Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Have any of those spoons given you lead poisoning / heavy metal poisoning yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need to find those magblocks on ali. Real ones are waaaay too expensive.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Squish posted:

Desktop drum kit Which turned out to be significantly larger in real life than I expected, even despite looking at the measurements.

Now, be honest, how much of this purchase was motivated by the desire to practice percussion in your downtime and how much by the thought of being able to play a rimshot the next time Carl from purchasing trips on the plant in the hallway that's been there six years now so why the hell hasn't that idiot learned to avoid it?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Actually I dropshipped it to a friend that lives interstate cause he's the mad drummer. But drat now you mention its secondary purpose as an IRL rimshot generator, :drat: I need one.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Have any of those spoons given you lead poisoning / heavy metal poisoning yet?

I only just ordered them - so I'll have to wait and see.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Luggage tags, about $.70 apiece. Good for distinguishing your luggage.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Pick posted:

Luggage tags, about $.70 apiece. Good for distinguishing your luggage.

Better to just buy really ugly luggage. gently caress being one of those schlubs looking for one of 300 identical black Samsonite bags. My poo poo's in the only teal and mauve flower print suitcase on the track.

Edit for content: Something like this might be OK too. But luggage really should be grotesque on it's own merits.

Duh Ugh fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 25, 2017

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I just get a stencil and spray paint my name on the side in day glow orange

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
loving amateurs. Nobody else ever has authentic Boy George luggage.

I tried to add a picture, but it turns out that I can't find a picture of my authentic Boy George luggage anywhere on the Internet. Which is too bad, because it's way cool.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Remulak posted:

.. authentic Boy George luggage.
We talking like '80s Boy George, or current era Boy George? This may affect how jealous I am of your hypothetical grotesque luggage. 'Cause current era is way more grotesque.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Y'all should do your best to convert to the carry on only lifestyle, it's better in every way.

Boy George luggage gets a pass though take a picture of that poo poo

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
But some (most) of my artisanal sex toys won't make it past security in a carry-on. How will I live without them?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

Y'all should do your best to convert to the carry on only lifestyle, it's better in every way.

Boy George luggage gets a pass though take a picture of that poo poo

The problem with embracing carry on only is that eventually you will travel with someone who insists on checking something, and the only thing more frustrating and boring than waiting for your own luggage is waiting for someone else's luggage.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

HazCat posted:

The problem with embracing carry on only is that eventually you will travel with someone who insists on checking something, and the only thing more frustrating and boring than waiting for your own luggage is waiting for someone else's luggage.

No loving joke I ordered my boyfriend a duffle bag off of ali loving express to prevent this issue because you are absolutely correct

It's pretty nice canvas construction

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Duh Ugh posted:

But some (most) of my artisanal sex toys won't make it past security in a carry-on. How will I live without them?

It's artis-anal thank you very much. And you've seen that thing where people wear all their clothes to avoid carrying luggage? It's like that, but more cavity-focused.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If anybody needs a fishing lure that looks like a dick and balls with multiple sizes and weights to choose from, I got you covered. (mildly :nws:)

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
While I really dig that lure, it's probably chock full of lead, and therefore illegal to fish with here. Guess I'll just have to settle for putting it on my :nws: fishing hat.

Fake Edit: "Penis Hat" is a surprisingly un-surprising search term.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Guy Mann posted:

So I ordered this LCD paperless memo pad as a gift because Techmoan's video on it made it look neat but I'd rather pay $15 for a white label product instead of a $50 name-brand Boogie Board and apparently they have a shipping center in the US or something because the free shipping was with UPS Express Saver and I got it in four days. If AliExpress keeps growing in popularity I hope more companies follow their lead because man that was a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=few9P5ojV60

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If anybody needs a fishing lure that looks like a dick and balls with multiple sizes and weights to choose from, I got you covered. (mildly :nws:)

100% buying that for my dad, thank you

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

luncheon meat posted:

:tipshat:

I want to again emphasize how great AliExpress is for fishing tackle. I've been really impressed by the quality, too. I've bought everything from rods and reels to hooks and lines; they've all been worth well more than I paid and nothing has failed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

luncheon meat posted:

Reviews are hilarious

"I think pike will be happy))))))"

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

I want to again emphasize how great AliExpress is for fishing tackle. I've been really impressed by the quality, too. I've bought everything from rods and reels to hooks and lines; they've all been worth well more than I paid and nothing has failed.

It is pretty great especially when you look at prices in stores. $90 for some braid? Nah I'm good I'll spend $15 (though research is wise there). So many lures that go for $20 in our stores for ~$2-5 on ali.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been looking for some cheap fly fishing gear, any recs?

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Just in time for the weekend, my DIY component tester came in. I'd link to it, but banggood is down for me, so bleh. I'll post a report once I've built it.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Any particular recommendations for a starter rod and reel for my nephew?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

luncheon meat posted:

It is pretty great especially when you look at prices in stores. $90 for some braid? Nah I'm good I'll spend $15 (though research is wise there). So many lures that go for $20 in our stores for ~$2-5 on ali.

