Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might be a dumb complaint, but I kind of hate that every vampire drama is so sexy. Like yes, Vampires are an anachronistic old wives wale from Eastern Europe designed to put the fear of STDs into god-fearing christian folk, but why does every piece of vampire media have to be a sexy drama. That' why I love 30 Days of Night so much, the vampires are basically just super zombies, nothing sexy about them. Buffy, Angel, True Blood... it's like every plotline revolves around boning down even though they all have super powers and immortality.

That's why I like Blade and to a far lesser extent, Mobieus the Immortal from Spider-Man. They are vampires, but they are treated identically to mutants and very few of their storylines involve romance or boning.

Just give me a Netflix: Marvel vampire that works as a graveyard shift EMT and gets information from feeding on scumbag informants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be a dumb complaint, but I kind of hate that every vampire drama is so sexy. Like yes, Vampires are an anachronistic old wives wale from Eastern Europe designed to put the fear of STDs into god-fearing christian folk, but why does every piece of vampire media have to be a sexy drama. That' why I love 30 Days of Night so much, the vampires are basically just super zombies, nothing sexy about them. Buffy, Angel, True Blood... it's like every plotline revolves around boning down even though they all have super powers and immortality.

That's why I like Blade and to a far lesser extent, Mobieus the Immortal from Spider-Man. They are vampires, but they are treated identically to mutants and very few of their storylines involve romance or boning.

Just give me a Netflix: Marvel vampire that works as a graveyard shift EMT and gets information from feeding on scumbag informants.

This may be news to you, but sex sells.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bust Rodd posted:

As with most things, it's all Lord Byron's fault.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Watch Cronos

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bust Rodd posted:

I seem to remember Ryan Reynolds had a very loving relationship with that nice vampire lady who's fangs were in her vagina.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Shang-Chi would be good but I know his backstory is a clusterfuck regarding rights around his father. Then again Marvel has been publishing a bunch of old Shang-Chi comics as omnibus collections so maybe it has been cleared up?

Shang-Chi would be an excellent way to try and make amends for Iron Fist, for sure. Assuming they cast an East Asian lead and actually prioritized good stuntwork and fight choreography.

And actually made an ancient order of kung-fu assassins (Si-Fan) cool instead of a bunch of lame assholes (the Hand.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

Zzzz vampires silver swords zzzz

Give me a show that has an interesting and original take on vampires and I'll allow it to be a part of the MCU

the interesting and original part is that the vampires are getting the living poo poo beaten out of them by Blade

like, yeah, vampire poo poo is a dime a dozen, but as far as action vampire stuff, you've basically got... Hellsing, Underworld, and, y'know, Blade. and one of those is anime so nobody cares (even though Hellsing owns)

(I guess Castlevania on Netflix too but that's kinda light on actual vampires, more just assorted weird poo poo)

e: if you desperately want New and Exciting Vampires, Blade's still got you covered there, go watch Blade II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwFSo10TTbQ

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

What other Marvel (or even DC) heroes would be good for the Netflix treatment?

I've mentioned Moon Knight repeatedly and think it'd be perfect. Maybe something like Sandman but it'd need a big budget and might work better on HBO. Sgt. Rock or Shang-Chi maybe? The Specter? I still think there's a place for The Shadow since he's never been done well. Wracking my head here...

What about Elric?

The other Sandman, as a period piece.

Also Blade doesn't suck, he injects, get it right :rolleyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be a dumb complaint, but I kind of hate that every vampire drama is so sexy. Like yes, Vampires are an anachronistic old wives wale from Eastern Europe designed to put the fear of STDs into god-fearing christian folk, but why does every piece of vampire media have to be a sexy drama?

You should post this in the "Irrationally Irritating" movie thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631122

You ever see "Nosferatu"? I watched it for the first time ever last Halloween and, man, it was good.

McSpanky posted:

The other Sandman, as a period piece.

A Netflix original series.: The OTHER Sandman.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

docbeard posted:

The comics property I just realized I would loving love to see get a Netflix-style adaptation is Sandman Mystery Theatre. (The one with the Sandman in the 30s and 40s who was just a dude in a gas mask running around solving murders on the strength of nightmares, not the Lord of Dreams.)

Or Starman, for that matter.

Agreed. I am such a whore for retro Mystery Man/Weird Science media it is NOT EVEN FUNNY!

