Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

evobatman posted:

Nah, it's a Marantz PMD201 that got sent to me by mistake when I bought a couple of stereo recorders on ebay. It's a 2-head mono recorder, and it's defective. I did own a Sony TC-D5M earlier, which is the non-XLR version of what you're thinking of. It's in my post history in this thread. It needed servicing, so I sold it.

I had the 3-head stereo version of that Marantz deck, the PMD-430, a while back. I'd say it's pretty close with the TC-D5M. The Marantzes tend to go for considerably less money these days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BattleHork posted:

I had the 3-head stereo version of that Marantz deck, the PMD-430, a while back. I'd say it's pretty close with the TC-D5M. The Marantzes tend to go for considerably less money these days too.

Yeah, the Sonys are going for crazy prices. There is even a European market version of the Marantz with a different name that's exactly the same but less known, and goes for even cheaper.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Todays thrifting netted me a Tandberg TR220 for $15. It's pretty with all lights working and all knobs feeling good, but it gives no sound out, so it has to be sold on to someone who wants to repair it. The great cosmetic condition means it should be an easy sell.

And finally, I've been wanting Bowers & Wilkins speakers forever, but they never show up for good prices at the right time. Today I got a pair of DM560 for $5! The cases are beat to hell, they'll need new grill fabric and new terminals, but they sound incredibly good! (stolen pic)

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I would fix that Tandberg if I got it for $15. drat.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've bought and flipped a bunch of Tandbergs, and none of them have been keepers so far. I feel better about just selling them to people who actually care about them and want to fix them up. It's incredibly nice to look at, but 14 watts per channel doesn't do much for me.

Now those B&Ws on the other hand, they give me tingles in the right places! They are great allrounders, with just a bit of British warmth in the sound. It makes me wonder what more modern speakers from them sound like.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to get my finances in order and decided to start cutting some gear loose.

Problem is my poo poo is buried as I posted about before...

So i did some spelunking

Dusted off this The Fisher 400 CX tube preamp.

Also found the optional wired remote.

And this goofy manual

For this kind of rare accessory

The only bad part is the remote control knob for the space expander is missing the cord that connected it is there but it either was cut or broke off. It wasn't there when I got it. I'm betting a new knob pot in a project box could be spliced on to fix it.

Of course it's all tube and hasn't been used since I got it 15 years ago so I'll probably just take it in to a hifi repair place and have them power it up and inspect it rather than turn it on myself.

Edit: looked at ebay and it appears I'm missing the reberb spring assembly for the space expander as well. :(

Edit 2: I also found a Marantz 1150D that I have no recollection of owning.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 27, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A boxed nakamichi cassette deck 2 is worth $50 local pickup yeah? Didn't get chance to give it a look as I was running late. Most price checks I see are from about 5 years ago saying 50-100 and I know things tend to have increased in value since.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
New in box? Hell yeah it is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure if new, just boxed. (Although box was in decent condition). I'll give it a proper lookover tomorrow. Can't see it being gone as was just in a back room with some less interesting pieces.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So don't think it's brand brand new, but definitely well looked after. Shame I can't test it out as I've no amp or speakers (or cassettes even) here, but it powers on and the mechanism kicks in when I press play etc. Definitely happy with that, as everything I see on Craigslist etc here is always more than I can afford.

E: ah pics a bit blurry and crappy, sorry!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 2, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

So don't think it's brand brand new, but definitely well looked after. Shame I can't test it out as I've no amp or speakers (or cassettes even) here, but it powers on and the mechanism kicks in when I press play etc. Definitely happy with that, as everything I see on Craigslist etc here is always more than I can afford.

E: ah pics a bit blurry and crappy, sorry!

That is a drat good find! If I had come across anything like that here it would be gone by the time I had checked with the thread if it was worth getting.

I picked up a very special guest today:

Unfortunately the laser is dead, so I've put it up on eBay for parts.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Speaking of setups, my setup reached a new peak this weekend:

Well, it didn't take long to beat that:

Up top I've built an unholy abomination that can record to both cassette tape and minidisc at the same time, or even back and forth between them.

