it's a 4.0, has EFI, modern cam profiles, well done head ports, and a big rear end oil cooler. Plus turbo air-cooled 911s make that kind of power and seem to work ok?

When it comes to fuel and the flame front and heat management, does EFI have to know anything about how the metal is being cooled on the outside?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

Fifty fouled spark plugs ahahaha. I bet some pilots got tore a new rear end in a top hat doing that. I remember reading the manual for falcon 4.0 and the pilot writing it said if you hosed up firing an f16 they had to spend thirty minutes cranking some hydraulic starter and you pretty much had to cough up a case of beer at least when it happened.

What's even more fun is the aftermath of starting a radial engine that's been allowed to sit for too long.

Since radial engines always have at least one "bottom" cylinder, oil will gradually pool in those cylinders over time, and if enough is allowed to accumulate, the result is normally bent connecting rods from the pistons trying to compress the oil.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

kimbo305 posted:

When it comes to fuel and the flame front and heat management, does EFI have to know anything about how the metal is being cooled on the outside?

With appropriate sensors, sure. The nice thing about modern EFI is that it's a reasonably powerful computer with the ability to consider pretty much whatever variable you care to give it an input for, so long as you write a little bit of software to deal with the implications. If you wanted to factor moon phase into your fuel / ignition maps, you could.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HandlingByJebus posted:

With appropriate sensors, sure. The nice thing about modern EFI is that it's a reasonably powerful computer with the ability to consider pretty much whatever variable you care to give it an input for, so long as you write a little bit of software to deal with the implications. If you wanted to factor moon phase into your fuel / ignition maps, you could.

"Does it have to" and "is it technically possible for it to" seem like very different questions, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Raluek posted:

"Does it have to" and "is it technically possible for it to" seem like very different questions, though

Sure, but I pretty much guarantee that any modern high-specific-output air-cooled engine's ECU measures and compensates for actual head temperature.