Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh yeah 100%

its amazing how far we've come. hopefully soon everyone won't even bat an eye at non-heterosexuality

i thought we were on that page

but i'm frequently off the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i reinstalled windows and forgot which keep rear end is the legit one aaaaaaaAAAA

which keep rear end should i use for win10?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is it this one? http://keepass.info/

domain name is fishy AF and its plain http

e: https://keepass.info has an invalid cert :tinfoil:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is it this one? http://keepass.info/

domain name is fishy AF and its plain http

e: https://keepass.info has an invalid cert :tinfoil:
it's been a self-signed cert for the domain webserver.ispgateway.de for ages. here is a sourceforge post about it from the beginning of 2009

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i reinstalled windows and forgot which keep rear end is the legit one aaaaaaaAAAA

which keep rear end should i use for win10?

Whichever one comes from ninite.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

why am i suddenly being prompted to install a MSE update signed with a certificate that expired six years ago. is this legit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

A 1 year validity term? That is weird as hell for a MS cert. Is it using a 1024-bit RSA key? There were some attacks impersonating the windows update channel spoofing a weak MS cert in the past.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meat Beat Agent posted:

why am i suddenly being prompted to install a MSE update signed with a certificate that expired six years ago. is this legit

quit being a wuss and install it and tell us what happens so we can laff cmon

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i already dismissed that update (and forgot to look at the key details) and then just updated MSE manually and it worked fine

:iiam:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

We see a fair amount of syn/ack traffic hitting our firewall from web servers that didn't originate from our network. It's a fairly trivial amount of traffic that isn't hurting anything from a bandwidth or device CPU standpoint but its enough to notice in statistical analysis. It seems to be spiking at weird times and then goes away. I'm pretty sure we aren't the target and are just getting backscatter from other servers getting hit but I'm having a hard time figuring why they are spoofing our IPs as the src in the first place. Maybe it helps maintain a lower profile for compromised endpoints in a network? Is this a common IPS evasion technique where if the session doesn't get completed because the ACK doesn't come back it gets ignored? It seems like it would be more effort than its worth since ISPs that aren't poo poo should be dropping this traffic before it hits the DDOS target. Obviously some amount gets through in some situation but its so weird.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i guess gchq is an apple shop

:aaa:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It seems like it would be more effort than its worth since ISPs that aren't poo poo should be dropping this traffic before it hits the DDOS target. Obviously some amount gets through in some situation but its so weird.

That first part is the problem, there are a hilarious amount of ISPs who don't even block spoofed traffic from standard single-homed connections where it's really easy. Once you add in multihomed clients who may legitimately send traffic from networks they aren't actively advertising through you it begins to actually get challenging to do well, and a lot of ISPs don't think the costs are worth the benefits because they're generally not on the receiving end.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Content Warning: The Intercept

HIT APP SARAHAH QUIETLY UPLOADS YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

quote:

SARAHAH, A NEW APP that lets people sign up to receive anonymized, candid messages, has been surging in popularity; somewhere north of 18 million people are estimated to have downloaded it from Apple and Google’s online stores, making it the No. 3 most downloaded free software title for iPhones and iPads.

Sarahah bills itself as a way to “receive honest feedback” from friends and employees. But the app is collecting more than just feedback messages.

Teenagers lose again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

“It’s not just, ‘Oh, this company can see my information and I’m OK with that.’ You now have to think about the security of that company.”

thanks professor

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fivehead posted:

Content Warning: The Intercept

HIT APP SARAHAH QUIETLY UPLOADS YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

Teenagers lose again

it's me. i'm the guy using a saudi messaging program. *HASSAN CHOP is heard in the background, head rolls*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo pulse vpns have a setting to enforce a minimum client version so that's nice but its entirely client side and if the client is two minor releases old it completely ignores the setting and stays connected indefinitely what a loving clown show

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi I'm here because yosslack is yosless. What security cert should I get other than CEH

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSCP

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

working on this now, it's hard - but worth it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hi I'm here because yosslack is yosless. What security cert should I get other than CEH

just use let's encrypt

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just use let's encrypt
:haw:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Security+ is right in the name

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I don't know that much about networking but this seems absolutely wild, what

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/nintendo_affected_by_recent_online_issues_in_japan_google_admits_fault

quote:

Initially reported by The Japan Times, various transport companies, banks and the likes of Nintendo saw their services get disrupted due to issues with the networks of NTT Communications Corp. and KDDI Corp. Apparently the problem was caused when an "overseas network service provider that OCN uses suddenly switched internet routes". While it meant Nintendo gamers were affected for a short while, it also caused disruption for those travelling and trying to use smartcards on journeys, for example.

Google was suspected to be culpable for the fault, and BBC has now reported that the company has admitted responsibility for the issue, citing a "network configuration error". Inadvertently Google had 'hijacked' web traffic out of Japan, leading to slow and in some cases failing online services

Tech breakdown here:
https://bgpmon.net/bgp-leak-causing-internet-outages-in-japan-and-beyond/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BGP is hard and kinda relies on everyone not loving up their config (especially when you're as big as google) :shrug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

and you can't really trust google to not gently caress something up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maybe they just got bored of doing it right and decided to just up and stop

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Isn't there a website that visualizes bgp routes and hijacking? And hasn't this been used intentionally by like Russia against Ukraine?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ohgodwhat posted:

Isn't there a website that visualizes bgp routes and hijacking? And hasn't this been used intentionally by like everyone at this point?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bgpmon

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wasn't there a bgp fuckup a couple years ago where a huge chunk of traffic for Europe got routed to some nobody university in Pakistan or something?

I'm honestly surprised bgp fuckups aren't more common.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mrmcd posted:

Wasn't there a bgp fuckup a couple years ago where a huge chunk of traffic for Europe got routed to some nobody university in Pakistan or something?

Are you thinking of Pakistan attempting to null route YouTube

Really there's too many to count.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the worst digimon

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

mrmcd posted:

I remember the time all internet was routed through Iceland, which IIRC would later be revealed by whistleblowers to have been a Tor deanonymization attack by the NSA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Are you thinking of Pakistan attempting to null route YouTube

Really there's too many to count.

BGP hijacks will never not be funny.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hackbunny posted:

I remember the time all internet was routed through Iceland, which IIRC would later be revealed by whistleblowers to have been a Tor deanonymization attack by the NSA

There have been quite a few occasions for continental us IPs getting routed across a transcontinental link and back for a few days which just happen to put that traffic in the purview of the NSA. I do not trust those fuckers.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Notorious BGP

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

working on this now, it's hard - but worth it

" through an arduous twenty-four (24) hour certification exam."

holy moly

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!