Because really, why would you not want to record your cassettes to minidisc?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh god this thread is getting too real.
I'm almost scared to stack all my poo poo in the same place.

I have to keep it all separated and hidden for fear the wife will realize just how much there is.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone in the Boston area have a very high-end cassette deck I could borrow for a few days? I need to capture a few rare cassettes I've had fall into my lap over the past few months.

Nakamichi Dragon highly preferred... mmm Dragon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey all, I'm giving serious consideration to switching my home theater system to two channel for simplicity's sake and so I can get better speakers. I'm curious what experiences people have doing this, I've been on 3.1 for 8 years now so I'm pretty used to it. I'll be keeping the subwoofer. I guess my main concern is smaller "sweet spot" for movies/TV, I have people over for movies occasionally.

Looking at this receiver [or its Integra equivalent if I can get a deal].

e: As far as speakers go I've always had a soft spot for the KEF LS50 and I'm going to demo some Dynaudios. Plus I've always been curious about Ascend Sierras.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

qirex posted:

Hey all, I'm giving serious consideration to switching my home theater system to two channel for simplicity's sake and so I can get better speakers. I'm curious what experiences people have doing this, I've been on 3.1 for 8 years now so I'm pretty used to it. I'll be keeping the subwoofer. I guess my main concern is smaller "sweet spot" for movies/TV, I have people over for movies occasionally.

Looking at this receiver [or its Integra equivalent if I can get a deal].

e: As far as speakers go I've always had a soft spot for the KEF LS50 and I'm going to demo some Dynaudios. Plus I've always been curious about Ascend Sierras.

What receiver do you currently have? Most modern home theatre receivers will do just fine with delivering plenty of power in stereo. You might just want to change out your speakers and set up your current receiver for stereo.

On the other hand, that Onkyo does look pretty sweet, so if your current receiver is old and stereo is what you want, I say go for it!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The origin of this is that I need a new receiver for 4k, so rather than spend $1000+ for a surround receiver actually capable of driving 4 ohm speakers spending half that much seems like an appealing option for a couple years. I'm probably never going to put rears up in my current apartment so what's the point? I have a receiver with decent amps but it's old. If there was such a thing as a cheap surround preamp or even a HDCP 2.2 switch that wasn't garbage and had audio out this would be moot but alas the "bargain" model Emotiva is $600 and looks like blue LEDs were on super closeout then they designed it. I've also looked at powered systems like the LS50 wireless or Dynaudio Xeo if I could just get all that HDMI routing taken care of.

On the other hand maybe part of me almost wants to become one of those AVS weirdos who flips sets of increasingly esoteric speakers every couple months until they go full grognard and end up with $5k, 200 pound monster towers.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I never knew they made nice modern 2.1 AV receivers. That Onkyo looks nice. I have a 2.0 set up in the living room myself, but I am using an older surround receiver obviously. It at least detects what terminals have speakers wired up and defaults to stereo mode.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
$10 at a carboot sale!

Will have to open it to do a quick cleaning and lube job, but it works!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's really cool, but what will you do with it?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Same thing I do with everything else in my stack of dead formats: Fix it up, hook it up, play around with recording on it and see what kind of sound quality I can get, and eventually sell it on to finance whatever piece of equipment I want next. For now I'm just recording silence onto the one reel I have, in preparation of recording my usual test CD onto it.

Edit: And I'll have to try and find a couple of empty metal reels to put on it, so that it will look awesome. It's in perfect cosmetic condition, so I can't keep those ugly dirty reels on it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Welp, Accessories4less had the Integra DTM-7 refurb and Canton Chrono 502 speakers like 60% off so I decided I was tired of whinging about it and bought them both. I haven't even heard the speakers but I heard some similar Cantons a couple years ago and really liked them, they had a good balance between "detailed" and bright.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 13, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

evobatman posted:

Same thing I do with everything else in my stack of dead formats: Fix it up, hook it up, play around with recording on it and see what kind of sound quality I can get, and eventually sell it on to finance whatever piece of equipment I want next. For now I'm just recording silence onto the one reel I have, in preparation of recording my usual test CD onto it.

