Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah, that would work. I would like a tube shape though, about the circumference of a juice glass, so I could just slice and go and then store the rest.

Empty tin can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

just put it in parchment or wax paper and roll into a tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nws2QEXDzSw

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I've got a couple chuck steaks (each about a pound) and want to whip them up for dinner tonight. They are very lean and grass fed hippie cows or something though so would a pressure cooker be a bad call? I'm interested enough in the meat that I'm willing to sous vide or something and have a ham sandwich instead.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Lawnie posted:

Empty tin can

GrAviTy84 posted:

just put it in parchment or wax paper and roll into a tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nws2QEXDzSw

This is the stuff! Thank you.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If you needed something more rigid than parchment, could you make a tube mold with acetate sheets?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jay Carney posted:

I've got a couple chuck steaks (each about a pound) and want to whip them up for dinner tonight. They are very lean and grass fed hippie cows or something though so would a pressure cooker be a bad call? I'm interested enough in the meat that I'm willing to sous vide or something and have a ham sandwich instead.

They are chuck, so a lot of fat and connective tissue, in other words perfect for pressure cooking or long, slow, wet cooking methods.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Truffle oil in mashed potatoes?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They are chuck, so a lot of fat and connective tissue, in other words perfect for pressure cooking or long, slow, wet cooking methods.

I'm saying they are very lean for a chuck roast, but I'm gonna say gently caress it and just throw them in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jay Carney posted:

Pork country-style ribs are also labeled correctly like 30% of the time they are an ok cut of meat but I don't buy them even when they are on sale (they are always on sale)

Tons of meat especially in major grocery stores isn't labeled correctly.

Yeah, I've pretty much learned to avoid those. If I want ribs, I'll get real ribs.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
All i'm hearing here is I should probably braise them, then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a thread for the appreciation of balsamic vinegar, the most superior of all vinegars

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No.

Butter, milk/cream, salt, pepper.

That's it.

If you're really desperate to fancy them up, roasted garlic and rosemary.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like an egg yolk in there

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Parmesan and garlic is a good combo too...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought some white wine a couple of weeks ago and never drank more than a glass of it. I feel like it's too stale to drink now but would feel bad if I just poured it down the drain. Any quick and good cooking uses for it?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Bought some white wine a couple of weeks ago and never drank more than a glass of it. I feel like it's too stale to drink now but would feel bad if I just poured it down the drain. Any quick and good cooking uses for it?

Is it sweet or dry? Fruity or more neutral? That can mean a lot.

My default answer for a dry white would be chicken French. It's a Rochester answer.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 27, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How did they make pie crusts and other flaky pastries like croissants before refrigeration?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tuyop posted:

How did they make pie crusts and other flaky pastries like croissants before refrigeration?

In cool weather, or expensively with ice. Definitely a luxury item! Hot water pastry is much more common.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

No.

Butter, milk/cream, salt, pepper.

That's it.

If you're really desperate to fancy them up, roasted garlic and rosemary.

You can also try some sour cream or some cream cheese.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe cheddar, other cheese, and/or bacon. But then you're venturing into entree territory.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

You can make short crust pastry without chilled butter, you just need to use less butter and liquid relative to the amount of flour (a little over 2 parts flour to 1 part butter by weight). The end result won't be quite as nice, but it still works quite well.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I like to chop up a leek and saute it in lots of butter, then dump the whole lot into my mash with salt, pepper and a little milk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wormil posted:

The f in 400f is for Fahrenheit, not celsius. But still I'm not sure how you'd get gray.

Right, that's still too high IMO

This isn't a great picture, because this one is just flat out overcooked:

See how the outside (on the top and bottom) are just gray and dry? If the oven is too hot, you'll dry the outside out and the inside will still be undercooked (this one is definitely not undercooked), so you want to use a lower temp to get an even cook on it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
400f is not remotely too hot. I cook loins all the time and I've never had grey. If you drop the temp any lower the longer roast time will dry out the lean meat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Right, that's still too high IMO

This isn't a great picture, because this one is just flat out overcooked:

See how the outside (on the top and bottom) are just gray and dry? If the oven is too hot, you'll dry the outside out and the inside will still be undercooked (this one is definitely not undercooked), so you want to use a lower temp to get an even cook on it.

That was probably slathered in some sugar bbq sauce

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

wormil posted:

400f is not remotely too hot. I cook loins all the time and I've never had grey. If you drop the temp any lower the longer roast time will dry out the lean meat.

It won't unless dry out unless you get over a certain temp. It's why sous-viding works.
You can totally cook loins at 400 and not over cook them, but here's a bunch of words about why you can get more consistency by going lower for large pieces of meat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
When I do pork tenderloin I sear it in a pan and then the pan goes into a 400F oven for like 10-15 minutes, that gets me an internal temp of like 130F that rises to around 140F while resting and moist, tender meat with a pink center.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

snyprmag posted:

It won't unless dry out unless you get over a certain temp. It's why sous-viding works.
You can totally cook loins at 400 and not over cook them, but ...

Neither you or Bob are even arguing "for" something, you're just arguing against me. If you guys have a better way of roasting a pork loin, post it. The world is big enough for more than one right way of doing things. Put yourself out there.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Do dogs ripen once picked? I have a tree outside my apt and they're finally starting to turn.. some of the ones I pick are still a little green at the stem, but it's a delicate balance between waiting for them to be perfect and losing them to birds or the impenetrable ivy below the tree.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I was arguing that you absolutely can do a pork loin slow and low. Here's serious eat's pork loin recipe that roasts it at 250. This isn't as useful for a smaller tenderloin, but it still works to get the insides to 140 and then sear it for a crust.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was requested to make tangerine chocolate-chip cookies, but will he (not a trained chef or anything) be able to tell the difference if I take the easier cheaper path and do orange chocolate-chip cookies instead?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Turkeybone posted:

Do dogs ripen once picked? I have a tree outside my apt and they're finally starting to turn.. some of the ones I pick are still a little green at the stem, but it's a delicate balance between waiting for them to be perfect and losing them to birds or the impenetrable ivy below the tree.

...figs?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Turkeybone posted:

:stare:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Corn dog tree.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Always let your dog ripen first

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Every dog has a dead wasp inside

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Turkeybone posted:

Put this on my gravestone. I loving love autocorrect.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
....ugh yes figs.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pommeranians are better if left to ripen fully before picking.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Turkeybone posted:

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatalTheGod
Oct 11, 2005
Hoping someone has some insight on this as this has been driving my girlfriend and I crazy! We recently moved into a new apartment in NYC, and we love to cook. However the counter layout of the kitchen has made setting up a dish/drying rack less than ideal (and we don't have a dishwasher).

So far we have considered...
- Over the sink racks, but the faucet is too tall and cabinets are too low for anything meaningful.
- Laying out a drying mat on the stove, but if we are cooking at the same time this becomes impossible.
- Putting out a dish rack on the counter opposite the stove (or opposite the sink on a cart), but this means moving wet dishes a decent distance and most likely making a mess.

The small slivers of counter space on each side of the sink at 5.5", so a bit thin for the foot print of most vertical dish racks.

I know these are the problems that come with apartment living, but does anyone have any clever ideas or suggestions? Any low profile wall-mounted dish racks you've seen? Clever repurposed items that would work in this situation?

As mentioned this has been driving us crazy and I feel like I've exhausted all my options, so hopefully a fresh set of eyes could help :)