Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah they took most of the animeish poo poo out of it then go whole hog into child detectives trained alone from birth.

I liked how Lakeith Stanfield played L mostly by the book but with just a little bit more desperation. I thought that worked well.

The funniest part of it is that L is kind of a lovely detective in the film.

He gets a good start with the police database stuff, and somehow connects the FBI deaths to Light well enough that he puts light's father out there as a target to prove his theory. The issue is that his test is wrong. Light didn't kill the FBI agents, and he would never have killed a cop for publicly insulting him, regardless of whether that cop was his father or not.

L pretty much had an enormous blindspot when it came to Mia, which is interesting. He doesn't make the connection to Light and Mia becoming a couple right as the Death Note murders start, and he doesn't treat her like a person of interest when he barges into the house, which is the only reason they don't catch Light on the spot.

His big failure is that he assumes the Kira he is chasing is the sociopath from the japanese version, rather than the troubled kids from the american one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there anywhere that streams The Three Stooges?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Narcos season 3...didn't see that coming.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Narcos season 3...didn't see that coming.

I think it's gonna be about a different cartel right? Plenty of narcos to focus on aside from Escobar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Should be good. I just figured it was over after Escobar.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Doesn't the season 2 finale pretty much tell you what S3 is going to be about?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Rounders is always overlooked and is packed full of character actors alongside Damon. It's on either Prime or Hulu, I forget which.

Netflix, I just rewatched it last week and it's still fantastic. Fuckin' Malkovich in that, so good.

Enos Cabell posted:

Talented Mr. Ripley was good, not sure if it's streaming anywhere though.

It was on Netflix not long ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

New Tick episodes up on Amazon!

I've been enjoying it a lot so far. It's fun and goofy.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Watch Stuck on you. It's an absolutely absurd premise that works almost entirely on the charisma and chemistry of Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

knows a black guy posted:

I enjoyed Death Note. I'm no fan of anime though, so I went in with no prior knowledge or expectations.

Same. Dafoe as Trickster God Green Goblin was a masterstroke and Lakeith Stanfield does a great job with what could've easily been a ridiculous (in a bad way) character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
All the 80s songs in Death Note was weird.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm mildly amped for Death Note, but I peeped The Devil's Candy and it's a much nicer stab at 'heavy metal horror' than Deathgasm from the same year.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Same. Dafoe as Trickster God Green Goblin was a masterstroke and Lakeith Stanfield does a great job with what could've easily been a ridiculous (in a bad way) character.

I think L feels a little out of place in the film, since the characters introduced beforehand are all pretty straightlaced: Light's a troubled teen with a tragic backstory, Mia's the "bad girl" who smokes and isn't afraid to stand up to schoolyard bullies, etc. In the manga, Light is already an ubermensch of sorts even before he gets the Death Note, so his antagonist coming from the Baby Genius mansion and being eccentric isn't as unusual. Still, I agree that Stanfield does a good job with the character: you really feel like all the strange mannerisms and gestures are just tics he uses to cover up his constant anxiety and the pressure L feels to perform.

Lycus posted:

All the 80s songs in Death Note was weird.

"Troubled teen finds demon's book that he can use to take gory revenge" wouldn't be out of place on the sleeve of an 80s horror VHS, honestly.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Death Note was good but then again I'm not a huge dweeb who's obsessed with manga so I was able to enjoy a fun movie for what it was.

Also The Good Shepard is a really great forgotten Matt Damon film, available on Starz if you have it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The cartoon was tv 14, is the live action made for kids too?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A MIRACLE posted:

The cartoon was tv 14, is the live action made for kids too?