Edit: And I'll have to try and find a couple of empty metal reels to put on it, so that it will look awesome. It's in perfect cosmetic condition, so I can't keep those ugly dirty reels on it.

I think reel to reel tape players are really cool and I want one because of how cool they are. But then I realize that I would have no tapes to play on it, and there's no point in recording tapes to listen to.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

please refrain from posting thoughts of logic and reason in regards to gear acquisition in the vintage thread, tia

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have been downsizing and getting all my audio/videogame/collectable poo poo ready to sell.

Finally got to a point I could try out my Marantz stack. It hasn't been powered on for 15 years so I was nervous it might not work.

Plugged it in and was pretty happy.

3200 preamp
150 tuner
510m power amp

Here is a video of the tuner with the scope set to audio visualization.

https://youtu.be/PdaNCKh5dsc

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

To meet the expectations of the thread I decided to test out the phono input. Plugged in a realistic lab55 turntable that I got at a garage sale based on the $2 price tag on it. Currently listening to men at work - overkill off the cargo album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Overkill is a good tune.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have been downsizing and getting all my audio/videogame/collectable poo poo ready to sell.

Finally got to a point I could try out my Marantz stack. It hasn't been powered on for 15 years so I was nervous it might not work.

Plugged it in and was pretty happy.

3200 preamp
150 tuner
510m power amp

Here is a video of the tuner with the scope set to audio visualization.

https://youtu.be/PdaNCKh5dsc

I got to this post and said, "oh drat" out loud. :discourse:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found a couple 8 tracks and figured I'd try out one of the 8 track players I have.

Works great.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just got back to a closet with more gear, found the soundcraftsman eq, jvc rtr, and a dynaco 400 power amp I have no recollection of buying.

Also hundreds of RTR tapes from the 90s.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Some day I may build a network media player that has reels on it that spin just for looks. I don't want to ruin a real reel to reel though and I'd have to find some real nice and bit VU meters.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TomR posted:

Some day I may build a network media player that has reels on it that spin just for looks. I don't want to ruin a real reel to reel though and I'd have to find some real nice and bit VU meters.

You could always just hook up a ras-pi to a tape drive.

...or apparently, this.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 14, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

my turn in the barrel posted:

Just got back to a closet with more gear, found the soundcraftsman eq, jvc rtr, and a dynaco 400 power amp I have no recollection of buying.

Also hundreds of RTR tapes from the 90s.

Pics or GTFO

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

First a stack of ced movies on top of rtr tapes

A box of 60s consumer tapes from a garage sale. Some of these are new, some are labeled with band names like The Doors so I need to see what is actually on them.

Here is looking into the closet of poo poo. I still need to keep cleaning so I can get them but you can see the dynaco amp, rtr and eq at the bottom.

Here is a few stacks of tapes, there are a few more stacks and a few boxes of them as well.

Each tape was from syndicated music radio programs in the 90s. There is adult contemporary mixes, country and classic rock. The radio station was supposed to toss them after but the guy I got them from saved them.

Here is an example setlist, the classic rock ones are actually decent but the others are not great unless you are having a 90s party.

But the tape itself is high quality and new enough that it would be decent to record over so Im assuming I can sell them off.

The cleaning is slow going because I saved all kinds of weird poo poo and some of it is worth quite a bit so I'm checking ebay for everything. Here was a nice surprise, an apple think different poster set in the original box with the posters still sealed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have an insane desire to vacuum now.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

BigFactory posted:

I have an insane desire to vacuum now.

Seems sane to me.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Last week was a good week

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that the strobe for setting the speed?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the strobe for setting the speed?

Probably just a light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
yeah just a torch shining through because it looks pretty