Exactly. Fortunately most of the better shops have been around for a while, so filtering your searches by number of orders is a good way to start. Once you have some brands that you trust it's really easy to reorder. I use Jackfish fluorocarbon (it's coated, not 100% fluorocarbon, if that matters to you. It is still very thin and strong) line and SeaKnight braid. KastKing reels have been stellar performers and are usually 1/2 - 2/3 the price they are on Amazon.

PokeJoe posted:

I don't fly fish much, but just searching for "fishing flies" produced some good sample results. Barbless fly hooks and tying material galore if you tie your own, and super cheap flies if you don't. Fortunately everything with fly fishing is super lightweight and/or small, so exactly what AliExpress does well. If you're looking for rods and reels, SeaKnight and KastKing have good reputations. And of course all of the little accouterments like little fly storage boxes, folding scissors, penis-shaped fishing hats, etc.

Koryk posted:

Any particular recommendations for a starter rod and reel for my nephew?

How old and tall is he, what are you fishing for, and do you think that he will fish often?

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i've been playing the silly bubble pop games to win coins to trade for $2 off coupons because it looks like you can stack the coupons once the sale starts but i'm not actually sure if that's possible. anyone know?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't fly fish much, but just searching for "fishing flies" produced some good sample results. Barbless fly hooks and tying material galore if you tie your own, and super cheap flies if you don't. Fortunately everything with fly fishing is super lightweight and/or small, so exactly what AliExpress does well. If you're looking for rods and reels, SeaKnight and KastKing have good reputations. And of course all of the little accouterments like little fly storage boxes, folding scissors, penis-shaped fishing hats, etc.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl and report if the stuff is any good.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Bought this $257 programmer from Aliexpress because I need to program some 64M-bit flash proms and none of the sub-$100 programmers can do them.

I expected a bootleg but so far it seems to work just fine in Xeltek's progamming software. I'm glad I'm only out $257 instead of $500+ for my dumb gay arcade hobby. Also It was shipped DHL and only took 4 days to get here!!!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl and report if the stuff is any good.

Cool, please do. Are you getting a couple of flies or a whole rod & reel setup? If you're planning on spending more than a couple of dollars you might want to wait for the sale that's about to start. Pick is right; a lot of prices are artificially inflated right now to make upcoming sale prices seem better.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

PokeJoe posted:

Came here to ask this.

Assume I have 0 fly fishing gear, so everything from poles on up. I also don't know much about the sport, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for in quality gear.

Edit: Why is fishing gear so expensive? Is it because they know weird old dads will pay anything for their old dad hobby?

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 25, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Why is fishing gear so expensive? Is it because they know weird old dads will pay anything for their old dad hobby?

Basically, yeah. There's entry level gear and pro gear, but there is definitely a point of diminishing return. I don't know how a $200 rod catches fish better than a $60 one. There's also the old saying about tackle that some of it is meant to catch fish and most of it is meant to catch fishermen. You can go nuts with gadgets and poo poo but you don't need to.

quote:

Assume I have 0 fly fishing gear, so everything from poles on up. I also don't know much about the sport, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for in quality gear.

Technically you don't need anything more than a rod, reel, line, flies, and probably a landing net. I don't know enough about it to advise you, but there has been so much written about fly fishing that I don't think that you will have any issues finding starter guides. You'll definitely want an empty field to practice your casting, cover/dull your hooks until your line goes where you want it to go, and know how to remove a fish hook from your flesh before you need to do it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

These rods are crap, I waved one around for over an hour, not one single fly.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've done a little fly fishing w a friends gear and I wanna dip into it without going full on fish dad immediatly. Some cheap chinese poo poo seems like a good place to start. When does this sale start anyway?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I think that this $80 2.1m fly rod starter kit is what I'd go with. It's a good river size and seems like it has everything you need to get started. I'd probably order some additional cheap flies for variety's sake, but you should research which flies work best in the area you're going to fish before you order.

Also, and this goes for all fishing rods: never, ever buy a telescopic collapsible fishing rod. They will gently caress you over when you need them most, regardless of where it was made.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Duh Ugh posted:

Better to just buy really ugly luggage. gently caress being one of those schlubs looking for one of 300 identical black Samsonite bags. My poo poo's in the only teal and mauve flower print suitcase on the track.

Edit for content: Something like this might be OK too. But luggage really should be grotesque on it's own merits.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fas...2273647659.html

these are just covers for your bags but still hideous

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

Bought this $257 programmer from Aliexpress because I need to program some 64M-bit flash proms and none of the sub-$100 programmers can do them.

I expected a bootleg but so far it seems to work just fine in Xeltek's progamming software. I'm glad I'm only out $257 instead of $500+ for my dumb gay arcade hobby. Also It was shipped DHL and only took 4 days to get here!!!

lol that thing has to be fake as hell, guess they were able to clone the hardware perfectly enough that the software can't tell the difference

although https://www.xeltek.com.cn appears to be a real working page so who knows

I'm still waiting for a cheap TL866CS from ebay for all my ancient eprom needs

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I regret spending $20 on three lures today.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You paid $1 for the lures and $19 for 0-day shipping

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data posted:

You paid $1 for the lures and $19 for 0-day shipping

yeah, but I regularly receive Aliexpress packages in like a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Anyone found any decent cheap microphones?