Death Note? It's got exploding brains that fall just shy of Scanners-level gore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Death Note is, like, "John Carpenter in his prime"-level of gory special effects. It's definitely not for kids.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah, Death Note hit that goofy horror movie itch that I haven't had scratched since they stopped making Final Destination movies. I think the biggest shame is they didn't really expand on the concept until the very end of the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I really appreciate that this version of Death Note is willing to not only acknowledge that Light's a monster, but that he's an idiot. The ferris wheel scene goes from a brilliant battle of wits to a last-ditch effort to cover his rear end that doesn't even work. He's a spoiled middle-class white kid who thinks he can solve all the problems in the world by punching down, and not only does his elaborate plan fail to get L off his back, it even gives his dad time to figure it all out.

Naturally I'm already seeing reviews like this one complaining that it glorifies Light's actions and makes him a hero rather than an antihero and I'm like, gently caress man that's not just a misreading of this film, it's a stretch even to call Light an "antihero" in the anime -- there he's just a far more romantic and competent kind of evil.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 26, 2017

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Death note was pretty decent, but it was spot on when it came to casting.

Particularly with that sort of story, it reallllly could have used more time-- developing pretty much any of the characters-- As the story does!

Some of the edits were cute, a few other's had me scratching my head and really wishing for the orignal story. I even think the original story gets a bit bogged down in it's own 'upperhand' by the end of it, but not even regarding those conflicts at all seemed like a disservice.

Overall, neat effort, but it can't help but stand in shame to what could have been with a 10 episode order.

Pretty delighted it came out as well as it did!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Friends of mine recommended the anime a while back, but I never really did care for it.

Now that I watched the Death Note movie, I actually really enjoyed it, and it makes me want to see if the anime is good. I think the casting was great, and I was already frustrated that earlier trailers were downvoted all to hell just because anime fans were threatened by "my god, other entertainment forms have the balls to live action my ANIME?!"

I mean poo poo dude, it's not fuckin' Dragonball the movie.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I enjoyed Death Note, little miffed at the ending

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The Death Note movie looked like poo poo, the ending was clearly written so it looked like Kira was going to die, L knew who he was, ends on a cliffhanger/ambiguous ending like they think they'll make a SEQUEL out of this trash.

Also as someone who's never read or seen the Death Note manga/anime and not watched both Japanese films, I just get the impression that Kira is a dickhead.

This film isn't going to get a sequel, let alone go anywhere, because Netflix can take way more risks than Fox, WB, Universal, Sony, Disney, and STILL get their money back from everyone's subscriptions to the service. The big hitters are still Stranger Things, House of Cards, OITNB, etc. so it makes more sense to renew and put more budget and production towards those shows.

So yeah that film won't be missed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The most distracting thing about Death Note was knowing that I'd seen the female lead (Margaret Qualley) in something before, and when I remembered where that had been I couldn't think of anything else while watching the movie: https://vimeo.com/180668935

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As far as a sequel to Weapon of Choice goes, that's not too bad.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Friends of mine recommended the anime a while back, but I never really did care for it.

Now that I watched the Death Note movie, I actually really enjoyed it, and it makes me want to see if the anime is good. I think the casting was great, and I was already frustrated that earlier trailers were downvoted all to hell just because anime fans were threatened by "my god, other entertainment forms have the balls to live action my ANIME?!"

Nearly every criticism Death Note I've seen has been "well in the manga..." or "Ryuk should have been..." or "they changed X to Y and it makes noooooo thematic sense with the original..." and not about what's actually in the film. IMO Hollywood is suffering from a lack of pretty-solid-but-not-mind-blowing movies and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

First half of Death Note anime is fine, second half drags on a million years and is so much worse is the general opinion

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Human Tornada posted:

Nearly every criticism Death Note I've seen has been "well in the manga..." or "Ryuk should have been..." or "they changed X to Y and it makes noooooo thematic sense with the original..." and not about what's actually in the film. IMO Hollywood is suffering from a lack of pretty-solid-but-not-mind-blowing movies and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Absolutely, definitely I'm sick of the "If it isn't a masterpiece than it is garbage that shouldn't have been made and it's killing the industry and also Chinese people are stupid for watching it probably" sentiment in 90% of comments about any movie ever

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Human Tornada posted:

IMO Hollywood is suffering from a lack of pretty-solid-but-not-mind-blowing movies and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I too wish there was more mediocre movies out.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I really enjoyed Death Note. I remember watching the anime years back and eventually watching the live action movies from Japan. So when I heard that Netflix was going to have their hand in it I hyped myself up for it. Was not disappointed in the film. I also knew that they had to change the story a bit to not exactly be similar to the anime and manga. But I do have some minor complaints.