Not even a little bit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(I guess Castlevania on Netflix too but that's kinda light on actual vampires, more just assorted weird poo poo)

Kind of blows me away that there's an essentially R rated Castlevania animated show on Netflix, and not only that, it's based on the best Castlevania game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm pretty pumped for more Castlevania. It's short, but surprisingly good content.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

notthegoatseguy posted:

Shang-Chi would be good but I know his backstory is a clusterfuck regarding rights around his father. Then again Marvel has been publishing a bunch of old Shang-Chi comics as omnibus collections so maybe it has been cleared up?

Honestly with the dumpster fire that IF and Defenders has been, I'd like some other network to be given a shot. Maybe a system where it wasn't so blatant that Marvel higher ups are enforcing their vision and just let creators do their thing.

Fu Manchu is in the public domain; as is Smith, Petrie and Karamanah. The Daughter of Fu Manchu is not.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I was kind of checked out by the end of this series. Why didn't the cops press charges against the Jones Cage and Rand?

Also was it ever explained why Alexanrda was so fixated on the Black Sky?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Kind of blows me away that there's an essentially R rated Castlevania animated show on Netflix, and not only that, it's based on the best Castlevania game.

And written by one of the best comic writers out there IMO, Warren Ellis of all people. It was awesome.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Boy Defenders was a let down. It wasn't bad but it was excessively bland, had some of the worst villains ever, and didn't really capitalize on potentially fruitful character interactions. Never before in a Netflix Marvel show did things feel cheap like they did here. You didn't really need impressive special effects for DD, JJ or LC (I gave Iron Fist a hard pass) because they told relatively personal stories that often didn't require a huge blow out final fight. Unfortunately you promised a ratcheting up of things for the Defenders, and at times the show felt like an old episode of Hercules. They were clearly straining at the boundaries of what they could do with their budget. They either needed to try to tell a smaller scale story, or figure out more creative ways to tell a bigger story.

Anyway, thank god the Hand is done with. I do want more team up stuff because I think there's real potential between Luke Cage and Iron Fist as one pairing and Jessica Jones and Daredevil on the other side, but you gotta have more interesting villains. DD1 and JJ succeed on having really excellent antagonists, and its really a shame we didn't get more of Mahershala Ali's Cottonmouth.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I inferred from the fights that Elektra is strong enough post-zombification to beat any one or even two of the Defenders on a good day, which makes her more powerful than literally any other character in Netflix-Marvelworld. The Hand hadn't really counted on Elektra recovering her memory or the Defenders being a thing, but "villains didn't sufficiently account for the heroes doing their thing" is pretty much every punchingmans story.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Galvanik posted:

I was kind of checked out by the end of this series. Why didn't the cops press charges against the Jones Cage and Rand?

The official story was that the building's collapse was due to dangerous and unapproved construction. Since officially no one blew up the building, they couldn't be charged with blowing up the building. (Why there were no charges for breaking through the precinct wall and stealing loads of C4 is left as an exercise for the viewer.)

Why that's the official story, who knows? Maybe it's a hook for some future political power that wants to keep the Hand's existence under wraps or protect one or more of the Defenders. Maybe it's an excuse forged from pure handwavium. Either way, I really wasn't happy about it.

Galvanik posted:

One of the other fingers mentioned a prophecy that none of them believed in aside from Alexandra. It's possible that the prophecy also caused Stick to go hunting for the Black Skies as well. In Daredevil season 2 it seemed like the Black Sky was supposedly destined to lead the Hand. That's not mentioned in Defenders, and Alexandra certainly doesn't act like she's grooming Elektra for leadership. She seemed to believe the Black Sky was an ultimate weapon that she could control.

In practice, the Black Sky was just an extremely skilled ninja with no idealogical loyalty whatsoever.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 26, 2017

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Danny's rich, they aren't going to throw a rich white dude in prison for suspicion of domestic terrorism (Luke's right, the system's hosed). No excuse for not going after Luke and Jessica for breaking out of a police building or the theft of C4.

Jesus christ why was the C4 so easy to get to. Broom closets are harder to get into, at least the janitor might lock the door.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

JBP posted:

Calling IF and Defenders a dumpster fire is very sensationalist.