The connections L made to catch Light was honestly super quick. I know in the anime L directly pinpointed to light but a relationship cat and mouse game was being developed in the anime. The movie had no relations. It was an immediate "Gotcha" from the getgo which soon developed into basically a chase scene for L to catch Light and his father to secure him safely.

How was light able to control Watari? I thought that was his alias much like 'L' I don't think Light knew of his last name and instead just mentioned his first name.

Light screaming when he first meets Ryuk was...some very bad acting. Haha.

It's not the best movie I have ever seen. But it was still a fun ride to watch. Watched it with my family as I visited them earlier today and we all enjoyed it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was very Adam Wingaard, which I like. If you haven't already watched The Guest and You're Next, check them out to give Death Note a frame of reference. Tons of style. He loves 80s motifs & soundtracks.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm a huge Wingard fanboy but I'd also heard mixed reviews about Death Note. So, I went in with trepidation and...

I liked it A LOT.

I appreciate both that it didn't take itself too seriously and also that it went places I always want "normie gets cosmic powers" to go that they never do. I liked Wingard's American spin on the tale (never seen/read the Japanese version) and it was just a hilariously fun time. It reminded me of the first Final Destination or even a Cabin Fever type of "goofy horror" film.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

The Death Note movie looked like poo poo, the ending was clearly written so it looked like Kira was going to die, L knew who he was, ends on a cliffhanger/ambiguous ending like they think they'll make a SEQUEL out of this trash.

Also as someone who's never read or seen the Death Note manga/anime and not watched both Japanese films, I just get the impression that Kira is a dickhead.

This film isn't going to get a sequel, let alone go anywhere, because Netflix can take way more risks than Fox, WB, Universal, Sony, Disney, and STILL get their money back from everyone's subscriptions to the service. The big hitters are still Stranger Things, House of Cards, OITNB, etc. so it makes more sense to renew and put more budget and production towards those shows.

So yeah that film won't be missed.

Regarding the ending One theory I'm a pretty big proponent of is that L isn't necessarily thinking of killing Light, but instead killing his father. A sort of eye for an eye backstabbing for going after Watari. If they get a chance for a sequel, this could actually lead to a fun cat and mouse situation with Light trying to kill a deranged L, though it'd be difficult to deal with the fact that L knows light's name and has a death note handy.

Some other minor fun facts. The Death Note still doesn't appear to work on Ryuk, despite his threat to Light when the latter threatens to write Ryuk's name in it. We know this because Light learns his name from reading it off the pages of the Death Note. Another fun one is that the early pages with scrawled names use names that were popular in the 1950's or earlier. This suggests that someone came into the possession of the death note, but refused to use it, which is sort of a nifty angle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That theory is completely bizarre and ignores everything about L's character, though. Just killing Light would be a huge departure from his moral code, let alone killing an innocent man who earnestly wanted Light captured and brought to justice.

Also just because Ryuk's name is in the book doesn't mean it was written to kill -- you have to be thinking of their face. This would admittedly be difficult not to do in Ryuk's case, but not impossible. This also strengthens the idea that the book was in the possession of someone who refused to kill, but still wanted a permanent warning for future owners.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 27, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I figured I would crosspost my impressions of the film

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyways, I just finished watching Death Note and I loved it. I recently binged through the entire manga and the japanese films and I really appreciate that Wingard and his team essentially made an Elseworld story, thus bringing something new to the table.