Not really. Iron Fist was actively very bad and has a very minor rise in quality near the end (and then having a loving horrible finale that ends with 3 characters who had never met before scheming for next season). Iron Fist's first two episodes and Defenders' first two episodes are really bad pieces of television. Defenders trends through mediocrity and hits low points at several points but never gets to the Netflix high points like JJ S1 or DDS1 do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ufarn posted:

Fraction Hawkeye is another obvious choice, but it'd require an actor who's actually tolerable.

I would love a Fraction Hawkeye series!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Has Matt fraction written for TV? Half the fun of the comics were the visual design; without that, you could end up with something like "sex criminals" (niche) or that completely impenetrable thing he wrote about British time travelers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mike N Eich posted:

Anyway, thank god the Hand is done with.

You think it's over just because three and a half fingers were killed? Cut one off, two rise to take their place!

HAIL HYDRA!

Seriously, Gao and the Japanese dude were in the Bone Cave, the source of all their immortal powers, and SOMEONE dragged Matt to that nunnery.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Not really. Iron Fist was actively very bad and has a very minor rise in quality near the end (and then having a loving horrible finale that ends with 3 characters who had never met before scheming for next season). Iron Fist's first two episodes and Defenders' first two episodes are really bad pieces of television. Defenders trends through mediocrity and hits low points at several points but never gets to the Netflix high points like JJ S1 or DDS1 do.

Hyperbole.

SalTheBard posted:

I would love a Fraction Hawkeye series!

That would be great, him or Moon Knight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Has Matt fraction written for TV? Half the fun of the comics were the visual design; without that, you could end up with something like "sex criminals" (niche) or that completely impenetrable thing he wrote about British time travelers.
It absolutely depends on a good director/showrunner, which is why I'm not too wistful about it; it'd be a big step down without someone actually talented running things (Matthew Vaughn, Coogler, Wright, etc).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I finished Defenders and have no desire to see Iron Fist or Daredevil ever again. I stand by my decision to only watch 2 episodes of Iron Fist. I'll still watch JJ and LC. I'm stoked about Punisher because Jon Bernthal did such a great job on DDS2. But holy gently caress, Defenders was actively difficult to finish watching, it wasn't interesting at all and the Hand poo poo is a snoozefest start to finish. Thank god this was only 8 episodes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Galvanik posted:

I'm guessing that it finally dawned on someone at the top that they really did save the city.

Galvanik posted:

A dude posted:

In practice, the Black Sky was just an extremely skilled ninja with no idealogical loyalty whatsoever.

Way back in DD, the Hand literally worshipped the Black Sky. It's an odd disconnect from that to this.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wamsutta posted:

I finished Defenders and have no desire to see Iron Fist or Daredevil ever again. I stand by my decision to only watch 2 episodes of Iron Fist. I'll still watch JJ and LC. I'm stoked about Punisher because Jon Bernthal did such a great job on DDS2. But holy gently caress, Defenders was actively difficult to finish watching, it wasn't interesting at all and the Hand poo poo is a snoozefest start to finish. Thank god this was only 8 episodes.

I'm looking forward to more Daredevil (if it's coming). Since the Hand is out of magic resurrection juice and can't get more, it's a safe bet that they will at least be out of the picture.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Clearly, the Hand went to such lengths for Elektra because they mistakenly thought that she would come in Handy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
In defenders they actually developed Danny a bit as a character with people calling him out on his bullshit and him actually taking some advice to heart. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing what they do with him in the future. Hopefully he turns into double iron fist ww2 badass we see in the old film but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Marvel needs to give a blank check to whoever did the fight scenes in Daredevil to bring him back and have him do all of their Netflix shows. Seriously some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen and nothing in the Marvel stuff has come close since.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The Defenders was... Ok. Not great, not terrible. It peaked with the episode 3 team fight and the episode 4 Chinese restaurant stuff, where they actually tried to deliver on the "all these characters, together!" premise.

And yes, the Hand were bad villains, made worse by teasing them out over an insufferably long 26 previous episodes. In comics the Hand are like Hydra in that they're generic Evil Organizations that can supply whatever bad guy plot the author needs with a lot of mooks for the heroes to fight. The writers of the show were not able to build something actually compelling on top of that.

Sigourney Weaver was a great get and she did her best to elevate the material, and her clothes were amazing, but boy does she feel wasted in the end. Ultimately this whole Marvel Netflix project has been disappointing recently. It feels like DD and JJ's first seasons were some had more time in production to make them good while the more recent stuff has been rushed through or something. I hope they can make Punisher good for 13 episodes, and Born Again, Heroes for Hire, and Daughters of the Dragon all have potential. But at this rate, I'm probably going to have to stop my dumb completionist streak and watch better TV than this stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like that the different fingers had different goons, and I'd buy that one group of Hand had a different view of Black Sun than another.

Except there was very little done to establish any of that.

I was a little disappointed that they already had an immortal, evil African arms-dealer - but he wasn't the source of the stupid Luke Cage bullet. I'd retroactively accept a plot-magic bullet more if it were actual Hand ninja magic, and it would establish them as more of a threat in Defenders.

E: ...and he was operating out of Harlem, while apparently connected to the Cage villains!

moths fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 26, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I want Turk to get powers. He is too inept to be a primary antagonist, but the shows could use more secondary threats that aren't bent on dominating the city, and his ineptitude is endearing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't know about you, but Run the Jewels in that big fight was the best choice in music.

All I could think about was Ari Shaffir's "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING" shorts, freaking the gently caress out in a fight full of superheroes and evil ninjas

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2017

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't know about you, but Run the Jewels in that big fight was the best choice in music.

All I could think about was Ari Shaffir's "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING" shorts.

That was the best moment in the whole show.

:rock:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

homullus posted:

I want Turk to get powers. He is too inept to be a primary antagonist, but the shows could use more secondary threats that aren't bent on dominating the city, and his ineptitude is endearing.

He was Stiltman in the comics once. It didn't go well for him.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

homullus posted:

Turk isn't inept, he's constantly getting dunked on by people with superpowers.

It's coming across as bullying at this point tbh!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The Defenders was... Ok. Not great, not terrible. It peaked with the episode 3 team fight and the episode 4 Chinese restaurant stuff, where they actually tried to deliver on the "all these characters, together!" premise.

And yes, the Hand were bad villains, made worse by teasing them out over an insufferably long 26 previous episodes. In comics the Hand are like Hydra in that they're generic Evil Organizations that can supply whatever bad guy plot the author needs with a lot of mooks for the heroes to fight. The writers of the show were not able to build something actually compelling on top of that.

Sigourney Weaver was a great get and she did her best to elevate the material, and her clothes were amazing, but boy does she feel wasted in the end. Ultimately this whole Marvel Netflix project has been disappointing recently. It feels like DD and JJ's first seasons were some had more time in production to make them good while the more recent stuff has been rushed through or something. I hope they can make Punisher good for 13 episodes, and Born Again, Heroes for Hire, and Daughters of the Dragon all have potential. But at this rate, I'm probably going to have to stop my dumb completionist streak and watch better TV than this stuff.

I'm in the same boat as well. The last couple of Netflix shows really had a noticeable drop in quality.

I can't really see myself binging through them like I use to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only parts of Netflix Marvel I've actively disliked are Diamondback, Kilgrave, Punisher, and the wasting of Sigourney Weaver. Danny in IF1 was an idiot, but I didn't despise him and in Defenders they ran with it and made him a more interesting character. I really liked the eight episode order of Defenders too, it kept the series from really dragging. The Hand weren't ninja-y enough and were far too generic. I'd really like to see these characters go up against the Maggia; especially Hammerhead or Silvermane's branches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The general theme with these has been a reinforcement of the idea that it takes a great villain to make a great hero and when the shows have it (Kingpin, Killgrave, Cottonmouth) people generally respond well and when they don't (Diamondback, the Hand) they don't.

So I think a lot of it is really that Sigourney Weaver just felt wasted and didn't work. She's great and she did what she could, but the presentation was that she's was this menacing, big evil that would force the Defenders to unite and she ended up being a sick and petty business exec who would sometimes casually threaten that she was scary and then slink away in pain while someone else fought. It didn't work. Especially when lead up had people speculating crazy stuff like her playing Mephisto. I won't lie that I had really lofty hopes for her going in and the reality of Alexandra just never lived up to any of it.

There are other problems, all of which have been voiced and most of which reflect problems from the individual series. But in the end a good villain would have probably pulled it together and Alexandra was a flop and Elektra took the main role too late in the season to really make it work.

But I still mostly enjoyed it and don't think it was a "dumpster fire" or anything quite that dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"The Hand will murder our supporting casts!" turned out to be the most hollow threat, especially after they forgot to put Matt's priest into police custody and he was just fine.