The film does wonders to humanize both Light and L, making more relatable than their original counterparts while the twist with both Ryuk and Mia is an interesting one and serves to give them more of an actual role on the story The plot is a bit rushed but that is to be expected given the time constraints and thankfully, it manages to be consistent and remain focused on the main plot.

I couldn't help myself and went looking for some impressions about the film and unsurprisingly, most of the criticism can be boiled down to "Not my Death Note". The bits that I found the most interesting of the adaptation (the changes to the plot and characterization) are precisely the ones more criticized with some even going so far to literally say "It was a good movie but not a good Death Note movie."

I mean, I should've seen it coming but still.

Now about the whole thing with L at the end, I think there's three possible interpretations: Light hosed up out of fear, he did intentionally to incriminate Mia, he decided to put his fate on L's hands as an apology for Watari. The first one is the most likely of course, the second hinges on Light believing that L doesn't kill and the third might be just wishful thinking from my side.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watched the pilot for the new The Tick and it was really bad. Peter Serafinowicz does a great Adam West impression, as you might expect, but it's offputtingly grim and looks ugly as sin. Wally Pfister directed it so I was expecting something competent but nearly every shot is flat and cheap. I never saw Transcendence but that dude should have never hopped off the Nolan gravy train

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
As someone who watched Death Note back then, read the whole manga (I know :negative:) and has watched nearly all adaptations (including the Japanese TV Drama and the Musical, yes there really are Japanese and Korean musicals of Death Note), I thought the movie was okay. I didn't mind the changes, but I felt that maybe it could have worked better as a miniseries even if the cat and mouse chase was not much of a thing in this version.

The only thing I felt kinda "out of place" was L's past. It's clearly almost identical to the original, but I don't think it gelled that well here. It almost felt like the subplot of a series or an awkward nod to the source material.

Though, for real, people complaining about changes forget the existence of the L live-action movie (it was bad). Heck, the TV Drama had Light as an average student with dead mom and daddy issues, and Near not only often interacts with L, but also has a split personality represented with a puppet version of Mello, and I did not made up any of that. Changes ain't a new thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Watched Death Note tonight and, eh, it was alright. It gets points for knowing what to cut out although that does leave some discord. Not that this had to follow the anime but the pruning left a few odd branches. L doesn't serve much of a purpose here. Like in the anime it makes sense to pit some kind of super genius against Light, but the Light in this is just some dweeb you'd want to shove in a locker, not some brilliant strategist. There isn't enough time to develop L, so his quirks just feel jarring and gimmicky. Mia was Light's real antagonist here. Really liked the effects for Ryuk and the shift in personality from an interested watcher to something more malevolent. Dafoe was a perfect choice to voice him.

Did I miss something or how did L figure out that writing Light's name on some random page he found in a calculus book would kill him? I'm assuming he was thinking of taking revenge for Watari in that scene but other than a lazy "oh, he's a super genius so of course he knows by now" sort of a thing I don't get how he would know to do that.

Siselmo posted:

The only thing I felt kinda "out of place" was L's past. It's clearly almost identical to the original, but I don't think it gelled that well here. It almost felt like the subplot of a series or an awkward nod to the source material.

I wish they would have been a little more vague about it. Something more like "Oh, they were trying to stimulate mental development" without the express purpose of making a cadre of superdetectives.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 27, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Quiet Feet posted:

Did I miss something or how did L figure out that writing Light's name on some random page he found in a calculus book would kill him? I'm assuming he was thinking of taking revenge for Watari in that scene but other than a lazy "oh, he's a super genius so of course he knows by now" sort of a thing I don't get how he would know to do that.

Well, the page does have the exact description of the way the 12 FBI agents plus their names and Light did say that death could be hidden on a calculus book, add their earlier conversation where Light said the power could be passed over and it seems reasonable to assume L has a good idea of what the page means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There should probably be a thread for Death Note given the past two pages being full of spoiler text

e: I don't mean that in a complainy way